Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The best loaf of bread I've ever made, ever

Reposted from rec.food.sourdough. I've used this homemade starter
before to sour and flavor a loaf of bread made with instant dried
yeast because I didn't think it had enough wild yeast to raise the
dough. But I tried it without yeast this time and worked great, it
just took longer.

The bread is soft and kind of chewy, and the crust is thin and
crunchy. And if it behaves anything like the faux sourdough bread
I've made before, it'll stay fresh (mostly) for over a week without
petrifying or molding.

-Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Reposted from rec.food.sourdough. I've used this homemade starter before
> to sour and flavor a loaf of bread made with instant dried yeast because I
> didn't think it had enough wild yeast to raise the dough. But I tried it
> without yeast this time and worked great, it just took longer.
>
> The bread is soft and kind of chewy, and the crust is thin and crunchy.
> And if it behaves anything like the faux sourdough bread I've made before,
> it'll stay fresh (mostly) for over a week without petrifying or molding.
>
> -Bob

Also reposted from rfs:

These days, for all my free-form loaves, I use the NYT baking method. I heat
up a Lodge cast iron dutch oven, and lid, in the oven to 450-500F. I then
tip the proofed dough into it, put on the lid and let it bake for
~30minutes. I then remove the lid and bake for another 15-20 minutes,
depending on the size of the loaf.
I've had too many failures baking from cold although I know it works for
some.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Feb 1, 6:59*am, "graham" > wrote:
> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>
> ...> Reposted from rec.food.sourdough.. *I've used this homemade starter before
> > to sour and flavor a loaf of bread made with instant dried yeast because I
> > didn't think it had enough wild yeast to raise the dough. *But I tried it
> > without yeast this time and worked great, it just took longer.

> > The bread is soft and kind of chewy, and the crust is thin and crunchy.
> > And if it behaves anything like the faux sourdough bread I've made before,
> > it'll stay fresh (mostly) for over a week without petrifying or molding..

> > -Bob

> Also reposted from rfs:
>
> These days, for all my free-form loaves, I use the NYT baking method. I heat
> up a Lodge cast iron dutch oven, and lid, in the oven to 450-500F. *I then
> tip the proofed dough into it, put on the lid and let it bake for
> ~30minutes. *I then remove the lid and bake for another 15-20 minutes,
> depending on the size of the loaf.
> I've had too many failures baking from cold although I know it works for
> some.
> Graham

I use the same methodology and my bread comes out wonderfully. You do
have to make sure you bake it long enough without the lid so that the
bread doesn't come out 'wet'. I learned that over time.

Oat date nut bread machine bread - 1 1/2 lb loaf George Shirley General Cooking 2 05-04-2009 10:36 PM
NYT bread in a loaf pan serene Baking 2 22-01-2007 06:00 PM
NYT bread in a loaf pan serene General Cooking 2 21-01-2007 02:25 PM
Just made a Coconut and Raspberry Loaf PeterL General Cooking 4 27-07-2006 03:00 PM