Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ox roast--looking for a recipe...

....that has been *tried* by folks on this newsgroup. Cuz youse guyses
n gals know what yer talking about... :-)

Ox roast is regional, at least I think it is. The local fire halls
back in central PA used to have "ox roast sandwiches" periodically,
and I've never seen it anywhere else. It looks like beef that has
been cooked first, then ground rather coarsely. It's a very different
texture from browned ground beef; holds together very well, doesn't
fall off the bun like a sloppy joe. And it's *very* moist and
flavorful. Traditionally served on a burger bun with pickle relish.

So I tried making some. How hard can it be? Did a chuck roast in the
slow cooker, shredded it partially by hand. Added some of the liquid
from the pot. Gave it a whirl in the food processor. Tasted it
several times during the grinding; it never got to the right texture,
didn't hold together, did not have the proper flavor.

If you know what I'm talking about, and you've actually made the
stuff, please post a recipe. I've already searched the web and gotten
several recipes. All of them say "thinly sliced" in the recipe so
they're not the right animal.

(It just occurred to me that perhaps an old-fashioned turn-the-crank
meat grinder is what is needed. But I still don't know how to get the
*flavor* of real ox roast. And would the hand grinder give that
texture that holds together so well? Beats me.)
--
Best -- Terry
Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article >,
Terry > wrote:

> ...that has been *tried* by folks on this newsgroup. Cuz youse guyses
> n gals know what yer talking about... :-)
>
> Ox roast is regional, at least I think it is. The local fire halls
> back in central PA used to have "ox roast sandwiches" periodically,
> and I've never seen it anywhere else. It looks like beef that has
> been cooked first, then ground rather coarsely. It's a very different
> texture from browned ground beef; holds together very well, doesn't
> fall off the bun like a sloppy joe. And it's *very* moist and
> flavorful. Traditionally served on a burger bun with pickle relish.
>
> So I tried making some. How hard can it be? Did a chuck roast in the
> slow cooker, shredded it partially by hand. Added some of the liquid
> from the pot. Gave it a whirl in the food processor. Tasted it
> several times during the grinding; it never got to the right texture,
> didn't hold together, did not have the proper flavor.
>
> If you know what I'm talking about, and you've actually made the
> stuff, please post a recipe. I've already searched the web and gotten
> several recipes. All of them say "thinly sliced" in the recipe so
> they're not the right animal.
>
> (It just occurred to me that perhaps an old-fashioned turn-the-crank
> meat grinder is what is needed. But I still don't know how to get the
> *flavor* of real ox roast. And would the hand grinder give that
> texture that holds together so well? Beats me.)

On the flavor front, how is the taste compared to Italian beef
sandwiches?

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Im coming up with the exact same issue!! Ive made it several times and a crank meat grinder works perfectly.
This is the recipe that I use!

***********************
Ox Roast Meat
***********************
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery, with leaves
1/2 cup carrot, chopped
1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
4 cups beef broth
1 (1 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix
4 cups water
salt and coarsely ground pepper to taste
4-6 pounds beef round roast

In a large crockpot/roaster, combine the onion, celery, carrot, pepper, and garlic. Stir in the beef broth, onion soup mix and water so that the soup mix is dissolved. Season the roast with salt and coarse ground pepper, and place into the crockpot/roaster.

Place tempature on low for 8 - 12 hours. Check liquid levels every 1 hour of roasting, begin basting every 30 minutes. Use a meat thermometer to check the temperature, and bake until the internal temperature of the roast reaches 110 degrees F (43 degrees C), you will need to begin checking more often.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, May 23, 2019 at 12:29:06 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> Im coming up with the exact same issue!! Ive made it several times and a crank meat grinder works perfectly.
> This is the recipe that I use!
>
> ***********************
> Ox Roast Meat
> ***********************
> 1/2 cup chopped onion
> 1/2 cup chopped celery, with leaves
> 1/2 cup carrot, chopped
> 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
> 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
> 4 cups beef broth
> 1 (1 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix
> 4 cups water
> salt and coarsely ground pepper to taste
> 4-6 pounds beef round roast
>
> In a large crockpot/roaster, combine the onion, celery, carrot, pepper, and garlic. Stir in the beef broth, onion soup mix and water so that the soup mix is dissolved. Season the roast with salt and coarse ground pepper, and place into the crockpot/roaster.
>
> Place tempature on low for 8 - 12 hours. Check liquid levels every 1 hour of roasting, begin basting every 30 minutes. Use a meat thermometer to check the temperature, and bake until the internal temperature of the roast reaches 110 degrees F (43 degrees C), you will need to begin checking more often.
> When the roast is done, remove the meat to a platter, and set aside. Place the ingredients of the crockpot/roaster into a medium - large stockpot. Cook over medium heat, mashing the vegetables against the side of the pan with a large spoon. Simmer to reduce the sauce to about half. This may take 20 or 30 minutes depending on the size of pan. Strain the juice over the meat, and let it begin to cool in the juices. When the meat has cooled, refrigerate for a few hours or overnight in a tightly sealed container.
> After the roast is cold, remove it from the juices, and slice against the grain as thinly as possible. Using a meat grinder to finish the process. Skim the fat from reserved juices, and heat the meat in the juice over low heat. Adjust seasonings to taste before serving.
> ***********************
>
> **** The trick Ive been told is to cook it all night in a crockpot/roaster. After about 8 - 12 hours (on low) of cooking, put the meat and juices in the fridge overnight to cool. Next day, put it thru the grinder, and then add the meat and juices back into the crockpot/roaster for another 4 - 6 hours on low.

That's interesting. I might have to try that. Sounds delish. Thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 19, 2011 at 4:14:59 PM UTC-5, Terry wrote:
> ...that has been *tried* by folks on this newsgroup. Cuz youse guyses
> n gals know what yer talking about... :-)
>
> Ox roast is regional, at least I think it is. The local fire halls
> back in central PA used to have "ox roast sandwiches" periodically,
> and I've never seen it anywhere else. It looks like beef that has
> been cooked first, then ground rather coarsely. It's a very different
> texture from browned ground beef; holds together very well, doesn't
> fall off the bun like a sloppy joe. And it's *very* moist and
> flavorful. Traditionally served on a burger bun with pickle relish.
>
> So I tried making some. How hard can it be? Did a chuck roast in the
> slow cooker, shredded it partially by hand. Added some of the liquid
> from the pot. Gave it a whirl in the food processor. Tasted it
> several times during the grinding; it never got to the right texture,
> didn't hold together, did not have the proper flavor.
>
> If you know what I'm talking about, and you've actually made the
> stuff, please post a recipe. I've already searched the web and gotten
> several recipes. All of them say "thinly sliced" in the recipe so
> they're not the right animal.
>
> (It just occurred to me that perhaps an old-fashioned turn-the-crank
> meat grinder is what is needed. But I still don't know how to get the
> *flavor* of real ox roast. And would the hand grinder give that
> texture that holds together so well? Beats me.)
> --
> Best -- Terry

Are you suggesting that you would grind the roast like hamburger?????