General Cooking (rec.food.cooking) For general food and cooking discussion. Foods of all kinds, food procurement, cooking methods and techniques, eating, etc.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,166
Default Starbucks Korea Now Using Real Cups


Sounds like a good plan to me.

http://www.arirang.co.kr/News/News_V...Ne2&category=2

Lou
  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned
 
Posts: 5,466
Default Starbucks Korea Now Using Real Cups

On Jan 19, 7:00*am, Lou Decruss > wrote:
> Sounds like a good plan to me.
>
> http://www.arirang.co.kr/News/News_V...&code=Ne2&cate....
>
> Lou


I applaud their efforts. Unfortunately here in the US I suspect
that the vast majority of cups are takeout so they will still use
paper. However, they do use recycled paper and the cups can be
recycled as well.

I love a latte in a ceramic cup...a big round one with the foam
swirled in a pretty pattern.

  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,396
Default Starbucks Korea Now Using Real Cups

On Jan 19, 7:23*am, ImStillMags > wrote:
> On Jan 19, 7:00*am, Lou Decruss > wrote:
>
> > Sounds like a good plan to me.

>
> >http://www.arirang.co.kr/News/News_V...&code=Ne2&cate...

>
> > Lou

>
> I applaud their efforts. * *Unfortunately here in the US I suspect
> that the vast majority of cups are takeout so they will still use
> paper. * *However, they do use recycled paper and the cups can be
> recycled as well.
>
> I love a latte in a ceramic cup...a big round one with the foam
> swirled in a pretty pattern.


I like the giant bowl the French use.

If we really had an Italian coffee culture here, most of the action
would consist of guys rushing up to a tall counter, knocking back a
(china) cup of espresso, and rushing off again.
  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 61,789
Default Starbucks Korea Now Using Real Cups

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 07:23:50 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> On Jan 19, 7:00*am, Lou Decruss > wrote:
> > Sounds like a good plan to me.
> >
> > http://www.arirang.co.kr/News/News_V...&code=Ne2&cate...
> >
> > Lou

>
> I applaud their efforts. Unfortunately here in the US I suspect
> that the vast majority of cups are takeout so they will still use
> paper. However, they do use recycled paper and the cups can be
> recycled as well.
>
> I love a latte in a ceramic cup...a big round one with the foam
> swirled in a pretty pattern.


The Starbucks I go to give you a real mug if you're not ordering take
out.

--

Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,415
Default Starbucks Korea Now Using Real Cups

sf wrote:
>
> The Starbucks I go to give you a real mug if you're not ordering take
> out.


And when you order a mug to go you can specify "own cup" and hand them
your mug. It doesn't work in the drive through lane but it does in the
walk in section. A very tiny number of folks do this but it works fine.


  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 61,789
Default Starbucks Korea Now Using Real Cups

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 22:59:35 +0000 (UTC), Doug Freyburger
> wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >
> > The Starbucks I go to gives you a real mug if you're not ordering take
> > out.

>
> And when you order a mug to go you can specify "own cup" and hand them
> your mug. It doesn't work in the drive through lane but it does in the
> walk in section. A very tiny number of folks do this but it works fine.


Anybody, anywhere can bring their own reusable cup. There are even
reusable coffee cups that look just like disposable cups.

--

Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,415
Default Starbucks Korea Now Using Real Cups

sf wrote:
>
> There are even
> reusable coffee cups that look just like disposable cups.


Those are absolutely hilarious.
  #8 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,609
Default Starbucks Korea Now Using Real Cups

?
"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
...
> On Jan 19, 7:00 am, Lou Decruss > wrote:
>> Sounds like a good plan to me.
>>
>> http://www.arirang.co.kr/News/News_V...&code=Ne2&cate...
>>
>> Lou

>
> I applaud their efforts. Unfortunately here in the US I suspect
> that the vast majority of cups are takeout so they will still use
> paper. However, they do use recycled paper and the cups can be
> recycled as well.


Foam cups can be recycled also. The problem is, we don't. Most times they
just go to the trash and, hopefully, to a trash to energy plant where they
become fuel for a powerplant. Disposables are borderline compared to the
energy of handling and washing a ceramic or glass cup. My choice though, is
a real ceramic mug.

  #9 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 61,789
Default Starbucks Korea Now Using Real Cups

On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 23:05:14 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"
> wrote:

> ?
> "ImStillMags" > wrote in message
> ...
> > On Jan 19, 7:00 am, Lou Decruss > wrote:
> >> Sounds like a good plan to me.
> >>
> >> http://www.arirang.co.kr/News/News_V...&code=Ne2&cate...
> >>
> >> Lou

> >
> > I applaud their efforts. Unfortunately here in the US I suspect
> > that the vast majority of cups are takeout so they will still use
> > paper. However, they do use recycled paper and the cups can be
> > recycled as well.

>
> Foam cups can be recycled also. The problem is, we don't. Most times they
> just go to the trash and, hopefully, to a trash to energy plant where they
> become fuel for a powerplant. Disposables are borderline compared to the
> energy of handling and washing a ceramic or glass cup.


Borderline? What about the bad things we need to be aware of with
plastics? Styrofoam is a plastic AFAIK.

--

Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  #10 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 36,804
Default Starbucks Korea Now Using Real Cups


"sf" > wrote in message
...
> On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 07:23:50 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags
> > wrote:
>
>> On Jan 19, 7:00 am, Lou Decruss > wrote:
>> > Sounds like a good plan to me.
>> >
>> > http://www.arirang.co.kr/News/News_V...&code=Ne2&cate...
>> >
>> > Lou

>>
>> I applaud their efforts. Unfortunately here in the US I suspect
>> that the vast majority of cups are takeout so they will still use
>> paper. However, they do use recycled paper and the cups can be
>> recycled as well.
>>
>> I love a latte in a ceramic cup...a big round one with the foam
>> swirled in a pretty pattern.

>
> The Starbucks I go to give you a real mug if you're not ordering take
> out.
>

Thank Bast there isn't a Starbuck's here! I finally broke down and bought a
cup when I was moving. I've never tasted such bad coffee. Who cares if you
can bring your own mug? It tastes like they burned the beans. It's just
gawd awful. I like my coffee black and strong but definitely not like the
crap they're selling for $5 a cup.

Jill



  #11 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 61,789
Default Starbucks Korea Now Using Real Cups

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 06:11:14 -0500, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>
> "sf" > wrote in message
> ...
> > On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 07:23:50 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags
> > > wrote:
> >
> >>
> >> I love a latte in a ceramic cup...a big round one with the foam
> >> swirled in a pretty pattern.

> >
> > The Starbucks I go to give you a real mug if you're not ordering take
> > out.
> >

> Thank Bast there isn't a Starbuck's here! I finally broke down and bought a
> cup when I was moving. I've never tasted such bad coffee. Who cares if you
> can bring your own mug? It tastes like they burned the beans. It's just
> gawd awful. I like my coffee black and strong but definitely not like the
> crap they're selling for $5 a cup.
>

Huh. I don't have a clue about your taste in coffee, but I know most
of Starbucks haters don't have my taste. I went to Starbucks a few
weeks ago after a long hiatus (in terms of years). I don't go to
coffee shops very often and if I have a choice, it's Peets. Anyway, I
had no issue with the quality of Starbuck's coffee, but I thought the
brew was too weak. I ordered regular coffee, not a frou frou
something or other with foam on it, and it wasn't even close to $5.


--

Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  #12 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,396
Default Starbucks Korea Now Using Real Cups

On Jan 20, 8:05*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
> ?"ImStillMags" > wrote in message



> > I applaud their efforts. * *Unfortunately here in the US I suspect
> > that the vast majority of cups are takeout so they will still use
> > paper. * *However, they do use recycled paper and the cups can be
> > recycled as well.

>
> Foam cups can be recycled also. *The problem is, we don't. *Most times they
> just go to the trash and, hopefully, to a trash to energy plant where they
> become fuel for a powerplant. * *Disposables are borderline compared to the
> energy of handling and washing a ceramic or glass cup. *My choice though, is
> a real ceramic mug.


Foamed plastics are no longer accepted for recycling where I live,
even though they have great big recyclable symbols molded into them. I
used to wash all the meat trays -- I still hate to throw them away now.
  #13 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 36,804
Default Starbucks Korea Now Using Real Cups


"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
>> Thank Bast there isn't a Starbuck's here! I finally broke down and
>> bought a cup when I was moving. I've never tasted such bad coffee.
>> Who cares if you can bring your own mug? It tastes like they burned
>> the beans. It's just gawd awful. I like my coffee black and strong
>> but definitely not like the crap they're selling for $5 a cup.

>
>
> Jill,
>
> I'm not a fan of Starbucks either.
>
> I don't see real ceramic mugs as a customer benefit. Paper cups are
> conveniently disposable and sanitary (if you don't use your own mug).
>
> Unlike "bottomless" cups of coffee like at many restaurants/diners,
> Starbucks is very stingy about their serving sizes for the price.
>
> Whether or not South Korea feels that real mugs are a luxury treatment,
> I doubt it would succeed here in America.
>
> For three or four surrounding towns here, thankfully we've only let one
> Starbucks open.
>
> In NYC, somewhere, there are two Starbucks directly across the street
> from each other.
>
> Now they're also called "Seattle's Best" coffee. Thay spoiled their
> image AND name.
>
> Best,
>
> Andy


When I was taking classes I'd go to McDonald's (yes, I went to McD's) for
coffee. It was an endless cup of coffee for 50 cents. Wonderful coffee.
No lattes, no fancy barista foamed creations. Just coffee. It's the kind I
make at home. Coffee

Jill

  #14 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,396
Default Starbucks Korea Now Using Real Cups

On Jan 21, 8:38*am, sf > wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 06:11:14 -0500, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> > "sf" > wrote in message
> .. .
> > > On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 07:23:50 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags
> > > > wrote:

>
> > >> I love a latte in a ceramic cup...a big round one with the foam
> > >> swirled in a pretty pattern.

>
> > > The Starbucks I go to give you a real mug if you're not ordering take
> > > out.

>
> > Thank Bast there isn't a Starbuck's here! *I finally broke down and bought a
> > cup when I was moving. *I've never tasted such bad coffee. *Who cares if you
> > can bring your own mug? *It tastes like they burned the beans. *It's just
> > gawd awful. *I like my coffee black and strong but definitely not like the
> > crap they're selling for $5 a cup.

>
> Huh. *I don't have a clue about your taste in coffee, but I know most
> of Starbucks haters don't have my taste. *I went to Starbucks a few
> weeks ago after a long hiatus (in terms of years). *I don't go to
> coffee shops very often and if I have a choice, it's Peets. *Anyway, I
> had no issue with the quality of Starbuck's coffee, but I thought the
> brew was too weak. *I ordered regular coffee, not a frou frou
> something or other with foam on it, and it wasn't even close to $5.
>


Starbucks just sells that Pike Place garbage any more. You can get a
better cup at McDonald's.
  #15 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 61,789
Default Starbucks Korea Now Using Real Cups

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 11:03:33 -0600, Andy > wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
> > When I was taking classes I'd go to McDonald's (yes, I went to McD's)
> > for coffee. It was an endless cup of coffee for 50 cents. Wonderful
> > coffee. No lattes, no fancy barista foamed creations. Just coffee.
> > It's the kind I make at home. Coffee

>
>
> Jill,
>
> Right!
>
> If I wanted a very good cup of coffee, I'd stop into a McD's too!
>

I agree, they have excellent coffee.

--

Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.


  #16 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 61,789
Default Starbucks Korea Now Using Real Cups

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 08:43:59 -0800 (PST), spamtrap1888
> wrote:

> You can get a better cup at McDonald's.


That's exactly what I concluded. I was only there because I was early
for an appointment and it was downstairs from where I was to be.
Shoulda gone upstairs and gotten a free cuppa coffee from there, but I
*so* wanted a bagel with cream cheese and lox... You can only imagine
how I felt ending up with no bagel and a horrible, weak cup of coffee.


--

Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  #17 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,415
Default Starbucks Korea Now Using Real Cups

jmcquown wrote:
> sf wrote:
>
> > The Starbucks I go to give you a real mug if you're not ordering take
> > out.


At a lot of them you need to stay "for here" because such a large
percentage of their business is to go even at their walk up counter.

> Thank Bast there isn't a Starbuck's here! I finally broke down and bought a
> cup when I was moving. I've never tasted such bad coffee. Who cares if you
> can bring your own mug? It tastes like they burned the beans. It's just
> gawd awful. I like my coffee black and strong but definitely not like the
> crap they're selling for $5 a cup.


If you got the drip coffee at a Starbucks you didn't get their main
product. Sort of like going to a McDonalds and ordering the chicken
sandwich. There drip is unimpressive.

Folks who like bitter like their esspresso very much. I bet you have a
stronger than average dislike of bitter so the slightly darker roast
they use in their esspresso tastes burned to me. I have a stronger
than average like of bitter so the slightly darker roast they use in
their esspresso tastes good to me. It does make their esspresso drinks
not last though. Within an hour they have lost most of their appeal.

My brother says that one day the folks at the original Starbucks burnt
their coffee and then were surprised that it sold well. The rest is
history. My brother has a stronger than average dislike of bitter.
  #18 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,396
Default Starbucks Korea Now Using Real Cups

On Jan 21, 10:14*am, Doug Freyburger > wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
> > sf wrote:

>


> > Thank Bast there isn't a Starbuck's here! *I finally broke down and bought a
> > cup when I was moving. *I've never tasted such bad coffee. *Who cares if you
> > can bring your own mug? *It tastes like they burned the beans. *It's just
> > gawd awful. *I like my coffee black and strong but definitely not like the
> > crap they're selling for $5 a cup.

>
> If you got the drip coffee at a Starbucks you didn't get their main
> product. *Sort of like going to a McDonalds and ordering the chicken
> sandwich. *There drip is unimpressive.


But their drip _used_ to be impressive, that's the problem. They used
to feature coffees from all over the world, two different coffees
every day. Now they serve only braunwasser every day.

  #19 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,415
Default Starbucks Korea Now Using Real Cups

jmcquown wrote:
>
> When I was taking classes I'd go to McDonald's (yes, I went to McD's) for
> coffee. It was an endless cup of coffee for 50 cents. Wonderful coffee.
> No lattes, no fancy barista foamed creations. Just coffee. It's the kind I
> make at home. Coffee


For drip coffee I find Burger King to be surprisingly good at some of
their stores yet no different from McDonalds at other of their stores.
  #20 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 61,789
Default Starbucks Korea Now Using Real Cups

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 19:59:09 -0600, BubbaBob
> wrote:

> Maybe someday they'll start using real coffee, too, instead of charcoal.
> But I'm not holding my breath.


If that's your only problem, you never did like Starbucks and you
never will.

--

Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.


  #21 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 974
Default Starbucks Korea Now Using Real Cups

In article >,
says...
>
> On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 23:05:14 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"
> > wrote:
>
> > ?
> > "ImStillMags" > wrote in message
> > ...
> > > On Jan 19, 7:00 am, Lou Decruss > wrote:
> > >> Sounds like a good plan to me.
> > >>
> > >>
http://www.arirang.co.kr/News/News_V...&code=Ne2&cate...
> > >>
> > >> Lou
> > >
> > > I applaud their efforts. Unfortunately here in the US I suspect
> > > that the vast majority of cups are takeout so they will still use
> > > paper. However, they do use recycled paper and the cups can be
> > > recycled as well.

> >
> > Foam cups can be recycled also. The problem is, we don't. Most times they
> > just go to the trash and, hopefully, to a trash to energy plant where they
> > become fuel for a powerplant. Disposables are borderline compared to the
> > energy of handling and washing a ceramic or glass cup.

>
> Borderline? What about the bad things we need to be aware of with
> plastics? Styrofoam is a plastic AFAIK.


What bad things?

The real question is whether they're allowed to recycle the cups. McD
at one time went to 100 percent recycleable packaging and set up to
recycle all of it. They were informed by the government that they would
not be allowed to do this because it was "contaminated with food". It
seems to me that the same would apply to coffee cups.




  #23 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8,635
Default Starbucks Korea Now Using Real Cups

J. Clarke > wrote:

>Dunno whether it's still so but the consensus among coffee aficionados a
>few years ago was that the best bet in coffee-to-go was Dunkin Donuts.


Thought it was a tie between DD and Tim Horton's.

Steve
  #25 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,609
Default Starbucks Korea Now Using Real Cups

?
"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
...
> J. Clarke > wrote:
>
>>Dunno whether it's still so but the consensus among coffee aficionados a
>>few years ago was that the best bet in coffee-to-go was Dunkin Donuts.

>
> Thought it was a tie between DD and Tim Horton's.
>
> Steve


Horton's pulled out of New England. DD is good, but McD has Newman's Own
and is very good. Any size $1 too.



  #26 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,609
Default Starbucks Korea Now Using Real Cups

?
"J. Clarke" > wrote
>> >
>> > Foam cups can be recycled also. The problem is, we don't. Most times
>> > they
>> > just go to the trash and, hopefully, to a trash to energy plant where
>> > they
>> > become fuel for a powerplant. Disposables are borderline compared to
>> > the
>> > energy of handling and washing a ceramic or glass cup.

>>
>> Borderline? What about the bad things we need to be aware of with
>> plastics? Styrofoam is a plastic AFAIK.

>
> What bad things?
>
> The real question is whether they're allowed to recycle the cups.


Correct. The cups are not Styrofoam either. Styrofoam is a brand name for
Dow Chemical extruded insulating board. The cups are made from expandable
polystyrene bead and molded and are safe for food contact. It contains no
toxins. Polystyrene can also be extruded and thermoformed for meat trays,
takeout food containers and the like.

  #27 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,396
Default Starbucks Korea Now Using Real Cups

On Feb 6, 7:35*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
> ?
> "J. Clarke" > wrote
>
>
>
> >> > Foam cups can be recycled also. *The problem is, we don't. *Most times
> >> > they
> >> > just go to the trash and, hopefully, to a trash to energy plant where
> >> > they
> >> > become fuel for a powerplant. * *Disposables are borderline compared to
> >> > the
> >> > energy of handling and washing a ceramic or glass cup.

>
> >> Borderline? *What about the bad things we need to be aware of with
> >> plastics? *Styrofoam is a plastic AFAIK.

>
> > What bad things?

>
> > The real question is whether they're allowed to recycle the cups.

>
> Correct. *The cups are not Styrofoam either. *Styrofoam is a brand name for
> Dow Chemical extruded insulating board. The cups are made from expandable
> polystyrene bead and molded and are safe for food contact. *It contains no
> toxins. *Polystyrene can also be extruded and thermoformed for meat trays,
> takeout food containers and the like.


That might be what Dow uses the trademark for now, but originally
styrofoam had quite a different purpose:

International Class Code(s): 019
US Class Code(s): 012
Primary Class: Vehicles; apparatus for locomotion by land, air, or
water.
Class(es) Status: Active
First Use Anywhe 9/11/1945
First Use In Commerce: 9/11/1945
  #28 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,415
Default Starbucks Korea Now Using Real Cups

Steve Pope wrote:
> J. Clarke > wrote:
>
>>Dunno whether it's still so but the consensus among coffee aficionados a
>>few years ago was that the best bet in coffee-to-go was Dunkin Donuts.

>
> Thought it was a tie between DD and Tim Horton's.


Maybe. The last time I was in Tim Horton's territory to visit my folks
I thought their coffee was noticably inferior to Dunkin Donuts. My wife
said Horton donuts were noticably better than Dunkin. Close to a wash.

For drip coffee Caribou Coffee also tends to rank high in surveys. They
are Minnesota based. I've seen their stores as far from there as
Raleigh, NC but they are not national in span.
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Free Starbucks 4 U - Winner of Last Weeks $20 Starbucks Gift Card [email protected] Coffee 0 12-12-2006 09:12 PM
Free Starbucks 4 U - Winner of Last Weeks $20 Starbucks Gift Card [email protected] General Cooking 0 12-12-2006 09:12 PM
Free Starbucks 4 U - Winner of Last Weeks $20 Starbucks Gift Card [email protected] Recipes 0 12-12-2006 09:11 PM
Free Starbucks 4 U - Winner of Last Weeks $20 Starbucks Card [email protected] General 0 11-12-2006 05:45 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2024 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"