Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Closer To Southern Cornbread

Well closer than I usually make. I did my usual thing with the recipe
off the back of the Quaker paper drum but added half a can of creamed
corn. I adjust the flour and added a bit more corn. Usually I use a
9X9 baking dish but this time I used a pyrex loaf pan. I've never
understood CB as a side for chili but I can see it working just fine
with what came out of the oven. The stuff came out great. Even you
die hard no sugar folks can't say this doesn't look good.

http://i55.tinypic.com/fd68ba.jpg

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Dec 22, 10:04*am, Lou Decruss > wrote:
> Well closer than I usually make. *I did my usual thing with the recipe
> off the back of the Quaker paper drum but added half a can of creamed
> corn. *I adjust the flour and added a bit more corn. *Usually I use a
> 9X9 baking dish but this time I used a pyrex loaf pan. *I've never
> understood CB as a side for chili but I can see it working just fine
> with what came out of the oven. *The stuff came out great. *Even you
> die hard no sugar folks can't say this doesn't look good.
>
> http://i55.tinypic.com/fd68ba.jpg*
>
> Lou

Love ya Lew, but........not crusty enough, too thick. I prefer my
cornbread made in my cast iron skillet so I can get a good crust on
there.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 10:07:32 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>On Dec 22, 10:04*am, Lou Decruss > wrote:
>> Well closer than I usually make. *I did my usual thing with the recipe
>> off the back of the Quaker paper drum but added half a can of creamed
>> corn. *I adjust the flour and added a bit more corn. *Usually I use a
>> 9X9 baking dish but this time I used a pyrex loaf pan. *I've never
>> understood CB as a side for chili but I can see it working just fine
>> with what came out of the oven. *The stuff came out great. *Even you
>> die hard no sugar folks can't say this doesn't look good.
>>
>> http://i55.tinypic.com/fd68ba.jpg*
>>
>> Lou

>Love ya Lew, but........not crusty enough, too thick. I prefer my
>cornbread made in my cast iron skillet so I can get a good crust on
>there.

I toasted it and we had it with sausages and eggs. It was crunchy.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Dec 22, 10:13*am, Lou Decruss > wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 10:07:32 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags
>

> > wrote:
> >On Dec 22, 10:04 am, Lou Decruss > wrote:
> >> Well closer than I usually make. I did my usual thing with the recipe
> >> off the back of the Quaker paper drum but added half a can of creamed
> >> corn. I adjust the flour and added a bit more corn. Usually I use a
> >> 9X9 baking dish but this time I used a pyrex loaf pan. I've never
> >> understood CB as a side for chili but I can see it working just fine
> >> with what came out of the oven. The stuff came out great. Even you
> >> die hard no sugar folks can't say this doesn't look good.

> >>http://i55.tinypic.com/fd68ba.jpg

> >> Lou

> >Love ya Lew, but........not crusty enough, too thick. *I prefer my
> >cornbread made in my cast iron skillet so I can get a good crust on
> >there.

> I toasted it and we had it with sausages and eggs. *It was crunchy.
>
> Lou- Hide quoted text -

I bet it was tasty, it looks tasty.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/22/2010 12:04 PM, Lou Decruss wrote:

> Well closer than I usually make. I did my usual thing with the recipe
> off the back of the Quaker paper drum but added half a can of creamed
> corn. I adjust the flour and added a bit more corn. Usually I use a
> 9X9 baking dish but this time I used a pyrex loaf pan. I've never
> understood CB as a side for chili but I can see it working just fine
> with what came out of the oven. The stuff came out great. Even you
> die hard no sugar folks can't say this doesn't look good.
>
> http://i55.tinypic.com/fd68ba.jpg
>
> Lou

Only a heathern puts sugar in cornbread. <G>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 10:07:32 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> On Dec 22, 10:04*am, Lou Decruss > wrote:
> > Well closer than I usually make. *I did my usual thing with the recipe
> > off the back of the Quaker paper drum but added half a can of creamed
> > corn. *I adjust the flour and added a bit more corn. *Usually I use a
> > 9X9 baking dish but this time I used a pyrex loaf pan. *I've never
> > understood CB as a side for chili but I can see it working just fine
> > with what came out of the oven. *The stuff came out great. *Even you
> > die hard no sugar folks can't say this doesn't look good.
> >
> > http://i55.tinypic.com/fd68ba.jpg*
> >
> > Lou

> Love ya Lew, but........not crusty enough, too thick. I prefer my
> cornbread made in my cast iron skillet so I can get a good crust on
> there.

How thick do you want a crust? That was thick. I've made cornbread
in a preheated skillet and I don't think it got any thicker.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/22/2010 3:20 PM, George Shirley wrote:

>> http://i55.tinypic.com/fd68ba.jpg
>>
>> Lou

> Only a heathern puts sugar in cornbread. <G>

Ha-ha! I have been adding a little sugar to my cornbread and I like it.
When I make cornbread to make dressing, I do not add sugar.

It is nice to see you back!

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 12:04:18 -0600, Lou Decruss
> wrote:

>Well closer than I usually make. I did my usual thing with the recipe
>off the back of the Quaker paper drum but added half a can of creamed
>corn. I adjust the flour and added a bit more corn. Usually I use a
>9X9 baking dish but this time I used a pyrex loaf pan. I've never
>understood CB as a side for chili but I can see it working just fine
>with what came out of the oven. The stuff came out great. Even you
>die hard no sugar folks can't say this doesn't look good.
>
>http://i55.tinypic.com/fd68ba.jpg
>
>Lou

Wow, that's a great shot. It looks absolutely delicious.

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com
Updated 12/12/10

Natural Watkins Spices
www.apinchofspices.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I put a smidge of sugar in my cornbread, too, but not when I'm going
to make dressing with that bread.

I also prefer a caste iron skillet, heated to the almost smoking
point.

Nor do I get appeal of chili and cornbread.

Your cornbread looks great, honestly it almost looks like pound cake!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 23 Dec 2010 05:06:34 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

> On Wed 22 Dec 2010 02:23:44p, sf told us...
>
> > On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 10:07:32 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags
> > > wrote:

> >> Love ya Lew, but........not crusty enough, too thick. I prefer
> >> my cornbread made in my cast iron skillet so I can get a good
> >> crust on there.

> > How thick do you want a crust? That was thick. I've made
> > cornbread in a preheated skillet and I don't think it got any
> > thicker.

> Did you have enough fat in the skillet, and was the fat literally
> smoking hot before you poured in the batter? Did you bake it at a
> minimum of 425-450°F.?

Did you look at the image? That crust was thick! Anything thicker
would be gross, burned.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On 23 Dec 2010 05:06:34 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>> On Wed 22 Dec 2010 02:23:44p, sf told us...
>>
>> > On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 10:07:32 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags

>> > How thick do you want a crust? That was thick. I've made
>> > cornbread in a preheated skillet and I don't think it got any
>> > thicker.

>> Did you have enough fat in the skillet, and was the fat literally
>> smoking hot before you poured in the batter? Did you bake it at a
>> minimum of 425-450°F.?

> Did you look at the image? That crust was thick! Anything thicker
> would be gross, burned.

Have you ever actually *had* southern cornbread? That was made in a loaf
pan, not a skillet. No one in the southern U.S. uses a loaf pan for
cornbread. We use cast iron skillets. And we cut it into quarters. We
don't slice it like white bread

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 23, 8:16*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> "sf" > wrote in message

> > On 23 Dec 2010 05:06:34 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > > wrote:

> >> On Wed 22 Dec 2010 02:23:44p, sf told us...

> >> Did you have enough fat in the skillet, and was the fat literally
> >> smoking hot before you poured in the batter? *Did you bake it at a
> >> minimum of 425-450 F.?

> > Did you look at the image? *That crust was thick! *Anything thicker
> > would be gross, burned.

> Have you ever actually *had* southern cornbread? *That was made in a loaf
> pan, not a skillet. *No one in the southern U.S. uses a loaf pan for
> cornbread. *We use cast iron skillets. *And we cut it into quarters. *We
> don't slice it like white bread
>
> Jill- Hide quoted text -

We don't use no steekin' flour, corn, or sugar in our crusty, crunchy
cornbread. I usually just make it on top of the stove for my husband
and me in a cast iron, smokin' hot skillet and the more bacon
drippings it's floating in, the better!
My mother-in-law used to say you had to put your heart in cornbread,
and she made it everyday for lunch(dinner).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Libby wrote:
>"jmcquown" wrote:
>
>> Have you ever actually *had* southern cornbread? *That was made in a loaf
>> pan, not a skillet. *No one in the southern U.S. uses a loaf pan for
>> cornbread. *We use cast iron skillets. *And we cut it into quarters. *We
>> don't slice it like white bread
>>
>> Jill

>We don't use no steekin' flour, corn, or sugar in our crusty, crunchy
>cornbread. I usually just make it on top of the stove for my husband
>and me in a cast iron, smokin' hot skillet and the more bacon
>drippings it's floating in, the better!

I don't see how the shape of the bakeware matters one iota, some use
those cutesy cast iron corn ear molds, some the wedge shaped molds, I
make mine in those over sized muffin pans and sometimes in those
muffin top pans, I want a thick brown crust all around, no cutting
into that exposes innards... and I don't want any steenkin' bacon
greeze (or anything else) fercockting up the corn flavor other than
lotsa buddah... but with no corn what makes yours cornbread?!?!?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 05:27:43 -0800 (PST), Libby >
wrote:

>On Dec 23, 8:16*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>> "sf" > wrote in message

>> > On 23 Dec 2010 05:06:34 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

>> > Did you look at the image? *That crust was thick! *Anything thicker
>> > would be gross, burned.

>> Have you ever actually *had* southern cornbread? *That was made in a loaf
>> pan, not a skillet. *No one in the southern U.S. uses a loaf pan for
>> cornbread. *We use cast iron skillets. *And we cut it into quarters. *We
>> don't slice it like white bread
>>
>> Jill- Hide quoted text -

>We don't use no steekin' flour, corn, or sugar in our crusty, crunchy
>cornbread. I usually just make it on top of the stove for my husband
>and me in a cast iron, smokin' hot skillet and the more bacon
>drippings it's floating in, the better!
>My mother-in-law used to say you had to put your heart in cornbread,
>and she made it everyday for lunch(dinner).

Cornbread threads are as funny as ketchup on hot dog threads.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lou Decruss" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 05:27:43 -0800 (PST), Libby >
> wrote:

>>> Have you ever actually *had* southern cornbread? That was made in a
>>> loaf
>>> pan, not a skillet. No one in the southern U.S. uses a loaf pan for
>>> cornbread. We use cast iron skillets. And we cut it into quarters. We
>>> don't slice it like white bread
>>>
>>> Jill- Hide quoted text -

>>We don't use no steekin' flour, corn, or sugar in our crusty, crunchy
>>cornbread. I usually just make it on top of the stove for my husband
>>and me in a cast iron, smokin' hot skillet and the more bacon
>>drippings it's floating in, the better!
>>My mother-in-law used to say you had to put your heart in cornbread,
>>and she made it everyday for lunch(dinner).

> Cornbread threads are as funny as ketchup on hot dog threads.

Hey, Lou! You make what *you* enjoy... let them have what they like..
doesn't have to be the same
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 05:27:43 -0800 (PST), Libby >
> wrote:

>>> Have you ever actually *had* southern cornbread? That was made in
>>> loaf pan, not a skillet. No one in the southern U.S. uses a loaf
>>> pan for cornbread. We use cast iron skillets. And we cut it into
>>> quarters. We don't slice it like white bread
>>>
>>> Jill- Hide quoted text -

>> We don't use no steekin' flour, corn, or sugar in our crusty,
>> crunchy
>> cornbread. I usually just make it on top of the stove for my
>> husband
>> and me in a cast iron, smokin' hot skillet and the more bacon
>> drippings it's floating in, the better!
>> My mother-in-law used to say you had to put your heart in
>> cornbread,
>> and she made it everyday for lunch(dinner).

> Cornbread threads are as funny as ketchup on hot dog threads.
>
> Lou

Looks great! Just call it Chicago cornbread and that'll take care of
it.

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 23 Dec 2010 05:04:13 GMT, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Wed 22 Dec 2010 02:20:48p, George Shirley told us...
>
>> On 12/22/2010 12:04 PM, Lou Decruss wrote:
>>>
>>> Well closer than I usually make. I did my usual thing with the
>>> recipe off the back of the Quaker paper drum but added half a can
>>> of creamed corn. I adjust the flour and added a bit more corn.
>>> Usually I use a 9X9 baking dish but this time I used a pyrex loaf
>>> pan. I've never understood CB as a side for chili but I can see
>>> it working just fine with what came out of the oven. The stuff
>>> came out great. Even you die hard no sugar folks can't say this
>>> doesn't look good.
>>>
>>> http://i55.tinypic.com/fd68ba.jpg
>>>
>>> Lou

>> Only a heathern puts sugar in cornbread. <G>
>>

> Or creamed corn or flour! That just *isn't* southern cornbread.

that's o.k. - lou's not a southerner.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 08:16:54 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On 23 Dec 2010 05:06:34 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> On Wed 22 Dec 2010 02:23:44p, sf told us...

>>> Did you have enough fat in the skillet, and was the fat literally
>>> smoking hot before you poured in the batter? Did you bake it at a
>>> minimum of 425-450°F.?

>> Did you look at the image? That crust was thick! Anything thicker
>> would be gross, burned.
>>

> Have you ever actually *had* southern cornbread? That was made in a loaf
> pan, not a skillet. No one in the southern U.S. uses a loaf pan for
> cornbread. We use cast iron skillets. And we cut it into quarters. We
> don't slice it like white bread
>
> Jill

no wonder you lost the war.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 05:27:43 -0800 (PST), Libby wrote:

> On Dec 23, 8:16*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>>
>> Have you ever actually *had* southern cornbread? *That was made in a loaf
>> pan, not a skillet. *No one in the southern U.S. uses a loaf pan for
>> cornbread. *We use cast iron skillets. *And we cut it into quarters. *We
>> don't slice it like white bread
>>
>> Jill- Hide quoted text -

> We don't use no steekin' flour, corn, or sugar in our crusty, crunchy
> cornbread. I usually just make it on top of the stove for my husband
> and me in a cast iron, smokin' hot skillet and the more bacon
> drippings it's floating in, the better!
> My mother-in-law used to say you had to put your heart in cornbread,
> and she made it everyday for lunch(dinner).

what is the stovetop technique?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 08:56:29 -0600, Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 05:27:43 -0800 (PST), Libby >
> wrote:
>
>>On Dec 23, 8:16*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>>>
>>> Have you ever actually *had* southern cornbread? *That was made in a loaf
>>> pan, not a skillet. *No one in the southern U.S. uses a loaf pan for
>>> cornbread. *We use cast iron skillets. *And we cut it into quarters. *We
>>> don't slice it like white bread
>>>
>>> Jill- Hide quoted text -

>>We don't use no steekin' flour, corn, or sugar in our crusty, crunchy
>>cornbread. I usually just make it on top of the stove for my husband
>>and me in a cast iron, smokin' hot skillet and the more bacon
>>drippings it's floating in, the better!
>>My mother-in-law used to say you had to put your heart in cornbread,
>>and she made it everyday for lunch(dinner).

> Cornbread threads are as funny as ketchup on hot dog threads.
>
> Lou

we need to work 'authentic texas chili' into it somehow. authentic texas
cornbread chili dogs?

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
. 190.71...
> On Thu 23 Dec 2010 08:03:19a, Ophelia told us...
>

>> "Lou Decruss" > wrote in message

>>> Cornbread threads are as funny as ketchup on hot dog threads.

>> Hey, Lou! You make what *you* enjoy... let them have what they
>> like.. doesn't have to be the same

> I agree, but what he made should be called *southern* cornbread. It
> definitely isn't.

I reckon he can call it whatever he likes

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
. 190.71...
> On Thu 23 Dec 2010 08:03:19a, Ophelia told us...
>

>> "Lou Decruss" > wrote in message

>>> Cornbread threads are as funny as ketchup on hot dog threads.

>> Hey, Lou! You make what *you* enjoy... let them have what they
>> like.. doesn't have to be the same

> I agree, but what he made should be called *southern* cornbread. It
> definitely isn't.

I reckon he can call it whatever he likes If he wants to call it a
daffodil then let him!!

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> Have you ever actually *had* southern cornbread?

I guess you missed the part about me making cornbread in a cast iron
skillet.

> That was made in a loaf
> pan, not a skillet. No one in the southern U.S. uses a loaf pan for
> cornbread. We use cast iron skillets. And we cut it into quarters. We
> don't slice it like white bread

So what? Did you look at the crust or not? I wouldn't want anything
thicker. It looked like it was a good quarter inch and that's enough
for me.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l, not -l" > wrote in message

> On 23-Dec-2010, "Ophelia" > wrote:
>

>> > I agree, but what he made should be called *southern* cornbread. It
>> > definitely isn't.

>> I reckon he can call it whatever he likes

> And we can call you BryanGSimmons, right? After all, you're both mammals,
> therefore, the same thing. ;-)

Sure and I call you Sheldon... with you both being mamals too, ok?
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l, not -l" > wrote in message

> On 23-Dec-2010, "Ophelia" > wrote:
>

>> > I agree, but what he made should be called *southern* cornbread. It
>> > definitely isn't.

>> I reckon he can call it whatever he likes

> And we can call you BryanGSimmons, right? After all, you're both mammals,
> therefore, the same thing. ;-)

Sure and I will call you Sheldon... with you both being mammals, therefore
the same thing.. ok?))))
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

>>> I reckon he can call it whatever he likes

>> And we can call you BryanGSimmons, right? After all, you're both
>> mammals,
>> therefore, the same thing. ;-)

> Sure and I call you Sheldon... with you both being mamals too, ok?
> Oooops this went before I was QUITE finished LOL
> https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l, not -l" > wrote in message

> On 23-Dec-2010, "Ophelia" > wrote:
>
>> Sure and I call you Sheldon... with you both being mamals too, ok?

> No, I wanna be Johnny Paycheck. Please, please. . .

Too late... muhahahahahahaha
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 23 Dec 2010 22:26:57 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

> I reckon he can, but calling it that doesn't make is so.

I didn't think he claimed it was "Southern", he called it "*Closer* to
Southern". Maybe it's South Side Chicago cornbread.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 23 Dec 2010 16:12:49 GMT, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> Cornbread threads are as funny as ketchup on hot dog threads.

>> Hey, Lou! You make what *you* enjoy... let them have what they
>> like.. doesn't have to be the same

> I agree, but what he made should be called *southern* cornbread. It
> definitely isn't.

well, he did say 'closer to' in the header.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 19:13:16 -0000, Ophelia wrote:

>>> I reckon he can call it whatever he likes

>> And we can call you BryanGSimmons, right? After all, you're both mammals,
>> therefore, the same thing. ;-)

> Sure and I call you Sheldon... with you both being mamals too, ok?
> --

i wouldn't be too sure about sheldon. some say insect, some say lizard.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> <g> I reckon so. I just cringe when I see "southern" and "cornbrad"
> in the same sentence and I know that it isn't southern cornbread. :-)

What is worse, is hearing phony Southern accents, like Kyra Sedgwick in
The Closer. I recently watched her show three times, it is good, but I
have to get over that accent to enjoy it.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 19:13:16 -0000, Ophelia wrote:

>>> And we can call you BryanGSimmons, right? After all, you're both
>>> mammals,
>>> therefore, the same thing. ;-)

>> Sure and I call you Sheldon... with you both being mamals too, ok?
>> --

> i wouldn't be too sure about sheldon. some say insect, some say lizard.

hmmm....

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>"blake murphy" > wrote
>
> i wouldn't be too sure about sheldon. some say insect, some say lizard.

Lizards have four legs, insects six... you have no legs, that makes
you a slug with a brain to match, mick.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 14:40:28 -0600, Ema Nymton wrote:

> On 12/23/2010 6:32 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> <g> I reckon so. I just cringe when I see "southern" and "cornbrad"
>> in the same sentence and I know that it isn't southern cornbread. :-)

> What is worse, is hearing phony Southern accents, like Kyra Sedgwick in
> The Closer. I recently watched her show three times, it is good, but I
> have to get over that accent to enjoy it.
>
> Becca

i think a southern accent is hard to do unless you've grown up with it.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 23, 4:48*pm, sf > wrote:
> On 23 Dec 2010 22:26:57 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
>
> > wrote:
> > I reckon he can, but calling it that doesn't make is so.

> I didn't think he claimed it was "Southern", he called it "*Closer* to
> Southern". *Maybe it's South Side Chicago cornbread.

A lot of folks on Chicago's South Side have their roots in the South.
They use cornbread for pizza crust in Chicago. Ick.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Dec 2010 12:54:47 -0500, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 14:40:28 -0600, Ema Nymton wrote:
>
>> On 12/23/2010 6:32 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> <g> I reckon so. I just cringe when I see "southern" and "cornbrad"
>>> in the same sentence and I know that it isn't southern cornbread. :-)

>> What is worse, is hearing phony Southern accents, like Kyra Sedgwick in
>> The Closer. I recently watched her show three times, it is good, but I
>> have to get over that accent to enjoy it.
>>
>> Becca

>i think a southern accent is hard to do unless you've grown up with it.

It's mostly from lack of formal education and living in trailer parks.
You'd be surprised at how many northern hillybillys mumble with a
southern drawl. I've spoken to some rfc'ers on the phone who lived
all their life in southern locales and they've none of that uneducated
twang whatsoever.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/25/2010 2:06 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> It's mostly from lack of formal education and living in trailer parks.
> You'd be surprised at how many northern hillybillys mumble with a
> southern drawl. I've spoken to some rfc'ers on the phone who lived
> all their life in southern locales and they've none of that uneducated
> twang whatsoever.

Here is Dr. Red Duke, he is a trauma surgeon and a professor at the
University of Texas Health Science Center in Houston. When you hear his
accent, it does not give you any confidence that he knows what he is
talking about. Accents influence the way people think about you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZnFGywO4_8

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 03 Jan 2011 17:11:51 -0800, Ranée at Arabian Knits
> wrote:

>In article . 14>,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

>> > Only a heathern puts sugar in cornbread. <G>
>> >

>> Or creamed corn or flour! That just *isn't* southern cornbread.

> I can agree with that. However, I don't prefer southern cornbread.
>*shrug* I've had it, in the south, made from someone's great
>grandmother's recipe in the skillet inherited from her mother and
>perfectly seasoned, never washed. It feels gritty and dry to me.
>
> A chacon son gout. I like mine half flour and half cornmeal. I like
>mine with honey in it. It was good enough that a teenage, male
>babysitter offered to babysit for a pan of it to himself. I meant to
>give him the recipe when he graduated from high school. I should do
>that.
>
>Regards,
>Ranee @ Arabian Knits

I'd like the recipe, please. I'd love to try it. I am always looking
for new cornbread recipes.

Alas, I, too, prefer the sweeter, more cake-like non-Southern version.
I have made it with a wide variety of add-ins - sugar, brown sugar,
honey, sour cream, cheese, jalapeno's, bacon, ham, corn kernels.
Mmmmmm, corn bread.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar > wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Jan 2011 17:11:51 -0800, Ranée at Arabian Knits
> > wrote:
>
>> In article . 14>,
>> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>>
>>> On Wed 22 Dec 2010 02:20:48p, George Shirley told us...

>>> Or creamed corn or flour! That just *isn't* southern cornbread.

>> I can agree with that. However, I don't prefer southern cornbread.
>> *shrug* I've had it, in the south, made from someone's great
>> grandmother's recipe in the skillet inherited from her mother and
>> perfectly seasoned, never washed. It feels gritty and dry to me.
>>
>> A chacon son gout. I like mine half flour and half cornmeal. I like
>> mine with honey in it. It was good enough that a teenage, male
>> babysitter offered to babysit for a pan of it to himself. I meant to
>> give him the recipe when he graduated from high school. I should do
>> that.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ranee @ Arabian Knits
>>

> I'd like the recipe, please. I'd love to try it. I am always looking
> for new cornbread recipes.
>
> Alas, I, too, prefer the sweeter, more cake-like non-Southern version.
> I have made it with a wide variety of add-ins - sugar, brown sugar,
> honey, sour cream, cheese, jalapeno's, bacon, ham, corn kernels.
> Mmmmmm, corn bread.
>
> Boron

I have always called sweetened corn bread - Northern Corn Bread.
I will also say, I never cared for southern dry crumbly biscuits as well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 03 Jan 2011 20:23:42 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

> I'd like the recipe, please. I'd love to try it. I am always looking
> for new cornbread recipes.
>
> Alas, I, too, prefer the sweeter, more cake-like non-Southern version.
> I have made it with a wide variety of add-ins - sugar, brown sugar,
> honey, sour cream, cheese, jalapeno's, bacon, ham, corn kernels.
> Mmmmmm, corn bread.

I definitely do not like all cornmeal cornbread. That's the way I
started off making it, but it's too dry for me. 1:1:1 is my speed -
1c cornmeal, 1c flour, 1c buttermilk or yogurt and 1/4c sugar.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Tony's Southern Comfort/ Cornbread secrets OmManiPadmeOmelet General Cooking 10 19-11-2005 01:02 AM
Southern Style Cornbread Dressing/Stuffing JANIC412 Recipes (moderated) 0 03-12-2004 05:54 PM
"The deal closer" R&M Wine 42 28-09-2004 05:59 AM
Southern Cornbread Stuffing JANIC412 Recipes (moderated) 0 03-12-2003 04:28 PM