Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Oil for Lazy Susan?

What's the best lube for the bearings in a lazy Susan? I have the
normal household "Super Oil" (circa 1975) that I'd use for the
chainsaw and bike chains. Normal grease for the garage door
channel. Or synthetic white grease for bike hubs and crank shafts
(ball bearing based). And of course I have thermal CPU grease.

It's 4lbs of solid wood over a 12" pedestal made from 3/4" MDF. I
can't see the actual bearings yet. It holds about 2-3 pounds on
top. As it is, it doesn't turn too well unless you put more weight
on it. I've heard regular lubricating oil breaks down and gets
gummy, but I'm thinking the white bike grease may be too tacky for
that little weight.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 16, 1:04*am, Sqwertz > wrote:
> What's the best lube for the bearings in a lazy Susan? *I have the
> normal household "Super Oil" (circa 1975) that I'd use for the
> chainsaw and bike chains. *Normal grease for the garage door
> channel. *Or synthetic white grease for bike hubs and crank shafts
> (ball bearing based). And of course I have thermal CPU grease.
>
> It's 4lbs of solid wood over a 12" pedestal made from 3/4" MDF. *I
> can't see the actual bearings yet. *It holds about 2-3 pounds on
> top. *As it is, it doesn't turn too well unless you put more weight
> on it. *I've heard regular lubricating oil breaks down and gets
> gummy, but I'm thinking the white bike grease may be too tacky for
> that little weight.
>
> -sw

I would still go for the white grease as it shouldn't get runny as the
"Super Oil."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 01:04:48 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>What's the best lube for the bearings in a lazy Susan? I have the
>normal household "Super Oil" (circa 1975) that I'd use for the
>chainsaw and bike chains. Normal grease for the garage door
>channel. Or synthetic white grease for bike hubs and crank shafts
>(ball bearing based). And of course I have thermal CPU grease.
>
>It's 4lbs of solid wood over a 12" pedestal made from 3/4" MDF. I
>can't see the actual bearings yet. It holds about 2-3 pounds on
>top. As it is, it doesn't turn too well unless you put more weight
>on it. I've heard regular lubricating oil breaks down and gets
>gummy, but I'm thinking the white bike grease may be too tacky for
>that little weight.

For low rpm grease is best... silicone grease from any hardware
store.. or food grade grease, as used on meat grinder thrust washers.
http://www.alliedkenco.com/catalog/p...oducts_id/2378
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 01:04:48 -0600, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>> What's the best lube for the bearings in a lazy Susan? I have the
>> normal household "Super Oil" (circa 1975) that I'd use for the
>> chainsaw and bike chains. Normal grease for the garage door
>> channel. Or synthetic white grease for bike hubs and crank shafts
>> (ball bearing based). And of course I have thermal CPU grease.
>>
>> It's 4lbs of solid wood over a 12" pedestal made from 3/4" MDF. I
>> can't see the actual bearings yet. It holds about 2-3 pounds on
>> top. As it is, it doesn't turn too well unless you put more weight
>> on it. I've heard regular lubricating oil breaks down and gets
>> gummy, but I'm thinking the white bike grease may be too tacky for
>> that little weight.

> For low rpm grease is best... silicone grease from any hardware
> store.. or food grade grease, as used on meat grinder thrust washers.
> http://www.alliedkenco.com/catalog/p...oducts_id/2378

I would use castor oil. It's kind of thick so it shouldn't run, and
it's a very good lubricant -- extreme pressure in fact.

Silicone grease (used on faucet washers) is not a bad choice either.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 09:22:16 -0500, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> meat grinder thrust washers.

Were talking about a Lazy Susan, Sheldon. Not your Blow Up Suzie.

Perv.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 09:22:41 -0600, zxcvbob wrote:

> Silicone grease (used on faucet washers) is not a bad choice either.

I think that's what my bike grease is. I'll go down an check it
out.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> What's the best lube for the bearings in a lazy Susan? I have the
> normal household "Super Oil" (circa 1975) that I'd use for the
> chainsaw and bike chains. Normal grease for the garage door
> channel. Or synthetic white grease for bike hubs and crank shafts
> (ball bearing based). And of course I have thermal CPU grease.

3 in 1

Dimitri

don't use WD-40 the WD stands for water displacement.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 10:19:40 -0800, Dimitri wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> What's the best lube for the bearings in a lazy Susan? I have the
>> normal household "Super Oil" (circa 1975) that I'd use for the
>> chainsaw and bike chains. Normal grease for the garage door
>> channel. Or synthetic white grease for bike hubs and crank shafts
>> (ball bearing based). And of course I have thermal CPU grease.

> 3 in 1

That's basically the chain oil I was referring to. Mine is "Super
Oil". From the makers of Gunk and Liquid Wrench: "Radiator
Specialty Company" out of Charlotte NY. The can is at least 30
years old.

> don't use WD-40 the WD stands for water displacement.

WD-40 is not all it's cracked up to be. That stuff gets really
gummy after a while.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> What's the best lube for the bearings in a lazy Susan?
> -sw

See if you can find some sewing machine oil. It's lightweight.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> Sqwertz > wrote:

>> What's the best lube for the bearings in a lazy Susan?

>See if you can find some sewing machine oil. It's lightweight.

I agree. Something like 3-in-1 Oil is waxier than Singer Sewing
Machine oil. I'd use the latter.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 01:04:48 -0600, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> What's the best lube for the bearings in a lazy Susan? I have the
>>> normal household "Super Oil" (circa 1975) that I'd use for the
>>> chainsaw and bike chains. Normal grease for the garage door
>>> channel. Or synthetic white grease for bike hubs and crank shafts
>>> (ball bearing based). And of course I have thermal CPU grease.
>>>
>>> It's 4lbs of solid wood over a 12" pedestal made from 3/4" MDF. I
>>> can't see the actual bearings yet. It holds about 2-3 pounds on
>>> top. As it is, it doesn't turn too well unless you put more weight
>>> on it. I've heard regular lubricating oil breaks down and gets
>>> gummy, but I'm thinking the white bike grease may be too tacky for
>>> that little weight.

>> For low rpm grease is best... silicone grease from any hardware
>> store.. or food grade grease, as used on meat grinder thrust washers.
>> http://www.alliedkenco.com/catalog/p...oducts_id/2378

>I would use castor oil. It's kind of thick so it shouldn't run, and
>it's a very good lubricant -- extreme pressure in fact.
>
>Silicone grease (used on faucet washers) is not a bad choice either.
>
>Bob

For a lazy susan Crisco would work fine, even Vaselene. This thread
reminded it it was time to go about lubing all outdoor locks; Hillman
powdered graphite.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr. Bill wrote:
>zxcvbob wrote:
>
>>I would use castor oil. It's kind of thick so it shouldn't run, and
>>it's a very good lubricant -- extreme pressure in fact.

WD-40 is not a lubricant, it's a protectorant, inhibits and loosens
rust. Never use WD-40 in locks, it'll gum up the works.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 16, 1:04*am, Sqwertz > wrote:
> What's the best lube for the bearings in a lazy Susan? *I have the
> normal household "Super Oil" (circa 1975) that I'd use for the
> chainsaw and bike chains. *Normal grease for the garage door
> channel. *Or synthetic white grease for bike hubs and crank shafts
> (ball bearing based). And of course I have thermal CPU grease.
>
> It's 4lbs of solid wood over a 12" pedestal made from 3/4" MDF. *I
> can't see the actual bearings yet. *It holds about 2-3 pounds on
> top. *As it is, it doesn't turn too well unless you put more weight
> on it. *I've heard regular lubricating oil breaks down and gets
> gummy, but I'm thinking the white bike grease may be too tacky for
> that little weight.
>
> -sw

Silicone?

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 16, 3:08*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> In article >,
> (Steve Pope) wrote:
>
> > Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> > >See if you can find some sewing machine oil. *It's lightweight.

> > I agree. Something like 3-in-1 Oil is waxier than Singer Sewing
> > Machine oil. *I'd use the latter.

> > Steve

> Singer Sewing Machine Oil is what's in my cabinet. *I use it *on my
> Swing-Away can opener occasionally.
>
> --
> Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
> "Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
> Pepparkakor particulars posted 11-29-2010;http://web.me.com/barbschaller

Isn't there a danger of contaminating food by using sewing machine oil
on a can opener? I use food grade silicone lube.
==

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> What's the best lube for the bearings in a lazy Susan? I have the
> normal household "Super Oil" (circa 1975) that I'd use for the
> chainsaw and bike chains. Normal grease for the garage door
> channel. Or synthetic white grease for bike hubs and crank shafts
> (ball bearing based). And of course I have thermal CPU grease.
>
> It's 4lbs of solid wood over a 12" pedestal made from 3/4" MDF. I
> can't see the actual bearings yet. It holds about 2-3 pounds on
> top. As it is, it doesn't turn too well unless you put more weight
> on it. I've heard regular lubricating oil breaks down and gets
> gummy, but I'm thinking the white bike grease may be too tacky for
> that little weight.
>
> -sw

White lithium grease is perfect for that. You can get it in a spray can
or a tube.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> What's the best lube for the bearings in a lazy Susan? I have the
> normal household "Super Oil" (circa 1975) that I'd use for the
> chainsaw and bike chains. Normal grease for the garage door
> channel. Or synthetic white grease for bike hubs and crank shafts
> (ball bearing based). And of course I have thermal CPU grease.
>
> It's 4lbs of solid wood over a 12" pedestal made from 3/4" MDF. I
> can't see the actual bearings yet. It holds about 2-3 pounds on
> top. As it is, it doesn't turn too well unless you put more weight
> on it. I've heard regular lubricating oil breaks down and gets
> gummy, but I'm thinking the white bike grease may be too tacky for
> that little weight.
>
> -sw

We use white lithium grease for anything that doesn't require graphite,
WD40 or 3-in-1 oil
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 10:19:40 -0800, Dimitri wrote:
>
>> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>>> What's the best lube for the bearings in a lazy Susan? I have the
>>> normal household "Super Oil" (circa 1975) that I'd use for the
>>> chainsaw and bike chains. Normal grease for the garage door
>>> channel. Or synthetic white grease for bike hubs and crank shafts
>>> (ball bearing based). And of course I have thermal CPU grease.

>> 3 in 1

> That's basically the chain oil I was referring to. Mine is "Super
> Oil". From the makers of Gunk and Liquid Wrench: "Radiator
> Specialty Company" out of Charlotte NY. The can is at least 30
> years old.

I just finished my can from 15 years ago.

:-)

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 16, 10:46*pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> "Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message

> > On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 16:08:59 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > > wrote:

> >>Singer Sewing Machine Oil is what's in my cabinet. *I use it *on my
> >>Swing-Away can opener occasionally.

> > You cook with machine oil... YUCK!

> Um... using a can opener doesn't constitute cooking. *What difference does
> it make what oil one uses on a can opener or a lazy susan?
>
> Jill

==
The parts that turn such as the cutting wheel do intrude into the can
and may touch the food contained therein in many cases. I lightly lube
such parts that touch food and/or where a lubricant could leak or
drip, with a vegetable oil or food grade silicone.
==

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 15:20:17 -0500, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> Mr. Bill wrote:
>>zxcvbob wrote:
>>
>>>I would use castor oil. It's kind of thick so it shouldn't run, and
>>>it's a very good lubricant -- extreme pressure in fact.

> WD-40 is not a lubricant, it's a protectorant, inhibits and loosens
> rust. Never use WD-40 in locks, it'll gum up the works.

He didn't say WD-40.

You're not on AOL anymore Kats.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 16:56:11 -0800, Dimitri wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote:
>
>> That's basically the chain oil I was referring to. Mine is "Super
>> Oil". From the makers of Gunk and Liquid Wrench: "Radiator
>> Specialty Company" out of Charlotte NY. The can is at least 30
>> years old.

> I just finished my can from 15 years ago.

Like a good balsamic, it's meant to be sipped slowly.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 19:22:30 +0000 (UTC), Steve Pope wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz > wrote:

>>> What's the best lube for the bearings in a lazy Susan?

>>See if you can find some sewing machine oil. It's lightweight.

> I agree. Something like 3-in-1 Oil is waxier than Singer Sewing
> Machine oil. I'd use the latter.

I didn't think of that. I have that, too.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 15:58:33 -0800 (PST), Roy wrote:

> Isn't there a danger of contaminating food by using sewing machine oil
> on a can opener? I use food grade silicone lube.

I'd worry more about a can opener that needs lubed in the first
place.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> What's the best lube for the bearings in a lazy Susan?
>> -sw

> See if you can find some sewing machine oil. It's lightweight.

....or gun oil which is very similar.
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 13:19:04 -0600, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >,
> Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> What's the best lube for the bearings in a lazy Susan?
>> -sw

> See if you can find some sewing machine oil. It's lightweight.

what about something for a squeaky cast aluminum pepper grinder (a perfex
knock-off)?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 13:36:52 -0500, blake murphy wrote:

> what about something for a squeaky cast aluminum pepper grinder (a perfex
> knock-off)?

Hey! Go hijack somebody else's thread!

:-)

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 13:36:52 -0500, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 13:19:04 -0600, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> Sqwertz > wrote:
>>
>>> What's the best lube for the bearings in a lazy Susan?
>>> -sw

>> See if you can find some sewing machine oil. It's lightweight.

>what about something for a squeaky cast aluminum pepper grinder (a perfex
>knock-off)?

Beeswax... has lot's of uses including lubing slow moving parts, and
is food safe. You can probably pay like $10 for a weeny beeswax
candle, or a small wad from a hobby shop, but the cheapest for a large
lump is to go to your local plumbing supply and pick up a beeswax
terlit seal... I know my shit:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_13906-1409-G..._s%3FNtt%3Dwax

http://www.amazon.com/Extra-Thick-To...613552&sr=8-26

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 13:19:04 -0600, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Sqwertz > wrote:
> >
> >> What's the best lube for the bearings in a lazy Susan?
> >> -sw

> > See if you can find some sewing machine oil. It's lightweight.

> what about something for a squeaky cast aluminum pepper grinder (a perfex
> knock-off)?
>
> your pal,
> blake

Same thing, IMO. A lightweight machine oil. A small bit and then wipe
with a paper towel after making a couple turns of the grinder.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
Pepparkakor particulars posted 11-29-2010;
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Roy > wrote:

> On Dec 16, 3:08*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
> wrote:
> > In article >,
> > (Steve Pope) wrote:

> > > I agree. Something like 3-in-1 Oil is waxier than Singer Sewing
> > > Machine oil. *I'd use the latter.

> > > Steve

> > Singer Sewing Machine Oil is what's in my cabinet. *I use it *on my
> > Swing-Away can opener occasionally.
> >
> > --
> > Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> > Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
> > "Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
> > Pepparkakor particulars posted 11-29-2010;http://web.me.com/barbschaller

> Isn't there a danger of contaminating food by using sewing machine oil
> on a can opener? I use food grade silicone lube.
> ==

Heck if I know. Can't say I care, either.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
Pepparkakor particulars posted 11-29-2010;
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 15:58:33 -0800 (PST), Roy wrote:
>
> > Isn't there a danger of contaminating food by using sewing machine oil
> > on a can opener? I use food grade silicone lube.

> I'd worry more about a can opener that needs lubed in the first
> place.
>
> -sw

I only do it after I've run it through the dishwasher. After I squeeze
a little oil in it and turn the crank a couple times, I run a couple
thicknesses of paper toweling through it it remove any excess oil. If
some remains, tough.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
Pepparkakor particulars posted 11-29-2010;
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> Mr. Bill wrote:
>>zxcvbob wrote:
>>
>>>I would use castor oil. It's kind of thick so it shouldn't run, and
>>>it's a very good lubricant -- extreme pressure in fact.

> WD-40 is not a lubricant, it's a protectorant, inhibits and loosens
> rust. Never use WD-40 in locks, it'll gum up the works.

It's a water displacement.

Didn't you ever wonder what the "WD" stands for?

I wonder what happened to the previous 39 WDs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"BigBadBubba" > wrote:

[WD-40]

> It's a water displacement.
>
> Didn't you ever wonder what the "WD" stands for?
>
> I wonder what happened to the previous 39 WDs.

They didn't work. It's rocket science:

http://www.snopes.com/business/names/wd40.asp

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Roy wrote:
> On Dec 16, 10:46 pm, > wrote:
>
>> "Brooklyn1"<Gravesend1> wrote in message

>>> On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 16:08:59 -0600, Melba's Jammin'

>>> You cook with machine oil... YUCK!
>>>

>> Um... using a can opener doesn't constitute cooking. What difference does
>> it make what oil one uses on a can opener or a lazy susan?
>>
>> Jill
>>

> ==
> The parts that turn such as the cutting wheel do intrude into the can
> and may touch the food contained therein in many cases. I lightly lube
> such parts that touch food and/or where a lubricant could leak or
> drip, with a vegetable oil or food grade silicone.
> ==

She old, single, and a drunk. She could care less.

OT Hello, Susan? Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 22 23-08-2014 04:51 AM
Lining a lazy Susan cupboard Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 160 04-05-2012 11:21 AM
PING SUSAN Storrmmee Diabetic 0 17-10-2010 08:39 PM
Susan! [email protected] Preserving 0 15-12-2008 03:21 AM
Susan's Vinaigrette RVC Recipes (moderated) 0 25-03-2005 02:28 PM