Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cheesecake bars flopped royally. Wha'?

The recipe called for cream cheese, sugar, egg - mix and spread over a
baked shortbread crumb base. Drizzled melted jam on top. It said to
bake til edges firm but center still 'jiggly'.

I let em sit in fridge overnight, but they still didn't set up. Oh
sure, edible - but only by fork. No way could anyone pick these up as
a finger treat. Even after they sat in the freezer for many hours -
still soft.

A similar recipe I used to use called for cornstarch. Could this be
the binder these pathetic bars needed? I got the recipe off a recipe
site - I re-read it - nothing was omitted.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/5/2010 6:03 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> The recipe called for cream cheese, sugar, egg - mix and spread over a
> baked shortbread crumb base. Drizzled melted jam on top. It said to
> bake til edges firm but center still 'jiggly'.
>
> I let em sit in fridge overnight, but they still didn't set up. Oh
> sure, edible - but only by fork. No way could anyone pick these up as
> a finger treat. Even after they sat in the freezer for many hours -
> still soft.
>
> A similar recipe I used to use called for cornstarch. Could this be
> the binder these pathetic bars needed? I got the recipe off a recipe
> site - I re-read it - nothing was omitted.

It seems like they need something like that, or maybe flour?

--
Currently reading: To Try Men's Souls by Newt Gingrich and William
Forstchen
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 5, 6:03*pm, Kalmia > wrote:
> The recipe called for cream cheese, sugar, egg - mix and spread over a
> baked shortbread crumb base. *Drizzled melted jam on top. *It said to
> bake til edges firm but center still 'jiggly'.
>
> I let em sit in fridge overnight, but they still didn't set up. *Oh
> sure, edible - but only by fork. *No way could anyone pick these up as
> a finger treat. *Even after they sat in the freezer for many hours -
> still soft.
>
> A similar recipe I used to use called for cornstarch. *Could this be
> the binder these pathetic bars needed? *I got the recipe off a recipe
> site - I re-read it - nothing was omitted.

Was the basic ratio 8 ounces cream cheese, 1/2 cup sugar, and one
egg? If so then they should have set up if they had been baked
properly.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 5 Dec 2010 15:03:59 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> wrote:

>The recipe called for cream cheese, sugar, egg - mix and spread over a
>baked shortbread crumb base. Drizzled melted jam on top. It said to
>bake til edges firm but center still 'jiggly'.
>
>I let em sit in fridge overnight, but they still didn't set up. Oh
>sure, edible - but only by fork. No way could anyone pick these up as
>a finger treat. Even after they sat in the freezer for many hours -
>still soft.
>
>A similar recipe I used to use called for cornstarch. Could this be
>the binder these pathetic bars needed? I got the recipe off a recipe
>site - I re-read it - nothing was omitted.

May we see the recipe please, that would help us figure out what might
have gone wrong.

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com
Updated 12/03/10

Natural Watkins Spices
www.apinchofspices.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 5 Dec 2010 15:03:59 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> wrote:

> The recipe called for cream cheese, sugar, egg - mix and spread over a
> baked shortbread crumb base. Drizzled melted jam on top. It said to
> bake til edges firm but center still 'jiggly'.
>
> I let em sit in fridge overnight, but they still didn't set up. Oh
> sure, edible - but only by fork. No way could anyone pick these up as
> a finger treat. Even after they sat in the freezer for many hours -
> still soft.
>
> A similar recipe I used to use called for cornstarch. Could this be
> the binder these pathetic bars needed? I got the recipe off a recipe
> site - I re-read it - nothing was omitted.

Compare it to another recipe that you know turns out the way you want.
Do you have enough eggs for the amount of cream cheese? Maybe all you
need to do is cook it a little longer next time.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 5 Dec 2010 15:03:59 -0800 (PST), Kalmia wrote:

> The recipe called for cream cheese, sugar, egg - mix and spread over a
> baked shortbread crumb base. Drizzled melted jam on top. It said to
> bake til edges firm but center still 'jiggly'.
>
> I let em sit in fridge overnight, but they still didn't set up.

Was it regular cream cheese, and not Lite or neufchatel?

I know my mother would always wonder why a recipe didn't work out
only to find out she used the wrong stuff. But when I'd look in
the trash, che could have "sworn" it was regular cream cheese (or
sour cream, etc..). It wasn't. It was light or fat free.

She was not very good at reading labels, and not because of
eyesight.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 5, 7:07*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Dec 2010 15:03:59 -0800 (PST), Kalmia wrote:
> > The recipe called for cream cheese, sugar, egg - mix and spread over a
> > baked shortbread crumb base. *Drizzled melted jam on top. *It said to
> > bake til edges firm but center still 'jiggly'.

> > I let em sit in fridge overnight, but they still didn't set up.

> Was it regular cream cheese, and not Lite or neufchatel? *
>
> I know my mother would always wonder why a recipe didn't work out
> only to find out she used the wrong stuff. *But when I'd look in
> the trash, che could have "sworn" it was regular cream cheese (or
> sour cream, etc..). *It wasn't. *It was light or fat free.

Oh, shoot - it was neufchatel!! I bet that was the culprit. I guess
they are NOT interchangeable.
I think I'll still go back to the old recipe - the one which called
for the cornstarch. I want to take these to an Xmas party - hence,
the dry run.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 5 Dec 2010 16:47:20 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> wrote:

> Oh, shoot - it was neufchatel!! I bet that was the culprit. I guess
> they are NOT interchangeable.

I've interchanged Neufchatel with regular and never had a problem, but
I've never tried it with lite cream cheese.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 5, 8:07*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Dec 2010 16:47:20 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
>
> > wrote:
> > Oh, shoot - it was neufchatel!! *I bet that was the culprit. *I guess
> > they are NOT interchangeable.

> I've interchanged Neufchatel with regular and never had a problem, but
> I've never tried it with lite cream cheese.

I just reread the recipe and it called for either the Neuf or reg.
cream cheese. Hmph!!

I'm going back to my old recipe and using graham cracker crust too
instead of the shortbread.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> I know my mother would always wonder why a recipe didn't work out
> only to find out she used the wrong stuff. But when I'd look in
> the trash, che could have "sworn" it was regular cream cheese (or
> sour cream, etc..). It wasn't. It was light or fat free.
>
> She was not very good at reading labels, and not because of
> eyesight.

When I was a kid, it was a standing joke in our house that my mother
didn't read the directions on packages. I didn't get it. It wasn't
until she was dead for decades that I finally got it. When she came to
the US, she didn't know any English!

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 5 Dec 2010 17:09:51 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> wrote:

>On Dec 5, 8:07*pm, sf > wrote:
>> On Sun, 5 Dec 2010 16:47:20 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
>>
>> > wrote:
>> > Oh, shoot - it was neufchatel!! *I bet that was the culprit. *I guess
>> > they are NOT interchangeable.

>> I've interchanged Neufchatel with regular and never had a problem, but
>> I've never tried it with lite cream cheese.

>I just reread the recipe and it called for either the Neuf or reg.
>cream cheese. Hmph!!
>
>I'm going back to my old recipe and using graham cracker crust too
>instead of the shortbread.

I'm sorry, I guess I missed where you posted the recipe you used,
could you please re-post it?

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com
Updated 12/03/10

Natural Watkins Spices
www.apinchofspices.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://mlvb.net/goort.net/what-can-i...secake-recipe/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 5, 6:03*pm, Kalmia > wrote:
> The recipe called for cream cheese, sugar, egg - mix and spread over a
> baked shortbread crumb base. *Drizzled melted jam on top. *It said to
> bake til edges firm but center still 'jiggly'.
>
> I let em sit in fridge overnight, but they still didn't set up. *Oh
> sure, edible - but only by fork. *No way could anyone pick these up as
> a finger treat. *Even after they sat in the freezer for many hours -
> still soft.
>
> A similar recipe I used to use called for cornstarch. *Could this be
> the binder these pathetic bars needed? *I got the recipe off a recipe
> site - I re-read it - nothing was omitted.

My guess is you were so concerned about the center being "jiggly" that
you ended up underbaking it. You don't want the center to be
completely firm but you do want it to be set. If it's still liquidy
it's not done.

I run into the same dilemma when I bake a pecan pie once a year for
Thanksgiving. At the end of the minimum baking time I give the pie a
gentle shake. If the whole thing shakes like gelatin then I know it's
done. If I see any sloshing or definite movement in the center then I
leave it in for 3 more minutes and check it again. If it doesn't
jiggle at all then it's overdone.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 6, 1:33*am, " > wrote:
> On Dec 5, 6:03*pm, Kalmia > wrote:
>
> > The recipe called for cream cheese, sugar, egg - mix and spread over a
> > baked shortbread crumb base. *Drizzled melted jam on top. *It said to
> > bake til edges firm but center still 'jiggly'.

> > I let em sit in fridge overnight, but they still didn't set up. *Oh
> > sure, edible - but only by fork. *No way could anyone pick these up as
> > a finger treat. *Even after they sat in the freezer for many hours -
> > still soft.

> > A similar recipe I used to use called for cornstarch. *Could this be
> > the binder these pathetic bars needed? *I got the recipe off a recipe
> > site - I re-read it - nothing was omitted.

> My guess is you were so concerned about the center being "jiggly" that
> you ended up underbaking it. *You don't want the center to be
> completely firm but you do want it to be set. *If it's still liquidy
> it's not done.
>
> I run into the same dilemma when I bake a pecan pie once a year for
> Thanksgiving. *At the end of the minimum baking time I give the pie a
> gentle shake. *If the whole thing shakes like gelatin then I know it's
> done. *If I see any sloshing or definite movement in the center then I
> leave it in for 3 more minutes and check it again. * If it doesn't
> jiggle at all then it's overdone.

You could be right. My oven tends to undercook, shall we say. If
instructions read "bake 18-20 minutes", I always need to let em go to
21 or 22 minutes. Even with the oven thermometer, they just seem to
need that extra time. Maybe 'jiggly' wasn't quite the right
terminology either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 5, 9:27*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:

> Neufchatel has 33% more water instead of 33% more fat. *That's a
> 66% difference over regular cream cheese. *It is not good for many
> recipes calling for cream cheese.

I will engrave this fact in stone (i.e. on a note inside cupboard
door) for future reference.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I know my mother would always wonder why a recipe didn't work out
> only to find out she used the wrong stuff. *But when I'd look in
> the trash, che could have "sworn" it was regular cream cheese (or
> sour cream, etc..). *It wasn't. *It was light or fat free.
>
> She was not very good at reading labels, and not because of
> eyesight.
>
> -sw

I substitute 1/3 less fat or fat-free for regular cream cheese all the
time, in baked goods AND cheesecake, and have never had a "fail."

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 6 Dec 2010 07:41:50 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> wrote:

> On Dec 5, 9:27*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
>
> > Neufchatel has 33% more water instead of 33% more fat. *That's a
> > 66% difference over regular cream cheese. *It is not good for many
> > recipes calling for cream cheese.

> I will engrave this fact in stone (i.e. on a note inside cupboard
> door) for future reference.

People who actually *know* how to cook can use them interchangeably.
People like squirts, to whom cooking is more theory than practice,
will screw it up every time.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 06 Dec 2010 08:47:59 -0800, sf wrote:

> On Mon, 6 Dec 2010 07:41:50 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> > wrote:
>
>> On Dec 5, 9:27*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
>>
>>> Neufchatel has 33% more water instead of 33% more fat. *That's a
>>> 66% difference over regular cream cheese. *It is not good for many
>>> recipes calling for cream cheese.

>> I will engrave this fact in stone (i.e. on a note inside cupboard
>> door) for future reference.
>>

> People who actually *know* how to cook can use them interchangeably.
> People like squirts, to whom cooking is more theory than practice,
> will screw it up every time.

I'll take that as a compliment coming from you. Hell, everybody
except Sheldon and Om know more about cooking than you do.

I have proven my skills many times. And if the facts above don't
jive with your prejudices, then maybe you should just keep it to
yourself, Mrs. Llorente. You're fast becoming the group's female
fool.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 6 Dec 2010 08:43:35 -0800 (PST), Nancy2 wrote:

>> I know my mother would always wonder why a recipe didn't work out
>> only to find out she used the wrong stuff. *But when I'd look in
>> the trash, che could have "sworn" it was regular cream cheese (or
>> sour cream, etc..). *It wasn't. *It was light or fat free.
>>
>> She was not very good at reading labels, and not because of
>> eyesight.
>>
>> -sw

> I substitute 1/3 less fat or fat-free for regular cream cheese all the
> time, in baked goods AND cheesecake, and have never had a "fail."

It all depends on the recipe and the rest of the ingredients,
wouldn't you agree? With the ingredients she described (and recipe
she never posted), I must insist that it makes a difference.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 6 Dec 2010 12:01:23 -0600, Richard Rambone >
wrote:

> I have proven my skills many times.

Only you think that, Pee Wee.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Dec 2010 07:41:50 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> > wrote:
>
>> On Dec 5, 9:27 pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
>>
>>> Neufchatel has 33% more water instead of 33% more fat. That's a
>>> 66% difference over regular cream cheese. It is not good for many
>>> recipes calling for cream cheese.

>> I will engrave this fact in stone (i.e. on a note inside cupboard
>> door) for future reference.
>>

> People who actually *know* how to cook can use them interchangeably.
> People like squirts, to whom cooking is more theory than practice,
> will screw it up every time.

that's a tad shrewish of you to day, sf.
Perhaps the recipe in question was such that any alteration was too much
of a change for it to set up properly? I dunno but it sounds like one
egg isn't enough but perhaps it works for full fat cream cheese but no
so well for a lower fat/higher water content cheese.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Dec 2010 08:43:35 -0800 (PST), Nancy2 wrote:
>
>>> I know my mother would always wonder why a recipe didn't work out
>>> only to find out she used the wrong stuff. But when I'd look in
>>> the trash, che could have "sworn" it was regular cream cheese (or
>>> sour cream, etc..). It wasn't. It was light or fat free.
>>>
>>> She was not very good at reading labels, and not because of
>>> eyesight.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> I substitute 1/3 less fat or fat-free for regular cream cheese all the
>> time, in baked goods AND cheesecake, and have never had a "fail."

> It all depends on the recipe and the rest of the ingredients,
> wouldn't you agree? With the ingredients she described (and recipe
> she never posted), I must insist that it makes a difference.
>
> -sw

I just posted something along those same lines. I think the recipe in
question is... in question! One egg only? Full fat vs. low fat cheese?
Too many variables for anyone to know for sure. Especially since we
haven't yet seen the recipe!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In news:rec.food.cooking, Kalmia > posted on Sun,
5 Dec 2010 15:03:59 -0800 (PST) the following:

> The recipe called for cream cheese, sugar, egg - mix and spread over a
> baked shortbread crumb base. Drizzled melted jam on top. It said to
> bake til edges firm but center still 'jiggly'.

Well, recipes can be flawed. I would have turned the oven off after
baking to just let them sit there in the oven for about eight hours to set
up instead of putting them in the fridge. That works fantastically for a
regular cheesecake to have it set up well and prevent cracking. I figure
your bars are probably not as thick as a cheesecake, so possibly just
turnin the oven off without opening the door might not be the perfect
move, but it does sound like yours were cooled to quickly to actually set
correctly, which amounts to letting it continue cooking with its own
contained heat while the external heat fades away.

Damaeus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In news:rec.food.cooking, " > posted on
Sun, 5 Dec 2010 22:33:58 -0800 (PST) the following:

> I run into the same dilemma when I bake a pecan pie once a year for
> Thanksgiving. At the end of the minimum baking time I give the pie a
> gentle shake. If the whole thing shakes like gelatin then I know it's
> done. If I see any sloshing or definite movement in the center then I
> leave it in for 3 more minutes and check it again. If it doesn't
> jiggle at all then it's overdone.

Pecan pie has to be the most concentrated source of sweetness on the
planet. I want to make one with less sugar, but I keep getting the
feeling that even leaving out some of the sugar might not even result in
the same texture. So much of it is nothing but Karo and sugar with eggs.

Damaeus

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 6, 2:12*pm, Goomba > wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:

> >> I substitute 1/3 less fat or fat-free for regular cream cheese all the
> >> time, in baked goods AND cheesecake, and have never had a "fail."

> > It all depends on the recipe and the rest of the ingredients,
> > wouldn't you agree? *With the ingredients she described (and recipe
> > she never posted), I must insist that it makes a difference.

> > -sw

> I just posted something along those same lines. I think the recipe in
> question is... in question! One egg only? Full fat vs. low fat cheese?
> Too many variables for anyone to know for sure. Especially since we
> haven't yet seen the recipe!

I'm going to post it on a separate thread, if I ever get a moment.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 06 Dec 2010 13:28:29 -0600, Damaeus
> wrote:

> Pecan pie has to be the most concentrated source of sweetness on the
> planet. I want to make one with less sugar, but I keep getting the
> feeling that even leaving out some of the sugar might not even result in
> the same texture. So much of it is nothing but Karo and sugar with eggs.

You need to pick another pie to alter. If you left out either Karo or
sugar, you'd lose volume not texture.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 6, 2:28*pm, Damaeus > wrote:
> In news:rec.food.cooking, " > posted on
> Sun, 5 Dec 2010 22:33:58 -0800 (PST) the following:
>
> > I run into the same dilemma when I bake a pecan pie once a year for
> > Thanksgiving. *At the end of the minimum baking time I give the pie a
> > gentle shake. *If the whole thing shakes like gelatin then I know it's
> > done. *If I see any sloshing or definite movement in the center then I
> > leave it in for 3 more minutes and check it again. * If it doesn't
> > jiggle at all then it's overdone.

> Pecan pie has to be the most concentrated source of sweetness on the
> planet. *I want to make one with less sugar, but I keep getting the
> feeling that even leaving out some of the sugar might not even result in
> the same texture. *So much of it is nothing but Karo and sugar with eggs.
>
> Damaeus

You could probably take out some of the sugar without it having too
much effect on the outcome. I have a cookbook with 18 recipes for
pecan pie and they all have different ratios of ingredients. One
recipe calls for 1/2 cup sugar and 1 cup corn syrup. Another calls
for 1 1/2 cups sugar and 1/3 cup corn syrup. Some call for light
syrup. Others call for dark. Even the amounts of butter in different
recipes can vary from just none to a whole stick.