Old 26-11-2010, 02:39 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pancake texture

On Nov 24, 9:30*pm, Chris Nelson wrote:
I grew up on my grandmother's buttermilk pancakes. *They are light,
moist, fairly thin, and soft. *Almost an extra-thick crepe. *No doubt
part of it is inertia and nostalgia but nothing else comes close. *If
grandma's pancakes are a 10, everything else I've had clustered with
Bisquick and IHOP around 2.5. ;-)

Unfortunately, most of my immediate family don't like the taste of the
buttermilk. *Since I can't stand the thick, doughy texture that
results from every other pancake recipe I've tried, we end up not
having pancakes very often. *I'm looking for some food science that
will let me reformulate Grandma's recipe without buttermilk.

Buttermilk clearly provides more than liquid to the recipe. *It's got
a thicker texture than regular milk which, no doubt, thickens the
batter. *But using regular milk and more flour gets me back to most
other pancake recipes.

Any thoughts?

Chris

Look for a recipe for sourdough pancakes - or 49ers I think they are
called. They are thin, and kind of springy. Not thick and cakelike.
Someone posted a recipe here not too long ago which I have used a few
times and they are really good. They require a bit of time though. You
prepare part of the batter the night before. I don't have the link at
the moment but i will see if i can find it.

-Tracy

Old 26-11-2010, 02:45 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 25, 9:39*pm, Tracy wrote:
[...]

Piggybacking on my own post. This is the recipe I have been using.

http://www.recipelink.com/mf/14/23556

If you want thin and not cakey pancakes this is what you want.