Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pancake texture

On Nov 24, 9:30*pm, Chris Nelson > wrote:
> I grew up on my grandmother's buttermilk pancakes. *They are light,
> moist, fairly thin, and soft. *Almost an extra-thick crepe. *No doubt
> part of it is inertia and nostalgia but nothing else comes close. *If
> grandma's pancakes are a 10, everything else I've had clustered with
> Bisquick and IHOP around 2.5. ;-)
>
> Unfortunately, most of my immediate family don't like the taste of the
> buttermilk. *Since I can't stand the thick, doughy texture that
> results from every other pancake recipe I've tried, we end up not
> having pancakes very often. *I'm looking for some food science that
> will let me reformulate Grandma's recipe without buttermilk.
>
> Buttermilk clearly provides more than liquid to the recipe. *It's got
> a thicker texture than regular milk which, no doubt, thickens the
> batter. *But using regular milk and more flour gets me back to most
> other pancake recipes.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Chris

Look for a recipe for sourdough pancakes - or 49ers I think they are
called. They are thin, and kind of springy. Not thick and cakelike.
Someone posted a recipe here not too long ago which I have used a few
times and they are really good. They require a bit of time though. You
prepare part of the batter the night before. I don't have the link at
the moment but i will see if i can find it.

-Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 25, 9:39*pm, Tracy > wrote:
> On Nov 24, 9:30*pm, Chris Nelson > wrote:
>

> > I grew up on my grandmother's buttermilk pancakes. *They are light,
> > moist, fairly thin, and soft. *Almost an extra-thick crepe. *No doubt
> > part of it is inertia and nostalgia but nothing else comes close. *If
> > grandma's pancakes are a 10, everything else I've had clustered with
> > Bisquick and IHOP around 2.5. ;-)

> > Unfortunately, most of my immediate family don't like the taste of the
> > buttermilk. *Since I can't stand the thick, doughy texture that
> > results from every other pancake recipe I've tried, we end up not
> > having pancakes very often. *I'm looking for some food science that
> > will let me reformulate Grandma's recipe without buttermilk.

> > Buttermilk clearly provides more than liquid to the recipe. *It's got
> > a thicker texture than regular milk which, no doubt, thickens the
> > batter. *But using regular milk and more flour gets me back to most
> > other pancake recipes.

> > Any thoughts?

> > Chris

> Look for a recipe for sourdough pancakes - or 49ers I think they are
> called. They are thin, and kind of springy. Not thick and cakelike.
> Someone posted a recipe here not too long ago which I have used a few
> times and they are really good. They require a bit of time though. You
> prepare part of the batter the night before. I don't have the link at
> the moment but i will see if i can find it.
>
> -Tracy

Piggybacking on my own post. This is the recipe I have been using.

http://www.recipelink.com/mf/14/23556

If you want thin and not cakey pancakes this is what you want.