Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pancake texture

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 18:30:57 -0800 (PST), Chris Nelson
> wrote:

> I grew up on my grandmother's buttermilk pancakes. They are light,
> moist, fairly thin, and soft. Almost an extra-thick crepe. No doubt
> part of it is inertia and nostalgia but nothing else comes close. If
> grandma's pancakes are a 10, everything else I've had clustered with
> Bisquick and IHOP around 2.5. ;-)
>
> Unfortunately, most of my immediate family don't like the taste of the
> buttermilk. Since I can't stand the thick, doughy texture that
> results from every other pancake recipe I've tried, we end up not
> having pancakes very often. I'm looking for some food science that
> will let me reformulate Grandma's recipe without buttermilk.
>
> Buttermilk clearly provides more than liquid to the recipe. It's got
> a thicker texture than regular milk which, no doubt, thickens the
> batter. But using regular milk and more flour gets me back to most
> other pancake recipes.
>
> Any thoughts?

I'm in your corner. I love buttermilk pancakes and think pancakes
made with regular milk are insipid at best, but I'd love to know how
to make the thick (and light) type I get in restaurants.

Sourdough pancakes were discussed in the chat channel earlier this
evening. Have you given that any consideration? They might satisfy
your need for tang and your family's need for "not buttermilk". What
about yeast raised pancakes?

sourdough - http://whatscookingamerica.net/Bread...ghPancakes.htm
yeast - http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Yeast-Pancakes

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 18:30:57 -0800 (PST), Chris Nelson
> > wrote:
>
>> I grew up on my grandmother's buttermilk pancakes. They are light,
>> moist, fairly thin, and soft. Almost an extra-thick crepe. No doubt
>> part of it is inertia and nostalgia but nothing else comes close. If
>> grandma's pancakes are a 10, everything else I've had clustered with
>> Bisquick and IHOP around 2.5. ;-)
>>
>> Unfortunately, most of my immediate family don't like the taste of the
>> buttermilk. Since I can't stand the thick, doughy texture that
>> results from every other pancake recipe I've tried, we end up not
>> having pancakes very often. I'm looking for some food science that
>> will let me reformulate Grandma's recipe without buttermilk.
>>
>> Buttermilk clearly provides more than liquid to the recipe. It's got
>> a thicker texture than regular milk which, no doubt, thickens the
>> batter. But using regular milk and more flour gets me back to most
>> other pancake recipes.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>>

> I'm in your corner. I love buttermilk pancakes and think pancakes
> made with regular milk are insipid at best, but I'd love to know how
> to make the thick (and light) type I get in restaurants.
>
> Sourdough pancakes were discussed in the chat channel earlier this
> evening. Have you given that any consideration? They might satisfy
> your need for tang and your family's need for "not buttermilk". What
> about yeast raised pancakes?
>
> sourdough - http://whatscookingamerica.net/Bread...ghPancakes.htm
> yeast - http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Yeast-Pancakes
>
> --
>
> Never trust a dog to watch your food.

I'll check the sites later, thanks

When John and I were doing an art show in Edina, MN we ate breakfast at some
place (the name escapes me) and he ordered a pancake with breakfast. I say
"a" pancake because that's what they brought him: a single pancake. It was
the size of a small dinner plate and was nearly paper-thin. It was
delicious! Served with ligonberry jam on the side. The OP should Google
Swedish pancakes if his family wants really thin, light pancakes

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 05:19:34 -0500, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

> It was
> the size of a small dinner plate and was nearly paper-thin. It was
> delicious! Served with ligonberry jam on the side. The OP should Google
> Swedish pancakes if his family wants really thin, light pancakes

I forgot completely about Swedish pancakes. I guess it's because I
think of them as dessert (that's when my Swedish grandmother served
them), not breakfast... and they were "dollar" sized, not plate sized.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 05:19:34 -0500, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
>> It was
>> the size of a small dinner plate and was nearly paper-thin. It was
>> delicious! Served with ligonberry jam on the side. The OP should Google
>> Swedish pancakes if his family wants really thin, light pancakes

> I forgot completely about Swedish pancakes. I guess it's because I
> think of them as dessert (that's when my Swedish grandmother served
> them), not breakfast... and they were "dollar" sized, not plate sized.

Mine run about 8 inches and are my best, favorite ones any time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 05:19:34 -0500, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
>> It was
>> the size of a small dinner plate and was nearly paper-thin. It was
>> delicious! Served with ligonberry jam on the side. The OP should Google
>> Swedish pancakes if his family wants really thin, light pancakes

> I forgot completely about Swedish pancakes. I guess it's because I
> think of them as dessert (that's when my Swedish grandmother served
> them), not breakfast... and they were "dollar" sized, not plate sized.
>
> --

Well, this was just that one restaurant. (I wish I could remember the name
of it!) I'd never seen Swedish pancakes before but I remember thinking it
was very big! But also very thin. It definitely wasn't your typical
breakfast pancake.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 18:30:57 -0800 (PST), Chris Nelson
> > wrote:
>
>> I grew up on my grandmother's buttermilk pancakes. They are light,
>> moist, fairly thin, and soft. Almost an extra-thick crepe. No doubt
>> part of it is inertia and nostalgia but nothing else comes close. If
>> grandma's pancakes are a 10, everything else I've had clustered with
>> Bisquick and IHOP around 2.5. ;-)
>>
>> Unfortunately, most of my immediate family don't like the taste of the
>> buttermilk. Since I can't stand the thick, doughy texture that
>> results from every other pancake recipe I've tried, we end up not
>> having pancakes very often. I'm looking for some food science that
>> will let me reformulate Grandma's recipe without buttermilk.
>>
>> Buttermilk clearly provides more than liquid to the recipe. It's got
>> a thicker texture than regular milk which, no doubt, thickens the
>> batter. But using regular milk and more flour gets me back to most
>> other pancake recipes.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>>

> I'm in your corner. I love buttermilk pancakes and think pancakes
> made with regular milk are insipid at best, but I'd love to know how
> to make the thick (and light) type I get in restaurants.

This is my recipe:

2 cups flour
3 medium eggs
2 cups (or so) fresh buttermilk
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons melted butter or oil (do not use canola, corn works best,
butter even better)
2 tablespoons yellow corn meal

Sift dry ingredients together. Beat eggs and combine with wet ingredients.
Wet into dry then mix gently. Do not over mix. You should have small clumps
of flour remaining. Let rest while griddle heats up. These are thick but
very fluffy pancakes with a rich flavor. They have been called the best
pancakes ever.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 18:30:57 -0800 (PST), Chris Nelson
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I grew up on my grandmother's buttermilk pancakes. They are light,
>>> moist, fairly thin, and soft. Almost an extra-thick crepe. No doubt
>>> part of it is inertia and nostalgia but nothing else comes close. If
>>> grandma's pancakes are a 10, everything else I've had clustered with
>>> Bisquick and IHOP around 2.5. ;-)
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, most of my immediate family don't like the taste of the
>>> buttermilk. Since I can't stand the thick, doughy texture that
>>> results from every other pancake recipe I've tried, we end up not
>>> having pancakes very often. I'm looking for some food science that
>>> will let me reformulate Grandma's recipe without buttermilk.
>>>
>>> Buttermilk clearly provides more than liquid to the recipe. It's got
>>> a thicker texture than regular milk which, no doubt, thickens the
>>> batter. But using regular milk and more flour gets me back to most
>>> other pancake recipes.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts?
>>>

>> I'm in your corner. I love buttermilk pancakes and think pancakes
>> made with regular milk are insipid at best, but I'd love to know how
>> to make the thick (and light) type I get in restaurants.
>>
>> Sourdough pancakes were discussed in the chat channel earlier this
>> evening. Have you given that any consideration? They might satisfy
>> your need for tang and your family's need for "not buttermilk". What
>> about yeast raised pancakes?
>>
>> sourdough - http://whatscookingamerica.net/Bread...ghPancakes.htm
>> yeast - http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Yeast-Pancakes
>>
>> --
>>
>> Never trust a dog to watch your food.

> I'll check the sites later, thanks
>
> When John and I were doing an art show in Edina, MN we ate breakfast
> at some place (the name escapes me) and he ordered a pancake with
> breakfast. I say "a" pancake because that's what they brought him: a
> single pancake. It was the size of a small dinner plate and was
> nearly paper-thin. It was delicious! Served with ligonberry jam on
> the side. The OP should Google Swedish pancakes if his family wants
> really thin, light pancakes
>
> Jill

You are an artist?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"L G" > wrote in message
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> When John and I were doing an art show in Edina, MN we ate breakfast at
>> some place (the name escapes me) and he ordered a pancake with breakfast.
>> I say "a" pancake because that's what they brought him: a single pancake.
>> It was the size of a small dinner plate and was nearly paper-thin. It
>> was delicious! Served with ligonberry jam on the side. The OP should
>> Google Swedish pancakes if his family wants really thin, light pancakes
>>

>> Jill

> You are an artist?

And here I thought (you thought) you knew everything about me. LOLOL

OB Food: I remembered the name of the place. Jensen's. In Burnsville,
Minnesota. Swedish pancake. And excellent omelets

Jill