Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pictures of RFCers' Kitchens!

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sun 21 Nov 2010 01:19:16p, sf told us...
>
>> On 21 Nov 2010 18:35:04 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> If given their food in similar size bowls from our FiestaWare,
>>> they look at it and walk away.

>> They'll eat from Fiesta Ware if they're hungry enough.
>>

> Not those two. They would eat their dry food and let the other cats
> eat the food in the FiestaWare.

Yup. Cats can be very stubborn--even to their own detriment.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sun 21 Nov 2010 09:18:56p, Jean B. told us...
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Sun 21 Nov 2010 08:56:01a, sf told us...

>>> That's not necessarily true. Because of their durability and
>>> ease of cleaning, years ago we bought several sets of Corelle
>>> fruit/dessert bowls to feed out cats their canned food. Two of
>>> our current cats will only eat their food from those bowls. If
>>> given their food in similar size bowls from our FiestaWare, they
>>> look at it and walk away.
>>>

>> I use those Corelle bowls too. Ming, esp., freaks out if it is in
>> something unfamiliar.
>>

> It's not surprising. They are very intelligent and sensitive.

Yes, they are. I love them.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sun 21 Nov 2010 09:19:48p, Jean B. told us...
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Sun 21 Nov 2010 01:19:16p, sf told us...

>>> Not those two. They would eat their dry food and let the other
>>> cats eat the food in the FiestaWare.
>>>

>> Yup. Cats can be very stubborn--even to their own detriment.
>>

> Indeed!

It's funny because I generally like their independent nature, but
when it comes to food when there is illness involved, this can
make things very difficult. Sigh.

Right now I have an issue. Ming's favorite food has been
discontinued. He still likes it the most--and it's about the only
one he will eat. It will run out....

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 23:39:34 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:

> Right now I have an issue. Ming's favorite food has been
> discontinued. He still likes it the most--and it's about the only
> one he will eat. It will run out....

Try mixing it with a new one you think he might like, just a little of
the other at first gradually decreasing the one that will run out and
more of the new one. He should be accustomed to the new one by the
time the old one is gone and if he's not, he has no choice anyway.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22 Nov 2010 04:23:32 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

> It's not surprising. They are very intelligent and sensitive.

My cat doesn't have a bowl hangup and eats what's put in front of him.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
. 190.71...
> On Sun 21 Nov 2010 09:52:18p, Stu told us...
>
>> On 22 Nov 2010 04:46:14 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>On Sun 21 Nov 2010 09:39:34p, Jean B. told us...

>>>Oh, that is difficuilt. Hopefully, you'll find another food to
>>>please him. One of cats will only eat dry food, even though we've
>>>offered him many varieties of canned food. He's very healthy, so
>>>I suppose I should worry, and the dry food we use is top quality.
>>>
>>>I may skimp on our food sometimes, but not on the cats'. :-)

>> As our's as well, they get the good stuff and show us their
>> appreciation daily.
>>

> I imagine that many people who are really devoted to their pets do
> the same. After all, we assumed complete responsibility for them the
> minute we brought them to our homes. I will never understand people
> who neglect or abuse their animals.
>
> They do, indeed, express their appreciation daily, as well as their
> unconditional love.

That's not love Wayne. It's tolerance. Cats merely tolerate us human beans
(obfood). You do know that they are secretively plotting to take over the
world, right? ;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paco" > wrote in message

> That's not love Wayne. It's tolerance. Cats merely tolerate us human
> beans (obfood). You do know that they are secretively plotting to take
> over the world, right? ;-)

lol I have heard that cats don't have owners.. they have staff

I have never got to know a cat. I am allergic to their dander. They seem
to like me well enough and always come to say hello if they see me

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paco" > wrote:
-snip-

>That's not love Wayne. It's tolerance. Cats merely tolerate us human beans
>(obfood). You do know that they are secretively plotting to take over the
>world, right? ;-)

If you haven't seen the 'dog Diary vs Cat diary', there is a copy
here;
http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/Humor..._cat_diary.htm

Jim
[I'm a pug guy now, after years of beagles-- but a cat graced us with
his presence for a decade or so]
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jim Elbrecht" > wrote in message
> "Paco" > wrote:
> -snip-
>>
>>That's not love Wayne. It's tolerance. Cats merely tolerate us human
>>beans
>>(obfood). You do know that they are secretively plotting to take over the
>>world, right? ;-)

> If you haven't seen the 'dog Diary vs Cat diary', there is a copy
> here;
> http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/Humor..._cat_diary.htm

lol wonderful!!
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:

>My cat doesn't have a bowl hangup and eats what's put in front of him.

Like your choice in bedroom partners.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote:

>I have never got to know a cat. I am allergic to their dander.
>
>They seem to like me well enough and always come to say hello if they see me

That's because you smell like anchovy! LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 22:56:26 +1000, atec77 > wrote:

> My Rotty claims they taste a bit like chicken but have a bad mouth
> feel until peeled

My Rottie and Cat were best friends.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 07:56:01 -0800, sf wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 10:45:28 -0500, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 18:45:18 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
>>

>>> Just because you don't like cats doesn't mean it's not something a "normal"
>>> human being would do. I've already got the china so I should probably use
>>> the bowls for my cat. Come to think of it, my mother's white
>>> platinum-rimmed china wedding came with matching candle sticks and
>>> individual ashtrays.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> i can assure you that the cats can't tell the difference.
>>

> and If they can, you won't hear a word about it from them.

cats are so polite.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21 Nov 2010 18:35:04 GMT, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Sun 21 Nov 2010 08:56:01a, sf told us...
>
>> On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 10:45:28 -0500, blake murphy
>> > wrote:

>>> i can assure you that the cats can't tell the difference.
>>>

>> and If they can, you won't hear a word about it from them.
>>

> That's not necessarily true. Because of their durability and ease of
> cleaning, years ago we bought several sets of Corelle fruit/dessert
> bowls to feed out cats their canned food. Two of our current cats
> will only eat their food from those bowls. If given their food in
> similar size bowls from our FiestaWare, they look at it and walk
> away.

everyone's a critic.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 16:47:36 -0500, Nancy Young wrote:

> sf wrote:
>> On 21 Nov 2010 21:27:23 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:

>>> Not those two. They would eat their dry food and let the other cats
>>> eat the food in the FiestaWare.

>> Heh, which only confirms that they never get hungry enough!

> Hey, maybe he could get into a test of wills with the cats until
> they eat the food out of the dishes they hate.
>
> nancy

keeping the cats from going to sleep until they finish their dinner might
actually work.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 23:39:34 -0500, Jean B. wrote:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Sun 21 Nov 2010 09:19:48p, Jean B. told us...
>>
>>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> Yup. Cats can be very stubborn--even to their own detriment.
>>>

>> Indeed!
>>

> It's funny because I generally like their independent nature, but
> when it comes to food when there is illness involved, this can
> make things very difficult. Sigh.
>
> Right now I have an issue. Ming's favorite food has been
> discontinued. He still likes it the most--and it's about the only
> one he will eat. It will run out....

i'm not a cat person, but what if you mixed the preferred food with a new
food in increasing proportions?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22 Nov 2010 05:04:29 GMT, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Sun 21 Nov 2010 09:52:18p, Stu told us...
>>
>> As our's as well, they get the good stuff and show us their
>> appreciation daily.
>>

> I imagine that many people who are really devoted to their pets do
> the same. After all, we assumed complete responsibility for them the
> minute we brought them to our homes. I will never understand people
> who neglect or abuse their animals.
>
> They do, indeed, express their appreciation daily, as well as their
> unconditional love.

how can you tell?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 07:08:57 -0500, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

> "Paco" > wrote:
> -snip-
>>
>>That's not love Wayne. It's tolerance. Cats merely tolerate us human beans
>>(obfood). You do know that they are secretively plotting to take over the
>>world, right? ;-)

> If you haven't seen the 'dog Diary vs Cat diary', there is a copy
> here;
> http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/Humor..._cat_diary.htm
>
> Jim
> [I'm a pug guy now, after years of beagles-- but a cat graced us with
> his presence for a decade or so]

i had beagles as a youth. most weren't too bright, but very amiable.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 07:08:57 -0500, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

> "Paco" > wrote:
> -snip-
>>
>>That's not love Wayne. It's tolerance. Cats merely tolerate us human beans
>>(obfood). You do know that they are secretively plotting to take over the
>>world, right? ;-)

> If you haven't seen the 'dog Diary vs Cat diary', there is a copy
> here;
> http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/Humor..._cat_diary.htm

the dog sounds like andy without the spells of rabid behavior.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 10:10:01 -0500, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> sf > wrote:
>>
>>My cat doesn't have a bowl hangup and eats what's put in front of him.

> Like your choice in bedroom partners.

who's in your bed, sheldon?

blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 12:47:13 -0500, blake murphy wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 15:51:02 -0800 (PST), itsjoannotjoann wrote:
>
>> My two bounce across the bed like it's a trampoline if they think it's
>> past time I should be up.

> if they lived with me they'd bounce right out the window along about the
> second time.

sez you.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 08:01:48 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 08:39:21 -0600, Terry >
>wrote:

>> The his-n-hers stoves were a necessity, because the wife and I
>> discovered long ago that we don't play well together in the kitchen.
>> (It'd be okay if she'd JUST DO IT MY WAY!! ;-)) The two stoves will
>> show their worth on Thursday, when I need to do dressing and turkey at
>> about the same time as younger daughter will make the apple pie and
>> elder daughter will make pumpkin cookies or pumpkin rolls.

>Darn, now I need another picture taken from the "back room" doorway so
>I can see your second stove. What a fun configuration!

Thanks, it was very thoroughly thought out (by the wife, she is good
at this) before we did it. Though we've got only one fridge and one
sink, each of us has his/her own kitchen triangle and neither one is
too large. Actually I usually use the wife's stove because when I do
dinner I usually do it by myself. The electric eyes heat faster than
my smoothtop and the vent dumps the air to the outside rather than
back into the kitchen.

And as I've said elsewhere, the rollaround is a godsend. Usually I
pull out everything from the fridge that I'll need for the meal/dish,
then roll the rollabout right up to my back. Almost no walking, just
turn around to chop, measure, etc., then turn back to the stove to
stir or whatever.
--
Best -- Terry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 15:43:11 -0600, Terry >
wrote:

> Actually I usually use the wife's stove because when I do
> dinner I usually do it by myself. The electric eyes heat faster than
> my smoothtop and the vent dumps the air to the outside rather than
> back into the kitchen.
>
> And as I've said elsewhere, the rollaround is a godsend. Usually I
> pull out everything from the fridge that I'll need for the meal/dish,
> then roll the rollabout right up to my back. Almost no walking, just
> turn around to chop, measure, etc., then turn back to the stove to
> stir or whatever.

Looks like a great kitchen to cook in... even when you have "guest"
cooks.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
.. .
> On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 10:10:01 -0500, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> sf > wrote:
>>>
>>>My cat doesn't have a bowl hangup and eats what's put in front of him.

>> Like your choice in bedroom partners.

> who's in your bed, sheldon?
>
> blake

Andy?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 11/22/2010 9:27 PM, bolivar wrote:
> "blake > wrote in message
> . ..
>> On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 15:51:02 -0800 (PST), itsjoannotjoann wrote:
>>
>>> Your cats stand at the bedroom door pleading with you to get up??? My
>>> two bounce across the bed like it's a trampoline if they think it's
>>> past time I should be up.

>> if they lived with me they'd bounce right out the window along about the
>> second time.
>>

> blake, blake, no physical violence, please.
>
> The Wok, blake. Use The Wok!
>
> your friend,
> Obie Wan

All I can do is ROFL!!!!!! Leave it to Boli But, I bet Boli's wok is
rather rusty

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sun 21 Nov 2010 09:39:34p, Jean B. told us...
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Sun 21 Nov 2010 09:19:48p, Jean B. told us...

>>> Indeed!
>>>

>> It's funny because I generally like their independent nature, but
>> when it comes to food when there is illness involved, this can
>> make things very difficult. Sigh.
>>
>> Right now I have an issue. Ming's favorite food has been
>> discontinued. He still likes it the most--and it's about the only
>> one he will eat. It will run out....
>>

> Oh, that is difficuilt. Hopefully, you'll find another food to please
> him. One of cats will only eat dry food, even though we've offered
> him many varieties of canned food. He's very healthy, so I suppose I
> should worry, and the dry food we use is top quality.
>
> I may skimp on our food sometimes, but not on the cats'. :-)

Right. Maybe that's my problem. I have ca 10 premium brands.
Maybe he'd like lower-quality food.

I also try every type of premium canned food--well, poultry-based.
He only likes chicken and sometime turkey.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sun 21 Nov 2010 09:52:18p, Stu told us...
>
>> On 22 Nov 2010 04:46:14 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> On Sun 21 Nov 2010 09:39:34p, Jean B. told us...

>>> Oh, that is difficuilt. Hopefully, you'll find another food to
>>> please him. One of cats will only eat dry food, even though we've
>>> offered him many varieties of canned food. He's very healthy, so
>>> I suppose I should worry, and the dry food we use is top quality.
>>>
>>> I may skimp on our food sometimes, but not on the cats'. :-)

>> As our's as well, they get the good stuff and show us their
>> appreciation daily.
>>

> I imagine that many people who are really devoted to their pets do
> the same. After all, we assumed complete responsibility for them the
> minute we brought them to our homes. I will never understand people
> who neglect or abuse their animals.
>
> They do, indeed, express their appreciation daily, as well as their
> unconditional love.

Yes. Absolutely! I get very irked at my daughter. Ming was her
cat, and her solace for many years. Now she has totally disowned
him. She hates him! I love him and say I owe him a good
life--and, when the time comes, as good a death as possible too.
(Not that I wouldn't give him that otherwise.)

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 23:39:34 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> Right now I have an issue. Ming's favorite food has been
>> discontinued. He still likes it the most--and it's about the only
>> one he will eat. It will run out....

> Try mixing it with a new one you think he might like, just a little of
> the other at first gradually decreasing the one that will run out and
> more of the new one. He should be accustomed to the new one by the
> time the old one is gone and if he's not, he has no choice anyway.

Oh, I try all the tricks. Yeah, he will have no choice. I found
one he kind-of likes, but then he begs for the other one. This
worries me more because I am going out of town a bit, and it's
important that he has food that I know he will eat.

Speaking o' that, I have another complaint. I have Drinkwell
fountains. Ming is very anxious and really scared of other
people, so when I go away for a few days, I leave him lots of food
and water--and lots of litter boxes. Anyway, I got a reservoir
for the Drinkwell fountain. It is damned lucky I had 2 backup
systems in place, because the first thing I heard when I walked in
the door was the sound the pump makes when the water is low. It
wasn't only low. It was empty, and the reservoir still had all of
its water in it. Thanks for bringing this back to mind. I need
to contact the Drinkwell people.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "Paco" > wrote in message
>
>> That's not love Wayne. It's tolerance. Cats merely tolerate us human
>> beans (obfood). You do know that they are secretively plotting to
>> take over the world, right? ;-)

> lol I have heard that cats don't have owners.. they have staff
>
> I have never got to know a cat. I am allergic to their dander. They
> seem to like me well enough and always come to say hello if they see me

You could get one of those bald ones. I think they are pretty
ugly though. I seem to recall that they are ultra-expensive too.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stu wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 21:47:55 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 23:39:34 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
>>
>>> Right now I have an issue. Ming's favorite food has been
>>> discontinued. He still likes it the most--and it's about the only
>>> one he will eat. It will run out....

>> Try mixing it with a new one you think he might like, just a little of
>> the other at first gradually decreasing the one that will run out and
>> more of the new one. He should be accustomed to the new one by the
>> time the old one is gone and if he's not, he has no choice anyway.

> Grill em' a steak

He doesn't like meat. He also doesn't eat any people food or
treats (not because he isn't welcome to them--he doesn't want them).

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 23:39:34 -0500, Jean B. wrote:
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Sun 21 Nov 2010 09:19:48p, Jean B. told us...

>>> Indeed!
>>>

>> It's funny because I generally like their independent nature, but
>> when it comes to food when there is illness involved, this can
>> make things very difficult. Sigh.
>>
>> Right now I have an issue. Ming's favorite food has been
>> discontinued. He still likes it the most--and it's about the only
>> one he will eat. It will run out....

> i'm not a cat person, but what if you mixed the preferred food with a new
> food in increasing proportions?
>
> your pal,
> blake

I may have to be sneakier--somehow. I have tried that but may try
it again....

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Paco" > wrote in message
>>
>>> That's not love Wayne. It's tolerance. Cats merely tolerate us human
>>> beans (obfood). You do know that they are secretively plotting to take
>>> over the world, right? ;-)

>> lol I have heard that cats don't have owners.. they have staff
>>
>> I have never got to know a cat. I am allergic to their dander. They
>> seem to like me well enough and always come to say hello if they see me
>>

> You could get one of those bald ones. I think they are pretty ugly
> though. I seem to recall that they are ultra-expensive too.

I manage with dogs
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "Jean B." > wrote in message

>>> lol I have heard that cats don't have owners.. they have staff
>>>
>>> I have never got to know a cat. I am allergic to their dander. They
>>> seem to like me well enough and always come to say hello if they see
>>> me
>>>

>> You could get one of those bald ones. I think they are pretty ugly
>> though. I seem to recall that they are ultra-expensive too.

> I manage with dogs

Good that you can have them!

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote:

>>> You could get one of those bald ones. I think they are pretty ugly
>>> though. I seem to recall that they are ultra-expensive too.

>> I manage with dogs

> Good that you can have them!

Oh yes! And very blessed I am)
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 22:14:56 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:

> when I go away for a few days, I leave him lots of food
> and water--and lots of litter boxes. Anyway, I got a reservoir
> for the Drinkwell fountain. It is damned lucky I had 2 backup
> systems in place, because the first thing I heard when I walked in
> the door was the sound the pump makes when the water is low. It
> wasn't only low. It was empty, and the reservoir still had all of
> its water in it. Thanks for bringing this back to mind. I need
> to contact the Drinkwell people.

That *is* concerning and one reason why I like to use things like that
between needs to see how things are going and to make sure my animals
are comfortable using whatever contraption it is.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 09:14:33 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 22:14:56 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> when I go away for a few days, I leave him lots of food
>> and water--and lots of litter boxes. Anyway, I got a reservoir
>> for the Drinkwell fountain. It is damned lucky I had 2 backup
>> systems in place, because the first thing I heard when I walked in
>> the door was the sound the pump makes when the water is low. It
>> wasn't only low. It was empty, and the reservoir still had all of
>> its water in it. Thanks for bringing this back to mind. I need
>> to contact the Drinkwell people.

>That *is* concerning and one reason why I like to use things like that
>between needs to see how things are going and to make sure my animals
>are comfortable using whatever contraption it is.

The few times a year I've been gone over night besides their regular
water bowls I place large dishpans of water in the kitchen sink and
bathtub.... I make sure their three over size litter pans are clean
and topped up with extra litter... and there is plenty of dried food.
I tried the drinkwell fountain, too much trouble keeping it clean....
it just keeps recirculating the same old water throught the silly
charcoal filter, that filter quickly becomes laden with bacteria...
and at best all charcoal does is deodorize... it's no better than an
aquarium filter but without the fish and plants... the livestock is
what keeps the bacteria controled. My cat's regular water bowls are
next to their dried food, they are forever dropping bits in the water
and I'm forever changing their water.... but placing those dishpans of
water away from their food keeps them fairly clean for 24 hours.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
nfw nfw is offline

On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 22:32:11 -0500, "BigBadBubba"
> wrote:

>"blake murphy" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> Like your choice in bedroom partners.

>> who's in your bed, sheldon?
>>
>> blake

>Andy?

eeeeewwwwww
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"nfw" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 22:32:11 -0500, "BigBadBubba"
> > wrote:

>>> who's in your bed, sheldon?
>>>
>>> blake

>>Andy?
>>

> eeeeewwwwww

I know. Brain lavage will not be enough. We need Rotorooter now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 22:14:56 -0500, "Jean > wrote:
>
>> when I go away for a few days, I leave him lots of food
>> and water--and lots of litter boxes. Anyway, I got a reservoir
>> for the Drinkwell fountain. It is damned lucky I had 2 backup
>> systems in place, because the first thing I heard when I walked in
>> the door was the sound the pump makes when the water is low. It
>> wasn't only low. It was empty, and the reservoir still had all of
>> its water in it. Thanks for bringing this back to mind. I need
>> to contact the Drinkwell people.

> That *is* concerning and one reason why I like to use things like that
> between needs to see how things are going and to make sure my animals
> are comfortable using whatever contraption it is.

That was my intention, but things got hectic. I am glad I believe
in multiple backups. That included leaving water trickling into a
large pot in the sink....

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 09:14:33 -0800, > wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 22:14:56 -0500, "Jean > wrote:
>>
>>> when I go away for a few days, I leave him lots of food
>>> and water--and lots of litter boxes. Anyway, I got a reservoir
>>> for the Drinkwell fountain. It is damned lucky I had 2 backup
>>> systems in place, because the first thing I heard when I walked in
>>> the door was the sound the pump makes when the water is low. It
>>> wasn't only low. It was empty, and the reservoir still had all of
>>> its water in it. Thanks for bringing this back to mind. I need
>>> to contact the Drinkwell people.

>> That *is* concerning and one reason why I like to use things like that
>> between needs to see how things are going and to make sure my animals
>> are comfortable using whatever contraption it is.

> The few times a year I've been gone over night besides their regular
> water bowls I place large dishpans of water in the kitchen sink and
> bathtub.... I make sure their three over size litter pans are clean
> and topped up with extra litter... and there is plenty of dried food.
> I tried the drinkwell fountain, too much trouble keeping it clean....
> it just keeps recirculating the same old water throught the silly
> charcoal filter, that filter quickly becomes laden with bacteria...
> and at best all charcoal does is deodorize... it's no better than an
> aquarium filter but without the fish and plants... the livestock is
> what keeps the bacteria controled. My cat's regular water bowls are
> next to their dried food, they are forever dropping bits in the water
> and I'm forever changing their water.... but placing those dishpans of
> water away from their food keeps them fairly clean for 24 hours.

I got the fountain to encourage Ming to drink more, after he had
crystals. That is in addition to his usual bowl in the kitchen
and the cup in my bedroom, which he frequently avails himself of.

--
Jean B.