Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Wanted: A French Toast Recipe Please.

I've tried and tried to make great tasting French Toast. I've used my
Mom's tried and true recipe for over 30 years. Just a basic no frills
approach of egg dipping a slice of white bread and then frying it. There
simply must be another way of bringing new life to an old favorite. I
would be very grateful for any cooking tips you'd care to offer me.

Many thanks,

gene

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Sun 29 Aug 2010 07:04:33p, e-mail from gene told us...
>
> > I've tried and tried to make great tasting French Toast. I've used
> > my Mom's tried and true recipe for over 30 years. Just a basic no
> > frills approach of egg dipping a slice of white bread and then
> > frying it. There simply must be another way of bringing new life
> > to an old favorite. I would be very grateful for any cooking tips
> > you'd care to offer me.
> >
> > Many thanks,
> >
> > gene

> There are any number of dipping mixtures that people use, as well
> as types of breads. This is what I've made for many years...
>
> 4 eggs
> 1 cup whole milk (or 1/2 milk and 1/2 half & half cream)
> 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
> 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
> 1/8 teaspoon salt
> 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
> unsalted butter
>
> Whisk eggs in a medium mixing bowl until smooth. Add remaining
> ingredients and whisk until well blended.
>
> Pour mixture into shallow flat baking dish. Over medium heat, melt
> sufficient butter to coat entire surface of large frying pan.
>
> Use a firm-textured bread (I prefer challah). Add bread slices and
> allow to soak on one side for 30 seconds. Turn over gently with
> spatula or a couple of forks and allow to soak for another 30
> seconds. Using a spatula, gently lift each slice into skillet, and
> fry until nicely browned. Turn and fry until second side is nice
> browned. Turn slices onto plates and sprinkle with confectioner's
> sugar, or serve with butter and syrup.
>
> Variation: Omit cinnamon and add 1 teaspoon grated orange rind.

You can use ginger instead of cinnamon; but probably a smaller
quantity unless you REALLY love ginger.

--
Dan Goodman
"I have always depended on the kindness of stranglers."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 08/29/2010 07:04 PM, e-mail from gene wrote:
> I've tried and tried to make great tasting French Toast. I've used my
> Mom's tried and true recipe for over 30 years. Just a basic no frills
> approach of egg dipping a slice of white bread and then frying it. There
> simply must be another way of bringing new life to an old favorite. I
> would be very grateful for any cooking tips you'd care to offer me.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> gene

This was the subject of a thread here in r.f.c. some time ago. I've
copied the recipe here and added a summary of some of the comments. One
of the more interesting comments (not included here -- odd) was that the
flour in the batter probably adds some crispiness to the final crust.

I've made this recipe and it is the *best* French Toast I've ever had,
by a long shot. I made it with French bread cut on a diagonal instead of
Texas Toast and added maybe a tablespoon of brandy to the batter. After
it was cooked I put butter and a couple of slices of ripe banana on the
top of each, then covered it with plain old Log Cabin syrup. I thought
I'd died and gone to heaven. It also took about a week for my BG to come
back down. Some day I'd like to try it with brioche for the bread.

----------------- Snip Here ------------------

Denny's-Style French Toast

Ingredients:
4 eggs
2/3 cup whole milk; skim milk is OK also
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. cinnamon

6 slices Texas toast thick bread
3 Tbsp. butter
powdered sugar
butter
maple syrup

Directions:
Mix together the eggs, milk, flour, sugar, vanilla, salt and cinnamon.

Heat a large skillet, or griddle. When the skillet is hot, add 1
Tablespoon butter. If the butter smokes, your pan is too hot -- turn
down the heat.

Dip each slice of bread into the batter for 30 seconds on each side. Let
some of the batter drip off, then put in skillet. Cook each slice 1 1/2
to 2 minutes per side until each side is golden brown.

Add more butter, if necessary, to cook all of the slices.

To serve, put on plate, dust with powdered sugar. Serve with butter and
hot syrup.

Serves 6 to 8.

Notes from the readers:
Mix the cinnamon into the vanilla before adding to the egg mixture -- it
won't float on top.

Whir everything up to the bread, liquids first, in a blender. The batter
may be sticky or lumpy otherwise.

As long as you have the blender out, toss some fruit such as banana,
peach or strawberry into it. No, I don't know how much.

Halve the recipe for seven slices of regular bread.

Use raisin bread sometime.

Add some brandy.

Use dense, chewy French or sourdough bread (the long kind, not the round
kind) cut on a diagonal 1" thick and soak in the batter 45 to 60 seconds
per side. Cook 2 1/2 to 3 minutes per side. Regular bread is pretty
bland compared to this.

Top with cream cheese and/or bananas.

Make the batter the evening before and let it "cure" in the refrigerator
overnight.

Top with peanut butter and honey.

Stuffed French toast: While the French toast was cooking, we mixed
together 1/2 package of reduced fat cream cheese (Neufchatel), 2
Tablespoons butter, 1/2 cup powered sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla.
When the French toast was done and still warm, we spread a slice with
about 1 Tablespoon cream cheese mixture, and topped it with another
slice of French toast. We cut it on the diagonal, and each one of us had
a half of this "sandwich" topped with maple syrup.

Freeze the extras for later.

Use more cinnamon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Sun 29 Aug 2010 10:46:08p, Dan Goodman told us...
>
> > You can use ginger instead of cinnamon; but probably a smaller
> > quantity unless you REALLY love ginger.
> >

> I imagine that ginger would be good. Are you thinking fresh grated?

No; Penzeys, already processed.

--
Dan Goodman
"I have always depended on the kindness of stranglers."
Tennessee Williams, A Streetcar Named Expire
Journal dsgood.dreamwidth.org (livejournal.com, insanejournal.com)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

A friend of mine used a little almond extract instead of the
vanilla...nice rich taste.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Whirled wrote on Sun, 29 Aug 2010 23:07:36 -0700:

> On 08/29/2010 07:04 PM, e-mail from gene wrote:
>> I've tried and tried to make great tasting French Toast. I've

> This was the subject of a thread here in r.f.c. some time ago.
> I've copied the recipe here and added a summary of some of the
> comments. One of the more interesting comments (not included
> here -- odd) was that the flour in the batter probably adds
> some crispiness to the final crust.

> I've made this recipe and it is the *best* French Toast I've
> ever had, by a long shot. I made it with French bread cut on a
> diagonal instead of Texas Toast and added maybe a tablespoon
> of brandy to the batter. After it was cooked I put butter and a couple
> of slices of ripe banana on the top of each, then
> covered it with plain old Log Cabin syrup. I thought I'd died and gone
> to heaven. It also took about a week for my BG to
> come back down. Some day I'd like to try it with brioche for
> the bread.

Sorry, here I go again.

Add a little milk to Egg-beaters and salt and pepper to taste. Soak Arab
bread in it for 5-10 minutes, fry until light brown and serve with
ketchup (and take cover from outraged maple syrup purists!)

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

---Authentic French Toast---

Decrust a whole loaf of bread (eggy brioche is best),
and slice into 2" X 2" cubes.
Soak in egg, milk, vanilla, and sugar mixture until fully soaked
through.
Drain each piece with slotted spoon, and DEEP FRY until dark golden
brown.
Serve topped with berry sauce, and powdered sugar.
Properly done, it should be crusty, becoming slightly creamy towards
the center.

Sheldon
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Aug 29, 7:04*pm, (e-mail from gene)
wrote:
> I've tried and tried to make great tasting French Toast. I've used my
> Mom's tried and true recipe for over 30 years. Just a basic no frills
> approach of egg dipping a slice of white bread and then frying it. There
> simply must be another way of bringing new life to an old favorite. I
> would be very grateful for any cooking tips you'd care to offer me.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> gene

This is the pain perdu recipe we used at the restaurant both for
Sunday Brunch "fancy" and our everyday breakfast menu. It's yummy.
This recipe is scaled up for more people but you can cut it down to
whatever size fits your needs.

french bread (at least day old)
8 large eggs
4 cup whipping cream
1 cup sugar
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
4 tsps real vanilla extract

1 1/2 cup champagne
2 cup cane syrup
2 cup raspberries
2 cup blueberries
4 tbsps cream cheese --
(optional)
powdered sugar for garnish

Cut bread into 3/4 inch thick diagonal slices.
Whisk together eggs and next 5 ingredients.
Place bread slices in deep pan and pour egg mix evenly over slices.
Let stand 30 minutes till liquid is absorbed.
Cook bread slices in non stick skillet or griddle till firm and golden
and done through.

Cook champagne in large saucepan over high heat till reduced by half.
Gradually stir in syrup and cook till blended and warm.

Arrange bread slices on plate, top with raspberries and blueberries
and cream cheese (if desired) . Drizzle evenly with syrup mixture and
garnish with powdered sugar.

Another option, cut a pocket in the side of the slice of cooked toast
and stuff with cream cheese, put back on griddle for a minute to warm
through and then top and serve.

{We used this egg batter recipe at Hizzoner's for our 'everyday'
French toast with egg bread (Texas toast). You can use that or
sourdough or whatever bread you like for French toast.}

http://www.hizzoners.com/index.php?o...unch&Itemid=70
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sun 29 Aug 2010 07:04:33p, e-mail from gene told us...
>
>> I've tried and tried to make great tasting French Toast. I've used
>> my Mom's tried and true recipe for over 30 years. Just a basic no
>> frills approach of egg dipping a slice of white bread and then
>> frying it. There simply must be another way of bringing new life
>> to an old favorite. I would be very grateful for any cooking tips
>> you'd care to offer me.
>>
>> Many thanks,
>>
>> gene

> There are any number of dipping mixtures that people use, as well as
> types of breads. This is what I've made for many years...
>
> 4 eggs
> 1 cup whole milk (or 1/2 milk and 1/2 half & half cream)
> 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
> 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
> 1/8 teaspoon salt
> 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
> unsalted butter
>
> Whisk eggs in a medium mixing bowl until smooth. Add remaining
> ingredients and whisk until well blended.
>
> Pour mixture into shallow flat baking dish. Over medium heat, melt
> sufficient butter to coat entire surface of large frying pan.
>
> Use a firm-textured bread (I prefer challah). Add bread slices and
> allow to soak on one side for 30 seconds. Turn over gently with
> spatula or a couple of forks and allow to soak for another 30
> seconds. Using a spatula, gently lift each slice into skillet, and
> fry until nicely browned. Turn and fry until second side is nice
> browned. Turn slices onto plates and sprinkle with confectioner's
> sugar, or serve with butter and syrup.
>
> Variation: Omit cinnamon and add 1 teaspoon grated orange rind.

It can also be served with any kind of fruit sauce, puree, or jam.
You can also serve with whipped cream, sour cream, or melt mild cheese
on top.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

My French friends commonly use

"A votre sante" or

"Chin-chin"

HTH.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message

> Sorry, here I go again.
>
> Add a little milk to Egg-beaters and salt and pepper to taste. Soak Arab
> bread in it for 5-10 minutes, fry until light brown and serve with ketchup
> (and take cover from outraged maple syrup purists!)

Sorry, here I go: "Outrage! Outrage!"

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"spamtrap1888" > wrote in message

> My French friends commonly use
>
> "A votre sante" or
>
> "Chin-chin"
>
> HTH.

Cute, very cute!

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gloria.p" > wrote in message

> It can also be served with any kind of fruit sauce, puree, or jam.
> You can also serve with whipped cream, sour cream, or melt mild cheese on
> top.

Or, even a simple version of a Monte Christo sandwich with turkey, ham,
cheese and jam.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I've had good luck using sourdough (or other French) bread,
and a simple egg/buttermilk/vanilla extract/ground cinnamon mixture.
You can however use milk instead of buttermilk.

It is best to sprinkle additional cinnamon on as it is grilling,
and that the cinnamon be freshly ground.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

e-mail from gene > wrote:

> would be very grateful for any cooking tips you'd care to offer me.

Here is a nice Spanish version from _A Book of Mediterranean Food_ by
Elizabeth David.

Victor

Torrijas

The Spanish version of a sweet well known in most European countries,
and designed for using up stale bread. In France it is called 'pain
perdu'.
First prepare a syrup of 1/4 lb of sugar, a coffeecupful of water, a
small piece of lemon peel, a pinch of cinnamon, all cooked together for
10 minutes or so. When the syrup has cooled add a small glass of sweet
white wine or sherry.
Cut 8 to 10 slices of white bread, about 1/4 inch thick. Soak them in
milk (about 1/2 pint), then in beaten egg (1 large egg should be
sufficient).
Fry the slices until crisp and golden in very hot olive oil. Pour the
cooled syrup over them and serve.
Instead of sugar honey can be used to make the syrup.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >,

> > > . . .
> > > That sounds about right to me; though the vanilla extract
> > > should be Watkins brand (double strength) vanilla extract.
> > > Haven't had it in years; but, that's how my Mom made it. She
> > > never toasted the bread; but, that would simulate the stale
> > > bread she used. We only had it when it was necessary to use up
> > > the last of a loaf.

> > French toast was always a special treat. :-) The Vanilla extract
> > mom used was home made. A half-dozen vanilla beans soaked for a
> > few months in 750 mls. of Everclear...

> What is Everclear? (Yes, I can and will look it up.) Every time I
> see mention of this, I am thinking of prepping for a colonoscopy!

From Google:
Everclear (alcohol) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Everclear is a brand of neutral grain spirit that is available at
concentrations of 75.5% alcohol (151 proof) and 95% alcohol (190
proof), in contrast to ...
Availability - Uses - In popular culture - See also
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everclear_(alcohol) - Cached - Similar

It's also the name of a rock band. Goodman's _th Law: Whatever you
look up, there is a rock band or a computer program with that name;
sometimes both.

--
Dan Goodman
"I have always depended on the kindness of stranglers."
Tennessee Williams, A Streetcar Named Expire
Journal dsgood.dreamwidth.org (livejournal.com, insanejournal.com)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Everclear; was Wanted: A French Toast Recipe Please.

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 20:44:03 -0500, Sky >
wrote:

> It's about 180-proof alcohol, often injected into watermelons & such.
> Think of 'frat' parties and/or something like that

Never did that. Never was in the same room (or block) as a jello shot
either... damn. Did I miss something?

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 21:18:33 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:

> The best French toast I have ever eaten--or cooked--was made from
> slabs of homemade cinnamon bread. I had that at an inn decades
> ago. After that I used to make cinnamon bread just for that
> purpose. Depending on where you are, you may be able to get
> great-quality cinnamon bread without making it. It should be
> unsliced, because you want the slices to be very thick--probably
> 3/4 to 1 inch thick.

That always sounds good to me. Haven't tried it yet though.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 30, 7:38*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 20:44:03 -0500, Sky wrote:
> > It's about 180-proof alcohol, often injected into watermelons & such.
> > Think of 'frat' parties and/or something like that

> Proof varies by state, usually it will be the maximum allowed by state
> law, usually about 160 or 190 proof.
>
> If it's pure alcohol and water, isn't this just as good as a premium
> quadruple-distilled vodka?

Reminds me in college the chem majors would have lab alcohol parties.
Once you unscrewed the lid of the container, the alcohol would go down
from 100% alcohol to 96%, as it combined with moisture from the air.
Thus is was 192 proof.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:

> The best French toast I have ever eaten--or cooked--was made from slabs of
> homemade cinnamon bread. I had that at an inn decades ago. After that I
> used to make cinnamon bread just for that purpose. Depending on where you
> are, you may be able to get great-quality cinnamon bread without making
> it. It should be unsliced, because you want the slices to be very
> thick--probably 3/4 to 1 inch thick.

Brioche has already been mentioned in this thread; I think that's the best
bread for French toast. Challah, being a close relative of brioche, is also
fantastic.

I like to vary what flavorings I use for the custard, though I note that
Cook's Illustrated goes with just a little nutmeg, and they found that
vanilla extract tended to overshadow any other flavors. One or two at a
time, I've used allspice, mace, nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon/cassia, orange
extract, almond extract (especially if serving with peaches, plums, or
apricots), black pepper, lemon extract (especially if serving with
blueberries or poppyseeds), or creme de cacao. Whatever you *do* use it's
important not to use very much of it, because the custard and bread are very
mild flavors, and their flavors should still be evident in the final dish.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
>> In article >,

>> (snip)
>> > >
>> > I can't find the recipe I posted, must have been 1999 or so, but I soak
>> > it
>> > overnight with egg and orange juice. Talk about "custardy"
>> >
>> > Jill

>> Do you bake it or put it on a griddle? I do a griddle.

> I use a cast iron skillet just like mom taught me! :-)
>
> Why a griddle?
> --
> Peace! Om

My grandmother's cast iron griddle on the stove top.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 30, 5:13*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In article >,
> *Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>

> > In article >,
> > *"jmcquown" > wrote:

> > (snip)

> > > I can't find the recipe I posted, must have been 1999 or so, but I soak it
> > > overnight with egg and orange juice. *Talk about "custardy"

> > > Jill

> > Do you bake it or put it on a griddle? *I do a griddle.

> I use a cast iron skillet just like mom taught me! :-)
>
> Why a griddle?

Perhaps the griddle is rectangular.

I use a rectangular electric skillet. I can fit six slices
in at once, which is exactly the right amount for us.

Since the question was "bake or griddle", I think any
stovetop hardware could be considered a griddle in
answering.

Cindy Hamilton
Member

Texas toast has to be the way to go! I have never toasted first but might give that a try next weekend.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 29, 9:04*pm, (e-mail from gene)
wrote:
> I've tried and tried to make great tasting French Toast. I've used my
> Mom's tried and true recipe for over 30 years. Just a basic no frills
> approach of egg dipping a slice of white bread and then frying it. There
> simply must be another way of bringing new life to an old favorite. I
> would be very grateful for any cooking tips you'd care to offer me.

Use egg yolks, half&half or cream, vanilla extract, and a dense
wheatberry bread. Cook it slowly in a pan with lightly salted butter,
until just browned on both sides. Lots more melted butter, and syrup
made from 2/3 Karo Light (or the equivalent) and 1/3 pure maple
syrups.

A tall glass of whole milk.

> Many thanks,
>
> gene

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:
> On 8/30/2010 8:22 PM, Jean B. wrote:
>> Omelet wrote:

>>> French toast was always a special treat. :-) The Vanilla extract mom
>>> used was home made. A half-dozen vanilla beans soaked for a few months
>>> in 750 mls. of Everclear...

>> What is Everclear? (Yes, I can and will look it up.) Every time I see
>> mention of this, I am thinking of prepping for a colonoscopy!

> It's about 180-proof alcohol, often injected into watermelons & such.
> Think of 'frat' parties and/or something like that
>
> Sky

Heh! I'll try to banish that other thought from my mind. Thanks.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 22:09:42 -0700, sf wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 20:44:03 -0500, Sky >
> wrote:
>
>> It's about 180-proof alcohol, often injected into watermelons & such.
>> Think of 'frat' parties and/or something like that
>>

> Never did that. Never was in the same room (or block) as a jello shot
> either... damn. Did I miss something?

navel shooters are better.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Goodman wrote:
> Jean B. wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:

>>> French toast was always a special treat. :-) The Vanilla extract
>>> mom used was home made. A half-dozen vanilla beans soaked for a
>>> few months in 750 mls. of Everclear...

>> What is Everclear? (Yes, I can and will look it up.) Every time I
>> see mention of this, I am thinking of prepping for a colonoscopy!

> From Google:
> Everclear (alcohol) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
> Everclear is a brand of neutral grain spirit that is available at
> concentrations of 75.5% alcohol (151 proof) and 95% alcohol (190
> proof), in contrast to ...
> Availability - Uses - In popular culture - See also
> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everclear_(alcohol) - Cached - Similar
>
> It's also the name of a rock band. Goodman's _th Law: Whatever you
> look up, there is a rock band or a computer program with that name;
> sometimes both.

Thanks for the info. My immediate reaction to the rock band was
"Great! A rock band will also have me thinking of less pleasant
things." Or words to that effect.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Jean B. wrote:
>
>> The best French toast I have ever eaten--or cooked--was made from slabs of
>> homemade cinnamon bread. I had that at an inn decades ago. After that I
>> used to make cinnamon bread just for that purpose. Depending on where you
>> are, you may be able to get great-quality cinnamon bread without making
>> it. It should be unsliced, because you want the slices to be very
>> thick--probably 3/4 to 1 inch thick.

> Brioche has already been mentioned in this thread; I think that's the best
> bread for French toast. Challah, being a close relative of brioche, is also
> fantastic.
>
> I like to vary what flavorings I use for the custard, though I note that
> Cook's Illustrated goes with just a little nutmeg, and they found that
> vanilla extract tended to overshadow any other flavors. One or two at a
> time, I've used allspice, mace, nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon/cassia, orange
> extract, almond extract (especially if serving with peaches, plums, or
> apricots), black pepper, lemon extract (especially if serving with
> blueberries or poppyseeds), or creme de cacao. Whatever you *do* use it's
> important not to use very much of it, because the custard and bread are very
> mild flavors, and their flavors should still be evident in the final dish.
>
> Bob

For some reason, your mention of poppyseeds reminded me of an
Indian dish (with no poppyseeds) that is kind-of like French
toast. Now I am blanking on the name of it.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 23:54:58 +0200, Victor Sack wrote:

> Here is a nice Spanish version from _A Book of Mediterranean Food_ by
> Elizabeth David.
>
> Victor
>
> Torrijas

Well, thank you Victor (and many others who participated in this thread).
I especially fancied the sauce part of this recipe and started from there...

And yes, the end result was indeed good <grin>.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
> Well, thank you Victor (and many others who participated in this thread).
> I especially fancied the sauce part of this recipe and started from
> there...
>
> And yes, the end result was indeed good <grin>.

Elizabeth David was my most fave cook and I have all her books
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT Everclear the rock band

Jean B. wrote about Everclear:

> Thanks for the info. My immediate reaction to the rock band was "Great!
> A rock band will also have me thinking of less pleasant things." Or words
> to that effect.

Everclear has a song which I used to like a lot, but which now reminds me of
Sycophant:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAh5esiyQ8I

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:

> For some reason, your mention of poppyseeds reminded me of an Indian dish
> (with no poppyseeds) that is kind-of like French toast. Now I am blanking
> on the name of it.

Something like this?

http://www.grouprecipes.com/73253/in...d-pudding.html

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 11:09:51 -0700, Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Jean B. wrote:
>
>> For some reason, your mention of poppyseeds reminded me of an Indian dish
>> (with no poppyseeds) that is kind-of like French toast. Now I am blanking
>> on the name of it.

> Something like this?
>
> http://www.grouprecipes.com/73253/in...d-pudding.html

Thanks for SHARING Bob.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:

>>> For some reason, your mention of poppyseeds reminded me of an Indian
>>> dish
>>> (with no poppyseeds) that is kind-of like French toast. Now I am
>>> blanking
>>> on the name of it.

>> Something like this?
>>
>> http://www.grouprecipes.com/73253/in...d-pudding.html
>>

> Thanks for SHARING Bob.

Oh, NOW you want the recipe posted here! OK, he

bread - 4pieces
Full cream Milk - 1 litre
condensed milk - 4tbsp or as per taste
pistachios - for garnish
saffron strands - 3-4
small green cardamom - 3-4
Rosewater - 1tsp
cardamom powder - 1/2tsp
ghee or clarified butter for frying

Soak Saffron in about 2-3tbsp of milk and cut the pistachios into small
pieces

Cut the bread pieces diagonally after removing the crust

Heat Ghee in a wok and fry the bread in it till golden

Place them on tissue paper to drain excess ghee.Set Aside

Boil milk

Add Condensed milk. We like it really sweet so we add about 4tbsp.You can
add more or less as per taste

Keep stirring while the milk boils along with the condensed milk .Keep
boiling till it reduces to almost half
its quantity.

Once done,switch off the flame and let it cool slightly.

Add the rosewater,saffron and the milk in which it was soaked,half of the
pistachios and cardamom powder.Mix well

In a dish place the fried bread slices.

Pour the milk on top them.It should be enough to soak the bread in it.The
bread should be immersed in it.

Garnish with the rest of the pistachios and whole cardamom

Let it Chill in the fridge for at least an hour before serving.

Let me contrast this with Billy's REFUSAL to post a recipe from his blog
when Barb requested it. Only a complete asshole would do that.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:

>Well, thank you.

I can't fathom you eating any toast other than shrimp.

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/daddys...st/Detail.aspx