Old 30-08-2010, 03:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Wanted: A French Toast Recipe Please.

I've tried and tried to make great tasting French Toast. I've used my
Mom's tried and true recipe for over 30 years. Just a basic no frills
approach of egg dipping a slice of white bread and then frying it. There
simply must be another way of bringing new life to an old favorite. I
would be very grateful for any cooking tips you'd care to offer me.

Many thanks,

gene

Old 30-08-2010, 06:46 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

On Sun 29 Aug 2010 07:04:33p, e-mail from gene told us...

I've tried and tried to make great tasting French Toast. I've used
my Mom's tried and true recipe for over 30 years. Just a basic no
frills approach of egg dipping a slice of white bread and then
frying it. There simply must be another way of bringing new life
to an old favorite. I would be very grateful for any cooking tips
you'd care to offer me.

Many thanks,

gene

There are any number of dipping mixtures that people use, as well
as types of breads. This is what I've made for many years...

4 eggs
1 cup whole milk (or 1/2 milk and 1/2 half & half cream)
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
unsalted butter

Whisk eggs in a medium mixing bowl until smooth. Add remaining
ingredients and whisk until well blended.

Pour mixture into shallow flat baking dish. Over medium heat, melt
sufficient butter to coat entire surface of large frying pan.

Use a firm-textured bread (I prefer challah). Add bread slices and
allow to soak on one side for 30 seconds. Turn over gently with
spatula or a couple of forks and allow to soak for another 30
seconds. Using a spatula, gently lift each slice into skillet, and
fry until nicely browned. Turn and fry until second side is nice
browned. Turn slices onto plates and sprinkle with confectioner's
sugar, or serve with butter and syrup.

Variation: Omit cinnamon and add 1 teaspoon grated orange rind.

You can use ginger instead of cinnamon; but probably a smaller
quantity unless you REALLY love ginger.

--
Dan Goodman
"I have always depended on the kindness of stranglers."
Old 30-08-2010, 07:07 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 08/29/2010 07:04 PM, e-mail from gene wrote:
I've tried and tried to make great tasting French Toast. I've used my
Mom's tried and true recipe for over 30 years. Just a basic no frills
approach of egg dipping a slice of white bread and then frying it. There
simply must be another way of bringing new life to an old favorite. I
would be very grateful for any cooking tips you'd care to offer me.

Many thanks,

gene

This was the subject of a thread here in r.f.c. some time ago. I've
copied the recipe here and added a summary of some of the comments. One
of the more interesting comments (not included here -- odd) was that the
flour in the batter probably adds some crispiness to the final crust.

I've made this recipe and it is the *best* French Toast I've ever had,
by a long shot. I made it with French bread cut on a diagonal instead of
Texas Toast and added maybe a tablespoon of brandy to the batter. After
it was cooked I put butter and a couple of slices of ripe banana on the
top of each, then covered it with plain old Log Cabin syrup. I thought
I'd died and gone to heaven. It also took about a week for my BG to come
back down. Some day I'd like to try it with brioche for the bread.

----------------- Snip Here ------------------

Denny's-Style French Toast

Ingredients:
4 eggs
2/3 cup whole milk; skim milk is OK also
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. cinnamon

6 slices Texas toast thick bread
3 Tbsp. butter
powdered sugar
butter
maple syrup

Directions:
Mix together the eggs, milk, flour, sugar, vanilla, salt and cinnamon.

Heat a large skillet, or griddle. When the skillet is hot, add 1
Tablespoon butter. If the butter smokes, your pan is too hot -- turn
down the heat.

Dip each slice of bread into the batter for 30 seconds on each side. Let
some of the batter drip off, then put in skillet. Cook each slice 1 1/2
to 2 minutes per side until each side is golden brown.

Add more butter, if necessary, to cook all of the slices.

To serve, put on plate, dust with powdered sugar. Serve with butter and
hot syrup.

Serves 6 to 8.

Notes from the readers:
Mix the cinnamon into the vanilla before adding to the egg mixture -- it
won't float on top.

Whir everything up to the bread, liquids first, in a blender. The batter
may be sticky or lumpy otherwise.

As long as you have the blender out, toss some fruit such as banana,
peach or strawberry into it. No, I don't know how much.

Halve the recipe for seven slices of regular bread.

Use raisin bread sometime.

Add some brandy.

Use dense, chewy French or sourdough bread (the long kind, not the round
kind) cut on a diagonal 1" thick and soak in the batter 45 to 60 seconds
per side. Cook 2 1/2 to 3 minutes per side. Regular bread is pretty
bland compared to this.

Top with cream cheese and/or bananas.

Make the batter the evening before and let it "cure" in the refrigerator
overnight.

Top with peanut butter and honey.

Stuffed French toast: While the French toast was cooking, we mixed
together 1/2 package of reduced fat cream cheese (Neufchatel), 2
Tablespoons butter, 1/2 cup powered sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla.
When the French toast was done and still warm, we spread a slice with
about 1 Tablespoon cream cheese mixture, and topped it with another
slice of French toast. We cut it on the diagonal, and each one of us had
a half of this "sandwich" topped with maple syrup.

Freeze the extras for later.

Use more cinnamon.
Old 30-08-2010, 08:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

On Sun 29 Aug 2010 10:46:08p, Dan Goodman told us...

You can use ginger instead of cinnamon; but probably a smaller
quantity unless you REALLY love ginger.

I imagine that ginger would be good. Are you thinking fresh grated?

No; Penzeys, already processed.

Probably a half teaspoon. I have also used freshly grated nutmeg.
There are a lot of flavoring possibilities.

Old 30-08-2010, 11:20 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

A friend of mine used a little almond extract instead of the
vanilla...nice rich taste.
Old 30-08-2010, 01:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Whirled wrote on Sun, 29 Aug 2010 23:07:36 -0700:

[...]

Sorry, here I go again.

Add a little milk to Egg-beaters and salt and pepper to taste. Soak Arab
bread in it for 5-10 minutes, fry until light brown and serve with
ketchup (and take cover from outraged maple syrup purists!)

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old 30-08-2010, 01:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

---Authentic French Toast---

Decrust a whole loaf of bread (eggy brioche is best),
and slice into 2" X 2" cubes.
Soak in egg, milk, vanilla, and sugar mixture until fully soaked
through.
Drain each piece with slotted spoon, and DEEP FRY until dark golden
brown.
Serve topped with berry sauce, and powdered sugar.
Properly done, it should be crusty, becoming slightly creamy towards
the center.

Sheldon
Old 30-08-2010, 03:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Aug 29, 7:04*pm, (e-mail from gene)
wrote:
I've tried and tried to make great tasting French Toast. I've used my
Mom's tried and true recipe for over 30 years. Just a basic no frills
approach of egg dipping a slice of white bread and then frying it. There
simply must be another way of bringing new life to an old favorite. I
would be very grateful for any cooking tips you'd care to offer me.

Many thanks,

gene

This is the pain perdu recipe we used at the restaurant both for
Sunday Brunch "fancy" and our everyday breakfast menu. It's yummy.
This recipe is scaled up for more people but you can cut it down to
whatever size fits your needs.

french bread (at least day old)
8 large eggs
4 cup whipping cream
1 cup sugar
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
4 tsps real vanilla extract

1 1/2 cup champagne
2 cup cane syrup
2 cup raspberries
2 cup blueberries
4 tbsps cream cheese --
(optional)
powdered sugar for garnish

Cut bread into 3/4 inch thick diagonal slices.
Whisk together eggs and next 5 ingredients.
Place bread slices in deep pan and pour egg mix evenly over slices.
Let stand 30 minutes till liquid is absorbed.
Cook bread slices in non stick skillet or griddle till firm and golden
and done through.

Cook champagne in large saucepan over high heat till reduced by half.
Gradually stir in syrup and cook till blended and warm.

Arrange bread slices on plate, top with raspberries and blueberries
and cream cheese (if desired) . Drizzle evenly with syrup mixture and
garnish with powdered sugar.

Another option, cut a pocket in the side of the slice of cooked toast
and stuff with cream cheese, put back on griddle for a minute to warm
through and then top and serve.

{We used this egg batter recipe at Hizzoner's for our 'everyday'
French toast with egg bread (Texas toast). You can use that or
sourdough or whatever bread you like for French toast.}

http://www.hizzoners.com/index.php?o...unch&Itemid=70
Old 30-08-2010, 04:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
[...]

It can also be served with any kind of fruit sauce, puree, or jam.
You can also serve with whipped cream, sour cream, or melt mild cheese
on top.

gloria p
Old 30-08-2010, 04:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

My French friends commonly use

"A votre sante" or

"Chin-chin"

HTH.
Old 30-08-2010, 04:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" wrote in message

Sorry, here I go again.

Add a little milk to Egg-beaters and salt and pepper to taste. Soak Arab
bread in it for 5-10 minutes, fry until light brown and serve with ketchup
(and take cover from outraged maple syrup purists!)

Sorry, here I go: "Outrage! Outrage!"

Felice

Old 30-08-2010, 05:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"spamtrap1888" wrote in message

My French friends commonly use

"A votre sante" or

"Chin-chin"