Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ping: Giusi

Will it be A Bad Idea if I use those tomatoes stewed in butter as the
basis for some tomato soup? They're on the stove now.

I made some herb bread for the Fair and made some breadsticks from the
excess dough. The bread scream for tomato soup.

Don't hurt me.
--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Aug 19, 12:52 pm, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> Will it be A Bad Idea if I use those tomatoes stewed in butter as the
> basis for some tomato soup? They're on the stove now.
>
> I made some herb bread for the Fair and made some breadsticks from the
> excess dough. The bread scream for tomato soup.
>
> Don't hurt me.
> --

I'm not Giusi but I used her method the other day with some of the
backyard tomatoes. Excellent results I might describe as the essence
of tomato. I would think they'd be an outstanding basis for soup. I
wouldn't be tempted to put in too many things to adulterate it,
though. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
aem > wrote:

> On Aug 19, 12:52 pm, Melba's Jammin' >
> wrote:
> > Will it be A Bad Idea if I use those tomatoes stewed in butter as the
> > basis for some tomato soup? They're on the stove now.
> >
> > I made some herb bread for the Fair and made some breadsticks from the
> > excess dough. The bread scream for tomato soup.
> >
> > Don't hurt me.
> > --

> I'm not Giusi but I used her method the other day with some of the
> backyard tomatoes. Excellent results I might describe as the essence
> of tomato. I would think they'd be an outstanding basis for soup. I
> wouldn't be tempted to put in too many things to adulterate it,
> though. -aem

What kind of liquid do you recommend? Water? Vegetable stock? Meat
broth? I'm thinking I'll sweat some onion, add the tomatoes and liquid,
buzz with stick or regular blender and enjoy. Whaddaya think?

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of
St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew;
sometimes in a pickle."
Where are my pearls, Honey?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> What kind of liquid do you recommend? *Water? *Vegetable stock? *Meat
> broth? *I'm thinking I'll sweat some onion, add the tomatoes and liquid,
> buzz with stick or regular blender and enjoy. *Whaddaya think?

I use some spcy v-8 as a liquid for added depth. with a swirl of
thinned sour cream or plain yogurt for pretty!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
pamjd > wrote:

> > What kind of liquid do you recommend? *Water? *Vegetable stock? *Meat
> > broth? *I'm thinking I'll sweat some onion, add the tomatoes and liquid,
> > buzz with stick or regular blender and enjoy. *Whaddaya think?

> I use some spcy v-8 as a liquid for added depth. with a swirl of
> thinned sour cream or plain yogurt for pretty!

Interesting thought. I think I want to stay away from commercial stuff,
though‹at least the first time. :-)

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of
St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew;
sometimes in a pickle."
Where are my pearls, Honey?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Giusi

"Melba's Jammin'" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> Will it be A Bad Idea if I use those tomatoes stewed in butter as the >
> basis for some tomato soup? They're on the stove now.
>
> I made some herb bread for the Fair and made some breadsticks from the >
> excess dough. The >bread scream for tomato soup.

I don't see why not, other than making the usual way would have fewer
calories. I roasted some tomatoes the other day and thought about making
soup of those too, but then it got hot again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> aem > wrote:
>
>> On Aug 19, 12:52 pm, Melba's Jammin' >> wrote:
>> > Will it be A Bad Idea if I use those tomatoes stewed in butter as the>>

>> I'm not Giusi but I used her method the other day with some of the>>
>> backyard tomatoes. Excellent results I might describe as the essence
>> of tomato. I would think they'd be an outstanding basis for soup. I>>
>> wouldn't be tempted to put in too many things to adulterate it,
>> though. -aem

> What kind of liquid do you recommend? Water? Vegetable stock? Meat >
> broth? I'm thinking I'll sweat some onion, add the tomatoes and liquid,
> buzz with stick or regular blender and enjoy. Whaddaya think?

I use milk added at first in tiny glogs and finally pouring. That keeps it
from curdling.
http://www.judithgreenwood.com/thinkonit/soup-for-erin/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Barb asked:

>> > Will it be A Bad Idea if I use those tomatoes stewed in butter as the
>> > basis for some tomato soup? They're on the stove now.
>> >
>> > I made some herb bread for the Fair and made some breadsticks from the
>> > excess dough. The bread scream for tomato soup.
>> >
>> > Don't hurt me.
>> > --

>> I'm not Giusi but I used her method the other day with some of the
>> backyard tomatoes. Excellent results I might describe as the essence
>> of tomato. I would think they'd be an outstanding basis for soup. I
>> wouldn't be tempted to put in too many things to adulterate it,
>> though. -aem

> What kind of liquid do you recommend? Water? Vegetable stock? Meat
> broth? I'm thinking I'll sweat some onion, add the tomatoes and liquid,
> buzz with stick or regular blender and enjoy. Whaddaya think?

If the sauce is "essence of tomato" as stated, I'd probably just use water
with a little white wine (or a tiny bit of vodka). Maybe a little half &
half.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Aug 19, 8:47 pm, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> In article
> >,
>
> pamjd > wrote:
>
> > > What kind of liquid do you recommend? Water? Vegetable stock? Meat
> > > broth? I'm thinking I'll sweat some onion, add the tomatoes and liquid,
> > > buzz with stick or regular blender and enjoy. Whaddaya think?

> > I use some spcy v-8 as a liquid for added depth. with a swirl of
> > thinned sour cream or plain yogurt for pretty!

> Interesting thought. I think I want to stay away from commercial stuff,
> though€¹at least the first time. :-)

I have grown backyard tomatoes for years, many varieties. I have made
good sauce, good roasted, good sun-dried (not worth the trouble to
me), etc., but I've never been successful at tomato soup. Tried many
recipes. If you come up with something that is good and without too
many additions/emendations, let me know. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote in message

> I have grown backyard tomatoes for years, many varieties. I have made
> good sauce, good roasted, good sun-dried (not worth the trouble to
> me), etc., but I've never been successful at tomato soup. Tried many
> recipes. If you come up with something that is good and without too
> many additions/emendations, let me know. -aem

I'm one of those who don't really like tomatoes raw or even cooked in
chunks. However, one time I did have a tomato bisque that was really good!
It was at Medieval Times. For those who've been there you know you don't
get spoons or forks, and the menu is limited. You go for the show. So I
drank the bisque because I was hungry. I'd like to recreate that and I
might actually like chunky tomato dishes. I do want to try a smooth tomato
soup, too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
aem > wrote:

> I have grown backyard tomatoes for years, many varieties. I have made
> good sauce, good roasted, good sun-dried (not worth the trouble to
> me), etc., but I've never been successful at tomato soup. Tried many
> recipes. If you come up with something that is good and without too
> many additions/emendations, let me know. -aem

Well-l-l, I made the soup. It is wonderful. Some might disagree with
my ingredients and my method, but it worked for me. I've posted a
picture to a.b.food.

Nothing fancy: I prepared the tomatoes as Giusi described, cut side down
in butter in a skillet, cooked very slowly. Slipped the skins.
Sweated a bit of onion (maybe 2 tablespoons) in some olive oil, then
added the tomatoes, saw that it wasn't much and added a can (shoot me)
of Swanson's vegetable broth, a pint of homemade, blue ribbon, tomato
juice, brought it to boil, simmered for a minute and whizzed it in the
pot with the stick blender. It was a bit acidic for my taste so I
dusted the top with some baking soda to neutralize some of the acid.

I poured some into a bowl, tempered some half and half with some of the
soup and poured that into the bowl, too, resulting in a two-tone soup.
Floated a sprig of basil on top for the helluva it (should've used a
smaller sprig).

Took some pictures and ate it up. It's very good. Nothing fancy.

I have a pint in the fridge that I'll have for lunch today.

I'm thinking I'd like to do that skillet thing with more tomatoes and
freeze the resulting sauce for later use. Don't know if I'll be making
tomato juice this year €“ it's a bit of a PITA to do.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of
St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew;
sometimes in a pickle."
Where are my pearls, Honey?

PING Giusi injipoint[_2_] General Cooking 2 12-11-2011 10:51 PM
ping Giusi ViLco General Cooking 23 27-03-2010 10:55 PM
PING: Giusi Giusi[_5_] General Cooking 0 05-10-2009 03:25 PM
PING: Giusi Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 7 04-03-2009 08:28 AM
PING: Giusi Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 7 28-02-2008 06:47 PM