Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default World's most beautiful dishes???

<http://www.foodandwine.com/slideshows/worlds-most-beautiful-dishes>

As far as I am concerned, some of them look beautiful, few of them look
appetizing.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 23:58:56 +0200, Victor Sack wrote:

> <http://www.foodandwine.com/slideshows/worlds-most-beautiful-dishes>
>
> As far as I am concerned, some of them look beautiful, few of them look
> appetizing.

I'll eat the short ribs and the mussels, but frankly, a Double Whopper with
cheese would be more worthwhile than the other 18 dishes.

Oh, they didn't describe the dish so I'll just take the iPod over the
Double Whopper w/cheese.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 14, 4:58*pm, (Victor Sack) wrote:
> <http://www.foodandwine.com/slideshows/worlds-most-beautiful-dishes>
>
> As far as I am concerned, some of them look beautiful, few of them look
> appetizing.

The bubble one looked nice. They're all perfectly silly though.
The sous-vide short ribs would be improved by leaving out the pickled
carrots and daikon.
Sous-vide is the new craze. Sous-vide cooking, combined with
electronic Pasteurization (irradiation) offers the possibility of
wonderfully tender, ready to eat beef from the local grocery store.
NOt for me though. I've got good teeth, and nothing compares to a
thick cut, wood grilled porterhouse, charred lightly and rare in the
center.

> Victor

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 14, 5:52*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 23:58:56 +0200, Victor Sack wrote:
> > <http://www.foodandwine.com/slideshows/worlds-most-beautiful-dishes>

> > As far as I am concerned, some of them look beautiful, few of them look
> > appetizing.

> I'll eat the short ribs and the mussels, but frankly, a Double Whopper with
> cheese would be more worthwhile than the other 18 dishes.
>
> Oh, they didn't describe the dish so I'll just take the iPod over the
> Double Whopper w/cheese.

I don't think you get to keep the iPod.

> -sw

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 15:55:13 -0700 (PDT), Food Snob® wrote:

> On Aug 14, 5:52*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
>> On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 23:58:56 +0200, Victor Sack wrote:
>>> <http://www.foodandwine.com/slideshows/worlds-most-beautiful-dishes>

>>> As far as I am concerned, some of them look beautiful, few of them look
>>> appetizing.

>> I'll eat the short ribs and the mussels, but frankly, a Double Whopper with
>> cheese would be more worthwhile than the other 18 dishes.
>>
>> Oh, they didn't describe the dish so I'll just take the iPod over the
>> Double Whopper w/cheese.

> I don't think you get to keep the iPod.

Hrmpff. Not even the earbuds?

Nothing like tuning out your dining companions listening to an iPod, eh?
Must be a kid's dish.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 18:37:24 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 15:55:13 -0700 (PDT), Food Snob® wrote:

>>> I'll eat the short ribs and the mussels, but frankly, a Double Whopper with
>>> cheese would be more worthwhile than the other 18 dishes.
>>>
>>> Oh, they didn't describe the dish so I'll just take the iPod over the
>>> Double Whopper w/cheese.

>> I don't think you get to keep the iPod.

> Hrmpff. Not even the earbuds?
>
> Nothing like tuning out your dining companions listening to an iPod, eh?
> Must be a kid's dish.

Heh. I didn't notice the name of the restaurant. Isn't this the one Mark
keeps posting about - the restaurant that's killing people (or at least
making them very sick).

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Victor Sack" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> <http://www.foodandwine.com/slideshows/worlds-most-beautiful-dishes>
>
> As far as I am concerned, some of them look beautiful, few of them look>
> appetizing.

Most of them don't look like food, but manufactured cute something.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve wrote:

>>> I don't think you get to keep the iPod.

>> Hrmpff. Not even the earbuds?
>>
>> Nothing like tuning out your dining companions listening to an iPod, eh?
>> Must be a kid's dish.

> Heh. I didn't notice the name of the restaurant. Isn't this the one Mark
> keeps posting about - the restaurant that's killing people (or at least
> making them very sick).

I wasn't able to view more than the first slide, but I gather that you're
talking about Heston Blumenthal's ocean-flavored dish which is accompanied
by an iPod playing "noises of the sea"? I was just thinking about that dish
earlier today: When Lin and I visited Manresa earlier this year, we were
served a dish which was strongly flavored like that. (I think it was called
"clam jelly.") Lin said she was transported back to her childhood, when her
family would gather clams on the beach and eat them right there. (She said
as much to the chef, David Kinch, when we met him.) I can imagine how the
experience would have been heightened even further by an iPod playing sounds
like that.

If you *were* talking about Blumenthal, I think the result of the
investigation into the sicknesses was that the restaurant had received
tainted ingredients from one of their suppliers. (I would google for the
details, but it would take more time than it's worth.)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 02:11:28 -0500, Andy wrote:

> "Giusi" > wrote:
>

>> "Victor Sack" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>>> <http://www.foodandwine.com/slideshows/worlds-most-beautiful-dishes>
>>>
>>> As far as I am concerned, some of them look beautiful, few of them
>>> look> appetizing.

>> Most of them don't look like food, but manufactured cute something.

> My friends Mom created visually stunning dishes for food industry
> commercials.
>
> It's entirely artificial!!! Put ice cream under 1,000 watt lamps and
> photograph a pool of what!??
>
> At the same time, it was an art and she was the best at it!!! She'd
> prepare it days in advance.
>
> Look at a delicious dish of ice cream in print or a TV commercial.
> LOL!!!
>
> Mostly FAKE!!!
>
> Andy

write your congressman.

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 15, 11:42*am, blake murphy > wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 02:11:28 -0500, Andy wrote:
> > "Giusi" > wrote:

> >> "Victor Sack" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> . ..

> >> Most of them don't look like food, but manufactured cute something.

> > My friends Mom created visually stunning dishes for food industry
> > commercials.

> > It's entirely artificial!!! Put ice cream under 1,000 watt lamps and
> > photograph a pool of what!??

> > At the same time, it was an art and she was the best at it!!! She'd
> > prepare it days in advance.

> > Look at a delicious dish of ice cream in print or a TV commercial.
> > LOL!!!

> > Mostly FAKE!!!

> > Andy

> write your congressman.
>
> blake

I've never done real food styling, but I used to do props for the
theatre - including food. One summer we did "Carousel" the Rogers
and Hammerstein musical. The director wanted a carnival scene for the
opening. He wanted the actors to be able to EAT the props - candy
apples and ice cream cones. The theatre is outdoors, it is July and
the temperature hovers around 80 degrees in the audience and at least
ten degrees warmer on stage. The candy apples were easy a little
butter or margarine on the apple on the stick and they looked just
like shiny red candy apples. WE tried to think of ANYTHING edible
that would not melt FAST at 90 degrees. Somebody finally came up with
instant mashed potatoes and a little food coloring. They weren't
great or even good, but they were edible, cheap and would hold up for
the 10 minutes of the overture - "Carousel Waltz".
Lynn in Fargo
Happy that there were no clams, lobsters, potatoes or corn required
for the "Real Nice Clambake" !
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:

> And the Eggs Caviar reminds me of the Ritz Eggs that have been a
> standard at the Ritz Carlton in Newport Beach for years.

It is a pretty standard presentation, culinarily and photographically,
the only thing new, to me, being the use of whipped cream. Otherwise,
the dish presented pretty much the same way appeared in Michel Guérard's
_Cuisine Minceur_ in 1976. The photo in the book is even more beautiful
than the one on the foodandwine.com site. It is actually one of the
dishes I wouldn't be at all averse to eat, whipped cream and all (and I
did prepare Guérard's version a couple of times; it's an easy enough
dish and can be made with other kinds of fish roe). On the other hand
(if the other hand is needed), I'd gladly sample all the dishes, if
occasionally only for the hell of it.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger > wrote:

> If you *were* talking about Blumenthal, I think the result of the
> investigation into the sicknesses was that the restaurant had received
> tainted ingredients from one of their suppliers. (I would google for the
> details, but it would take more time than it's worth.)

Here is what I posted on 10th September, 2009.

From what I gather, the outbreak of the infection could have hardly been
avoidable. It is the length of the episode (six weeks) that is
disturbing, but I wonder if it would have been any shorter at any other
establishment. The HPA's pointing out slight faults on the part of the
restaurant is just going through the motions. The only suggestion that
really makes sense is that the sick stuff should stay at home. The
problem is, norovirus carriers are not always (or not immediately) sick.

Here are both the short synopsis and the full report directly from the
source:

<http://www.hpa.org.uk/webw/HPAweb&HPAwebStandard/HPAweb_C/1252514873164?p=1231252394302>

<http://www.hpa.org.uk/webc/HPAwebFile/HPAweb_C/1252514873165>

Victor

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gloria.p > wrote:

> > <http://www.foodandwine.com/slideshows/worlds-most-beautiful-dishes>

> It felt, after looking at a few, that a photographer just wanted to brag
> about the famous trendy restaurants he'd visited.

The photos are from various sources, some supplied by the restaurants in
question.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 14, 4:58*pm, (Victor Sack) wrote:
> <http://www.foodandwine.com/slideshows/worlds-most-beautiful-dishes>
>
> As far as I am concerned, some of them look beautiful, few of them look
> appetizing.
>
> Victor

These are lovely, but as you pointed out, not terribly appetizing, I
prefer a scoop of gelato, topped with fresh raspberries, could
anything be more beautiful or appetising? How about Creme' Brulee??
The beautiful crust, maybe topped with a fresh mint leaf? Beautiful
and ready to eat.

Rosie
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jill wrote:

> Considering they have to kill a palm tree to get to those hearts of
> palm... no thanks. I didn't realize that the first time I used some
> marintatetd hearts of palm in a dish. Now I won't go near hearts of palm.

That hasn't been true for decades.

Bob