Vicky Conlan

Default Greatest Dishes in the World

I've just watched the whole series of "The Greatest Dishes in the World" on
SkyOne (apologies to non-UK readers), and I'm quite miffed to get to the end
and they didn't have a vegetarian dishes section. I know, I know, most chefs
don't count vegetarian food as 'proper', so how can they have a greatest dish
category for it, but with the number of chefs around, I'm sure they could have
found /something/!

Anyhow, I digress. I'm working up to making a wee complaint to them, and I
was wondering if anyone could suggest some 'great' vegetarian dishes that
they may have expected to have seen up there?

(in the previous round, which was 'meat', the winner was some kind of boiled
7-different-cuts-of-meat Italian dish, which beat steak and kidney and oyster
pudding, a Japanese steak dish and something else I've forgotten; before
that they had winners of game pie, and before that lobster thermador, iirc,
if that gives any hints for what kind of thing they would be looking for)

--
UK Competitions and slogans: http://sig.comps.org/
Don Quinoa

Vicky Conlan wrote:
> I've just watched the whole series of "The Greatest Dishes in the World"

Vegetarian Greats.

My personal favourite is still the Bonnie Prince Pudding from "Rainbows
and Wellies" closely followed by an ackee and smoked tofu quiche from
"vegan" (ISBN 0600611906)

There are very few veggie restaurants in that league although The
Cookbook from The Millenium restaurant The Artful Vegan is devine.

At the weekend I made a Aubergine, wild mushroom and pine nut galette
with sweet potato, caulflower and nutmeg mash and garlic sauteed
aspargaus that was quite awesome.

The rice milk pancakes with chanterelles in a creamy quinoa, cashew and
brandy sauce served with wild leaves drizzled with soya yoghurt, lime
and hempnut oil dressing and a beetroot and caraway salad deserves a
mention.

You can tell I like mushrooms huh?

Tony - http://www.foodsforlife.org &
http://www.recipes.for-vegans.co.uk