Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

Default Cincinnati Chili

On Jul 29, 7:17*am, Mr. Bill > wrote:
> I have had this recipe for many many years...but never made it.
> Frankly, I questioned some of the ingredients....cocoa and allspice.

I know there are many many people who are aficionados of Cincinnati
Chili and I do not disparage taste or preference of others, what you
like is what you like. Having said that, this particular 'chili' is
not something I ever want to eat....again. I just don't get it. I
don't think it's good on hot dogs either.

oh, the cocoa and allspice are pretty 'authentic'... maybe that's why
it just doesn't appeal to me...something about that combination plus
the cheddar cheese...don't know.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 29, 9:29*am, ImStillMags > wrote:
> On Jul 29, 7:17*am, Mr. Bill > wrote:
>
> > I have had this recipe for many many years...but never made it.
> > Frankly, I questioned some of the ingredients....cocoa and allspice.

> I know there are many many people who are aficionados of Cincinnati
> Chili and I do not disparage taste or preference of others, what you
> like is what you like. * *Having said that, this particular 'chili' is
> not something I ever want to eat....again. * *I just don't get it. * I
> don't think it's good on hot dogs either.
>
> oh, the cocoa and allspice are pretty 'authentic'... *maybe that's why
> it just doesn't appeal to me...something about that combination plus
> the cheddar cheese...don't know.

It looks nasty.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 29, 11:54*am, Food Snob® > wrote:
> On Jul 29, 9:29*am, ImStillMags > wrote:
>
> > On Jul 29, 7:17*am, Mr. Bill > wrote:

> > > I have had this recipe for many many years...but never made it.
> > > Frankly, I questioned some of the ingredients....cocoa and allspice.

> > I know there are many many people who are aficionados of Cincinnati
> > Chili and I do not disparage taste or preference of others, what you
> > like is what you like. * *Having said that, this particular 'chili' is
> > not something I ever want to eat....again. * *I just don't get it. * I
> > don't think it's good on hot dogs either.

> > oh, the cocoa and allspice are pretty 'authentic'... *maybe that's why
> > it just doesn't appeal to me...something about that combination plus
> > the cheddar cheese...don't know.

> It looks nasty.

The only thing that looks odd is the ground pork. Even though
Cincinnati is Porkopolis, I'd expect the chili to be all beef.

DH is from Cincinnati, and although he eats his chili over spaghetti,
he won't touch Cincinnati chili. It's the "sweet" spices that turn
him
(and me) off.

We walked into a Skyline once, and I had to leave, it smelled so bad.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy wrote on Thu, 29 Jul 2010 10:18:20 -0700 (PDT):

> On Jul 29, 11:54 am, Food Snob® > wrote:

> >> I know there are many many people who are aficionados of
> >> Cincinnati Chili and I do not disparage taste or preference
> >> of others, what you like is what you like. Having said
> >> that, this particular 'chili' is not something I ever want
> >> to eat....again. I just don't get it. I don't think
> >> it's good on hot dogs either.

> >> oh, the cocoa and allspice are pretty 'authentic'... maybe
> >> that's why it just doesn't appeal to me...something about
> >> that combination plus the cheddar cheese...don't know.

>> It looks nasty.

> The only thing that looks odd is the ground pork. Even though
> Cincinnati is Porkopolis, I'd expect the chili to be all beef.

> DH is from Cincinnati, and although he eats his chili over
> spaghetti, he won't touch Cincinnati chili. It's the "sweet"
> spices that turn him
> (and me) off.

> We walked into a Skyline once, and I had to leave, it smelled
> so bad.

I make Cincinnatti quite frequently and it is a pleasant variation on
Texican chili. You don't want to overdo the allspice or the cocoa but I
rather like the five-way version: on very well drained spaghetti with
chopped onions, pinto beans and cheese on top. Let me add the recipe I
use and please note that ground turkey breast works if you are intent on
a lower fat dish.

Cincinnati Chili

This is a delightful spin on more traditional Chili recipes. Greek
immigrants originally developed this type of chili. The Cincinnati Chili
parlors (Empress, Gold Star, Skyline, etc.) are ubiquitous institutions
of Cincinnati and Indianapolis. There are no beans in this chili and it
is usually served over spaghetti. (Jeff and Kate Hirsch.
http://www.mainstreetdental.com)

Basically, what is involved is the addition of exotic things like
vinegar, cinnamon, allspice and chocolate or cocoa, serving on spaghetti
and the omission of beans. Ground turkey breast also works for the meat!
The addition of tomatillos and jalapenos is my idea based on real chili
and is very necessary (tho' not in the original recipe which is a bit
blah!)

2 to 2 1/2 lb. of ground beef

1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon

2 tsp. ground cumin

3 tbs. chili powder

1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper

1 tsp. ground allspice

1 tbs. salt

1 medium onion, finely chopped

4 garlic cloves, crushed

1 12 ounce can tomato paste

1 15 ounce cans of tomato sauce

4 cups water

2 tbs. vinegar

2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

4 bay leaves

2 tab cocoa

1/2 tsp. Ground cayenne peppers

6 (at least) tomatillos, coarsely chopped

3 (at least) jalapenos, (seeded and chopped)

Add olive oil to a large (4-6 quart) pot over medium high heat. Add
ground beef and the next 8 ingredients. Stir while cooking until meat is
lightly browned. Add the tomato paste and tomato sauce along with the
water, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaves, tomatillos, jalapenos
and chocolate. For more "fire", add the ground cayenne (careful). Bring
to boil then reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
Stir, occasionally to prevent sticking. Serves six to eight with listed
accompaniments.

To Serve.

Cincinnati chili lovers order their chili by number "3, 4, or 5-way".
Make this a fun meal; cook spaghetti, shred some cheddar cheese, chop
some onions, open a can of kidney beans. Let your guests (family) create
their own final product. Spaghetti should be "dry", i.e. very well
drained.

3-Way. Serve chili on deep sided plate or shallow bowl over cooked and

drained spaghetti. Top with finely shredded cheddar cheese. This is
called a three-way.

4-Way. Sprinkle chopped raw onions on chili before adding cheese.

5-Way. Add cooked beans (kidney) to the top of the chopped onions
before adding cheese.

6-Way. Pass the Rolaids!

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan wrote about Cincinnati Chili:

> It looks nasty.

You're judging chili based on the way it LOOKS? Is there some chili which
DOESN'T look like it's been regurgitated?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton > wrote in message
[snip]

> I make Cincinnatti quite frequently and it is a pleasant variation on
> Texican chili.

[..]
> Cincinnati Chili

[snip recipe]

Thanks, James, for the recipe. I'm off to check what I have against what
I'll need and we'll be giving it a try tomorrow night.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger > wrote in message
> Bryan wrote about Cincinnati Chili:

>> It looks nasty.
>>

> You're judging chili based on the way it LOOKS? Is
> there some chili which > DOESN'T look like it's been
> regurgitated?

Look at the source of the comment and you'll know you've already answered
your question. Bryan wouldn't know the difference between "nasty" or "good"
even if someone sat him down and spooned in either.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 29, 12:36*pm, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> Bryan wrote about Cincinnati Chili:
>
> > It looks nasty.

> You're judging chili based on the way it LOOKS? Is there some chili which
> DOESN'T look like it's been regurgitated?

I meant that looking at the ingredients, it seemed like it would taste
nasty.

> Bob

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan wrote:

>>> It looks nasty.

>> You're judging chili based on the way it LOOKS? Is there some chili which
>> DOESN'T look like it's been regurgitated?

> I meant that looking at the ingredients, it seemed like it would taste
> nasty.

Ah, okay. Thanks for the clarification. I'm not a huge fan of Cincinnati
chili, but I don't find it offensive. Some very dear friends *love* the
stuff, so I learned how to make it.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 07:29:11 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags wrote:

> On Jul 29, 7:17*am, Mr. Bill > wrote:
>> I have had this recipe for many many years...but never made it.
>> Frankly, I questioned some of the ingredients....cocoa and allspice.

> I know there are many many people who are aficionados of Cincinnati
> Chili and I do not disparage taste or preference of others, what you
> like is what you like. Having said that, this particular 'chili' is
> not something I ever want to eat....again. I just don't get it. I
> don't think it's good on hot dogs either.
>
> oh, the cocoa and allspice are pretty 'authentic'... maybe that's why
> it just doesn't appeal to me...something about that combination plus
> the cheddar cheese...don't know.

frankly, it's the cinnamon that throws me. but *de gustibus* and all that.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 05:42:37 GMT, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> I meant that looking at the ingredients, it seemed like it would
>>> taste nasty.

>> Ah, okay. Thanks for the clarification. I'm not a huge fan of
>> Cincinnati chili, but I don't find it offensive. Some very dear
>> friends *love* the stuff, so I learned how to make it.
>>
>> Bob

> I do find Cincinnati Chili offensive, in fact, disgusting And that's
> not just looking at it but eating it in CIncinnati. I wouldn't make
> it on a bet. I guess it's something you either love or hate.

with all due respect, wayne, some people find the whole concept of
cincinnati offensive.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 31, 4:08*pm, blake murphy > wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 05:42:37 GMT, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> >> Ah, okay. Thanks for the clarification. I'm not a huge fan of
> >> Cincinnati chili, but I don't find it offensive. Some very dear
> >> friends *love* the stuff, so I learned how to make it.

> >> Bob

> > I do find Cincinnati Chili offensive, in fact, disgusting *And that's
> > not just looking at it but eating it in CIncinnati. *I wouldn't make
> > it on a bet. *I guess it's something you either love or hate.

> with all due respect, wayne, some people find the whole concept of
> cincinnati offensive.
>
> your pal,
> blake

and some people also find the concept of sniveling little sperm
burpers offensive, too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

skeeter reacted to the Cincinnati-bashing:

> **** you. it beats arizona.

Feelin' mighty froggy since the Bengals picked up T.O., aren't ya?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 15:18:02 -0700 (PDT), none of your business wrote:

> On Jul 31, 4:08*pm, blake murphy > wrote:
>> On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 05:42:37 GMT, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Thu 29 Jul 2010 10:03:21p, Bob Terwilliger told us...

>>> I do find Cincinnati Chili offensive, in fact, disgusting *And that's
>>> not just looking at it but eating it in CIncinnati. *I wouldn't make
>>> it on a bet. *I guess it's something you either love or hate.

>> with all due respect, wayne, some people find the whole concept of
>> cincinnati offensive.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> and some people also find the concept of sniveling little sperm
> burpers offensive, too.

....but on the other hand, everyone *loves* anonymous whiners.

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 07:44:49 GMT, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Sat 31 Jul 2010 01:08:00p, blake murphy told us...
>
>> On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 05:42:37 GMT, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>>> On Thu 29 Jul 2010 10:03:21p, Bob Terwilliger told us...

>>> I do find Cincinnati Chili offensive, in fact, disgusting And
>>> that's not just looking at it but eating it in CIncinnati. I
>>> wouldn't make it on a bet. I guess it's something you either
>>> love or hate.

>> with all due respect, wayne, some people find the whole concept of
>> cincinnati offensive.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake
>>

> That's hardly a surprise. :-)

you know i'm just teasing you, honey. hell, even akron can boast of devo.

your pal,
blake