Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default World's strongest beer

This one was too good not to sha

A small Scottish brewery near the northern port city of Aberdeen is
trying to distinguish itself by offering consumers a beer that comes
in a bottle made with stuffed animals, dressed in eccentric outfits.

BrewDog a self-described maverick brewery says their latest beer, The
End of History, is the most shocking and most expensive in the world.
Claiming to have brewed the beer to sit at 55% alcohol by volume it is
also “the most alcoholic beer known to man.” “It does exist,” said
James Watt when asked if news of his brew were fact or fiction....

http://www.torontosun.com/news/canad.../14794821.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:
> This one was too good not to sha
>
> A small Scottish brewery near the northern port city of Aberdeen is
> trying to distinguish itself by offering consumers a beer that comes
> in a bottle made with stuffed animals, dressed in eccentric outfits.
>
> BrewDog a self-described maverick brewery says their latest beer, The
> End of History, is the most shocking and most expensive in the world.
> Claiming to have brewed the beer to sit at 55% alcohol by volume it is
> also “the most alcoholic beer known to man.” “It does exist,” said
> James Watt when asked if news of his brew were fact or fiction....
>
> http://www.torontosun.com/news/canad.../14794821.html

And apparently too good not to share twice?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-07-24, maxine in ri > wrote:

> Claiming to have brewed the beer to sit at 55% alcohol by
> volume.....

It's crap. Real beer isn't 100+ proof!! You want beer ingredients in
a high alcohol beverage, drink Scotch.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 24, 4:49*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> maxine in ri wrote:
> > This one was too good not to sha

> > A small Scottish brewery near the northern port city of Aberdeen is
> > trying to distinguish itself by offering consumers a beer that comes
> > in a bottle made with stuffed animals, dressed in eccentric outfits.

> > BrewDog a self-described maverick brewery says their latest beer, The
> > End of History, is the most shocking and most expensive in the world.
> > Claiming to have brewed the beer to sit at 55% alcohol by volume it is
> > also “the most alcoholic beer known to man.” “It does exist,” said
> > James Watt when asked if news of his brew were fact or fiction....

> >http://www.torontosun.com/news/canad.../14794821.html

> And apparently too good not to share twice?

You caught me before I deleted it. Sorry bout that.

maxinein ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine wrote on Sat, 24 Jul 2010 14:05:38 -0700 (PDT):

> On Jul 24, 4:49 pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
>> maxine in ri wrote:
> >> This one was too good not to sha

> >> A small Scottish brewery near the northern port city of
> >> Aberdeen is trying to distinguish itself by offering
> >> consumers a beer that comes in a bottle made with stuffed
> >> animals, dressed in eccentric outfits.

> >> BrewDog a self-described maverick brewery says their latest
> >> beer, The End of History, is the most shocking and most
> >> expensive in the world. Claiming to have brewed the beer to
> >> sit at 55% alcohol by volume it is also “the most alcoholic
> >> beer known to man.” “It does exist,” said James Watt when
> >> asked if news of his brew were fact or fiction....

> >> http://www.torontosun.com/news/canad.../14794821.html

>> And apparently too good not to share twice?

> You caught me before I deleted it. Sorry bout that.

AFAIK, the strongest alcohol solution obtainable by brewing is about
16%. Anything stronger than that must be made by adding alcohol as such
or perhaps brandy. You can also increase the alcohol content in wine or
cider (and, I suppose beer) by freezing it and filtering off the water
crystals but that's not brewing and I don't care what Aberdonian brewers
say.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2010-07-24, maxine in ri > wrote:
>
>> Claiming to have brewed the beer to sit at 55% alcohol by
>> volume.....

> It's crap. Real beer isn't 100+ proof!! You want beer ingredients in
> a high alcohol beverage, drink Scotch.

The strongest beer I ever had was 10%. At that point you can taste the
alcohol. IMO, beer is not the sort of drink where you want to taste the
alcohol.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri > wrote in news:83f71817-b697-4bb5-952f-
:

> This one was too good not to sha
>
> A small Scottish brewery near the northern port city of Aberdeen is
> trying to distinguish itself by offering consumers a beer that comes
> in a bottle made with stuffed animals, dressed in eccentric outfits.
>
> BrewDog a self-described maverick brewery says their latest beer, The
> End of History, is the most shocking and most expensive in the world.
> Claiming to have brewed the beer to sit at 55% alcohol by volume it is
> also “the most alcoholic beer known to man.” “It does exist,” said
> James Watt when asked if news of his brew were fact or fiction....

http://www.torontosun.com/news/canad.../14794821.html

:-)

Subject: Speaking of beer........
Newsgroups:rec.food.cooking
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 15:38:04 +1000

Beer,wrapped in the bodies of dead animals, and 55% strong!!

World's strongest beer - guaranteed to dent your wallet if not your liver

* From: NewsCore
* July 23, 2010 1:09AM

* Beer 55 per cent alcohol
* Bottles cost $855 each
* Presented in stuffed animal

THE world's strongest beer can be yours for a mere £500 ($855) a bottle.

The blond Belgian ale, named The End of History, is an astonishing 55 per
cent alcohol by volume (ABV) and is presented in a case made from stuffed
animals, including stoats and squirrels.

Made by BrewDog, based in Scotland, the beer is infused with fresh juniper
berries and nettles from the Scottish Highlands and was developed using an
extreme freezing technique.

Hundreds of pints of beer were used during the process, which was repeated
dozens of times to produce just enough for a 330 milliliter bottle - hence
the record breaking cost.

James Watt, the company's co-founder, said: "This is the beer to end all
beers."

BrewDog drew criticism last year over the launch of a 32 per cent beer,
which was later trumped by a German brewery that produced a 40 per cent
strength liquor -- BrewDog then created Sink the Bismark, at 41 per cent.

Mr Watt said The End of History was made to offer beer drinkers more
choice.

“We want to show people there is an alternative to monolithic corporate
beers, introduce them to a completely new approach to beer and elevate the
status of beer in our culture."

He said the first two bottles were sold to a beer fan in Denmark.

Read mo
http://www.news.com.au/world/worlds-...er-guaranteed-
to-dent-your-wallet-if-not-your-liver/story-e6frfkyi-1225895855686
#ixzz0uTsiFgm5

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

> AFAIK, the strongest alcohol solution obtainable by brewing is about
> 16%. Anything stronger than that must be made by adding alcohol as such
> or perhaps brandy. You can also increase the alcohol content in wine or
> cider (and, I suppose beer) by freezing it and filtering off the water
> crystals but that's not brewing and I don't care what Aberdonian brewers
> say.

Without checking it out I think you are right there. Seems to me that
the trick to making port is that they let the wine ferment to a certain
point and then add brandy to increase the alcohol content to the point
where it kills the yeast.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> maxine wrote on Sat, 24 Jul 2010 14:05:38 -0700 (PDT):

>>> And apparently too good not to share twice?

>> You caught me before I deleted it. Sorry bout that.

> AFAIK, the strongest alcohol solution obtainable by brewing is about 16%.
> Anything stronger than that must be made by adding alcohol as such or
> perhaps brandy. You can also increase the alcohol content in wine or cider
> (and, I suppose beer) by freezing it and filtering off the water crystals
> but that's not brewing and I don't care what Aberdonian brewers say.
>
> --
>
> James Silverton

I have been reading at rec.crafts.brewing, and where Bart Goddard posted:

Homebrew ABV varies. It's not hard to make a 7 or
8% beer. Just add more malt (and balance it with
more hops or burnt malt.) There are some new strains
of high-tolerance yeasts that are supposed to be able
to take 25%, but you're lucky if you can get 17 or 18
and care has to be taken (now temperature matters) to
not create excessive fusel alcohols and to keep the
yeast active.

end of quote

I had asked what the % of home brewed beer was. 55% would only be
achievable, from what I have read, by adding alcohol.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Il 24/07/2010 23:16, James Silverton ha scritto:

> AFAIK, the strongest alcohol solution obtainable by brewing is about
> 16%. Anything stronger than that must be made by adding alcohol as such
> or perhaps brandy. You can also increase the alcohol content in wine or
> cider (and, I suppose beer) by freezing it and filtering off the water
> crystals but that's not brewing and I don't care what Aberdonian brewers
> say.

Very true. At 55% volume that's not beer
--
Vilco
and the Family Stone

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Il 24/07/2010 23:33, Dave Smith ha scritto:

>> It's crap. Real beer isn't 100+ proof!! You want beer ingredients in
>> a high alcohol beverage, drink Scotch.

> The strongest beer I ever had was 10%. At that point you can taste the
> alcohol. IMO, beer is not the sort of drink where you want to taste the
> alcohol.

Agreed. My top was a Slamom beer, with 9% alcohol: pure shit.
Or you make it in the 5-6 percent, or you're brewing shit
--
Vilco
and the Family Stone
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ViLco > wrote in -
september.org:

> Il 24/07/2010 23:16, James Silverton ha scritto:
>
>> AFAIK, the strongest alcohol solution obtainable by brewing is about
>> 16%. Anything stronger than that must be made by adding alcohol as such
>> or perhaps brandy. You can also increase the alcohol content in wine or
>> cider (and, I suppose beer) by freezing it and filtering off the water
>> crystals but that's not brewing and I don't care what Aberdonian

brewers
>> say.

> Very true. At 55% volume that's not beer

As the co-founder said...... "As for what the strongest beer in the world
tastes like, Watt says the taste is closer to liquor than beer.

“It would taste more like a good single malt whisky than beer,” he said."

It explained the process to get the beer in a little more detail in the
article I published a couple of days ago.......

"Made by BrewDog, based in Scotland, the beer is infused with fresh
juniper
berries and nettles from the Scottish Highlands and was developed using an
extreme freezing technique.

Hundreds of pints of beer were used during the process, which was repeated
dozens of times to produce just enough for a 330 milliliter bottle - hence
the record breaking cost. "

The strongest beer I've had (quasi commercial beer) was in Russia.
Avaialble on the roadside in plastic milk crates, 500ml bottles at 15%.

To this day I'm not sure if it was commercial beer, or home brew!!

But I have made a home brew from Coopers 'Real Ale' that was about 15-16%.
I called it "Elephant Beer" :-)

http://www.coopers.com.au/the-brewer...products/brew-
cans/original

http://tinyurl.com/247ljr2

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>> The strongest beer I ever had was 10%. At that point you can taste the
>> alcohol. IMO, beer is not the sort of drink where you want to taste the
>> alcohol.

That's me. I can think of 100 good varieties of "booze" that I would much
prefer than some beer that tastes like it has Everclear in it.

Good single malt scotches
resposado
almond tequila
good vodka
good corn liquor out of a Mason jar
good corn whisky with tax paid on it
cheap spiced rum
I could go on for a long time

all kept in the fridge or freezer to improve their tastes.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-07-24, James Silverton > wrote:

> AFAIK........

That's as far as YOU know.

In fact, beers like Samuel Adams Utopias ($100 btl!) are 25% abv and
created by true brewing. I'll not get into the technical details, but
basically it entails what amounts to force feeding true malt starches
to these specially engineered yeasts while keeping them alive long
enough to do their job. Typically, regular yeast starts dying off at
around 9-12% max (if memory serves). I don't know where the "true
brew" cut off point is, anymore, but I see this 55% stuff is a trick
brewing method whereby they freeze out the water to concentrate the
alcohol. Think Icehouse Plank Road beer.

Technical info/corrections welcome.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 24, 5:34*pm, PL > wrote:
> maxine in ri > wrote in news:83f71817-b697-4bb5-952f-
> :
>
> > This one was too good not to sha

> > A small Scottish brewery near the northern port city of Aberdeen is
> > trying to distinguish itself by offering consumers a beer that comes
> > in a bottle made with stuffed animals, dressed in eccentric outfits.

> > BrewDog a self-described maverick brewery says their latest beer, The
> > End of History, is the most shocking and most expensive in the world.
> > Claiming to have brewed the beer to sit at 55% alcohol by volume it is
> > also “the most alcoholic beer known to man.” “It does exist,” said
> > James Watt when asked if news of his brew were fact or fiction....

> >http://www.torontosun.com/news/canad.../14794821.html

> :-)
>
> Subject: Speaking of beer........
> Newsgroups:rec.food.cooking
> Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 15:38:04 +1000
>
> Beer,wrapped in the bodies of dead animals, and 55% strong!!

I was wondering when someone would read the first paragraph instead of
the darned subject line!
Stout in Stoat was the headline on one article.

;-)
maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 24, 6:15*pm, PL > wrote:

> "Made by BrewDog, based in Scotland, the beer is infused with fresh
> juniper
> berries and nettles from the Scottish Highlands and was developed using an
> extreme freezing technique.

So it's basically like a[plejack, which is what doesn't freeze when
you freeze hard cider.

maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> brew" cut off point is, anymore, but I see this 55% stuff is a trick
> brewing method whereby they freeze out the water to concentrate the
> alcohol. Think Icehouse Plank Road beer.

Think applejack. A noxious moderate-alcohol brew
which concentrates acetaldehyde, fusel oil, etc.
while it concentrates the alcohol. Distillation
can be used to avoid these undesirable compounds
because they evaporate at different temperatures.
So, there's a first cut, second cut, etc. A good
distilled alcohol won't have much of these compounds.
Applejack and similarly concentrated alcohols
will retain all of them.