Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Gumbo file' &/or/vs. rootbeer

Sky > wrote in news:4C11E242.5325
@NOsbcglobal.SnPeAtM:

> Since both gumbo file' and rootbeer are derived from sassafras, can

they
> be substituted for each other? I've used the former perhaps once or
> twice and the latter only with vanilla ice cream as a float or solely

as
> a sodapop drink. What and how else do the two have in common
> (whatever!)?
>
> Sky, who's just curious

Hey Sky,

Read this, I hope it answers your question.

> Filé powder
> From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
>
> Filé powder, also called gumbo filé, is a spice made from dried and

ground sassafras leaves. It is used in the making of some types of
gumbo, a Creole and Cajun soup/stew. It is sprinkled sparingly over
gumbo as a seasoning and a thickening agent, giving it a distinctive
flavor and texture. Filé can provide thickening when okra is not in
season.[1]

> Unlike sassafras roots, sassafras leaves do not contain a detectable

amount of safrole.[2] Safrole is toxic to the liver and somewhat
carcinogenic.[3][4]

--
regards,

piedmont (michael)