Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Gumbo file' &/or/vs. rootbeer

"Sky" > wrote in message
> Since both gumbo file' and rootbeer are derived from sassafras, can they
> be substituted for each other? I've used the former perhaps once or
> twice and the latter only with vanilla ice cream as a float or solely as
> a sodapop drink. What and how else do the two have in common
> (whatever!)?
>
> Sky, who's just curious
>
> --
> Ultra Ultimate Kitchen Rule - Use the Timer!
> Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

don't think I'd like that 'little bit o' fizz' in my gumbo (smile). The
only thing I've seen root beer used for (and my recipe calls for a specific
brand - not a store brand) is pulled pork. Boneless pork loin of around 3-4
lbs. and a 16 oz. bottle of root beer in a crock pot until the meat falls
apart.
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/11/2010 7:46 AM, Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> Since both gumbo file' and rootbeer are derived from sassafras, can they
>> be substituted for each other? I've used the former perhaps once or
>> twice and the latter only with vanilla ice cream as a float or solely as
>> a sodapop drink. What and how else do the two have in common
>> (whatever!)?
>>
>> Sky, who's just curious
>>
>> --
>> Ultra Ultimate Kitchen Rule - Use the Timer!
>> Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

> don't think I'd like that 'little bit o' fizz' in my gumbo (smile). The
> only thing I've seen root beer used for (and my recipe calls for a specific
> brand - not a store brand) is pulled pork. Boneless pork loin of around 3-4
> lbs. and a 16 oz. bottle of root beer in a crock pot until the meat falls
> apart.
> -ginny

I've a friend who swears by his momma's recipe for cooking a ham, pour
Dr. Pepper all over the ham and the cover it with file', bake. I tried a
slice once at his house and nearly threw up. His current wife won't let
him make it as he is the only one who will eat it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
> On 6/11/2010 7:46 AM, Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>> Since both gumbo file' and rootbeer are derived from sassafras, can they
>>> be substituted for each other? I've used the former perhaps once or
>>> twice and the latter only with vanilla ice cream as a float or solely as
>>> a sodapop drink. What and how else do the two have in common
>>> (whatever!)?
>>>
>>> Sky, who's just curious
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ultra Ultimate Kitchen Rule - Use the Timer!
>>> Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

>> don't think I'd like that 'little bit o' fizz' in my gumbo (smile). The
>> only thing I've seen root beer used for (and my recipe calls for a
>> specific
>> brand - not a store brand) is pulled pork. Boneless pork loin of around
>> 3-4
>> lbs. and a 16 oz. bottle of root beer in a crock pot until the meat falls
>> apart.
>> -ginny
>>

> I've a friend who swears by his momma's recipe for cooking a ham, pour Dr.
> Pepper all over the ham and the cover it with file', bake. I tried a slice
> once at his house and nearly threw up. His current wife won't let him make
> it as he is the only one who will eat it.

I gack at the thought of Dr. Pepper, too (smile).
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 09:10:09 -0500, George Shirley wrote:

> On 6/11/2010 7:46 AM, Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>> Since both gumbo file' and rootbeer are derived from sassafras, can they
>>> be substituted for each other? I've used the former perhaps once or
>>> twice and the latter only with vanilla ice cream as a float or solely as
>>> a sodapop drink. What and how else do the two have in common
>>> (whatever!)?
>>>
>>> Sky, who's just curious
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ultra Ultimate Kitchen Rule - Use the Timer!
>>> Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

>> don't think I'd like that 'little bit o' fizz' in my gumbo (smile). The
>> only thing I've seen root beer used for (and my recipe calls for a specific
>> brand - not a store brand) is pulled pork. Boneless pork loin of around 3-4
>> lbs. and a 16 oz. bottle of root beer in a crock pot until the meat falls
>> apart.
>> -ginny
>>

> I've a friend who swears by his momma's recipe for cooking a ham, pour
> Dr. Pepper all over the ham and the cover it with file', bake. I tried a
> slice once at his house and nearly threw up. His current wife won't let
> him make it as he is the only one who will eat it.

his wife won't let him? by god, who wears the apron in his family?!?!

your pal,
blake