PENMART01

Default TACOS

RIB-EYE TACOS WITH ONION JAM AND HORSERADISH CREME FRAICHE

Horseradish crème fraîche
1 cup finely grated peeled fresh horseradish root (about 4 ounces)
1 8-ounce container crème fraîche or sour cream
1/4 cup white wine vinegar Coarse kosher salt

Onion jam
1 1/2 pounds red onions, very thinly sliced
2 cups dry red wine
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar

Tacos
10 7- to 8-inch-diameter flour tortillas, each cut into 5-inch square

2 tablespoons olive oil
4 9- to 10-ounce boneless rib-eye steaks, excess fat trimmed
Fresh cilantro sprigs

For horseradish crème fraîche:
Mix first 3 ingredients in small bowl to blend. Season to taste with kosher
salt. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)

For onion jam:
Combine onions, wine, honey, and thyme in large skillet. Bring to boil. Reduce
heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered until wine is almost absorbed, stirring
occasionally, about 55 minutes. Mix in red wine vinegar. Simmer 10 minutes to
blend flavors, adding water by tablespoonfuls to moisten if jam is dry and
stirring often (onions will still be slightly crunchy). Season to taste with
salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Before
using, rewarm over medium heat until just warm, adding more water by
tablespoonfuls if jam is dry.)

For tacos:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Wrap tortillas in foil, enclosing completely. Place in
oven until heated through, about 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in each of 2 heavy large skillets over
high heat. Add 2 steaks to each skillet and cook to desired doneness, about 3
minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer steaks to cutting board. Thinly
slice steaks crosswise. Divide steak slices among warm tortillas. Top with
onion jam, then spoonful of horseradish crème fraîche. Garnish with cilantro
sprigs.

Market tip: Fresh horseradish root looks like a knottier cousin of the parsnip.
Use a vegetable peeler to peel away the skin, then a box grater, food
processor, or Microplane for grating. If the fresh root is unavailable,
substitute 1/4 cup of prepared horseradish in this recipe.

Makes 10.

Bon Appétit
January 2004
----

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

MisteRogers

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> RIB-EYE TACOS WITH ONION JAM AND HORSERADISH CREME FRAICHE

Plagarized and illegally reproduced.
Stolen from: Bon Appétit Online Magazine.

From:
(PENMART01)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking

John Gaughan

MisteRogers wrote:
> Plagarized and illegally reproduced.
> Stolen from: Bon Appétit Online Magazine.

So what?

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/

Goomba38

MisteRogers wrote:

> "PENMART01" > wrote in message
> > RIB-EYE TACOS WITH ONION JAM AND HORSERADISH CREME FRAICHE
> >

> Plagarized and illegally reproduced.
> Stolen from: Bon Appétit Online Magazine.

How so considering he gave the magazine full credit?
Goomba

hahabogus

John Gaughan > wrote in
:

> MisteRogers wrote:
>> Plagarized and illegally reproduced.
>> Stolen from: Bon Appétit Online Magazine.

> So what?

It might have been illegaly reproduced but since Sheldon left the Bon
Appétit on the bottom it wasn't plagarized.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.

JimLane

Goomba38 wrote:
> MisteRogers wrote:
>

>>"PENMART01" > wrote in message
>>
>>>RIB-EYE TACOS WITH ONION JAM AND HORSERADISH CREME FRAICHE
>>>

>>Plagarized and illegally reproduced.
>>Stolen from: Bon Appétit Online Magazine.

> How so considering he gave the magazine full credit?
> Goomba

Because the recipe is under the magazine's copyright and that calls for
their permission to reproduce anything - especially in its entirety.
Consequently: not plagerized, reproduced illegally.

jim
JimLane

John Gaughan wrote:

> MisteRogers wrote:
>
>> Plagarized and illegally reproduced.
>> Stolen from: Bon Appétit Online Magazine.

> So what?

Ever heard of the US-Russian salami game from the Cold War?

jim
PENMART01

> JimLane garbled:
>
>Goomba38 wrote:
>> MisteRogers wrote:

>>>Plagarized and illegally reproduced.
>>>Stolen from: Bon Appétit Online Magazine.

>> How so considering he gave the magazine full credit?
>> Goomba

>Because the recipe is under the magazine's copyright and that calls for
>their permission to reproduce anything - especially in its entirety.
>Consequently: not plagerized, reproduced illegally.
>

>jim-bob

Individual recipes cannot be copyrighted[period]

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Barry Grau

"MisteRogers" > wrote in message >...
> "PENMART01" > wrote in message
> > RIB-EYE TACOS WITH ONION JAM AND HORSERADISH CREME FRAICHE
> >

> Plagarized and illegally reproduced.
> Stolen from: Bon Appétit Online Magazine.

So you found it necessary to re-post the complete recipe?

-bwg

> From:
(PENMART01)
> Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
> Date: 02 Feb 2004 23:16:04 GMT
> Subject: TACOS
>
> RIB-EYE TACOS WITH ONION JAM AND HORSERADISH CREME FRAICHE

John Gaughan

PENMART01 wrote:
> Individual recipes cannot be copyrighted[period]

I searched through the U.S. code and couldn't find this, but I did find
the section on fair use:

The courts may disagree, but I think reproducing a single recipe is fair
use.

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/

JimLane

PENMART01 wrote:
>>JimLane garbled:
>>
>>Goomba38 wrote:

>>>How so considering he gave the magazine full credit?
>>>Goomba

>>Because the recipe is under the magazine's copyright and that calls for
>>their permission to reproduce anything - especially in its entirety.
>>Consequently: not plagerized, reproduced illegally.
>>

>>jim-bob

> Individual recipes cannot be copyrighted[period]
>
> ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =---
> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> Sheldon
> ````````````
> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

Got a source?

jim
PENMART01

> JimLane

>PENMART01 wrote:
>>>JimLane garbled:

>>>Because the recipe is under the magazine's copyright and that calls for
>>>their permission to reproduce anything - especially in its entirety.
>>>Consequently: not plagerized, reproduced illegally.
>>>

>>>jim-bob

>> Individual recipes cannot be copyrighted[period]
>>

>Got a source?
>
>jim

If you weren't such a pinheaded newbie you'd be capable of doing your own
research...

http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl122.html

"Mere listings of ingredients as in recipes, formulas, compounds or
prescriptions are not subject to copyright protection."

"However, where a recipe or formula is accompanied by substantial literary
expression in the form of an explanation or directions, or when there is a
combination of recipes, as in a cookbook, there may be a basis for copyright
protection."

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

JimLane

PENMART01 wrote:
>>JimLane

>>>Individual recipes cannot be copyrighted[period]
>>>

>>Got a source?
>>
>>jim

> If you weren't such a pinheaded newbie you'd be capable of doing your own
> research...

http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl122.html

> "Mere listings of ingredients as in recipes, formulas, compounds or
> prescriptions are not subject to copyright protection."
>
> "However, where a recipe or formula is accompanied by substantial literary
> expression in the form of an explanation or directions, or when there is a
> combination of recipes, as in a cookbook, there may be a basis for copyright
> protection."
>

> ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =---
> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> Sheldon
> ````````````
> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

The operative word, less than a bright bulb, is "mere," in case that
obvious word went thundering past you without notice. The directions,
however, which were copied verbatim without permission may be the rub.
Then, reading comprehension-challenged one, read the last line you
quoted. This may well fall under that protection.

Fair use is another matter entirely.

jim

Tacos Brooklyn1 General Cooking 0 22-10-2011 04:24 PM
Tacos Andy[_15_] General Cooking 66 17-03-2009 12:36 AM
Breakfast tacos aem General Cooking 15 04-09-2008 03:45 AM
Cod Tacos with Salsa Fawnette Larson Recipes (moderated) 0 12-05-2007 03:31 AM