Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default be warned and be careful

"sf" > wrote in message

> One of our credit card numbers was used by someone else while we were
> out of the country. Fortunately, we check our statements online
> almost daily so we caught it as soon as we returned from vacation. We
> put the card on hold as soon as we discovered the first transaction
> and they attempted to use it two more times in the next 48 hours. All
> purchases were under $300. Looks like we were part of the 5% in this
> article. http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/cc/20000927.asp Fraud is
> part of the reason why credit card rates are so high, they have to pay
> for those forgiven transactions somehow. So do your part - check your
> statements and do it often.

Well no. The vendors who accept the card pay the price. The CC companies
are just greedy *******s. That's why rates are high.

> We have decided to dedicate one card to vacations only in the future
> so we can narrow down when, where or how a number was stolen.
> Thinking about this further, it's not a bad idea to dedicate another
> one to internet transactions too.

Next time use American Express travelers checks.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 May 2010 10:35:09 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> >

> Well no. The vendors who accept the card pay the price. The CC companies
> are just greedy *******s. That's why rates are high.

OK, have it your way: fraud is part of the reason why retail prices
are so high.

> > We have decided to dedicate one card to vacations only in the future
> > so we can narrow down when, where or how a number was stolen.
> > Thinking about this further, it's not a bad idea to dedicate another
> > one to internet transactions too.

> Next time use American Express travelers checks.

No thanks. Traveler's checks are passe. We use the ATM for cash and
a card for the big purchases.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 17 May 2010 10:35:09 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> >

>> Well no. The vendors who accept the card pay the price. The CC
>> companies
>> are just greedy *******s. That's why rates are high.

> OK, have it your way: fraud is part of the reason why retail prices
> are so high.

Make up your mind. Is it retail prices or is it interest rates on credit
cards?

>> > We have decided to dedicate one card to vacations only in the future
>> > so we can narrow down when, where or how a number was stolen.
>> > Thinking about this further, it's not a bad idea to dedicate another
>> > one to internet transactions too.

>> Next time use American Express travelers checks.
>>

> No thanks. Traveler's checks are passe. We use the ATM for cash and
> a card for the big purchases.

Karl Malden is rolling over in his grave.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Paul M. Cook" > wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Mon, 17 May 2010 10:35:09 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >

> >> Next time use American Express travelers checks.
> >>

> > No thanks. Traveler's checks are passe. We use the ATM for cash and
> > a card for the big purchases.

> Karl Malden is rolling over in his grave.

There's a reason that they are passe, but I don't know what it is. I
see lots of signs "No traveler's checks accepted".

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dan Abel" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
>
>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> > On Mon, 17 May 2010 10:35:09 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >

>> > No thanks. Traveler's checks are passe. We use the ATM for cash and
>> > a card for the big purchases.

>> Karl Malden is rolling over in his grave.

> There's a reason that they are passe, but I don't know what it is. I
> see lots of signs "No traveler's checks accepted".

Travelers checks are easily counterfeited. I work in admin/accounting tech
support for a small chain of retail stores, and we've gotten several of
them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 May 2010 10:35:09 -0700, Paul M. Cook wrote:

> Next time use American Express travelers checks.

The last time I tried to use AMEX travellers checks it was a bitch.
And that was 6 years ago.

Never again will I do that.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 May 2010 20:20:37 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> On Mon, 17 May 2010 10:35:09 -0700, Paul M. Cook wrote:
>
>> Next time use American Express travelers checks.

> The last time I tried to use AMEX travellers checks it was a bitch.
> And that was 6 years ago.
>
> Never again will I do that.

To elaborate slightly, I was staying at a suite at Hilton Garden Inn
at Pruneridge right next to 99ranch99 and all those Asian
restaurants and shops. So you know me, that's where I did all my
shopping and eating for two weeks. Nobody in that whole complex
accepted travelers checks and I could only cash checks every so
often at the front desk. Even Lucky's/Albertsons wouldn't take them
(but the Duke of Edinburgh would so I ate a lot of fish and chips,
too).

Never again.
-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/17/2010 8:20 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 17 May 2010 10:35:09 -0700, Paul M. Cook wrote:
>

>> Next time use American Express travelers checks.
>>

> The last time I tried to use AMEX travellers checks it was a bitch.
> And that was 6 years ago.
>
> Never again will I do that.
>
> -sw

It has been a couple of decades since I used traveler's checks, they are
too much of a hassle. Businesses do not want to take them, they will
call the manager over because they believe it is counterfeit. The ATM
and credit cards are much easier.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote on Tue, 18 May 2010 15:12:42 -0500:

> On 5/17/2010 8:20 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Mon, 17 May 2010 10:35:09 -0700, Paul M. Cook wrote:
>>
>>> Next time use American Express travelers checks.
>>>

>> The last time I tried to use AMEX travellers checks it was a bitch.
>> And that was 6 years ago.
>>
>> Never again will I do that.
>>
>> -sw
>>

> It has been a couple of decades since I used traveler's
> checks, they are too much of a hassle. Businesses do not want
> to take them, they will call the manager over because they
> believe it is counterfeit. The ATM and credit cards are much
> easier.

I have avoided having a *debit* card tho' I carry two credit cards and
an ATM card and find those sufficient. The *two* credit cards are in
case of nanny banks that decide not to allow some oversea use and don't
bother to tell you.

I remember once equipping myself with Swiss Bank travellers' checks
denominated in Swiss Francs and having trouble using them in Bern!

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 May 2010 16:20:26 -0400, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

> I have avoided having a *debit* card tho' I carry two credit cards and
> an ATM card and find those sufficient. The *two* credit cards are in
> case of nanny banks that decide not to allow some oversea use and don't
> bother to tell you.

What are you talking about? Don't you call the bankcard to let them
know you're going overseas? I know they claim otherwise, but as they
say: discretion is the better part of valor.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote on Tue, 18 May 2010 13:38:51 -0700:

>> I have avoided having a *debit* card tho' I carry two credit
>> cards and an ATM card and find those sufficient. The *two*
>> credit cards are in case of nanny banks that decide not to
>> allow some oversea use and don't bother to tell you.

> What are you talking about? Don't you call the bankcard to
> let them know you're going overseas? I know they claim
> otherwise, but as they say: discretion is the better part of
> valor.

I had been abroad many times and never bothered to inform the bank
without any trouble but I was very annoyed to have one of my cards
refused when buying a rail ticket at Heath Row. I did express my
irritation raher loudly to the bank manager and got a half promise that
they would inform me in advance but I have not tested that yet.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 May 2010 16:20:26 -0400, James Silverton wrote:

> I have avoided having a *debit* card tho' I carry two credit cards and
> an ATM card and find those sufficient.

Uh, an ATM card *is* a debit card.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2010 4:12 PM, Becca wrote:
> On 5/17/2010 8:20 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Mon, 17 May 2010 10:35:09 -0700, Paul M. Cook wrote:
>>
>>> Next time use American Express travelers checks.

>> The last time I tried to use AMEX travellers checks it was a bitch.
>> And that was 6 years ago.
>>
>> Never again will I do that.
>>
>> -sw

> It has been a couple of decades since I used traveler's checks, they are
> too much of a hassle. Businesses do not want to take them, they will
> call the manager over because they believe it is counterfeit. The ATM
> and credit cards are much easier.
>
> Becca

Yes, and good old cash works just fine. I tend to explore the out of the
way places and find bringing along enough cash for dinner or whatever
the adventure is works really well.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 17, 7:20*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Mon, 17 May 2010 10:35:09 -0700, Paul M. Cook wrote:
> > Next time use American Express travelers checks.

> The last time I tried to use AMEX travellers checks it was a bitch.
> And that was 6 years ago.
>
> Never again will I do that.

Traveller's Cheques are an antique method of payment,Steve...outside
of the US about the only place you can cash them is at am AMEX
office...

US banking with it's use of cheques has been archaic for years
compared to Europe, Asia...similar to our archaic and over-priced
telecom infrastructure....

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 May 2010 18:37:24 -0700 (PDT), Gregory Morrow wrote:

> On May 17, 7:20*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
>> On Mon, 17 May 2010 10:35:09 -0700, Paul M. Cook wrote:
>>> Next time use American Express travelers checks.

>> The last time I tried to use AMEX travellers checks it was a bitch.
>> And that was 6 years ago.
>>
>> Never again will I do that.

> Traveller's Cheques are an antique method of payment,Steve...outside
> of the US about the only place you can cash them is at am AMEX
> office...
>
> US banking with it's use of cheques has been archaic for years
> compared to Europe, Asia...similar to our archaic and over-priced
> telecom infrastructure....

Damn. I thought the sex ch8ange went so bad that you killed
yourself. So I naturally took you out of the killfile.

How did it turn out? How long before you can have anything bigger
than a pickle?

=sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 May 2010 11:58:27 +0100, Janet Baraclough wrote:

> The message
> >
> from Gregory Morrow > contains these words:
>
>> Traveller's Cheques are an antique method of payment,Steve...outside
>> of the US about the only place you can cash them is at am AMEX
>> office...

> Rubbish! . American Express traveller cheques can be cashed in banks and
> hotels worldwide; in any street exchange bureau,
> and (in my personal experience) by many small traders. Every UK bank
> issues them to travelling customers on request; in a choice of
> currencies. Depending on destination I very often get them in US dollars.
>
> http://www.americanexpress.com/uk/tc/index.shtml

You seem to not believe the experiences of others here. I know many
places don't accept American Express Cards. Including the Olympics,
which take place all over the world and who's in-person audience is
90% tourists.

At least that's what the Visa ads claim. Kinda like using your
website as an authority as well.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote on Sat, 22 May 2010 16:16:24 +0100:

>> On Wed, 19 May 2010 11:58:27 +0100, Janet Baraclough wrote:

> >> The message
> >>
> >> ups.com> from Gregory Morrow >
> >> contains these words:

> >> Rubbish! . American Express traveller cheques can be cashed
> >> in banks and hotels worldwide; in any street exchange
> >> bureau, and (in my personal experience) by many small
> >> traders. Every UK bank issues them to travelling customers
> >> on request; in a choice of currencies. Depending on
> >> destination I very often get them in US dollars.
> >>
> >> http://www.americanexpress.com/uk/tc/index.shtml

>> You seem to not believe the experiences of others here. I
>> know many places don't accept American Express Cards.

> DUH. I have said, repeatedly, that BECAUSE travellers
> cannot rely on plastic cards being accepted, that is THE
> REASON for carrying travellers cheques.

And, as I have mentioned, you cannot rely on travelers' checks being
accepted either so, if you are a belt and suspenders person, you will
have both.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Baraclough" > wrote
>> > . Every UK bank
>> > issues them to travelling customers on request; in a choice of
>> > currencies. Depending on destination I very often get them in US
>> > dollars.
>> >
>> > http://www.americanexpress.com/uk/tc/index.shtml

>> You seem to not believe the experiences of others here. I know many
>> places don't accept American Express Cards.

> DUH. I have said, repeatedly, that BECAUSE travellers cannot rely
> on plastic cards being accepted, that is THE REASON for carrying
> travellers cheques.
>
> .
> Janet.

Nothing is accepted worldwide, but I've had good luck using my ATM card at
banks and airports. The exchange rat is better than the currency changers
at airports or in tourist areas. My bank charges 1%.

I've seen people have a difficult time with traveler's checks being
accepted, even at banks. I'm told that some US banks won't allow their
cards to be used in Spain due to the high incidence of fraud there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 May 2010 16:16:24 +0100, Janet Baraclough
> wrote:

> DUH. I have said, repeatedly, that BECAUSE travellers cannot rely
> on plastic cards being accepted, that is THE REASON for carrying
> travellers cheques.

We stopped carrying traveler's checks because they were refused in
places that were rather touristy. It's not worth the bother anymore.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sat, 22 May 2010 16:16:24 +0100, Janet Baraclough
> > wrote:
>
>> DUH. I have said, repeatedly, that BECAUSE travellers cannot rely
>> on plastic cards being accepted, that is THE REASON for carrying
>> travellers cheques.

> We stopped carrying traveler's checks because they were refused in
> places that were rather touristy. It's not worth the bother anymore.

I used TCs on a trip to Europe in 1993, before ATMs. Since we were
planning on visiting France, Germany, Switzerland and Italy, we got them
in French Francs, Deutch Marks Swiss Francs and Italian Lire. We paid
premium exchange rates for them, It wasn't so bad cashing them at banks
in France Germany and Switzerland, but we got royally screwed in Italy,
because they charged a transaction fee per TC. We had made the mistake
of getting them in small denominations. While 10,000 and 20,000 lire
sounds like a lot, there were about 1000 lire to the dollar, so we had
our Italian TCs in $10 and $20 denominations, so a set fee on each one
ended up costing us a lot.

It was Sunday evening when we arrived in Padua, where we had planned to
stay before heading into Venice. There was no place to cash them and the
only restaurants we found nearby would not accept them. So we hopped
back on the train and went to Venice and found place to cash them.

My next trip to Europe was in 1999, by which time we had bank cards and
used ATMs. We got better exchange rates. Since there is a transaction
fee, we withdrew larger amounts less, but less often. I think that we
saved a lot by using the bank card instead of TCs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 18, 7:15*am, Janet Baraclough >
wrote:
> The message >
> from Sqwertz > contains these words:
>
> > On Mon, 17 May 2010 10:35:09 -0700, Paul M. Cook wrote:
> > > Next time use American Express travelers checks.

> > The last time I tried to use AMEX travellers checks it was a bitch.
> > And that was 6 years ago.
> > Never again will I do that.

> *If you travel in more remote backwoods areas, you can't * rely on
> finding a hole in the wall machine, or *traders that accept card
> payments; but almost any
> tiny bar, garage or bazaar trader will cash an American Express TC (or
> find someone who will) . I've used them all over the world and never had
> a problem.
>
> * *Janet

Around here, fake traveler;s checks have gotten so bad that we cannot
accept them without management approval, And any over $20 must be
called in and verified before accepting them. That is at a large chain
grocery store in a big city. We are pickier about those than regular
personal checks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 19, 6:11*am, Janet Baraclough >
wrote:
> The message >
> from " > contains
> these words:
>

> > On May 18, 7:15*am, Janet Baraclough >
> > wrote:
> > > The message >
> > > from Sqwertz > contains these words:

> > > *If you travel in more remote backwoods areas, you can't * rely on
> > > finding a hole in the wall machine, or *traders that accept card
> > > payments; but almost any
> > > tiny bar, garage or bazaar trader will cash an American Express TC (or
> > > find someone who will) . I've used them all over the world and never had
> > > a problem.

> > > * *Janet

> > Around here, fake traveler;s checks have gotten so bad that we cannot
> > accept them without management approval, And any over $20 must be
> > called in and verified before accepting them. That is at a large chain
> > grocery store in a big city. We are pickier about those than regular
> > personal checks.

> I would never expect a *supermarket in another country to accept TC's in
> payment for goods, any more than I expect them to accept my own bank's
> cheques
> drawn on my personal accounts; or my home currency. *I take American
> Express TC's in smallish denominations *to cash them in for local
> currency, and (IME) * so many places offer that service it has never
> been a problem.

I'm glad for this thread because my wife and son are going on vacation
out of the country, and we need to figure out the most economical way
to exchange currency, and we need to figure it out soon.

> * * Janet

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Food Snob®" > wrote in message

> I'm glad for this thread because my wife and son are going on vacation
> out of the country, and we need to figure out the most economical way
> to exchange currency, and we need to figure it out soon.
>>

> --Bryan

Your family is going on vacation *again* without you? Where is it this
time, that the food there doesn't meet your lofty standards and you refuse
to compromise your piousness?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 20, 3:47*am, "Paco" > wrote:
> "Food Snob®" > wrote in message

> > I'm glad for this thread because my wife and son are going on vacation
> > out of the country, and we need to figure out the most economical way
> > to exchange currency, and we need to figure it out soon.

> > --Bryan

> Your family is going on vacation *again* without you? *Where is it this
> time, that the food there doesn't meet your lofty standards and you refuse
> to compromise your piousness?

The weekend at the YMCA camp is what I assume you're referring to, but
this has nothing to do with the reputation that Iceland has for
expensive and not especially appealing food. It's that I would have
trouble enjoying a vacation knowing that I'd have to get on a long
airplane flight at the end of it. I really dislike heights.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 May 2010 04:47:12 -0400, Paco wrote:

> Your family is going on vacation *again* without you? Where is it this
> time, that the food there doesn't meet your lofty standards and you refuse
> to compromise your piousness?

He gets to go camping.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Food Snob® wrote:

> I'm glad for this thread because my wife and son are going on vacation
> out of the country, and we need to figure out the most economical way
> to exchange currency, and we need to figure it out soon.

Zeppo told me that the Capital One card doesn't charge a processing
fee for converting currency when used overseas.

It's a coincidence that I recently switched over to them and I have to
warn you, they gave me an almost comically low credit limit, FWIW.
But it would be enough cash for most any trip expenses.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 May 2010 04:54:54 -0700 (PDT), Food Snob® wrote:

> I'm glad for this thread because my wife and son are going on vacation
> out of the country, and we need to figure out the most economical way
> to exchange currency, and we need to figure it out soon.

Currency rates change. I wouldn't count on the equivalent of 7-11
to know how much about currency rates, or what $20 American is
worth.

Maybe they're good for foreign travel, but using them in the United
States, where they were issued, is a complete PITA.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 May 2010 15:01:33 +0100, Janet Baraclough
> wrote:

> The message >
> from Sqwertz > contains these words:
>
> > On Wed, 19 May 2010 04:54:54 -0700 (PDT), Food Snob® wrote:

> > > I'm glad for this thread because my wife and son are going on vacation
> > > out of the country, and we need to figure out the most economical way
> > > to exchange currency, and we need to figure it out soon.

> > Currency rates change. I wouldn't count on the equivalent of 7-11
> > to know how much about currency rates, or what $20 American is
> > worth.

Everyone has a cell phone now. They'll call their bank if they need
to know the exchange rate and give you the highest one they can get
away with. We ran into that in Turpan, China, at a nontourist bazaar
where locals shop.

> > Maybe they're good for foreign travel, but using them in the United
> > States, where they were issued, is a complete PITA.

> You still haven't grasped how overseas travellers use travellers cheques.
> They are rarely, spent like cash; because very few places will accept
> them like that; only the kind of expensive tourist honey-pot that lists
> prices in five currencies and arranges
> shipping the goods to your home address. You certainly can't spend TC's
> just like currency notes in bars, garages, restaurants, taxis, stations,
> small shops, or supermarkets.
>
> The commonest use, is to trade the TC's for currency notes (at any of
> the many places that openly advertise that service).

Hardly anybody uses traveler's checks anymore. It's easy enough to
find an ATM - even in remote places and if they don't have an ATM,
they probably won't take a traveler's check either. The best thing to
do if you're traveling where there might not be an ATM is to bring
enough cash in the local currency.... and if you're that remote,
running out of cash will not be an issue.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 May 2010 15:01:33 +0100, Janet Baraclough wrote:

> The message >
> from Sqwertz > contains these words:
>
>> On Wed, 19 May 2010 04:54:54 -0700 (PDT), Food Snob® wrote:

>>> I'm glad for this thread because my wife and son are going on vacation
>>> out of the country, and we need to figure out the most economical way
>>> to exchange currency, and we need to figure it out soon.

>> Currency rates change. I wouldn't count on the equivalent of 7-11
>> to know how much about currency rates, or what $20 American is
>> worth.

>> Maybe they're good for foreign travel, but using them in the United
>> States, where they were issued, is a complete PITA.

> You still haven't grasped how overseas travellers use travellers cheques.

You still haven't grasped how everyone is disagreeing with you.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Baraclough" > ha scritto nel messaggio

I take American
> Express TC's in smallish denominations to cash them in for local>
> currency, and (IME) so many places offer that service it has never> been
> a problem.

That has not been my experience in recent years. About 13 years ago I had
so much trouble and took so much time fooling around trying to get banks to
cash them that I never used them again. I use a bank card to get local cash
and it's much cheaper as well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:
> "Janet Baraclough" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>
> I take American
>> Express TC's in smallish denominations to cash them in for local>
>> currency, and (IME) so many places offer that service it has never> been
>> a problem.

> That has not been my experience in recent years. About 13 years ago I had
> so much trouble and took so much time fooling around trying to get banks to
> cash them that I never used them again. I use a bank card to get local cash
> and it's much cheaper as well.

It has probably been over 20 years since I bothered with travelers
checks. Europe has always been years ahead of the US in banking
practices and one could pay bills with a debit card or account there
years before I ever saw it commonly here.
I use my AMEX when traveling and have never had a problem. I never
bother to notify my card companies in advance when going out of the
country, as some suggest.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote on Wed, 19 May 2010 10:15:37 -0400:

> Giusi wrote:
>> "Janet Baraclough" > ha scritto
>> nel messaggio
>>
>> I take American
>>> Express TC's in smallish denominations to cash them in for local>
>>> currency, and (IME) so many places offer that
>>> service it has never> been a problem.

>> That has not been my experience in recent years. About 13
>> years ago I had so much trouble and took so much time fooling
>> around trying to get banks to cash them that I never used
>> them again. I use a bank card to get local cash and it's
>> much cheaper as well.

>It has probably been over 20 years since I bothered with travelers
>checks. Europe has always been years ahead of the US in banking
>practices and one could pay bills with a debit card or account there
>years before I ever saw it commonly here.

I'd question the use of "Europe"; credit cards were in fairly wide use
in the US and France and Italy when in Germany they were the province of
businessmen and businesswomen. As I've said previously, I do not choose
to use a debit card tho' I have used online banking for several years. I
must admit that I was interested when I first saw debit cards in use in
supermarkets in France and I wondered why people were pressing buttons
on little terminals

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Giusi" > wrote in message

> "Janet Baraclough" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>
> I take American
>> Express TC's in smallish denominations to cash them in for local>
>> currency, and (IME) so many places offer that service it has never>
>> been a problem.

> That has not been my experience in recent years. About 13 years ago I had
> so much trouble and took so much time fooling around trying to get banks
> to cash them that I never used them again. I use a bank card to get local
> cash and it's much cheaper as well.

That's been my experience in various parts of Europe as well. I'll never
waste my time with traveler's checks again. Debit/credit cards work
fantastic and they also provide you with a better exchange rate than a bank
will give you for a cash conversion. Really, on a weekend in a not so
large locale, the last thing I want to do is spend my day looking for
someplace to cash in a TC for an unanticipated expense or "gotta have it"
purchase.

Jinx

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Baraclough" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> from "Giusi" > contains these words:
> Which country? Did you try anywhere apart from banks?
>
> I use a bank card to get local cash
>> and it's much cheaper as well.

> That depends on your bank's charges for overseas card use.

France and Italy both. No place would touch them except banks. The banks
made you spend 30 minutes or more guaranteeing who you were and charged an
extraordinary rate. The street exchanges I wouldn't use anyway, as they
give horrible rates even for cash. I wasn't staying in hotels, so I didn't
try paying hotel bills with them.

Your experience is so different from most others that it makes me wonder how
long ago you used them and where.

I purposely have a bank account that pays all bank fees for using an
ATM/bancomat up to $20 per month. I can't buy things using it as a debit
card at Italian stores, but it can be used like a credit card and when I use
it so I get a percentage back. I don't spend a lot of money so it isn't a
large amount, but about $3 a month plus no bank fees for ATM withdrawals is
better than the opposite.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 May 2010 13:36:04 +0100, Janet Baraclough wrote:

> Some of whom have apparently never left the US, travelled outside main
> tourist routes, or expect to spend TC's like cash in a supermarket.
> LOL.

Isn't trying to spend them at a grocery store "off the main tourist
route"?

Get off that high horse and smell the fresh air.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 19, 4:11*am, Janet Baraclough >
wrote:
> The message >
> from " > contains
> these words:
>

> > On May 18, 7:15*am, Janet Baraclough >
> > wrote:
> > > The message >
> > > from Sqwertz > contains these words:

> > > *If you travel in more remote backwoods areas, you can't * rely on
> > > finding a hole in the wall machine, or *traders that accept card
> > > payments; but almost any
> > > tiny bar, garage or bazaar trader will cash an American Express TC (or
> > > find someone who will) . I've used them all over the world and never had
> > > a problem.

> > > * *Janet

> > Around here, fake traveler;s checks have gotten so bad that we cannot
> > accept them without management approval, And any over $20 must be
> > called in and verified before accepting them. That is at a large chain
> > grocery store in a big city. We are pickier about those than regular
> > personal checks.

> I would never expect a *supermarket in another country to accept TC's in
> payment for goods, any more than I expect them to accept my own bank's
> cheques
> drawn on my personal accounts; or my home currency. *I take American
> Express TC's in smallish denominations *to cash them in for local
> currency, and (IME) * so many places offer that service it has never
> been a problem.

True, but my point is that even large chain grocery stores in the USA
do not easily accept American Express traveler's checks.

So, I can't see how they would be great for travel, even in the USA,
let alone in other countries.

One thing a lot of people do is buy a special credit card, pre-loaded
with the amount they choose in the currency they want. Then you have
the money already in the currency. No worries about high transaction
fees, credit card shutting down the card, or people cloning the card
of your regular account.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 May 2010 15:15:27 +0100, Janet Baraclough wrote:

> The message >
> from Sqwertz > contains these words:
>
>> On Mon, 17 May 2010 10:35:09 -0700, Paul M. Cook wrote:

>>> Next time use American Express travelers checks.

>> The last time I tried to use AMEX travellers checks it was a bitch.
>> And that was 6 years ago.

>> Never again will I do that.

> If you travel in more remote backwoods areas, you can't rely on
> finding a hole in the wall machine, or traders that accept card
> payments; but almost any
> tiny bar, garage or bazaar trader will cash an American Express TC (or
> find someone who will) . I've used them all over the world and never had
> a problem.

I find it hard to believe that true, if I couldn't even use them at
2 of California's most popular grocery stores, at least 5 different
restaurants, and get this - I even offered the check cashing places
their usual 1% - and all refused except one did counter my offer
with a mere 7% cashing fee. And these were all in San Jose. So I
wouldn't expect backwoods places to accept them any more than the
city folk.

Like I said, never again. Not for me.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 May 2010 14:40:58 +0100, Janet Baraclough wrote:

> I'm beginning to think there must be a transatlantic word divergence
> at work here.

Or possibly a thick skull.

-sw