Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dinner Tonight

I'm taking the night off from work so I can go to the Castroville Artichoke
Festival tomorrow. Consequently, I had time to cook. This is what I made:

Broiled halloumi, asparagus, and oregano

Spinach salad with white anchovies, hard-boiled egg, navel orange supremes,
and toasted-cumin vinaigrette

Watermelon salad with cucumbers, tomatoes, and champagne vinegar (I intended
to put onions in there, but simply forgot.)

Sweetbreads cooked in a panini grill with sherry-garlic cream

Pan-roasted burdock and cauliflower

Caramelized turnip half-moons with portobello mushroom chunks

Fava beans and fresh garbanzo beans with garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, and
finished with Murray River pink salt

To drink, we had a bottle of Mt. Vernon Winery's "MSG", which is a blend of
mourvèdre, syrah, and grenache. I expected it to be a bit like
Chateauneuf-du-Pape, but it was more acidic than that.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
| I'm taking the night off from work so I can go to the Castroville Artichoke
| Festival tomorrow. Consequently, I had time to cook. This is what I made:
|
| Broiled halloumi, asparagus, and oregano
|
| Spinach salad with white anchovies, hard-boiled egg, navel orange supremes,
| and toasted-cumin vinaigrette
|
| Watermelon salad with cucumbers, tomatoes, and champagne vinegar (I intended
| to put onions in there, but simply forgot.)
|
| Sweetbreads cooked in a panini grill with sherry-garlic cream
|
| Pan-roasted burdock and cauliflower
|
| Caramelized turnip half-moons with portobello mushroom chunks
|
| Fava beans and fresh garbanzo beans with garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, and
| finished with Murray River pink salt
|
| To drink, we had a bottle of Mt. Vernon Winery's "MSG", which is a blend of
| mourvèdre, syrah, and grenache. I expected it to be a bit like
| Chateauneuf-du-Pape, but it was more acidic than that.

Sounds great. I really love halloumi, would be a wonderful match
with asparagus and oregano. And ooohhh the sweetbreads.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 14, 10:33*pm, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> I'm taking the night off from work so I can go to the Castroville Artichoke

*snip Keyboard Cooking

You must be exhausted after all that "cooking".......crack your
knuckles, Champ.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

PVC offered herself to me:

>> I'm taking the night off from work so I can go to the Castroville
>> Artichoke

> *snip Keyboard Cooking
>
> You must be exhausted after all that "cooking".......crack your
> knuckles, Champ.

Well, our dog had awoken me at 3:30 AM the previous night, so I *was* pretty
tired after dinner. And we're hitting the road to Castroville early because
it's a long drive, so I went to bed early and just got up. Thanks for your
solicitation...er... solicitude, I mean. Someday you'll make a violent
fugitive very happy.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Sweetbreads cooked in a panini grill with sherry-garlic cream

What kind of mess does that make?

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>> Sweetbreads cooked in a panini grill with sherry-garlic cream

> What kind of mess does that make?

That was my concern too, as I felt sure the juices from the sweetbreads
would drip all over the place, but the grill on our Krups panini press
is deep. Besides, he said he'd clean up the mess. Lo-and-behold -- no
mess whatsoever, though it did take a little special kitchen-witchery to
clean it. After that, I did ask him to please keep the press for
sandwich things only. That request may or may not stand as we saw a Good
Eats episode where Alton used his panini press on butterflied or
spatchcocked Cornish hens. He's been dying to try it ever since.

The sherry-garlic cream was served as a sauce over the grilled sweetbreads.

The entire meal was mighty tasty.

--Lin
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Barb wrote:

>> Sweetbreads cooked in a panini grill with sherry-garlic cream

> What kind of mess does that make?

I might have communicated poorly the The sweetbreads were soaked in
salted water for several hours, then parboiled and the membranes pulled off.
Then they were brushed with grapeseed oil and cooked in the panini grill.
The sauce was made separately: Sherry was brought to a boil and reduced by
about three quarters, then spring garlic, salt, black pepper, and heavy
cream were added. The sauce simmered for about fifteen minutes, then was
strained. The panini grill didn't get *too* bad.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Barb wrote:
>
> >> Sweetbreads cooked in a panini grill with sherry-garlic cream

> > What kind of mess does that make?

> I might have communicated poorly the The sweetbreads were soaked in
> salted water for several hours, then parboiled and the membranes pulled off.
> Then they were brushed with grapeseed oil and cooked in the panini grill.
> The sauce was made separately: Sherry was brought to a boil and reduced by
> about three quarters, then spring garlic, salt, black pepper, and heavy
> cream were added. The sauce simmered for about fifteen minutes, then was
> strained. The panini grill didn't get *too* bad.
>
> Bob

Okay. I was picturing something else.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Updated 4-24-2010 with food story and pictures
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Barb wrote:

>>> What kind of mess does that make?

>> I might have communicated poorly the The sweetbreads were soaked in
>> salted water for several hours, then parboiled and the membranes pulled
>> off. Then they were brushed with grapeseed oil and cooked in the panini
>> grill. The sauce was made separately: Sherry was brought to a boil and
>> reduced by about three quarters, then spring garlic, salt, black pepper,
>> and heavy cream were added. The sauce simmered for about fifteen minutes,
>> then was strained. The panini grill didn't get *too* bad.
>>

> Okay. I was picturing something else.

When I read your question, I realized that what I wrote might have been
construed as saying that I had put the sweetbreads and sauce in the panini
grill together, which certainly *would* have made a mess. That's why I
clarified.

Bob