Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dungeness Crab & Asparagus Quiche

Hi all,
Thinking this might be tasty- would you add any cheese? If so, what
kind? I'm thinking a very small amount of Guyere...
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On May 5, 3:16 pm, merryb > wrote:
> Hi all,
> Thinking this might be tasty- would you add any cheese? If so, what
> kind? I'm thinking a very small amount of Guyere...

Asparagus and dungie are both great and go well enough together. The
quiche already has some dairy, I'm thinking cheese would detract.
Possible exception, very slight garnish-dusting of parmesan. If I
were going to add something it might be citrus of some kind, or even
ripe bell peppers. No, come to think of it, how about just a little
bit of chopped nuts, probably almonds but maybe cashews? -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On May 5, 3:16*pm, merryb > wrote:
> Hi all,
> *Thinking this might be tasty- would you add any cheese? If so, what
> kind? I'm thinking a very small amount of Guyere...

I would put a little bit of parmesan in the quiche batter, just a bit.
And I would put a light sprinkle of swiss on the top, just a bit....or
the guyere.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 5, 4:07*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
> On May 5, 3:16*pm, merryb > wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> > *Thinking this might be tasty- would you add any cheese? If so, what
> > kind? I'm thinking a very small amount of Guyere...

> I would put a little bit of parmesan in the quiche batter, just a bit.
> And I would put a light sprinkle of swiss on the top, just a bit....or
> the guyere.

For some reason, Parm doesn't sound quite right as much as I love it!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On May 5, 4:11*pm, merryb > wrote:
> On May 5, 4:07*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
>
> > On May 5, 3:16*pm, merryb > wrote:

> > > Hi all,
> > > *Thinking this might be tasty- would you add any cheese? If so, what
> > > kind? I'm thinking a very small amount of Guyere...

> > I would put a little bit of parmesan in the quiche batter, just a bit.
> > And I would put a light sprinkle of swiss on the top, just a bit....or
> > the guyere.

> For some reason, Parm doesn't sound quite right as much as I love it!

If you use just a bit, you don't know it's parmesan and it adds a
wonderful note to the flavor of the quiche, trust me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
merryb > wrote:

> Hi all,
> Thinking this might be tasty- would you add any cheese? If so, what
> kind? I'm thinking a very small amount of Guyere...

Trust me... as much as I love cheese with Asparagus or cheese and
seafood, I'd not add it to this. :-) It will overwhelm the taste of the
combo.

This is plenty flavorful by itself.

Crab Asparagus soup:

Asparagus and Crab Soup

Approx. 5 lbs. tough asparagus stems
(I save them in the freezer until I have
a batch large enough to make soup)

1 lb. fresh shredded crab meat (I usually
use Dungeness but used King Crab this time
as it was on sale)

1 lb. tender asparagus stems
1 stalk celery
1 shallot
1/2 cup dry vermouth
1 sprig of fresh rosemary
6 fresh basil leaves
4 oz. salted butter

Salt to taste

Place asparagus stems into a pot and just cover with water
Add the rosemary sprig (minced) and basil leaves (torn up into small
bits).

Cook until the asparagus stems are turned to mush
(I used a pressure cooker for about 30 minutes)

Strain off stems and herbs, reserving the cooking liquid and run
thru a food mill or mash thru a fine mesh strainer to
get as much puree material that you can while removing
the fiber from the stems.

Add the asparagus mush back to the reserved liquid.

Chop the tender asparagus stems, celery
and shallots, then add back to the pot.
Bring to a brisk boil and reduce by about 1/3rd
stirring as needed to keep it from scorching.
Allow to cool a bit, then puree with a hand blender.

Melt the 4 oz. of butter and add along with the shredded crab meat and
vermouth, garnish as desired and serve hot.

Alternately, chop the tender asparagus, shred the crab and mix them
together as a chunkier entree. Served with Shallots and fresh Basil
cooked together in a pan with butter as a sauce.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:
> Hi all,
> Thinking this might be tasty- would you add any cheese? If so, what
> kind? I'm thinking a very small amount of Guyere...

I make a fresh Dungeness and asparagus quiche once a year to celebrate
the short crab harvest season. I steam the asparagus first and just lay
the whole spears in the bottom. For cheese, my first choice is about a
cup of shredded cojack. If that's not around, my preference is (in this
order) Jack, Swiss/Emmenthaler/Gruyere or medium Cheddar. If you have
extra crab, a crab and Cheddar melt on sourdough toast is pure
indulgence! Chilled California Chablis goes well with either of these.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
whirled peas > wrote:

> merryb wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > Thinking this might be tasty- would you add any cheese? If so, what
> > kind? I'm thinking a very small amount of Guyere...

> I make a fresh Dungeness and asparagus quiche once a year to celebrate
> the short crab harvest season. I steam the asparagus first and just lay
> the whole spears in the bottom. For cheese, my first choice is about a
> cup of shredded cojack. If that's not around, my preference is (in this
> order) Jack, Swiss/Emmenthaler/Gruyere or medium Cheddar. If you have
> extra crab, a crab and Cheddar melt on sourdough toast is pure
> indulgence! Chilled California Chablis goes well with either of these.

Hot crab and butter on a toasted sourdough roll or slice of bread.
Straight up or add a smidge of garlic and lemon...
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet > wrote:

>Hot crab and butter on a toasted sourdough roll or slice of bread.

I concur. I did this last crab season. Except I used olive oil.

Warm crab on toast is decadent. If you have but one chance to
eat Dungeness, it's probably best to have it chilled, but if you're
indulging in it alot, then warm on toast is wonderful for the variety.

IMO.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

merry wrote:

> Thinking this might be tasty- would you add any cheese? If so, what
> kind? I'm thinking a very small amount of Guyere...

This is probably too late, but if I added any cheese at all it would be
cream cheese or mascarpone.

Bob

Dungeness Crab Feast? Bubba[_7_] General Cooking 10 09-09-2008 03:35 AM
Dungeness Crab PastaLover General Cooking 26 19-04-2006 06:13 PM
My dungeness crab sufferred AL General Cooking 6 19-12-2005 10:15 AM
My Dungeness Crab AL General Cooking 13 15-11-2005 08:45 AM
Crab and Asparagus Quiche Duckie ® Recipes 0 10-04-2005 02:43 AM