Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default USDA and Chocolate?

Whatever happened to the petition from the chocolate manufacturers
to allow chocolate to be made without coca butter?

There was a huge uprear here and in some other groups, as well as
newspaper and magazine articles.

Well, I hate to break it to you, but the consumers lost. My bag of
"Ghiradelli Premium Baking Chocolate" [chips] contains no cocoa
butter, only palm oil. And they taste downright terrible. This is
the worst *fake* chocolate I've ever tasted. And now it's been
promoted to "chocolate"? <boggle>

I wish I still lived near Ghiradelli Square. I'd let them know how
I feel.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> Whatever happened to the petition from the chocolate manufacturers
> to allow chocolate to be made without coca butter?
>
> There was a huge uprear here and in some other groups, as well as
> newspaper and magazine articles.
>
> Well, I hate to break it to you, but the consumers lost. My bag of
> "Ghiradelli Premium Baking Chocolate" [chips] contains no cocoa
> butter, only palm oil. And they taste downright terrible. This is
> the worst *fake* chocolate I've ever tasted. And now it's been
> promoted to "chocolate"? <boggle>
>
> I wish I still lived near Ghiradelli Square. I'd let them know how
> I feel.
>
> -sw

Thanks for the warning. I guess I need to scrutinize all
chocolate labels now.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> Whatever happened to the petition from the chocolate manufacturers
> to allow chocolate to be made without coca butter?
>
> There was a huge uprear here and in some other groups, as well as
> newspaper and magazine articles.
>
> Well, I hate to break it to you, but the consumers lost. My bag of
> "Ghiradelli Premium Baking Chocolate" [chips] contains no cocoa
> butter, only palm oil. And they taste downright terrible. This is
> the worst *fake* chocolate I've ever tasted. And now it's been
> promoted to "chocolate"? <boggle>
>
> I wish I still lived near Ghiradelli Square. I'd let them know how
> I feel.
>
> -sw

It's easy enough *not* to buy such rubbish. Read the label and choose
accordingly.

USDA initiative modom (palindrome guy)[_3_] General Cooking 45 15-10-2009 05:43 AM
USDA Fiasco Emma Thackery General Cooking 36 23-02-2007 08:10 AM
USDA book George Shirley Preserving 5 09-12-2006 01:49 AM
new USDA book ellen wickberg Preserving 8 31-10-2006 01:35 PM
Where to buy USDA Prime? Paul & Robin Barrett General Cooking 32 06-01-2006 06:55 AM