Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Classic Home Desserts

On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 10:37:13 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
wrote:

>Glad to hear you found it- it has to be one of my favorite books. I
>used to work in a private club, and we made many a dessert from it...

Who's the author of that book? I am not sure I have it... I don't
think I do...

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 15, 12:48*pm, Christine Dabney > wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 10:37:13 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
> wrote:
>
> >Glad to hear you found it- it has to be one of my favorite books. I
> >used to work in a private club, and we made many a dessert from it...

> Who's the author of that book? *I am not sure I have it... I don't
> think I do...
>
> Christine

Christine, isn't one of us supposed to hold you back when you start
thinking about adding another book to your collection? LOL.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:
> On Apr 15, 12:48 pm, Christine Dabney > wrote:
>> On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 10:37:13 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Glad to hear you found it- it has to be one of my favorite books. I
>>> used to work in a private club, and we made many a dessert from it...

>> Who's the author of that book? I am not sure I have it... I don't
>> think I do...
>>
>> Christine

> Christine, isn't one of us supposed to hold you back when you start
> thinking about adding another book to your collection? LOL.
>
> N.

Heh. I'm so helpful... Go, Christine!

--
Jean B.
Experienced Member

Location: UK

Hello friends

For this monumental collection, Richard Sax devoted more than a decade to searching out and perfecting more than 350 of the world's most beloved desserts, "the ones made at home by mothers and grandmothers rather than by professional pastry chefs." Every uncomplicated homespun classic is he cobblers and crisps, cakes and cookies, puddings and souffles, pies and pastries, ice creams and sauces--nineteen chapters in all. Sax's versions are justifiably legendary among accomplished bakers: Traditional Two-Berry Buckle - Chocolate Cloud Cake - Bon Ton's New Orleans Bread Pudding with Whiskey Sauce - Reuben's Legendary Apple Pancake - Best-Ever Pumpkin Pie - Schrafft's Hot Fudge Sauce. Sidebars with every recipe--profiles of cooks, engaging recollections of favorite desserts, quotations from hundreds of literary works, and excerpts from old recipes--show how sweets are indelibly woven into the texture of our lives.
Richard Sax has contributed to Classic Home Desserts: A Treasury of Heirloom and Contemporary Recipes as an author. Trained as a chef, RICHARD SAX was the founding director of Food & Wine's test kitchen. He was the author or coauthor of nine major cookbooks, cowrote a popular column for "Bon Apptit", and was a regular contributor to many magazines. The recipient of the James Beard Lifetime Achievement Award, Sax died in 1995.

Thanks for all friends
__________________
Caterers London
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ranee at Arabian Knits wrote:
> In article >,
> Christine Dabney > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 10:37:13 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Glad to hear you found it- it has to be one of my favorite books. I
>>> used to work in a private club, and we made many a dessert from it...

>> Who's the author of that book? I am not sure I have it... I don't
>> think I do...

> Richard Sax. It is a great book, everything I've made out of it has
> been good. He does a little too much low-fatting of things, but that's
> easy enough to adjust.

I just saw it (new) on Amazon for...$92? Yikes.
Used from $21.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bon Ton's New
> Orleans Bread Pudding with Whiskey Sauce

I thought Commander's Palace was the definitive New Orleans Bread
Pudding Souffle with Whiskey Sauce recipe.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 15, 7:16*pm, blair > wrote:
> Hello friends
>
> For this monumental collection, Richard Sax devoted more than a decade
> to searching out and perfecting more than 350 of the world's most
> beloved desserts, "the ones made at home by mothers and grandmothers
> rather than by professional pastry chefs." Every uncomplicated homespun
> classic is he cobblers and crisps, cakes and cookies, puddings and
> souffles, pies and pastries, ice creams and sauces--nineteen chapters in
> all. Sax's versions are justifiably legendary among accomplished bakers:
> Traditional Two-Berry Buckle - Chocolate Cloud Cake - Bon Ton's New
> Orleans Bread Pudding with Whiskey Sauce - Reuben's Legendary Apple
> Pancake - Best-Ever Pumpkin Pie - Schrafft's Hot Fudge Sauce. Sidebars
> with every recipe--profiles of cooks, engaging recollections of favorite
> desserts, quotations from hundreds of literary works, and excerpts from
> old recipes--show how sweets are indelibly woven into the texture of our
> lives.
> Richard Sax has contributed to Classic Home Desserts: A Treasury of
> Heirloom and Contemporary Recipes as an author. Trained as a chef,
> RICHARD SAX was the founding director of Food & Wine's test kitchen. He
> was the author or coauthor of nine major cookbooks, cowrote a popular
> column for "Bon Apptit", and was a regular contributor to many
> magazines. The recipient of the James Beard Lifetime Achievement Award,
> Sax died in 1995.
>
> Thanks for all friends
>
> --
> blair

Wow, what great info- thanks! I like to read the side bars- the Alice
B Toklas brownie story
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 16, 11:54*am, Nancy2 > wrote:
> Bon Ton's New
>
> > Orleans Bread Pudding with Whiskey Sauce

> I thought Commander's Palace was the definitive New Orleans Bread
> Pudding Souffle with Whiskey Sauce recipe.
>
> N.

Oooohhhhh - the Commander's Palace one is FABULOUS!! Best bread
pudding I ever had.

Great - now I'm hungry.

Kris