Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ah, white beans and ham hocks

Made a big pot today, and it turned out great. Comfort food in one of its
simpler forms. Of course, I'll pay for it tomorrow, and the dogs probably
won't have anything to do with me for a couple of days.

I'm off to prepare a bed on the couch tonight.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Steve B" > wrote:

> Made a big pot today, and it turned out great. Comfort food in one of its
> simpler forms. Of course, I'll pay for it tomorrow, and the dogs probably
> won't have anything to do with me for a couple of days.
>
> I'm off to prepare a bed on the couch tonight.
>
> Steve

Geeze dude. just take some Beano if they affect you that badly. ;-)

A bottle of Magnesium citrate would speed things up a bit. <eg>
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 30, 10:50*pm, "Steve B" > wrote:
> Made a big pot today, and it turned out great. *Comfort food in one of its
> simpler forms. *Of course, I'll pay for it tomorrow, and the dogs probably
> won't have anything to do with me for a couple of days.
>
> I'm off to prepare a bed on the couch tonight.

My mother and I had an agreement. She would warn me before sho cooked
Great Northern beans, and I would arrange to spend the night
elsewhere. I would go straight to my buddy's house after school. The
one time she forgot, it got ugly. I swear, the smell of those things
makes me angry. I can only imagine how much worse the stench must be
after a trip through your bowels.

> Steve

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 20:50:29 -0700, Steve B wrote:

> Made a big pot today, and it turned out great. Comfort food in one of its
> simpler forms. Of course, I'll pay for it tomorrow, and the dogs probably
> won't have anything to do with me for a couple of days.
>
> I'm off to prepare a bed on the couch tonight.
>
> Steve

be a man, steve! if your spouse equivalent can't stand the farts, *she*
can sleep on the couch!

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 20:50:29 -0700, "Steve B"
> wrote:

>Made a big pot today, and it turned out great. Comfort food in one of its
>simpler forms. Of course, I'll pay for it tomorrow, and the dogs probably
>won't have anything to do with me for a couple of days.

One thing I always look forward to when I have a good Honeybaked ham
in my future (such as this Sunday) is this soup:

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

White Bean And Ham Hock Soup

soups and stews

1 lb dried small white beans such as nav; y or great northern
1 lb smoked ham hocks
1/4 cup bacon drippings (from 1/2 lb bacon); or olive oil
2 cups chopped onion
2 tablespoons minced garlic
4 fresh thyme sprigs
8 cups chicken broth

Soak beans in cold water to cover overnight (8 hours). Drain and rinse
well.

Simmer ham hocks in 6 cups water in a 3-quart saucepan, partially
covered, skimming foam as necessary, 1 hour. Reserve 4 cups cooking
liquid and drain ham hocks. Heat bacon drippings in an 8-quart heavy
pot over moderate heat until hot but not smoking, then cook onion and
garlic, stirring, until softened. Add thyme and cook, stirring, 1
minute. Add soaked beans, broth, ham hocks, and reserved cooking
liquid and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until beans are
tender, about 1 hour. Remove ham hocks and shred meat.
(1# diced tomatoes can be added.)

Contributor: Gourmet November 2000

Yield: 12 servings.

Preparation Time: 1 hr

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

"If the soup had been as warm as the wine,
if the wine had been as old as the turkey,

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"