Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Any tricks/techniques for *low* simmering on gas stoves?

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
>> My question is as per subject heading - are there any tricks to reduce

> the heat further on a gas stove?
> So far I'm stumped... short of increasing the distance between burner and
> pot somehow- ad even then I doubt it would be very effective.
>
> Ideas anyone? Thanks.

I have a Viking gas cooktop, and when I need a less amount of heat (like
when I'm slow cooking rice), I just grab one of the unused cooking grates
and stack on the target burner under the pot.

Quick, cheap & works for me.

Van

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Van wrote:
> > wrote in message
>>> My question is as per subject heading - are there any tricks to reduce

>> the heat further on a gas stove?
>> So far I'm stumped... short of increasing the distance between burner and
>> pot somehow- ad even then I doubt it would be very effective.
>>
>> Ideas anyone? Thanks.
>>

> I have a Viking gas cooktop, and when I need a less amount of heat (like
> when I'm slow cooking rice), I just grab one of the unused cooking grates
> and stack on the target burner under the pot.
>
> Quick, cheap& works for me.

Alas, the grates on my gas stove are in a single piece, so no can do
this technique.
But thanks anyway for the idea!

by those who haven't got it - George Bernard Shaw