Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Any tricks/techniques for *low* simmering on gas stoves?

"Jeßus" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> My question is as per subject heading - are there any tricks to reduce >
> the heat further on a gas stove?
> So far I'm stumped... short of increasing the distance between burner >
> and pot somehow- ad even then I doubt it would be very effective.
>
> Ideas anyone? Thanks.

I use a flame tamer, because polenta scraping is not my idea of a fun
evening.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:
> > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> My question is as per subject heading - are there any tricks to reduce>
>> the heat further on a gas stove?
>> So far I'm stumped... short of increasing the distance between burner>
>> and pot somehow- ad even then I doubt it would be very effective.
>>
>> Ideas anyone? Thanks.

> I use a flame tamer, because polenta scraping is not my idea of a fun
> evening.

Heh. A friend of mine brewed up some kind of booze out of plums
recently. He was silly enough to leave the bottles inside the house.
He's also the type who thought twice as much sugar in the bottles was a
great idea. You can guess the rest, I'm sure.

by those who haven't got it - George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 18:44:07 +1100, Jeßus wrote:

> Giusi wrote:
>> > ha scritto nel messaggio
>>> My question is as per subject heading - are there any tricks to reduce>
>>> the heat further on a gas stove?
>>> So far I'm stumped... short of increasing the distance between burner>
>>> and pot somehow- ad even then I doubt it would be very effective.
>>>
>>> Ideas anyone? Thanks.

>> I use a flame tamer, because polenta scraping is not my idea of a fun
>> evening.

> Heh. A friend of mine brewed up some kind of booze out of plums
> recently. He was silly enough to leave the bottles inside the house.
> He's also the type who thought twice as much sugar in the bottles was a
> great idea. You can guess the rest, I'm sure.

boom-boom?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

>>> I use a flame tamer, because polenta scraping is not my idea of a fun
>>> evening.

>> Heh. A friend of mine brewed up some kind of booze out of plums
>> recently. He was silly enough to leave the bottles inside the house.
>> He's also the type who thought twice as much sugar in the bottles was a
>> great idea. You can guess the rest, I'm sure.

> boom-boom?

Yep. All over the ceiling. Made a hell of a mess

I've bottled a batch of Ginger Beer on the weekend, usually the g/f
handles the Ginger Beer duties but I wanted to see what mine will come
out like.

While I keep some home brewed bottled beers in the kitchen - the ginger
beer went straight into the shed, due to it's unpredictably explosive
nature! It's apple and pear season here now, so I'll be busy juicing
this week for the approx. 60 Litres I'll need for the Perry and Cider.
Can't wait until it's ready...

by those who haven't got it - George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 13:41:39 +1000, Jeßus wrote:

> blake murphy wrote:

>>> Heh. A friend of mine brewed up some kind of booze out of plums
>>> recently. He was silly enough to leave the bottles inside the house.
>>> He's also the type who thought twice as much sugar in the bottles was a
>>> great idea. You can guess the rest, I'm sure.

>> boom-boom?

> Yep. All over the ceiling. Made a hell of a mess
>
> I've bottled a batch of Ginger Beer on the weekend, usually the g/f
> handles the Ginger Beer duties but I wanted to see what mine will come
> out like.
>
> While I keep some home brewed bottled beers in the kitchen - the ginger
> beer went straight into the shed, due to it's unpredictably explosive
> nature! It's apple and pear season here now, so I'll be busy juicing
> this week for the approx. 60 Litres I'll need for the Perry and Cider.
> Can't wait until it's ready...

good luck, jeeb.

your pal,
blake