Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Poached Salmon redux

Just wanted to let you know how it went....

Found it a lot harder to find a whole salmon than I thought. Luckily an
article in the Thursday Inquirer let me to a new (to me) fish store in the
Mount Airy section of Philly that had some in stock. However, the smallest
they had turned out to be 12 lbs and about 6" too long for my largest pan (a
half-height hotel pan).

I ended up buying a 7 lb. fillet and poaching that. I made a court Bullion
with white wine, water, champagne vinegar, peppercorns, carrots, celery,
onions, salt, whole mustard seed and peppercorns. I poached the salmon for 5
minutes then turned off the heat and just let it cool in the pan. I
decorated it with lemon slices and cukes sliced on the mandolin.

It was really great. I haven't had homemade poached salmon in many years and
this blew any store-bought I've had totally to hell. It was tender and
really flavorful.

The party went really well. Marci's parents were very appreciative.

Its nice to add a new method to the toolbox.

Jon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Zeppo" > wrote in message
> Just wanted to let you know how it went....
>
> Found it a lot harder to find a whole salmon than I thought. Luckily an
> article in the Thursday Inquirer let me to a new (to me) fish store in the
> Mount Airy section of Philly that had some in stock. However, the smallest
> they had turned out to be 12 lbs and about 6" too long for my largest pan
> (a half-height hotel pan).
>
> I ended up buying a 7 lb. fillet and poaching that. I made a court Bullion
> with white wine, water, champagne vinegar, peppercorns, carrots, celery,
> onions, salt, whole mustard seed and peppercorns. I poached the salmon for
> 5 minutes then turned off the heat and just let it cool in the pan. I
> decorated it with lemon slices and cukes sliced on the mandolin.
>
> It was really great. I haven't had homemade poached salmon in many years
> and this blew any store-bought I've had totally to hell. It was tender and
> really flavorful.
>
> The party went really well. Marci's parents were very appreciative.
>
> Its nice to add a new method to the toolbox.
>
> Jon

And thanks to all for the suggestions and help.

Jon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Zeppo" > wrote:

> Just wanted to let you know how it went....
>
> Found it a lot harder to find a whole salmon than I thought. Luckily an
> article in the Thursday Inquirer let me to a new (to me) fish store in the
> Mount Airy section of Philly that had some in stock. However, the smallest
> they had turned out to be 12 lbs and about 6" too long for my largest pan (a
> half-height hotel pan).
>
> I ended up buying a 7 lb. fillet and poaching that. I made a court Bullion
> with white wine, water, champagne vinegar, peppercorns, carrots, celery,
> onions, salt, whole mustard seed and peppercorns. I poached the salmon for 5
> minutes then turned off the heat and just let it cool in the pan. I
> decorated it with lemon slices and cukes sliced on the mandolin.
>
> It was really great. I haven't had homemade poached salmon in many years and
> this blew any store-bought I've had totally to hell. It was tender and
> really flavorful.
>
> The party went really well. Marci's parents were very appreciative.
>
> Its nice to add a new method to the toolbox.
>
> Jon

Sounds delicious! I'm glad it went well for you. :-)
--
Peace! Om

"Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck." --Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 21:16:57 -0400, "Zeppo" >
wrote:

> It was really great. I haven't had homemade poached salmon in many years and
> this blew any store-bought I've had totally to hell. It was tender and
> really flavorful.
>
> The party went really well. Marci's parents were very appreciative.

Terrific! Glad to hear the in-laws liked it too!

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Zeppo" > wrote in message
> Just wanted to let you know how it went....
>
> Found it a lot harder to find a whole salmon than I thought. Luckily an
> article in the Thursday Inquirer let me to a new (to me) fish store in the
> Mount Airy section of Philly that had some in stock. However, the smallest
> they had turned out to be 12 lbs and about 6" too long for my largest pan
> (a half-height hotel pan).
>
> I ended up buying a 7 lb. fillet and poaching that. I made a court Bullion
> with white wine, water, champagne vinegar, peppercorns, carrots, celery,
> onions, salt, whole mustard seed and peppercorns. I poached the salmon for
> 5 minutes then turned off the heat and just let it cool in the pan. I
> decorated it with lemon slices and cukes sliced on the mandolin.
>
> It was really great. I haven't had homemade poached salmon in many years
> and this blew any store-bought I've had totally to hell. It was tender and
> really flavorful.
>
> The party went really well. Marci's parents were very appreciative.
>
> Its nice to add a new method to the toolbox.
>
> Jon

Now, you'll probably buy the next monster sized roaster you see at a yard
sale. Just for that once in a year cooking recipe.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 07:17:38 -0700, "Steve B"
> wrote:

>"Zeppo" > wrote in message
>> Just wanted to let you know how it went....
>>
>> Found it a lot harder to find a whole salmon than I thought. Luckily an
>> article in the Thursday Inquirer let me to a new (to me) fish store in the
>> Mount Airy section of Philly that had some in stock. However, the smallest
>> they had turned out to be 12 lbs and about 6" too long for my largest pan
>> (a half-height hotel pan).
>>
>> I ended up buying a 7 lb. fillet and poaching that. I made a court Bullion
>> with white wine, water, champagne vinegar, peppercorns, carrots, celery,
>> onions, salt, whole mustard seed and peppercorns. I poached the salmon for
>> 5 minutes then turned off the heat and just let it cool in the pan. I
>> decorated it with lemon slices and cukes sliced on the mandolin.
>>
>> It was really great. I haven't had homemade poached salmon in many years
>> and this blew any store-bought I've had totally to hell. It was tender and
>> really flavorful.
>>
>> The party went really well. Marci's parents were very appreciative.
>>
>> Its nice to add a new method to the toolbox.
>>
>> Jon

>Now, you'll probably buy the next monster sized roaster you see at a yard
>sale. Just for that once in a year cooking recipe.

A porcelainized covered oval roaster makes an excellent fish poacher
(you never want to cook fish in aluminum) and can be used to cook many
other things too... everyone should have one, and they cost very
little.

http://www.amazon.com/Granite-Ware-1...=pd_rhf_shvl_1
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
brooklyn1 > wrote:

> >Now, you'll probably buy the next monster sized roaster you see at a yard
> >sale. Just for that once in a year cooking recipe.

> A porcelainized covered oval roaster makes an excellent fish poacher
> (you never want to cook fish in aluminum) and can be used to cook many
> other things too... everyone should have one, and they cost very
> little.

Why not cook fish in Aluminum? Many people have successfully cooked it
in aluminum foil "pouches". Fish is not acidic afaik?
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> brooklyn1 > wrote:
>
>>> Now, you'll probably buy the next monster sized roaster you see at
>>> a yard sale. Just for that once in a year cooking recipe.

>> A porcelainized covered oval roaster makes an excellent fish poacher
>> (you never want to cook fish in aluminum) and can be used to cook
>> many other things too... everyone should have one, and they cost very
>> little.

> Why not cook fish in Aluminum? Many people have successfully cooked
> it in aluminum foil "pouches". Fish is not acidic afaik?

Good salmon-poaching court bouillon usually has white wine and/or something
acidic such as lemon slices...could that be the reason?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Janet" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:

> >> A porcelainized covered oval roaster makes an excellent fish poacher
> >> (you never want to cook fish in aluminum) and can be used to cook
> >> many other things too... everyone should have one, and they cost very
> >> little.

> > Why not cook fish in Aluminum? Many people have successfully cooked
> > it in aluminum foil "pouches". Fish is not acidic afaik?

> Good salmon-poaching court bouillon usually has white wine and/or something
> acidic such as lemon slices...could that be the reason?

That would do it.
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 19:14:30 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> "Janet" > wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:

>> > Why not cook fish in Aluminum? Many people have successfully cooked
>> > it in aluminum foil "pouches". Fish is not acidic afaik?

>> Good salmon-poaching court bouillon usually has white wine and/or something
>> acidic such as lemon slices...could that be the reason?

>That would do it.

Those are extremely minor reasons. Haven't you noticed that pots for
cooking shellfish/esp. lobster are always porcelainized... all seafood
should be cooked in nonreactive cookware. There's good reason why
fish poachers are stainless steel, porcelainized is much superior.
I've already explained the reason, many times... cooking any fish in
aluminum is an excellent test for TIAD... those who don't notice the
taint are afflicted.

Poached Salmon Zeppo[_2_] General Cooking 33 08-04-2010 01:37 AM
Poached or steamed salmon? Andy[_15_] General Cooking 3 12-05-2009 02:58 AM
Rec: Poached Salmon Andrea2 Diabetic 12 18-04-2006 07:12 PM
Foolproof Poached Salmon Betsy Recipes (moderated) 0 04-01-2006 05:35 AM
Foolprooof Poached Salmon [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 02-01-2006 03:25 AM