Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT Ping Wayne

Hi Wayne,

Got a quick question for you... if you don't mind me asking.

I am planning on retiring and moving out of the cold climate into a
all around warmer area. I noticed some nice homes, in my price
range, in the Phoenix area and since I do not know the local, could
you tell me which of these areas you would recommend?

Buckeye Zip Code 85326
El Mirage Zip Code 85326
Laveen Zip Code 85339
Maricopa Zip Code 85138
Peoria
Phoenix Zip codes 85041 & 85043
Queen Creek Zip Code 85242
Sun Tan Vally Zip Codes 85142 & 85143
Suprise
Tolleson Zip Code 85353

Thank you so very much.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-03-21, sandi > wrote:

> I am planning on retiring and moving out of the cold climate into a
> all around warmer area.

You better do some more homework. AZ is a bit more than an "all
around warmer climate". Late Summer temps in the mid 110+ teens are
the norm, not a fluke. I guess this is good if you have poor
circulation and are cold all the time, but if you're like me, it's jes
plain "hot as Hell"! And, "dry heat" be damned. Hot is hot! Get
used to burning your hand touching your own car. I'll take COs cold
Winters to avoid those 100+ Summers anyday.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2010-03-21, sandi > wrote:
>

>> I am planning on retiring and moving out of the cold climate into a
>> all around warmer area.

> You better do some more homework. AZ is a bit more than an "all
> around warmer climate". Late Summer temps in the mid 110+ teens are
> the norm, not a fluke. I guess this is good if you have poor
> circulation and are cold all the time, but if you're like me, it's jes
> plain "hot as Hell"! And, "dry heat" be damned. Hot is hot!

My grandpa lived in Sun City. He would say "But it's a dry heat" and I
would say "Yeah, so is Hell, Grandpa." Blech.

ObFood: and the oranges in the medians in his town were inedible
ornamental varieties. Talk about disappointing!

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21 Mar 2010 15:49:44 GMT, sandi > wrote:

>Hi Wayne,
>
>Got a quick question for you... if you don't mind me asking.
>
>I am planning on retiring and moving out of the cold climate into a
>all around warmer area. I noticed some nice homes, in my price
>range, in the Phoenix area and since I do not know the local, could
>you tell me which of these areas you would recommend?
>
>Buckeye Zip Code 85326
>El Mirage Zip Code 85326
>Laveen Zip Code 85339
>Maricopa Zip Code 85138
>Peoria
>Phoenix Zip codes 85041 & 85043
>Queen Creek Zip Code 85242
>Sun Tan Vally Zip Codes 85142 & 85143
>Suprise
>Tolleson Zip Code 85353
>
>Thank you so very much.

My dad spends winters in Peoria. He misses Chicago but likes it there.
His wife absolutely loves it there but he's about ready this time of
year to get back here.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob > wrote in
:

> On 2010-03-21, sandi > wrote:
>

>> I am planning on retiring and moving out of the cold climate
>> into a all around warmer area.

> You better do some more homework. AZ is a bit more than an
> "all around warmer climate". Late Summer temps in the mid
> 110+ teens are the norm, not a fluke. I guess this is good if
> you have poor circulation and are cold all the time, but if
> you're like me, it's jes plain "hot as Hell"! And, "dry heat"
> be damned. Hot is hot! Get used to burning your hand
> touching your own car. I'll take COs cold Winters to avoid
> those 100+ Summers anyday.
>
> nb

Thanks for the tips but I have lived in the 110+ degree temps
before. And, at the time, with a car that didn't have AC!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss > wrote in

> My dad spends winters in Peoria. He misses Chicago but likes
> it there. His wife absolutely loves it there but he's about
> ready this time of year to get back here.
>
> Lou

Thank you for the information Lou. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

:

>> On 2010-03-21, sandi > wrote:
>>

>>> I am planning on retiring and moving out of the cold climate
>>> into a all around warmer area.

>> You better do some more homework. AZ is a bit more than an
>> "all around warmer climate". Late Summer temps in the mid
>> 110+ teens are the norm, not a fluke. I guess this is good if
>> you have poor circulation and are cold all the time, but if
>> you're like me, it's jes plain "hot as Hell"! And, "dry heat"
>> be damned. Hot is hot! Get used to burning your hand
>> touching your own car. I'll take COs cold Winters to avoid
>> those 100+ Summers anyday.
>>
>> nb

>Thanks for the tips but I have lived in the 110+ degree temps
>before. And, at the time, with a car that didn't have AC!

Doesn't get more disingenuous than "thanks but". If you already know
everything why did you ask??? And making amendments after the fact
makes you a pinhead, no one cares about your shit car... if you find a
better street corner you'll be able to afford a better car.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sandi > wrote:

> Hi Wayne,
>
> Got a quick question for you... if you don't mind me asking.
>
> I am planning on retiring and moving out of the cold climate into a
> all around warmer area. I noticed some nice homes, in my price
> range, in the Phoenix area and since I do not know the local, could
> you tell me which of these areas you would recommend?
>
> Buckeye Zip Code 85326
> El Mirage Zip Code 85326
> Laveen Zip Code 85339
> Maricopa Zip Code 85138
> Peoria
> Phoenix Zip codes 85041 & 85043
> Queen Creek Zip Code 85242
> Sun Tan Vally Zip Codes 85142 & 85143
> Suprise
> Tolleson Zip Code 85353
>
> Thank you so very much.

Recommend for what? Grocery stores? Subscribe to a newspaper for a
couple weeks or contact one to find out the names of the chains and
check their websites for information. Safety? Contact the police
departments for the respective crime stats in any given area (give them
a specific address). Schools? Find out the district and go to its
district offices for info about test scores, etc.

An AZ realtor could probably provide you with the information you're
looking for, or even an Arizona newsgroup. Contact the chambers of
commerce in the cities you're looking at.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright > wrote in

> Buckeye, El Mirage, Laveen, Maricopa, Surprise, and Tolleson
> are in the *far* west valley, and considered remote by many.
> There are definitely many master-planned communities in that
> area, but I personally am not attracted to that general
> location. If you fancy yourself living out in the country,
> though, you will find plenty of it.
>
> Peoria is in the northwest valley and well-developed. If I
> were moving to the west valley, it's certainly an area I would
> consider.
>
> When we first moved to AZ, we bought a home in Queen Creek,
> which is in the southeast valley. The town of Queen Creek is
> quite old, and ten years ago when we moved there, little
> development had begun. The old town is tiny and quaint.
> Unfortunately, ten years ago it was 28 miles to the nearest
> modern shopping areas. We did love living out in the desert,
> however. Fast forward ten years, and now there are numerous
> master-plannned communities and shopping areas and new
> development is still occurring. We drove through there
> recently on our way to the little town of Coolidge and were
> amazed at the progress. We only lived there three years
> because the commute to my job in the north valley was 67 miles
> one way. Having said all that, I would highly recommend the
> area.
>
> San Tan Valley is not that far from Queen Creek, in fact, the
> San Tan Mountains are mostly ajacent to the Queen Creek area.
> Again, I would reccmmend it.
>
> There are also desirable and affordable homes in Glendale
> (near west valley), and in far east Mesa and Apache Junction,
> (far east valley). We live in far east Mesa and are quite
> happy with the choice. Both areas are highly developed with
> plenty of shopping and good freeway access. It's roughly 30
> or so miles to central Phoenix.
>
> HTH, Sandi. Feel free to ask more questions as they occur to
> you. You should plan a week's visit to Phoenix to really
> explore the various options, then go back home and think
> through them. I don't know where you live, but AZ living
> isn't like any other place I've been.

Wayne,

You just made my day. It's been years since I've been through
Phoenix and it was huge then! I can't begin to guess what it is
like now. PHEW!

I do plan to seek out a realtor and come out on a weeks vacation.
(I'm excited.) But, of course, I wanted suggestions from someone
who lives there rather than a realtor suggesting a certain area or
listing.

I'm getting one step closer to making the retirement plunge!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright > wrote in

<snip>

> You're very welcome, Sandi! I should have mentioned that I
> have friends that live in Peoria and in Glendale. Both have
> lovely and affordable homes. Were I inclined to live in the
> west valley, those areas would probably be my targets.

Okay.

> It's funny, when you live in Phoenix you tend to focus on
> either the east valley or west valley and, for the most part,
> stick with it even if you move to a different community. This
> was true in Cleveland, too. It was east side or west side,
> and although you might travel to the other side of town, you'd
> likely not move there.

Denver is a bit like that too.

> When you do come out here, try to take a look in Apache
> Junction and, just beyond it, Gold Canyon. They are a bit
> rural compared to some areas, but also close to shopping.
> They have a charm of their own.

Hmm.... I'll give them a look too. I've been 'window' shopping at
realtor.com and have been impressed with the homes in the Phoenix
area but just didn't know any thing about the areas. Thank you
again, and again and...

Just looking for a warm, nice safe area for a poorish, single old
lady can retire. Location, location, location. <g> And you've
been a great help. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Two other things to consider is that we have many gated communities here in
> all price ranges, so good security. There are also many 55+ communities
> (no kides!), so they're nice and quiet, well-kept, and peaceful to live in.

How could you possibly live without someone playing "Marco Polo" in the
swimming pool?

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 11:27:59 -0600, gloria.p wrote:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> Two other things to consider is that we have many gated communities here in
>> all price ranges, so good security. There are also many 55+ communities
>> (no kides!), so they're nice and quiet, well-kept, and peaceful to live in.
>>

> How could you possibly live without someone playing "Marco Polo" in the
> swimming pool?
>
> gloria p

quietly.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright > wrote in

> Two other things to consider is that we have many gated
> communities here in all price ranges, so good security. There
> are also many 55+ communities (no kides!), so they're nice and
> quiet, well-kept, and peaceful to live in.

Thanks Wayne. Thats a thought.

Ping: Wayne 6-12-10 sf[_9_] General Cooking 5 14-07-2010 05:04 AM
Ping: Wayne sf[_9_] General Cooking 21 11-08-2009 05:43 AM
PING: Wayne, Om, et al. PeterL[_7_] General Cooking 8 02-12-2008 04:08 PM
Ping - Wayne Little Malice[_4_] General Cooking 18 04-11-2007 05:06 AM
PING: Wayne Wayne Boatwright General Cooking 0 08-12-2005 11:18 PM