Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ping: Wayne

My son had to go to Phoenix on business (just got back).... it was
106° outside there! OMG.

How often does your local news do a "cooking" segment about frying an
egg on the sidewalk during the summer?

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 07 Aug 2009 21:19:53 -0700, sf > wrote:

>My son had to go to Phoenix on business (just got back).... it was
>106° outside there! OMG.

Only a 106 in Phoenix? That's a nice summer day. The hot ones are in
the upper 110's range.

--
Zilbandy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 07 Aug 2009 09:19:53p, sf told us...

> My son had to go to Phoenix on business (just got back).... it was
> 106° outside there! OMG.
>
> How often does your local news do a "cooking" segment about frying an
> egg on the sidewalk during the summer?

LOL! 106° cam sometimes seem a relief. For the past two weeks most daily
high temps were between 111° and 114°.

Actually within the last couple of years there was some news item about
frying an egg on the sidewalk. It actually doesn't really work that way.
However, if you leave a cast iron skillet out on the pavement for a few
hours, you can definitely cook an egg in it. If the egg is directly on the
pavement it just gradually dries up, but doesn't really cook.

--
Wayne Boatwright
I went into a McDonald's yesterday and said, 'I'd like some fries.'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 0>,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> LOL! 106° cam sometimes seem a relief. For the past two weeks most daily
> high temps were between 111° and 114°.

All millions of you *do realize* that you'll all die if there is a
twenty four hour blackout starting at dawn in midsummer. Surely they
warn you about that on TV.

leo (from a colder desert)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 07 Aug 2009 21:19:53 -0700, sf wrote:

> My son had to go to Phoenix on business (just got back).... it was
> 106° outside there! OMG.
>
> How often does your local news do a "cooking" segment about frying an
> egg on the sidewalk during the summer?

We've had 48 days above 100F here in Austin so far this summer.
Most days are around 104F.

We DO NOT cook outside to avoid heating up the house. We stay
inside where it's cool. The AC will be on regardless of the status
of the oven.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 07 Aug 2009 11:32:28p, Leonard Blaisdell told us...

> In article 0>,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>

>> LOL! 106° cam sometimes seem a relief. For the past two weeks most
>> daily high temps were between 111° and 114°.

> All millions of you *do realize* that you'll all die if there is a
> twenty four hour blackout starting at dawn in midsummer. Surely they
> warn you about that on TV.
>
> leo (from a colder desert)

During the hot months we move from one air conditioned space to another;
home, car, work, shopping, theaters, indoor recreation, etc.

I honestly don't know how people made their homes here before air
conditioning and espcially before swamp coolers.

--
Wayne Boatwright
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 08 Aug 2009 05:39:48 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>LOL! 106° cam sometimes seem a relief. For the past two weeks most daily
>high temps were between 111° and 114°.

Hey Wayne... were you in Phoenix a few years ago when the record high
for June was 122 degrees?

--
Zilbandy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> During the hot months we move from one air conditioned space to another;
> home, car, work, shopping, theaters, indoor recreation, etc.
>
> I honestly don't know how people made their homes here before air
> conditioning and espcially before swamp coolers.

Seattle hit 103 on July 29. Our home does not have AC. It was brutal.
The cats were miserable. Even our 2-year-old (Luka, the wild and crazy
guy) was sluggish. The SO took the long way home from work so he could
luxuriate in the air-conditioned comfort of his car. There's only so
much you can take off to sleep at night. Fortunately the heat broke
earlier in the week, so we could resume sleeping and I could resume my
bike commuting.

OB Food: It was my turn to "cook" that night, so I made a mango-shrimp
salad. Other than steaming some shrimp, I did not use the stove. There
was no strict recipe, just tossing some shrimp, mango, scallions, red
bell pepper (IIRC), and basil from the garden together.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Fuller"
> OB Food: It was my turn to "cook" that night, so I made a mango-shrimp >
> salad. Other than steaming some shrimp, I did not use the stove. There
> was no strict recipe, just tossing some shrimp, mango, scallions, red >
> bell pepper (IIRC), and basil from the garden together.
>
> Cindy

We had 104°F for almost a month three years ago and nowhere has AC except
some public places. By law the interior temperature can be only 7° C below
the outside, so AC isn't that impressive even in the theater!
We cooked at 5 or 6 AM and ate everything chilled or room temp when mealtime
rolled around. People set up camp beds in the basements, but we all moaned
a bit about the nights. Fortunately in the country the night eventually
does cool by 2 AM and doesn't reheat for at least 6 hours.

This summer I haven't even used a fan yet. It's been into the 90s but I
shut the shutters on the sunny side and with the thick walls it stays
bearable at minimum.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:

> This summer I haven't even used a fan yet. It's been into the 90s
> but I shut the shutters on the sunny side and with the thick walls
> it
> stays bearable at minimum.

We've been having a summer in Maryland that I haven't seen in all my
years in the US. I know you can relate to how humid it usually is
here, Giusi, but it was in the seventies with low humidity until the
last week of July, when it warmed up to the eighties. Yesterday it
was in the seventies again. Today the humidity is still low and is 80
degrees at 4 p.m. US time. For the first time this summer, it's
supposed to be in the nineties early next week then drop back into the
eighties. Unbelievable. I'll take every minute of it. Usually, it's
a sweat box.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy wrote from Sizzling Seattle:

> OB Food: It was my turn to "cook" that night, so I made a mango-shrimp
> salad. Other than steaming some shrimp, I did not use the stove. There
> was no strict recipe, just tossing some shrimp, mango, scallions, red
> bell pepper (IIRC), and basil from the garden together.

That might have been a good night for shrimp seviche.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> I honestly don't know how people made their homes here before air
> conditioning and espcially before swamp coolers.

Swamp coolers are cheap in both cost and electricity and efficient for
about twenty degrees in a dry climate which is perfect for me. Mine's on
now, but I'd be hot if the outside temp was 110. That's where getting
wet comes in. I soak my wife beater shirt under the faucet before I mow
the lawn at 95 degrees.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 08 Aug 2009 09:22:21p, Leonard Blaisdell told us...

> In article > ,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> I honestly don't know how people made their homes here before air
>> conditioning and espcially before swamp coolers.

> Swamp coolers are cheap in both cost and electricity and efficient for
> about twenty degrees in a dry climate which is perfect for me. Mine's on
> now, but I'd be hot if the outside temp was 110. That's where getting
> wet comes in. I soak my wife beater shirt under the faucet before I mow
> the lawn at 95 degrees.
>
> leo

Swamp coolers are indeed a good choice as long as the air is dry. However,
during monsoon here in AZ when the dewpoint rises, a swamp cooler loses
much of its effectiveness and makes everything feel damp. Many people here
have both a swamp cooler and a/c, or a hybrid unit that actually does both,
depending on the need. The swamp cooler for when the air is truly dry and
the a/c for when dehumidification is also required.

I'm not fond of the heat, but our move here from Ohio was in large part to
be rid of living with months of snow, ice, and slush. When the
temnperature begins rising much above 100°, my time spent out of the house
is in transit to work and back, shopping, etc. Otherwise, I stay indoors.
It's much the same as living in Ohio but in reverse. There I avoided
freezing temperatures and enjoyed the summers.

--
Wayne Boatwright
No man in the world has more courage than the man who can stop

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 08 Aug 2009 07:24:15 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Fri 07 Aug 2009 11:32:28p, Leonard Blaisdell told us...
>
>> In article 0>,
>> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>>

>>> LOL! 106° cam sometimes seem a relief. For the past two weeks most
>>> daily high temps were between 111° and 114°.

>> All millions of you *do realize* that you'll all die if there is a
>> twenty four hour blackout starting at dawn in midsummer. Surely they
>> warn you about that on TV.
>>
>> leo (from a colder desert)
>>

>During the hot months we move from one air conditioned space to another;
>home, car, work, shopping, theaters, indoor recreation, etc.
>
>I honestly don't know how people made their homes here before air
>conditioning and espcially before swamp coolers.

Back "in the day" they would soak burlap bags and sheets in water then
hang them in the windows and doorways. It was also very common for
whole families to sleep out under the Cottonwood trees.
This I heard from the "old timers" when I lived in Yuma AZ.

koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 09 Aug 2009 07:46:17a, koko told us...

> On Sat, 08 Aug 2009 07:24:15 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>On Fri 07 Aug 2009 11:32:28p, Leonard Blaisdell told us...

>>> All millions of you *do realize* that you'll all die if there is a
>>> twenty four hour blackout starting at dawn in midsummer. Surely they
>>> warn you about that on TV.
>>>
>>> leo (from a colder desert)
>>>

>>During the hot months we move from one air conditioned space to another;
>>home, car, work, shopping, theaters, indoor recreation, etc.
>>
>>I honestly don't know how people made their homes here before air
>>conditioning and espcially before swamp coolers.

> Back "in the day" they would soak burlap bags and sheets in water then
> hang them in the windows and doorways. It was also very common for
> whole families to sleep out under the Cottonwood trees.
> This I heard from the "old timers" when I lived in Yuma AZ.
>
> koko

I've heard that, too, Koko, and I'm sure it brought some measure of relief.
Of course, back "in the day", almost no one in the entire country had a/c
at home and the general populace was accustomed to dealing with some
measure of hot and often humid summers. It may just have seemed easier to
deal with back then.

One native Arizonan in her 80s told me that her family had a "sleeping
patio" attached to the rear of the house. It had a roof and support
columns around it. They would hang saturated sheets and blankets on all
sides and the family would sleep on the patio. I guess you did what you
had to do.

--
Wayne Boatwright
All happiness depends on a leisurely breakfast. John Gunther

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dora" > wrote in message
> Giusi wrote:
>>
>> This summer I haven't even used a fan yet. It's been into the 90s
>> but I shut the shutters on the sunny side and with the thick walls it
>> stays bearable at minimum.

> We've been having a summer in Maryland that I haven't seen in all my years
> in the US. I know you can relate to how humid it usually is here, Giusi,
> but it was in the seventies with low humidity until the last week of July,
> when it warmed up to the eighties. Yesterday it was in the seventies
> again. Today the humidity is still low and is 80 degrees at 4 p.m. US
> time. For the first time this summer, it's supposed to be in the nineties
> early next week then drop back into the eighties. Unbelievable. I'll
> take every minute of it. Usually, it's a sweat box.

I bet you're changing your tune today, Dora! LOL

Cheryl, another Marylander

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:
> "Dora" > wrote in message
>> Giusi wrote:
>>>
>>> This summer I haven't even used a fan yet. It's been into the 90s
>>> but I shut the shutters on the sunny side and with the thick walls
>>> it stays bearable at minimum.

>> We've been having a summer in Maryland that I haven't seen in all
>> my
>> years in the US. I know you can relate to how humid it usually is
>> here, Giusi, but it was in the seventies with low humidity until
>> the
>> last week of July, when it warmed up to the eighties. Yesterday it
>> was in the seventies again. Today the humidity is still low and is
>> 80 degrees at 4 p.m. US time. For the first time this summer, it's
>> supposed to be in the nineties early next week then drop back into
>> the eighties. Unbelievable. I'll take every minute of it.
>> Usually, it's a sweat box.

> I bet you're changing your tune today, Dora! LOL
>
> Cheryl, another Marylander

Nope! I'm holed up inside in the a/c!! <BG>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Cindy wrote from Sizzling Seattle:
>
> > OB Food: It was my turn to "cook" that night, so I made a mango-shrimp
> > salad. Other than steaming some shrimp, I did not use the stove. There
> > was no strict recipe, just tossing some shrimp, mango, scallions, red
> > bell pepper (IIRC), and basil from the garden together.

> That might have been a good night for shrimp seviche.
>
> Bob

Yes, but the last time I had seviche I got food poisoning. I've been a
bit leery of the stuff since.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dora" ha scritto nel messaggio
> Cheryl wrote:

>>> We've been having a summer in Maryland that I haven't seen in all my>>>
>>> years in the US. I know you can relate to how humid it usually is>>>
>>> here, Giusi, but it was in the seventies with low humidity until >>> the
>>> last week of July, when it warmed up to the eighties. Yesterday it>>>
>>> was in the seventies again. Today the humidity is still low and is>>>
>>> 80 degrees at 4 p.m. US time. For the first time this summer, it's>>>
>>> supposed to be in the nineties early next week then drop back into
>>> the eighties. Unbelievable. I'll take every minute of it.

>> I bet you're changing your tune today, Dora! LOL
>>
>> Cheryl, another Marylander

> Nope! I'm holed up inside in the a/c!! <BG>

I talked to my kid in Bethesda yesterday and she told me she hadn't turned
her AC on at all. She's a toughie, that one.
We both say that this summer is unlike any previous summer we've known. In
Italy we have had humidity and clouds and even rain during months when one
usually sees none of those. This morning I have fog, which I usually see in
October. (In the Alpine part of ITaly probably all of this doesn't apply)
We sit around and wonder if our summer is merely late or if it just isn't
coming this year, and whether the wine will be any good or not.
I remember living near the Chesapeake and having a boat. An August Sunday
might be spent there with the bonus of some crabbing on the pier and then
eating said crabs on newspapers in the back garden. Dripping wet, hot and
very happy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:

> I talked to my kid in Bethesda yesterday and she told me she hadn't
> turned her AC on at all. She's a toughie, that one.
> We both say that this summer is unlike any previous summer we've
> known. In Italy we have had humidity and clouds and even rain
> during
> months when one usually sees none of those. This morning I have
> fog,
> which I usually see in October. (In the Alpine part of ITaly
> probably all of this doesn't apply) We sit around and wonder if our
> summer is merely late or if it just isn't coming this year, and
> whether the wine will be any good or not. I remember living near the
> Chesapeake and having a boat. An August
> Sunday might be spent there with the bonus of some crabbing on the
> pier and then eating said crabs on newspapers in the back garden.
> Dripping wet, hot and very happy.

That's really strange - you are having the same weird summer that we
are. Summer finally arrived yesterday - typical 90+ degree heat plus
humidity. Today I'm told it's supposed to go over 100. Not my
weather - I wilt.
Yes, we were boaters for over 30 years, lived near the Chesapeake,
loved the lifestyle and I really miss my old life.
C'est la vie. I'll keep my eye on Bethesda for you!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Giusi" > wrote:

> "Dora" ha scritto nel messaggio
> > Cheryl wrote:

> >> I bet you're changing your tune today, Dora! LOL
> >>
> >> Cheryl, another Marylander

> > Nope! I'm holed up inside in the a/c!! <BG>

> I talked to my kid in Bethesda yesterday and she told me she hadn't turned
> her AC on at all. She's a toughie, that one.
> We both say that this summer is unlike any previous summer we've known. In
> Italy we have had humidity and clouds and even rain during months when one
> usually sees none of those. This morning I have fog, which I usually see in
> October. (In the Alpine part of ITaly probably all of this doesn't apply)
> We sit around and wonder if our summer is merely late or if it just isn't
> coming this year, and whether the wine will be any good or not.
> I remember living near the Chesapeake and having a boat. An August Sunday
> might be spent there with the bonus of some crabbing on the pier and then
> eating said crabs on newspapers in the back garden. Dripping wet, hot and
> very happy.

The Seattle drought has finally broken. It started raining as we put
the lamb chops on the grill this evening. All I ask is that it stop
raining before Sunday morning, so I can get dry after I get out of Lake
Washington. (Sunday is the Seattle Danskin Triathlon, the biggest
estrogen-fueled race on the planet.)

We used to enjoy traveling on the Eastern Shore of MD on our way to NJ
when we lived in NC. We always made a point to stop at Harris Crab
House for some crustacean-whacking.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Fuller wrote:

> OB Food: It was my turn to "cook" that night, so I made a mango-shrimp
> salad. Other than steaming some shrimp, I did not use the stove. There
> was no strict recipe, just tossing some shrimp, mango, scallions, red
> bell pepper (IIRC), and basil from the garden together.

I love mango-shrimp salad. Mine has Thai chili sauce in it, usually.

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue is here!
http://42magazine.com

"But here's a handy hint: if your fabulous theory for ending war and
all other human conflict will not survive an online argument with
humourless feminists who are not afraid to throw rape around as an
example, your theory needs work." -- Aqua, alt.polyamory

Ping: Wayne 6-12-10 sf[_9_] General Cooking 5 14-07-2010 05:04 AM
OT Ping Wayne sandi General Cooking 12 03-04-2010 02:33 PM
PING: Wayne, Om, et al. PeterL[_7_] General Cooking 8 02-12-2008 05:08 PM
Ping - Wayne Little Malice[_4_] General Cooking 18 04-11-2007 06:06 AM
PING: Wayne Wayne Boatwright General Cooking 0 09-12-2005 12:18 AM