Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Stinky Sandwich

On 2010-03-17, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> Late this afternoon I built the sandwich. The rye bread slathered with
> mayo on one slice and German whole grain mustard on the other, a layer of
> sliced braunschweiger generously sprinkled with fresh ground pepper and
> followed by slices of limburger. Next a coating of horseradish followed
> by slices of onion, then topped off with crisp lettuce and finally the
> other slice of bread.

> Side note... When I was at college at Georgetown U. back in the 1960s,
> there was a German Biergarten in Georgetown that served such a sandwich
> that left me with an indelible memory. I like to recreate it once in a
> blue moon.

Sounds yummy! If I can get either of the two main ingredients, I'll
make one, too. Here's my favorite alternative to the braunschweiger:

http://www.gourmet-food.com/gourmet-...te-100489.aspx

Bierkaese (beer cheese) is a slightly less pungent, but similar
smelling cheese for the faint of heart. It's difficult to find in all
but the largest metro areas or areas with a large German community.

nb