Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Stinky Sandwich

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
.247...
> I'm keeping my distance from others tonight and tomorrow. :-)
>
> Lately I've been craving braunschweiger, which I don't often have, and
> decided today was the day. I made four stops, first at a local sausage
> company that specializes in making a variety of German meat products.
> There I picked up the braunschweiger and some freshly grated horseradish.
> Next at a local cheese shop for some excellent limburger, and last at the
> German bakery for a loaf of very hearty Jewish rye.

snip

> Wayne Boatwright

I'm glad you were able to construct what you like. I prefer braunschweiger,
catsup and rye or limburger, onion and rye. Can limburger still be
purchased in the US? I thought we closed the only facility that made
limburger. What was the brand that you bought?
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
m...

| "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
| .247...
| > I'm keeping my distance from others tonight and tomorrow. :-)
| >
| > Lately I've been craving braunschweiger, which I don't often have, and
| > decided today was the day. I made four stops, first at a local sausage
| > company that specializes in making a variety of German meat products.
| > There I picked up the braunschweiger and some freshly grated horseradish.
| > Next at a local cheese shop for some excellent limburger, and last at the
| > German bakery for a loaf of very hearty Jewish rye.
| snip
|
| > Wayne Boatwright
| >
| I'm glad you were able to construct what you like. I prefer braunschweiger,
| catsup and rye or limburger, onion and rye. Can limburger still be
| purchased in the US? I thought we closed the only facility that made
| limburger. What was the brand that you bought?
| Janet

Lederkranz is the cheese, Limburger-styled and really better than
Limburger itself, that was discontinued a few decades ago. The
US still makes Limburger:

The last Limburger-producing cheese factory in the United States,
the Chalet Cheese Co-op, is a quaint, Alpine-looking building that
lies on a rise of a dipping country road outside Monroe. This is the
heart of Swiss cheese country, where in the 1920s area factories
produced millions of pounds of limburger a year; indeed, according
to author Jerry Apps in Cheese: The Making of a Wisconsin Tradition
(Amherst Press, 1997), they once produced more Limburger than Swiss
http://wisconsincheesemart.info/Chalet.html

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pavane" > wrote in message

> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> m...
> |
> | "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> | .247...
> | > I'm keeping my distance from others tonight and tomorrow. :-)
> | >
> | > Lately I've been craving braunschweiger, which I don't often have, and
> | > decided today was the day. I made four stops, first at a local
> sausage
> | > company that specializes in making a variety of German meat products.
> | > There I picked up the braunschweiger and some freshly grated
> horseradish.
> | > Next at a local cheese shop for some excellent limburger, and last at
> the
> | > German bakery for a loaf of very hearty Jewish rye.
> | snip
> |
> | > Wayne Boatwright
> | >
> | I'm glad you were able to construct what you like. I prefer
> braunschweiger,
> | catsup and rye or limburger, onion and rye. Can limburger still be
> | purchased in the US? I thought we closed the only facility that made
> | limburger. What was the brand that you bought?
> | Janet
>

> Lederkranz is the cheese, Limburger-styled and really better than
> Limburger itself, that was discontinued a few decades ago. The
> US still makes Limburger:
>
> The last Limburger-producing cheese factory in the United States,
> the Chalet Cheese Co-op, is a quaint, Alpine-looking building that
> lies on a rise of a dipping country road outside Monroe. This is the
> heart of Swiss cheese country, where in the 1920s area factories
> produced millions of pounds of limburger a year; indeed, according
> to author Jerry Apps in Cheese: The Making of a Wisconsin Tradition
> (Amherst Press, 1997), they once produced more Limburger than Swiss
> http://wisconsincheesemart.info/Chalet.html
>
> pavane

My home stomping ground. Thanks
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
5.247...
> On Wed 17 Mar 2010 07:36:20a, Janet Bostwick told us...
>

>> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> .247...
>>> I'm keeping my distance from others tonight and tomorrow. :-)
>>>
>>> Lately I've been craving braunschweiger, which I don't often have, and
>>> decided today was the day. I made four stops, first at a local sausage
>>> company that specializes in making a variety of German meat products.
>>> There I picked up the braunschweiger and some freshly grated
>>> horseradish. Next at a local cheese shop for some excellent limburger,
>>> and last at the German bakery for a loaf of very hearty Jewish rye.

>> snip
>>
>>> Wayne Boatwright
>>>

>> I'm glad you were able to construct what you like. I prefer
>> braunschweiger, catsup and rye or limburger, onion and rye. Can
>> limburger still be purchased in the US? I thought we closed the only
>> facility that made limburger. What was the brand that you bought?
>> Janet

> Janet, it was Country Casle Limberger made by Chalet. AFAIK, Chalet is
> the
> only company in the US still producing limberger. This one is a semi-soft
> sliceable cheese sold in a block. I believe the companies tha produced
> the
> spreadable variety are no longer producing any.

snip

> Wayne Boatwright

I never did care for the spreadable anyway. Thanks for the info.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
5.247...
> On Wed 17 Mar 2010 08:15:41a, Janet Bostwick told us...
>

>> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> 5.247...
>>> On Wed 17 Mar 2010 07:36:20a, Janet Bostwick told us...

> sausage

>>> Janet, it was Country Casle Limberger made by Chalet. AFAIK, Chalet is
>>> the only company in the US still producing limberger. This one is a
>>> semi-soft sliceable cheese sold in a block. I believe the companies tha
>>> produced the spreadable variety are no longer producing any.
>>>

>> snip
>>

>>> Wayne Boatwright
>>>

>> I never did care for the spreadable anyway. Thanks for the info.
>> Janet

> You're welcome. I would sometimes buy the spreadable to eat on crackers,
> but I'd never use it in a sandwich.

> Wayne Boatwright

I could never figure out why my choice of cheese was not welcome on those
warm, March cross-country skiing outings? ;o} Wimps!!
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 17, 10:13*am, "Janet Bostwick" > wrote:
> "pavane" > wrote in message

> > "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> om...
> > |
> > | "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> > 5.247...

> > sausage
> > horseradish.
> > the
> > | snip

> > | I'm glad you were able to construct what you like. *I prefer
> > braunschweiger,
> > | catsup and rye or limburger, onion and rye. *Can limburger still be
> > | purchased in the US? *I thought we closed the only facility that made
> > | limburger. *What was the brand that you bought?
> > | Janet

> > Lederkranz is the cheese, Limburger-styled and really better than
> > Limburger itself, that was discontinued a few decades ago. *The
> > US still makes Limburger:

> > The last Limburger-producing cheese factory in the United States,
> > the Chalet Cheese Co-op, is a quaint, Alpine-looking building that
> > lies on a rise of a dipping country road outside Monroe. This is the
> > heart of Swiss cheese country, where in the 1920s area factories
> > produced millions of pounds of limburger a year; indeed, according
> > to author Jerry Apps in Cheese: The Making of a Wisconsin Tradition
> > (Amherst Press, 1997), they once produced more Limburger than Swiss
> >http://wisconsincheesemart.info/Chalet.html

> > pavane

> My home stomping ground. *Thanks
> Janet

I'm not far from Monroe. The first dog I adopted was picked up as a
stray there.

-J
Posted to rec.food.cooking

With all this talk of stinky cheese........

I got a phone call early one morning.... it was the guys at the local post
office. They wanted me to come down there *NOW* and pick up two parcels that
were addressed to me.

Two cheese orders from my favourite Tassie cheesery, Bruny Cheeses.

In both there was a round of '1792'....... which is affectionately called
"Ponky".

http://www.brunyislandcheese.com.au/cheeses.php

It was wrapped in it's own paper, then again with butchers paper, covered
with an ice pak, and sealed inside a styrofoam container, that had all
openings completely sealed with tape.

Seems the smell was permeating through the styrofoam, and the girls in the
sorting room were quite 'overcome' by it ;-)

But it is one of the smoothest most delicious cheeses you could ever have.
The taste and the smell don't match at all.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Edmund Burke.

Stinky Sandwich Dimitri General Cooking 1 17-03-2010 08:15 PM
Stinky Sandwich Jean B.[_1_] General Cooking 0 17-03-2010 04:41 PM
Stinky Sandwich notbob General Cooking 0 17-03-2010 04:36 PM
Stinky Butter or Stinky Cheese? Dee Randall General Cooking 2 01-05-2006 12:41 AM
What to do w/stinky onions? PickyJaz General Cooking 5 24-01-2006 05:11 AM