Posted to soc.men,rec.food.cooking,soc.women

Default Huge food recall due to salmonella

Hoooo boy, someone is going to the gallows for this

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/HVPCP/

Information current as of noon March 06, 2010
94 entries in list
Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein Containing Products Recall List: Main
Page

Note: This list includes products subject to recall in the United
States since February 2010 related to hydrolyzed vegetable protein
(HVP) paste and powder distributed by Basic Food Flavors, Inc. This
list will be updated with publicly available information as received.
The information is current as of the date indicated. Once included,
recalls will remain listed. If we learn that any information is not
accurate, we will revise the list as soon as possible. When available,
this database also includes photos of recalled products that have been
voluntarily submitted by recalling firms to the FDA to assist the
public in identifying those products that are subject to recall.
Bouillon Products

Herbox

Dip and Dip Mix Products

Concord Foods

De la Casa

Delicioso

Follow Your Heart

Fresh Food Concepts

Great Value

Johnny's Fine Foods

McCormick

Oak Lake Farms

Reser's

Rojo's

T. Marzetti

Dressing and Dressing Mix Products

Follow Your Heart

Reser's

Trader Joe's

Gravy Mix Products

McCormick

Pre-Packaged Meal Products

Follow Your Heart

Prepared Salad Products

Reser's

Snack and Snack Mix Products

CVS

HK Anderson

Hawaiian

National Pretzel Company

President's Choice

Safeway

Sunflower Markets

Soup Mix Products

Castella

Homemade Gourmet

Stuffing Products

McCormick

Short URL: http://con.st/10002943
hydrolyzed vegetable protein
Salmonella In Common Food Additive Leads To Recall Of Pretty Much
Every Food Ever
By Laura Northrup on March 7, 2010 10:00 AM 0 views

(Consumer Reports)

Hydrolyzed vegetable protein is a flavor enhancer, similar in
composition and tastiness to the much-maligned monosodium glutamate,
that is seemingly unavoidable. Thanks to salmonella contamination in
the HVP paste at Basic Food Flavors, Inc. in Las Vegas, the FDA has
recalled every food containing the product, ranging from salty snacks
to salad dressings to soup and gravy mixes. The list of recalled foods
containing the product is still growing, and encompasses familiar
brand names ranging from Walmart's Great Value brand to McCormick to
Trader Joe's. Now we now get to find out exactly how complex our food
supply is and how widely used an additive HVP is.

As of this writing, there are 94 specific products recalled.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 12:33:55 -0500, Jean B. wrote:

> Yup. I like traditional soy products, like tofu, but I am leery of
> all the soy protein-type things, and of overconsumption of soy
> products in general.

They can make the stuff out of most any vegetable, yeast, or dairy.
they are all used for the same thing: Flavor Enhancer.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 13:39:18 -0500, Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:

> I love the whole 'natural flavorings' thing.. I mean, really, if it's so
> natural, why not just tell us what's in it?

Trade secrets. And if they were to spell it out, there would be no
room for anything else on the label. Both "natural" and
"artificial" flavors have very complex chemical names.

-sw