Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default First Lent Friday Dinner

First Friday of Lent. We had a great green salad with candied walnuts and
craisins. Caribbean spice over cod and baked. Came out perfect. Some
killer, pencil thin asparagus. The local Albertson's had it for $.99 a
pound!! Micro waved and covered with a small amount of butter and summer
savory. That is what we call a great dinner.

Dale P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dale P wrote:
> First Friday of Lent. We had a great green salad with candied walnuts
> and craisins. Caribbean spice over cod and baked. Came out perfect.
> Some killer, pencil thin asparagus. The local Albertson's had it for
> $.99 a pound!! Micro waved and covered with a small amount of butter and
> summer savory. That is what we call a great dinner.
>
> Dale P

But.. is it a Lenten worthy meal? I mean, the meal sounds wonderful but
hardly any "denial" or simplicity to free one up to concentrate on
more...um... heavenly ideals, y'know? At least that is my mindset on
Lent. YMMV.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 22:52:19 -0700, Dale P wrote:

> First Friday of Lent. We had a great green salad with candied walnuts and
> craisins. Caribbean spice over cod and baked. Came out perfect. Some
> killer, pencil thin asparagus. The local Albertson's had it for $.99 a
> pound!! Micro waved and covered with a small amount of butter and summer
> savory. That is what we call a great dinner.
>
> Dale P

i thought lent was supposed to make you suffer.

your pal,
beezy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 08:37:40 -0500, Goomba wrote:

> Dale P wrote:
>> First Friday of Lent. We had a great green salad with candied walnuts
>> and craisins. Caribbean spice over cod and baked. Came out perfect.
>> Some killer, pencil thin asparagus. The local Albertson's had it for
>> $.99 a pound!! Micro waved and covered with a small amount of butter and
>> summer savory. That is what we call a great dinner.
>>
>> Dale P

> But.. is it a Lenten worthy meal? I mean, the meal sounds wonderful but
> hardly any "denial" or simplicity to free one up to concentrate on
> more...um... heavenly ideals, y'know? At least that is my mindset on
> Lent. YMMV.

it don't mean a thing if you ain't got that sting.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 20, 9:59*am, blake murphy > wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 22:52:19 -0700, Dale P wrote:
> > First Friday of Lent. *We had a great green salad with candied walnuts and
> > craisins. *Caribbean spice over cod and baked. *Came out perfect. *Some
> > killer, pencil thin asparagus. *The local Albertson's had it for $.99 a
> > pound!! Micro waved and covered with a small amount of butter and summer
> > savory. *That is what we call a great dinner.

> > Dale P

> i thought lent was supposed to make you suffer.
>
> your pal,
> beezy

I think he's just trying to date his post in a new way?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" > wrote in message
> Dale P wrote:
>> First Friday of Lent. We had a great green salad with candied walnuts
>> and craisins. Caribbean spice over cod and baked. Came out perfect.
>> Some killer, pencil thin asparagus. The local Albertson's had it for
>> $.99 a pound!! Micro waved and covered with a small amount of butter and
>> summer savory. That is what we call a great dinner.
>>
>> Dale P

> But.. is it a Lenten worthy meal? I mean, the meal sounds wonderful but
> hardly any "denial" or simplicity to free one up to concentrate on
> more...um... heavenly ideals, y'know? At least that is my mindset on
> Lent. YMMV.

Good point. It seems ironic to me the the local restaurant week (now lasts
two weeks) promotion starts today. We live in Denver, and the promo is that
participating restaurants offer a full meal for two people for $52.80. The
price comes from the fact the the Mile High City is 5280 feet above sea
level. Places like Morton's and Del Frisco are a great deal at that price,
and they put out a very nice meal for the promo. Of course, it is done to
pump up business during what is a very slow time of year. The promotion has
become huge, and reservations to the better places go very fast. We are
going to Oceanaire for promo dinner on Sunday.

Later,
DaleP

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 20, 6:59*am, blake murphy > wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 22:52:19 -0700, Dale P wrote:
> > First Friday of Lent. *We had a great green salad with candied walnuts and
> > craisins. *Caribbean spice over cod and baked. *Came out perfect. *Some
> > killer, pencil thin asparagus. *The local Albertson's had it for $.99 a
> > pound!! Micro waved and covered with a small amount of butter and summer
> > savory. *That is what we call a great dinner.

> > Dale P

> i thought lent was supposed to make you suffer.
>
> your pal,
> beezy

Well...suffer on a full stomach.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 12:11:22 -0800, Ranée at Arabian Knits wrote:

> In article
> >,
> Kalmia > wrote:

>>> i thought lent was supposed to make you suffer.
>>>

> Not exactly. We are to make sacrifice and to eat less than normal,
> which is part of why the all you can eat fish frys annoy me. It is to
> be an identification with the poor, as the Church stands with the poor,
> a sacrifice as penance of a luxury/pleasure and a way to exercise
> self-discipline as a spiritual exercise. A Christian fast always
> implies three things, the physical fast or abstinence from some or all
> foods, prayer/self-examination and alms giving.
>
> Poor people don't necessarily eat bad food, but simple foods and
> inexpensive foods. Many people take the money that they save and use
> that to give to charity, soup kitchens and such.
>
> Regards,
> Ranee @ Arabian Knits

i'm a heathen who was just teasing kalmia a little bit, ranee. her meal
sounded more like a celebration than a deprivation.

your pal,
blake

Cajun Lent Chemo the Clown[_2_] General Cooking 3 24-03-2012 05:49 AM
Lent Dimitri General Cooking 60 10-03-2010 09:19 PM
Friday Dinner (lent) Dimitri General Cooking 0 14-03-2009 03:57 PM
Lunch on the first Friday of Lent at Doña Martha's house Rolly Mexican Cooking 2 12-02-2005 04:24 PM
Lent Arturo Mexican Cooking 2 02-03-2004 05:36 PM