Old 05-03-2010, 06:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Lent

The nice thing about Lent is the expansion of fresh seafood.

Tonight

Butter
Garlic
Shrimp
Lemon juice.

OK maybe a caper or 2.

Parsley garnish

Serve over linguini.

--
Dimitri

Searing

http://kitchenguide.wordpress.com.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Mar 5, 10:26 am, "Dimitri" wrote:
The nice thing about Lent is the expansion of fresh seafood.

Tonight

Butter
Garlic
Shrimp
Lemon juice.

OK maybe a caper or 2.

Parsley garnish

Serve over linguini.

The nice thing about shrimp is the variety of flavors they
accommodate. The above is fiine, but would also be fine with a slice
of ginger to flavor the butter and a few red pepper flakes to spice it
up.

Last time I looked for uncooked frozen shrimp at TJ's they had two
packages. I thought they differed only in size (Jumbo versus Large, I
forget the number counts but they are always clearly marked on the
package at TJ's) and then I noticed that one was from Cambodia, the
other from Mexico. I assumed both were farmed and took the
Mexican.

Who needs Lent? We eat fish or seafood all the time. -aem

Old 05-03-2010, 06:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Dimitri" wrote:

The nice thing about Lent is the expansion of fresh seafood.

Tonight

Butter
Garlic
Shrimp
Lemon juice.

OK maybe a caper or 2.

Parsley garnish

Serve over linguini.

Hmmmm. I wonder if I could sell that here.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Old 05-03-2010, 06:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
,
aem wrote:

Who needs Lent? We eat fish or seafood all the time. -aem

Good. Folks who observe meatless Fridays during Lent are often looking
for meal ideas I think of D's post as a nudge; a "Hey, this is good
and will satisfy meatless Friday requirements." I appreciate his post.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" wrote in message
[...]

Names - Jumbo, large, extra large, etc are meaningless - always look at the
count per pound.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
aem wrote:
On Mar 5, 10:26 am, "Dimitri" wrote:
The nice thing about Lent is the expansion of fresh seafood.

Tonight

Butter
Garlic
Shrimp
Lemon juice.

OK maybe a caper or 2.

Parsley garnish

Serve over linguini.

Who needs Lent? We eat fish or seafood all the time. -aem

Thanks for sharing that. Do you have a recipe?

ObFood, Story Time! Division:

My ex's French-raised maman is not particularly religious, but apparently
thought "Friday fish" was culturally or religiously important enough to do
when he was growing up. She's an awesome cook, but apparently in Manitoba
in the sixties and seventies, "fish" meant canned tuna, canned salmon, and
fish sticks. This is not unsimilar to what I remember from my yoot in
interior California, minus the mountain trout that Dad and Grandpa caught.
Seafood _was_ available for purchase, but would have broken the family
bank. We, however, did not practice fish-on-Friday.

My ex did not want to eat salmon steaks as a result. He had learned the
wonders of smoked salmon (indeed, he used to bring packages home for me
whenever he went to Vancouver to deal with La Migra), but he just wouldn't
eat fresh-cooked salmon, citing the canned stuff he used to get on
Fridays. I told him that it wasn't the same, but he politely declined all
tastes of it at restaurants ... until the day he took me to Chez Panisse
restaurant and, guess what, the one-size-fits-all entree was fresh-caught
salmon fillets. We both cleaned our plates .

Charlotte
(who forebore from teasing, because, yaknow, he took me to CP

Old 05-03-2010, 07:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 5, 2:14*pm, T wrote:
In article ,
says...

In article
,
*aem wrote:

Who needs Lent? *We eat fish or seafood all the time. * *-aem

Good. *Folks who observe meatless Fridays during Lent are often looking
for meal ideas ? I think of D's post as a nudge; a "Hey, this is good
and will satisfy meatless Friday requirements." * I appreciate his post.

I think I'll steak tonight.

My original plan was chile con carne, but DH went and had chili-dogs
for
lunch. It would be risky to feed him chili twice in one day.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 05-03-2010, 07:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Dimitri" wrote:

The nice thing about Lent is the expansion of fresh seafood.

Tonight

Butter
Garlic
Shrimp
Lemon juice.

OK maybe a caper or 2.

Parsley garnish

Serve over linguini.

Sounds good!

The fund raising "fish fry" for Lent signs are appearing around town
here...
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Cajun Lent Chemo the Clown[_2_] General Cooking 3 24-03-2012 05:49 AM
Friday Dinner (lent) Dimitri General Cooking 0 14-03-2009 03:57 PM
Special meals during Lent?? FERRANTE[_3_] General Cooking 14 27-02-2009 09:27 PM
Teas for Lent toci Tea 0 28-02-2006 09:48 AM
Lent Arturo Mexican Cooking 2 02-03-2004 05:36 PM