Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Fat Tuesday

So what's for dinner?

--
Dymphna
Message origin: www.TRAVEL.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 11:29:18 -0600, Dymphna
> wrote:
>
> So what's for dinner?

I'm not catholic. This Tuesday will be like any other Tuesday for me.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 16, 12:29*pm, Dymphna >
wrote:
> So what's for dinner?

A tossed salad with shrimp, avocado and lime vinaigrette.
Whole wheat bread with a little butter scraped across it.
Ice water.

Fat Tuesday is of no consequence to me.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Feb 16, 9:29*am, Dymphna >
wrote:
> So what's for dinner?
>
> --
> Dymphna
> Message origin:www.TRAVEL.com

When I lived in New Orleans, it was walk and snack everywhere on Fat
Tuesday.

Now that I don't live there any more, I don't observe it ....except to
check in on the live web cams every now and then and smile at the
partiers.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Baraclough wrote:
> The message >
> from Dymphna > contains these words:
>

>> So what's for dinner?

> Pancakes with lemon and sugar.
>
> , This is Pancake Tuesday in Britain

In the Pennsylvania Dutch region, this is Fasnacht Day. Fasnachts are
like donuts and they are made to use up any sweets, etc, so they won't
go to waste during Lent.

Depending on who is making them, they can be great... or as bland as
cardboard.

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dymphna" > wrote in message
news

> So what's for dinner?

Pancakes, of course (or shroves, as the kids used to call them). In the
olden days I used to make several kinds but now I settle for one: cornmeal,
oatmeal, Swedish, whatever, as long as there's plenty of butter and Grade B
maple syrup.

And usually sausage.

Even if there's no serious religious significance, it's a good reason to
have something different for dinner!

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 13:44:00 -0500, Kajikit >
wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 10:18:13 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 11:29:18 -0600, Dymphna
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> So what's for dinner?

> >I'm not catholic. This Tuesday will be like any other Tuesday for me.

> Shrove Tuesday isn't just for Catholics... Methodists observe Lent
> too and so do some other churches. I never have though...

Sure there is an observation of Lent, but not the way Catholics do it.
Maundy Thursday was far more important than Shrove Tuesday in the
Congregational church I grew up attending.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dymphna wrote:
> So what's for dinner?

Fat Tuesday? Not around here. We call it Pancake Day. We are having
pancakes and ham steak.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

My husband is missing home (Metairie, Louisiana) lots today. We are
surprising him with a king cake. I was going to make red beans and
rice, but he called and is going to bring home dinner from The
Depeaux.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 16, 10:29*am, Janet Baraclough >
wrote:
> The message >
> from Dymphna > contains these words:
>
> > So what's for dinner?

> * *Pancakes with lemon and sugar.
>
> , This is Pancake Tuesday in Britain
>
> * *Janet

Are you sure you're not Andy????

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chemo the Clown" > wrote in message
> On Feb 16, 10:29 am, Janet Baraclough >
> wrote:
>> The message >
>> from Dymphna > contains these
>> words:
>>
>> > So what's for dinner?

>> Pancakes with lemon and sugar.
>>
>> , This is Pancake Tuesday in Britain
>>
>> Janet

> Are you sure you're not Andy????

LOL

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Leppla wrote:

> In the Pennsylvania Dutch region, this is Fasnacht Day. Fasnachts are
> like donuts and they are made to use up any sweets, etc, so they won't
> go to waste during Lent.

My Mom made faschnacht kiegels that were like deep fried bow tie donuts
with a powdered sugar dusting. Delicious. I never did learn there was
a religious origin until you taught me this. Thanks!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Freyburger wrote:
> George Leppla wrote:
>> In the Pennsylvania Dutch region, this is Fasnacht Day. Fasnachts are
>> like donuts and they are made to use up any sweets, etc, so they won't
>> go to waste during Lent.

> My Mom made faschnacht kiegels that were like deep fried bow tie donuts
> with a powdered sugar dusting. Delicious. I never did learn there was
> a religious origin until you taught me this. Thanks!

You are welcome. The Amish and Mennonite communities in Pennsylvania
make a big deal out of Fasnachts... and I assume the same from other
similar communities through the country.

The easiest way to make a quick Fasnacht is to deep fry tube biscuits...
then dip in powdered sugar.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tara wrote:
> My husband is missing home (Metairie, Louisiana) lots today. We are
> surprising him with a king cake. I was going to make red beans and
> rice, but he called and is going to bring home dinner from The
> Depeaux.

King Cake! We had one last week. I'm not supposed to be eating
anything with wheat flour in it but I went off the wagon for the King
Cake... and I have been paying for it.

It was really good, though!

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 15:45:47 -0600, George Leppla
> wrote:

>Tara wrote:
>> My husband is missing home (Metairie, Louisiana) lots today. We are
>> surprising him with a king cake. I was going to make red beans and
>> rice, but he called and is going to bring home dinner from The
>> Depeaux.

>King Cake! We had one last week. I'm not supposed to be eating
>anything with wheat flour in it but I went off the wagon for the King
>Cake... and I have been paying for it.
>
>It was really good, though!

Hard on the body ... good for the soul!

Tara

Posted to rec.food.cooking

When I was a kid, we always had pancakes on Fat Tuesday. We were not
Catholic, but it seemed like everyone else who lived in southern
Louisiana, was. I continued the tradition, and my kids really enjoyed
having pancakes for dinner.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dymphna wrote:
> So what's for dinner?

I'm making black bean soup with ham and veggies. Also, roasting some
other veggies (cauliflower, leeks, and radishes, which I've never had
cooked, but thought I'd try after the cooked-radish thread here).

Serene
--
"Basic principles of the Universe, oo. Do tell. Quantum mechanics?"
"You cannot know simultaneously where you are in a relationship *and*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Dymphna > wrote:

>So what's for dinner?

Soup with a lot of different kinds of tasty, tasty meat! I'm not stopping
eating it for Lent but it seems like a good thing to do.

I considered making pancakes today, but had my Butter and Eggs quota in
the browned butter jam bars, which I finished off.

Charlotte
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> The office at the Diocese of Phoenix where David works is serving homemade
> jambalaya. He will be bringing me some home for dinner. Since he doesn't
> eat it, he'll probably have a burger.

He can eat a burger, suck cock, take it up the ass, but not eat
jambalaya? ok whatever faggots!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kajikit" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 10:18:13 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 11:29:18 -0600, Dymphna
> wrote:
>>>
>>> So what's for dinner?

>>I'm not catholic. This Tuesday will be like any other Tuesday for me.

> Shrove Tuesday isn't just for Catholics... Methodists observe Lent
> too and so do some other churches. I never have though...
> --

Tell that to my Methodist parents and grandparents (oh, sorry, they're
deceased). I never heard of Methodists observing Lent. But then we weren't
a religious household.

Tuesday I made baked chicken thighs & steamed broccoli. Definitely not
something I would call a "traditional" Lenten meal.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
On Feb 16, 12:29 pm, Dymphna >
wrote:
> So what's for dinner?

A tossed salad with shrimp, avocado and lime vinaigrette.
Whole wheat bread with a little butter scraped across it.
Ice water.

Fat Tuesday is of no consequence to me.

Cindy Hamilton

Ditto, Cindy. I baked some chicken and steamed broccoli. But the date
mattered not in the grand scheme of things.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tara" > wrote in message
> My husband is missing home (Metairie, Louisiana) lots today. We are
> surprising him with a king cake. I was going to make red beans and
> rice, but he called and is going to bring home dinner from The
> Depeaux.
>
> Tara

A woman at work had a King Cake delivered via FedEx. Yeah, yeah, Mardis
Gras. It's a danish ring filled with (in this instance) strawberry jam and
has a sort of ganache on top, sprinkled with tinted granualted red, green
and gold sugar crystals. Sorry, but that simply doesn't appeal to me.
Sugar on top of sugar on top of sweet/

I'd rather just have the red beans and rice

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> "Tara" > wrote in message
>> My husband is missing home (Metairie, Louisiana) lots today. We are
>> surprising him with a king cake. I was going to make red beans and
>> rice, but he called and is going to bring home dinner from The
>> Depeaux.
>>
>> Tara

> A woman at work had a King Cake delivered via FedEx. Yeah, yeah, Mardis
> Gras. It's a danish ring filled with (in this instance) strawberry jam
> and has a sort of ganache on top, sprinkled with tinted granualted red,
> green and gold sugar crystals. Sorry, but that simply doesn't appeal to
> me. Sugar on top of sugar on top of sweet/

The theory is that you use up all the sweets and goodies that you are
not going to eat for Lent. There are a lot of different styles of King
Cakes.... my favorite is filled with a Bavarian style cream. Yep..
absolutely loaded with sugar, carbs, calories, fat and all the other
good things that you aren't supposed to eat. Maybe that is why the King
Cake Season is so short!

> I'd rather just have the red beans and rice

With a cup of good Gumbo on the side.... and maybe a piece or two of
catfish. Start it off with some fresh oysters on the half shell and end
it with some bread pudding..... and you get a glimpse into one of the
reasons I love living in Louisiana.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 17, 6:14*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> "Kajikit" > wrote in message

> > On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 10:18:13 -0800, sf > wrote:

> >>I'm not catholic. *This Tuesday will be like any other Tuesday for me..

> > Shrove Tuesday isn't just for Catholics... Methodists *observe Lent
> > too and so do some other churches. I never have though...
> > --

> Tell that to my Methodist parents and grandparents (oh, sorry, they're
> deceased). *I never heard of Methodists observing Lent. *But then we weren't
> a religious household.
>
> Tuesday I made baked chicken thighs & steamed broccoli. *Definitely not
> something I would call a "traditional" Lenten meal.
>
> Jill

I suppose I should have saved the shrimp for Friday. I was raised by
people
who had no use for organized religion, although for mainly social
reasons I
had a Lutheran godmother. She saw to it I attended Sunday school,
which
didn't hurt me a bit. I still turned out atheist.

I only ate about half of the shrimp that I cooked and half of an
avocado, so
it'll be the same thing for dinner tonight. It was quite good, and
I'm looking
forward to a rerun.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mardi Gras, Mercredi Blah!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dymphna" > wrote in message
news

> So what's for dinner?
>

> --
> Dymphna
> Message origin: www.TRAVEL.com

Last minute change in Plans.

Bacon & Eggs, home fried potatoes w/onion & peppers.
--
Dimitri

Searing

http://kitchenguide.wordpress.com.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 01:26:14 -0800, T > wrote:

>forte-easynews!core-iad-easynews!news-in-02-iad.easynews.com!news.easynews.com!s02-b11.iad!npeersf01.iad.highwinds-media.com!npeer02.iad.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!post02.iad.highwinds-media.com!newsfe10.iad.POSTED!7564ea0f!not-for-mail
> From: T >

Why am I not surprised about highwinds? Seems you have a lot of
socks.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dymphna wrote:

> So what's for dinner?

Lin and I went out for dinner. We split appetizers of fried okra and "Dixie
egg rolls" (egg roll wrappers filled with chicken, andouille, corn, greens,
and cheese). Lin had barbecued beef ribs with a sides of sweet potatoes and
macaroni & cheese. I had shrimp with barbecue sauce, cheesy grits, and
greens. For dessert we split a portion of bread pudding with peaches,
pecans, and bourbon sauce.

I don't believe it's necessary to be Catholic to enjoy Mardi Gras, and I'm
guessing that most of New Orleans would agree!

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy wrote:

> Fat Tuesday is of no consequence to me.

But it's FUN!

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 17, 11:59*pm, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> Cindy wrote:
> > Fat Tuesday is of no consequence to me.

> But it's FUN!
>
> Bob

It's a work day. There's a real limit on how much fun it can be.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> Cindy wrote:
> > Fat Tuesday is of no consequence to me.

> But it's FUN!
>
> Bob

>It's a work day. There's a real limit on how much fun it can be.

Not at Bob's house. But then, every Tuesday is Fat Tuesday at Bob's house.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy wrote:

>>> Fat Tuesday is of no consequence to me.

>> But it's FUN!

> It's a work day. There's a real limit on how much fun it can be.

Heh... There's ALWAYS a limit on how much fun it can be, regardless of
whether it's a work day or not. But I'm not talking about a cyber****-style
"Player's Ball" saturnalia with armies of dead hogs, punchbowls of meth, and
the entire male component of the Second Fleet; I just mean it's fun to
recognize the occasion by having something like gumbo for dinner... maybe
starting off with a cocktail while wearing beads and masks. (I'll admit that
I might be biased on that last part, because Lin makes GORGEOUS Mardi Gras
masks.)

Bob

Fat Tuesday Arri London General Cooking 4 12-03-2011 12:22 AM
Fat Tuesday sf[_9_] General Cooking 26 11-03-2011 11:11 AM
Fat Tuesday Tara General Cooking 0 08-03-2011 11:32 PM
Fat Tuesday Doug Freyburger General Cooking 2 08-03-2011 08:57 PM
Fat Tuesday Dave Smith[_1_] General Cooking 0 08-03-2011 05:59 PM