Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Default Shrimp Bisque

This week's NYTimes food section features a story and recipe for fresh
shrimp bisque that sounds excellent and easy. I might substitute red
pepper flakes for cayenne but that's just a personal bias. And I
definitely will use the immersion blender. If you don't want to go
all the way to the bisque the recipe will tell you how to make the
simplest kind of shrimp stock and you can stop there and use the stock
for risotto or bouillabaise or whatever. Check it out. -aem
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/10/di...tml?ref=dining
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote in message
> This week's NYTimes food section features a story and recipe for fresh
> shrimp bisque that sounds excellent and easy. I might substitute red
> pepper flakes for cayenne but that's just a personal bias. And I
> definitely will use the immersion blender. If you don't want to go
> all the way to the bisque the recipe will tell you how to make the
> simplest kind of shrimp stock and you can stop there and use the stock
> for risotto or bouillabaise or whatever. Check it out. -aem
> http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/10/di...tml?ref=dining

Nice! Thanks for the article. Shrimping is an industry down here; I can
often find it fresh off the docks. It also reminds me of crab bisque and
she-crab soup, which I really need to make when the blue crab come back into
the tidal creeks in the spring/summer

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jill wrote:

> Nice! Thanks for the article. Shrimping is an industry down here; I can
> often find it fresh off the docks. It also reminds me of crab bisque and
> she-crab soup, which I really need to make when the blue crab come back
> into the tidal creeks in the spring/summer

As it happens, I'll be making crab bisque tonight. I don't follow any
particular recipe, but I use the method given in the _Les Halles_ cookbook
to make it, including the rather noisy one of putting the crab parts -
shells and all - into the food processor to extract as much flavor as
possible.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Jill wrote:
>
> > Nice! Thanks for the article. Shrimping is an industry down here; I can
> > often find it fresh off the docks. It also reminds me of crab bisque and
> > she-crab soup, which I really need to make when the blue crab come back
> > into the tidal creeks in the spring/summer

> As it happens, I'll be making crab bisque tonight. I don't follow any
> particular recipe, but I use the method given in the _Les Halles_ cookbook
> to make it, including the rather noisy one of putting the crab parts -
> shells and all - into the food processor to extract as much flavor as
> possible.
>
> Bob

I managed to miss the posted recipe. Guess I'll have to google it. I was
wondering if it'd work with crawfish? It has a stronger flavor than
crab.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Om wrote:

>> As it happens, I'll be making crab bisque tonight. I don't follow any
>> particular recipe, but I use the method given in the _Les Halles_
>> cookbook
>> to make it, including the rather noisy one of putting the crab parts -
>> shells and all - into the food processor to extract as much flavor as
>> possible.

> I managed to miss the posted recipe. Guess I'll have to google it. I was
> wondering if it'd work with crawfish? It has a stronger flavor than
> crab.

Here's what I did for two diners:

Extract big lumps of meat from one or two crab claws (depending on how big
the claws are) and reserve. Cut up remainder of crabs (we had a big
Dungeness crab and a King crab leg) into chunks (including shells).

In a big wide pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add crab chunks and
cook, stirring occasionally, for about a minute. Add a roughly-chopped
onion, two cloves of roughly-chopped garlic, the greens from a large leek
cut up into three-inch lengths, and a roughly-chopped stem of celery. Stir
for about a minute, then shove things over to the side and add two
tablespoons of tomato paste into the bottom of the pan. Cook until tomato
paste turns a rusty color, then stir everything together and cook for
another two minutes or so. Remove from heat, add a couple shots of cognac,
then return pan to heat and stir everything around, scraping the bottom and
side of the pan. (The leek greens can be used as a kind of squeegee to
scrape off the fond.)

Add water to cover, then add a big pinch of thyme, a pinch of saffron, and a
good grinding of pepper. Taste and add salt if needed. Bring to boil, reduce
to simmer, and simmer 45 minutes.

Use tongs to pick out crab chunks and put into food processor. Process to a
kind of "crab sludge." If (like mine) your food processor does not have a
gasket at the top, you might want to wrap something like paper towels around
it to keep from splattering crab goo all over the kitchen. Return crab
sludge to pot. Add cream (I only used about a third of a cup) and more
water. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer, and cook for another 30 minutes.

Strain soup well, pressing down to extract as much liquid as possible. I had
to do the straining in two parts, once through a coarse strainer and once
through a fine strainer. Taste and adjust salt, pepper, or cream to suit
your palate.

Just before serving, bring to boil again. Place reserved crab meat into
bottom of bowls and add soup. Squeeze lemon juice into each bowl of soup and
serve. (We used Bearss limes, which are wondefully fragrant.)

The recipe should work fine for crawfish. Bourdain's recipe is for lobster,
and crawfish are more like lobsters than crabs are. With crawfish I might
use different seasoning than the tomato-thyme-saffron combination, though.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq." > wrote:

> > I managed to miss the posted recipe. Guess I'll have to google it. I was
> > wondering if it'd work with crawfish? It has a stronger flavor than
> > crab.

> Bisque d'Ecrevisses? with brandy and white wine?

Could be interesting... ;-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Here's what I did for two diners:
>
> Extract big lumps of meat from one or two crab claws (depending on how big
> the claws are) and reserve. Cut up remainder of crabs (we had a big
> Dungeness crab and a King crab leg) into chunks (including shells).
>
> In a big wide pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add crab chunks and
> cook, stirring occasionally, for about a minute. Add a roughly-chopped
> onion, two cloves of roughly-chopped garlic, the greens from a large leek
> cut up into three-inch lengths, and a roughly-chopped stem of celery. Stir
> for about a minute, then shove things over to the side and add two
> tablespoons of tomato paste into the bottom of the pan. Cook until tomato
> paste turns a rusty color, then stir everything together and cook for
> another two minutes or so. Remove from heat, add a couple shots of cognac,
> then return pan to heat and stir everything around, scraping the bottom and
> side of the pan. (The leek greens can be used as a kind of squeegee to
> scrape off the fond.)
>
> Add water to cover, then add a big pinch of thyme, a pinch of saffron, and a
> good grinding of pepper. Taste and add salt if needed. Bring to boil, reduce
> to simmer, and simmer 45 minutes.
>
> Use tongs to pick out crab chunks and put into food processor. Process to a
> kind of "crab sludge." If (like mine) your food processor does not have a
> gasket at the top, you might want to wrap something like paper towels around
> it to keep from splattering crab goo all over the kitchen. Return crab
> sludge to pot. Add cream (I only used about a third of a cup) and more
> water. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer, and cook for another 30 minutes.
>
> Strain soup well, pressing down to extract as much liquid as possible. I had
> to do the straining in two parts, once through a coarse strainer and once
> through a fine strainer. Taste and adjust salt, pepper, or cream to suit
> your palate.
>
> Just before serving, bring to boil again. Place reserved crab meat into
> bottom of bowls and add soup. Squeeze lemon juice into each bowl of soup and
> serve. (We used Bearss limes, which are wondefully fragrant.)
>
> The recipe should work fine for crawfish. Bourdain's recipe is for lobster,
> and crawfish are more like lobsters than crabs are. With crawfish I might
> use different seasoning than the tomato-thyme-saffron combination, though.
>
> Bob

Thanks! Recipe saved to file... Shrimp has been cheap lately, and so has
snow crab. I prefer dungeness as available.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe: