Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Binding up crumbly minced food

Mincing up some meat and mixing with breadcrumbs and herbs, I've ended up
with something like a sausage meat.

I would like to bind it all together to make it something like a hamburgher.
( I dont want to use sausage skins to turn it into sausages)

Is there a way to be able to present it as a more presentable food dish
rather than it being all crumbly like it is at present.

I know egg is often used as a food 'binder', but I dont want the taste of
egg in this.

Does anyone know of another kind of food binder I could use, or any another
way to make it more presentable as a food item? Thanks for advice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 12, 7:03*am, "john bently" > wrote:
> Mincing up some meat and mixing with breadcrumbs and herbs, I've ended up
> with something like a sausage meat.
>
> I would like to bind it all together to make it something like a hamburgher.
> ( I dont want to use sausage skins to turn it into sausages)
>
> Is there a way to be able to present it as a more presentable food dish
> rather than it being all crumbly like it is at present.
>
> I know egg is often used as a food 'binder', but I dont want the taste of
> egg in this.
>
> Does anyone know of another kind of food binder I could use, or any another
> way to make it more presentable as a food item? *Thanks for advice.

Egg used as a binder in hamburgers or meatloaf or the like - you will
not taste the egg at all, IMO. You could also use just the whites
which I think wouldn't have as strong a flavor as the yolks. Eggs are
the best binder. You could try ketchup or tomato sauce as an
alternative - I think that might work....

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"john bently" > wrote in message
> Mincing up some meat and mixing with breadcrumbs and herbs, I've ended up
> with something like a sausage meat.
>
> I would like to bind it all together to make it something like a
> hamburgher. ( I dont want to use sausage skins to turn it into sausages)
>
> Is there a way to be able to present it as a more presentable food dish
> rather than it being all crumbly like it is at present.
>
> I know egg is often used as a food 'binder', but I dont want the taste of
> egg in this.
>
> Does anyone know of another kind of food binder I could use, or any
> another way to make it more presentable as a food item? Thanks for
> advice.

You'll never taste the egg - generally 1 egg per pound of ground meat + some
liquid depending on the amount of dry ingredients.

BTW don't forget to mix in all the ingredients.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I don't like eggs so I just mix the ingredients, form into patties using
metal rings and reasonable pressure and then chill before cooking

Steve

On 12/02/2010 14:03, john bently wrote:

> Does anyone know of another kind of food binder I could use, or any another
> way to make it more presentable as a food item? Thanks for advice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 13:03:31 -0000, "john bently"
> wrote:

> Mincing up some meat and mixing with breadcrumbs and herbs, I've ended up
> with something like a sausage meat.
>
> I would like to bind it all together to make it something like a hamburgher.
> ( I dont want to use sausage skins to turn it into sausages)
>
> Is there a way to be able to present it as a more presentable food dish
> rather than it being all crumbly like it is at present.
>
> I know egg is often used as a food 'binder', but I dont want the taste of
> egg in this.
>
> Does anyone know of another kind of food binder I could use, or any another
> way to make it more presentable as a food item? Thanks for advice.

I would suggest a sauce/gravy... but you have bread crumbs too, so egg
is the best I can come up with. How about baking the mixture (with
egg) in the oven? Add some onion and an herb like thyme to it.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"john bently" > wrote:

> Mincing up some meat and mixing with breadcrumbs and herbs, I've ended up
> with something like a sausage meat.
>
> I would like to bind it all together to make it something like a hamburgher.
> ( I dont want to use sausage skins to turn it into sausages)
>
> Is there a way to be able to present it as a more presentable food dish
> rather than it being all crumbly like it is at present.
>
> I know egg is often used as a food 'binder', but I dont want the taste of
> egg in this.
>
> Does anyone know of another kind of food binder I could use, or any another
> way to make it more presentable as a food item? Thanks for advice.

This website has a chart of binders. Last two times I made sausage, I
tried her whey protein powder binder proportions as I was having a
problem with my sausages being a bit crumbly even with a decent amount
of fat. It worked like a charm!

Home website:

http://www.deejayssmokepit.net/

Scroll down the home page until you find the charts for additives. It's
a pdf file.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> "john bently" > wrote:
>

>>Mincing up some meat and mixing with breadcrumbs and herbs, I've ended up
>>with something like a sausage meat.
>>
>>I would like to bind it all together to make it something like a hamburgher.
>>( I dont want to use sausage skins to turn it into sausages)
>>
>>Is there a way to be able to present it as a more presentable food dish
>>rather than it being all crumbly like it is at present.
>>
>>I know egg is often used as a food 'binder', but I dont want the taste of
>>egg in this.
>>
>>Does anyone know of another kind of food binder I could use, or any another
>>way to make it more presentable as a food item? Thanks for advice.

> This website has a chart of binders. Last two times I made sausage, I
> tried her whey protein powder binder proportions as I was having a
> problem with my sausages being a bit crumbly even with a decent amount
> of fat. It worked like a charm!
>
> Home website:
>
> http://www.deejayssmokepit.net/
>
> Scroll down the home page until you find the charts for additives. It's
> a pdf file.

I would strongly suggest looking to your technique before
resorting to additives if you're making crumbly sauaage. Crumbly
shouldn't happen.

When you add your salt and spices you should spend time working
the mix. Use a nice big spoon and gently work it for at least
a few minutes. The purpose is not just to blend it, but also
to get the mix to bind upon cooking.

You'll know when it's finished. The meat will hold together
in tighter ball without coming apart. It is possible to
overmix, so let experience be your guide.

When you add salt (or any other strong solute) to ground meat and
then gently mix, it will mildly coagulate some of the proteins
and draw them to the surface. The sticky proteins coat the surface of
each grain and the result is proper binding.

Any sort of additive should always be a last resort.

For a full discussion of mixing to bind check out "Cooking by Hand".

--
Mort
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mort > wrote:

> I would strongly suggest looking to your technique before
> resorting to additives if you're making crumbly sauaage. Crumbly
> shouldn't happen.
>
> When you add your salt and spices you should spend time working
> the mix. Use a nice big spoon and gently work it for at least
> a few minutes. The purpose is not just to blend it, but also
> to get the mix to bind upon cooking.
>
> You'll know when it's finished. The meat will hold together
> in tighter ball without coming apart. It is possible to
> overmix, so let experience be your guide.
>
> When you add salt (or any other strong solute) to ground meat and
> then gently mix, it will mildly coagulate some of the proteins
> and draw them to the surface. The sticky proteins coat the surface of
> each grain and the result is proper binding.
>
> Any sort of additive should always be a last resort.
>
> For a full discussion of mixing to bind check out "Cooking by Hand".
>
> --
> Mort

I make a stuffed sausage most of the time and after two experiences at
running the ground and hand mixed spiced meat back thru the grinder
using the stuffer attachment, I decided it was a pain in the ass and now
use a method that a professional sausage maker recommended on a.b.f. I
cut the meat into 1" to 2" chunks and spice it that way, then run it
thru the grinder only once and directly into the casings.

I've never had a problem with the pork or chicken sausage being crumbly.
It was the beef I had trouble with. Adding the whey protein did not
flavor it negatively, and did bind it quite well!

Binders are common in commercial sausages.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> Mort > wrote:
>

>>I would strongly suggest looking to your technique before
>>resorting to additives if you're making crumbly sauaage. Crumbly
>>shouldn't happen.
>>
>>When you add your salt and spices you should spend time working
>>the mix. Use a nice big spoon and gently work it for at least
>>a few minutes. The purpose is not just to blend it, but also
>>to get the mix to bind upon cooking.
>>
>>You'll know when it's finished. The meat will hold together
>>in tighter ball without coming apart. It is possible to
>>overmix, so let experience be your guide.
>>
>>When you add salt (or any other strong solute) to ground meat and
>>then gently mix, it will mildly coagulate some of the proteins
>>and draw them to the surface. The sticky proteins coat the surface of
>>each grain and the result is proper binding.
>>
>>Any sort of additive should always be a last resort.
>>
>>For a full discussion of mixing to bind check out "Cooking by Hand".
>>
>>--
>>Mort

> I make a stuffed sausage most of the time and after two experiences at
> running the ground and hand mixed spiced meat back thru the grinder
> using the stuffer attachment, I decided it was a pain in the ass and now
> use a method that a professional sausage maker recommended on a.b.f. I
> cut the meat into 1" to 2" chunks and spice it that way, then run it
> thru the grinder only once and directly into the casings.
>
> I've never had a problem with the pork or chicken sausage being crumbly.
> It was the beef I had trouble with. Adding the whey protein did not
> flavor it negatively, and did bind it quite well!
>
> Binders are common in commercial sausages.

Yes, but isn't this why we make it at home?

I like your expedited grinding technique. I use it too
for certain items.

--
Mort
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mort > wrote:

> > I've never had a problem with the pork or chicken sausage being crumbly.
> > It was the beef I had trouble with. Adding the whey protein did not
> > flavor it negatively, and did bind it quite well!
> >
> > Binders are common in commercial sausages.

> Yes, but isn't this why we make it at home?
>
> I like your expedited grinding technique. I use it too
> for certain items.
>
> --
> Mort

True! <g> But at least I get to pick the binder this way.
Whey protein is actually very good for you and adds no negative flavors
to my meat.

Point taken however!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"john bently" > wrote:

> Does anyone know of another kind of food binder I could use,
> or any another way to make it more presentable as a food item?

A thick slurry of oat bran in water, mixed together then mixed
immediately with the other food items, is an excellent binder.
Assuming you are then proceeding to cook whatever it is.

I use this approach with salmon cakes, crab cakes etc. when
I do not want the fat and calories of mayonaisse or eggs.

Steve