Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Food intolerance in Britain

On Feb 8, 8:42*am, "James Silverton" >
wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> This report in the Telegraph seems to indicate that the British are just
> as worried as Americans.
>
> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...rton/7168007/F...
>
> "One in five Britons is now labouring under the misapprehension that
> they are suffering from a food allergy"

I'm not sure that I could tolerate the food in England. My wife and
son are going to Iceland in August. (I have airplane phobias, so I'm
not going). I wonder what they'll find to eat there.

> --
>
> James Silverton

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 07:06:05 -0800 (PST), Food Snob® wrote:

> On Feb 8, 8:42*am, "James Silverton" >
> wrote:
>> Hello All!
>>
>> This report in the Telegraph seems to indicate that the British are just
>> as worried as Americans.
>>
>> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...rton/7168007/F...
>>
>> "One in five Britons is now labouring under the misapprehension that
>> they are suffering from a food allergy"

> I'm not sure that I could tolerate the food in England. My wife and
> son are going to Iceland in August. (I have airplane phobias, so I'm
> not going). I wonder what they'll find to eat there.

i'm sure that they'll be so happy to be free of your hectoring they won't
care what it is they're eating.

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Food Snob® wrote:

> I'm not sure that I could tolerate the food in England.

Then I guess it's a Good Thing you stay home.

> My wife and
> son are going to Iceland in August. (I have airplane phobias, so I'm
> not going). I wonder what they'll find to eat there.
>> --

They will find wonderfully succulent shrimp, for one thing. We've had
terrific Icelandic shrimp all over Scandinavia.

Actually in all our travels I've never found a cuisine where I didn't
like at least most of it.

You call yourself "Food Snob" but some of your posts make me think "Food
Phobic".

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gloria.p" > wrote in message
> Food Snob® wrote:
>

>> I'm not sure that I could tolerate the food in England.

> Then I guess it's a Good Thing you stay home.

LOL Nice one, Gloria)))

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 8, 10:06 am, Food Snob® > wrote:

> I'm not sure that I could tolerate the food in England. My wife and
> son are going to Iceland in August. (I have airplane phobias, so I'm
> not going). I wonder what they'll find to eat there.

Hákarl and Brennivín. You need lots of the latter to enjoy any of the
former :-)

HTH.

--
Silvar Beitel

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gloria.p" > wrote in message
> Food Snob® wrote:
>

>> I'm not sure that I could tolerate the food in England.

> Then I guess it's a Good Thing you stay home.
>
>> My wife and
>> son are going to Iceland in August. (I have airplane phobias, so I'm
>> not going). I wonder what they'll find to eat there.
>>> --

> They will find wonderfully succulent shrimp, for one thing. We've had
> terrific Icelandic shrimp all over Scandinavia.
>
> Actually in all our travels I've never found a cuisine where I didn't like
> at least most of it.
>
> You call yourself "Food Snob" but some of your posts make me think "Food
> Phobic".

"Ignoramus" is perhaps more appropriate!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 8, 10:56*am, blake murphy > wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 07:06:05 -0800 (PST), Food Snob® wrote:
> > On Feb 8, 8:42*am, "James Silverton" >
> > wrote:
> >> Hello All!

> >> This report in the Telegraph seems to indicate that the British are just
> >> as worried as Americans.

> >>http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...rton/7168007/F....

> >> "One in five Britons is now labouring under the misapprehension that
> >> they are suffering from a food allergy"

> > I'm not sure that I could tolerate the food in England. *My wife and
> > son are going to Iceland in August. (I have airplane phobias, so I'm
> > not going). *I wonder what they'll find to eat there.

> i'm sure that they'll be so happy to be free of your hectoring they won't
> care what it is they're eating.

I know that you'd like to think that my relationship with them is like
that. I'm actually very sweet to my wife, and I'm easier on my son
that he often merits. He's both unusually smart and unusually
bullheaded. Both of those things I can deal with, but he's also, like
most other kids in his cohort, way too lazy, but I digress. Let's
see, I have a wife who's smart and hot, and a good looking, smart, if
a bit headstrong son. Maybe you have something of the sort too, or
other personal relationships that you find satisfying. Maybe not, and
it's disturbing to you that I *do*.
I throw stones at other people's cooking. You...well, I like you more
than you'd like me to. I know that you don't vote badly, and I care
more about that than I do whether or not you like me, detest me, or
any other thing like whether you disparage me on Usenet.

> blake

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 8, 11:36*am, "gloria.p" > wrote:
> Food Snob® wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure that I could tolerate the food in England. *

> Then I guess it's a Good Thing you stay home.
>
> > My wife and
> > son are going to Iceland in August. (I have airplane phobias, so I'm
> > not going). *I wonder what they'll find to eat there.
> >> --

> They will find wonderfully succulent shrimp, for one thing. *We've had
> terrific Icelandic shrimp all over Scandinavia.
>
> Actually in all our travels I've never found a cuisine where I didn't
> like at least most of it.
>
> You call yourself "Food Snob" but some of your posts make me think "Food
> Phobic".

Oh, I started posting as Food Snob because I was called that by others
because I was critical of using onion soup packets, canned "cream of"
soups, condiments, and hydrogenated oils as ingredients.

> gloria p

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Food Snob® wrote:

> I throw stones at other people's cooking.

Why?

Does insulting other people or their food choices make you feel good?

Does it really matter to you what other people eat?

How does what other people eat affect your life?

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Food Snob® wrote:
> On Feb 8, 8:42 am, "James Silverton" >
> wrote:
>> Hello All!
>>
>> This report in the Telegraph seems to indicate that the British are just
>> as worried as Americans.
>>
>> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...rton/7168007/F...
>>
>> "One in five Britons is now labouring under the misapprehension that
>> they are suffering from a food allergy"

> I'm not sure that I could tolerate the food in England. My wife and
> son are going to Iceland in August. (I have airplane phobias, so I'm
> not going). I wonder what they'll find to eat there.

You won't travel because of a plane phobia, yet you see fit to cast
aspersions on food you have never eaten?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gloria.p wrote:
> Food Snob® wrote:
>

>> I'm not sure that I could tolerate the food in England.

> Then I guess it's a Good Thing you stay home.
>
>> My wife and
>> son are going to Iceland in August. (I have airplane phobias, so I'm
>> not going). I wonder what they'll find to eat there.
>>> --

> They will find wonderfully succulent shrimp, for one thing. We've had
> terrific Icelandic shrimp all over Scandinavia.

They will also find prices on scale they never dreamed of. I know a few
people who have been there in the last few years and they were stunned
by the prices. My son's girlfriend was there on an exchange for a
summer. She went out for drinks with two friends and when it was her
round it cost her $60 for three drinks.

> Actually in all our travels I've never found a cuisine where I didn't
> like at least most of it.
>
> You call yourself "Food Snob" but some of your posts make me think "Food
> Phobic".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 8, 3:44*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> Food Snob® wrote:
> > On Feb 8, 8:42 am, "James Silverton" >
> > wrote:
> >> Hello All!

> >> This report in the Telegraph seems to indicate that the British are just
> >> as worried as Americans.

> >>http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...rton/7168007/F....

> >> "One in five Britons is now labouring under the misapprehension that
> >> they are suffering from a food allergy"

> > I'm not sure that I could tolerate the food in England. *My wife and
> > son are going to Iceland in August. (I have airplane phobias, so I'm
> > not going). *I wonder what they'll find to eat there.

> You won't travel because of a plane phobia, yet you see fit to cast
> aspersions on food you have never eaten?

Oh, Jeez, you know some of the stuff they eat, haggis, blood pudding,
even their comedians make fun of their own foods.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Food Snob® wrote:

> On Feb 8, 8:42 am, "James Silverton" >
> wrote:
> > Hello All!
> >
> > This report in the Telegraph seems to indicate that the British are just
> > as worried as Americans.
> >
> > http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...rton/7168007/F...
> >
> > "One in five Britons is now labouring under the misapprehension that
> > they are suffering from a food allergy"

> I'm not sure that I could tolerate the food in England. My wife and
> son are going to Iceland in August. (I have airplane phobias, so I'm
> not going). I wonder what they'll find to eat there.

They will find the world's best fish cuisine, the world's best lamb, the
world's best potatoes and the world's best yoghurt-type product to begin
with. The vegetables and fruits aren't quite so good, but then most of
those need to come some distance. Desserts and pastries are so--so.
Coffee is superb. They will also find the food quite expensive.
Spectacular scenery to boot.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Food Snob® > wrote:

> On Feb 8, 3:44*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> > Food Snob® wrote:

> > > I'm not sure that I could tolerate the food in England. *My wife and
> > > son are going to Iceland in August. (I have airplane phobias, so I'm
> > > not going). *I wonder what they'll find to eat there.

> > You won't travel because of a plane phobia, yet you see fit to cast
> > aspersions on food you have never eaten?

> Oh, Jeez, you know some of the stuff they eat, haggis, blood pudding,
> even their comedians make fun of their own foods.

Mmm, haggis. And I haven't had black pudding in years. Must see if I
can find some that's gluten-free.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 07:06:05 -0800 (PST), Food Snob® wrote:
>
>> On Feb 8, 8:42 am, "James Silverton" >
>> wrote:
>>> Hello All!
>>>
>>> This report in the Telegraph seems to indicate that the British are
>>> just as worried as Americans.
>>>
>>> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...rton/7168007/F...
>>>
>>> "One in five Britons is now labouring under the misapprehension that
>>> they are suffering from a food allergy"

>> I'm not sure that I could tolerate the food in England. My wife and
>> son are going to Iceland in August. (I have airplane phobias, so I'm
>> not going). I wonder what they'll find to eat there.

> i'm sure that they'll be so happy to be free of your hectoring they
> won't care what it is they're eating.

Maybe they can bring him back some rotted shark as a gift, that's one of the
national dishes of Iceland IIRC. It's shark meat that is buried in sand for
a whiles and then resurrected...an "acquired taste" from what I've read.

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Food Snob® wrote:

> On Feb 8, 10:56 am, blake murphy > wrote:
>> On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 07:06:05 -0800 (PST), Food Snob® wrote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...rton/7168007/F...

>>> I'm not sure that I could tolerate the food in England. My wife and
>>> son are going to Iceland in August. (I have airplane phobias, so I'm
>>> not going). I wonder what they'll find to eat there.

>> i'm sure that they'll be so happy to be free of your hectoring they
>> won't care what it is they're eating.

> I know that you'd like to think that my relationship with them is like
> that. I'm actually very sweet to my wife, and I'm easier on my son
> that he often merits. He's both unusually smart and unusually
> bullheaded. Both of those things I can deal with, but he's also, like
> most other kids in his cohort, way too lazy, but I digress. Let's
> see, I have a wife who's smart and hot, and a good looking, smart, if
> a bit headstrong son. Maybe you have something of the sort too, or
> other personal relationships that you find satisfying. Maybe not, and
> it's disturbing to you that I *do*.
> I throw stones at other people's cooking. You...well, I like you more
> than you'd like me to. I know that you don't vote badly, and I care
> more about that than I do whether or not you like me, detest me, or
> any other thing like whether you disparage me on Usenet.

Aw, jeez, now I'm so 'touched' that I think I'm gonna bawl my jaded old eyes
out...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> They will also find prices on scale they never dreamed of. I know a
> few people who have been there in the last few years and they were
> stunned by the prices. My son's girlfriend was there on an exchange
> for a summer. She went out for drinks with two friends and when it was
> her round it cost her $60 for three drinks.

The value of the US dollar has fell in the past 8-9 years, causing
foreign travel to be expensive. In 2002, I stayed in a suite in Brazil
that had a kitchen, living room, bedroom and bathroom. It was $30 per
night. A friend recently stayed in the same hotel, and it was just over
$90 per night. When you look at the currency exchange rate, the
Brazilian Real is currently 1.79 to the US dollar, and when I went in
2002, the Real was over 3.50.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 8, 1:34*pm, George Leppla > wrote:
> Food Snob® wrote:
> > I throw stones at other people's cooking. *

> Why?
>
> Does insulting other people or their food choices make you feel good?
>
> Does it really matter to you what other people eat?
>
> How does what other people eat affect your life?

The general norms of cooking in any society tend to have some effects
on most individuals.
There are work, neighborhood and extended family potlucks, and I'm not
going to bother with more examples.

> George L

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Food Snob® > wrote:

>I'm not sure that I could tolerate the food in England.

Things have changed, the U.K. is now a food destination.

There is still some bad food there, but far less of it than
in the past.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>Dave Smith wrote:

> They will also find prices on scale they never dreamed of. I know a
> few people who have been there in the last few years and they were
> stunned by the prices. My son's girlfriend was there on an exchange
> for a summer. She went out for drinks with two friends and when it was
> her round it cost her $60 for three drinks.

I've lost the context here. This is Ccandinavia, not the UK, true?

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:

> Dave Smith wrote:
>> They will also find prices on scale they never dreamed of. I know a
>> few people who have been there in the last few years and they were
>> stunned by the prices. My son's girlfriend was there on an exchange
>> for a summer. She went out for drinks with two friends and when it
>> was her round it cost her $60 for three drinks.

> The value of the US dollar has fell in the past 8-9 years, causing
> foreign travel to be expensive. In 2002, I stayed in a suite in
> Brazil that had a kitchen, living room, bedroom and bathroom. It was
> $30 per night. A friend recently stayed in the same hotel, and it
> was just over $90 per night. When you look at the currency exchange
> rate, the Brazilian Real is currently 1.79 to the US dollar, and when
> I went in 2002, the Real was over 3.50.

Brazil now has a fairly strong economy, hence the strength of their
currency...

As for Iceland (if that's what Smith up there is referencing), prices for
visitors have "adjusted downward" somewhat since the economic collapse of
the past year...IIRC the gov't. is touting Iceland as a "reasonably -
priced" tourist desination in order to drum up some activity for their
extremely depressed economy.

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 9, 4:19*pm, "Gregory Morrow" > wrote:
> blake murphy wrote:
> > On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 07:06:05 -0800 (PST), Food Snob® wrote:

> >> I'm not sure that I could tolerate the food in England. *My wife and
> >> son are going toIcelandin August. (I have airplane phobias, so I'm
> >> not going). *I wonder what they'll find to eat there.

> > i'm sure that they'll be so happy to be free of your hectoring they
> > won't care what it is they're eating.

> Maybe they can bring him back some rotted shark as a gift, that's one of the
> national dishes ofIcelandIIRC. *It's shark meat that is buried in sand for
> a whiles and then resurrected...an "acquired taste" from what I've read.

Shark is not a national dish in Iceland and is not eaten much (except
by tourists).
It is considered to by an oddity.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 9, 4:47*pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:
> >Dave Smith wrote:
> > They will also find prices on scale they never dreamed of. I know a
> > few people who have been there in the last few years and they were
> > stunned by the prices. My son's girlfriend was there on an exchange
> > for a summer. She went out for drinks with two friends and when it was
> > her round it cost her $60 for three drinks.

> I've lost the context here. *This is Ccandinavia, not the UK, true?
>
> Steve

Iceland is not in Scandinavia either (Iceland is to the north-west of
the UK, Scandinavia to the east)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 8, 5:46*pm, Silvar Beitel > wrote:
> On Feb 8, 10:06 am, Food Snob® > wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure that I could tolerate the food in England. *My wife and
> > son are going toIcelandin August. (I have airplane phobias, so I'm
> > not going). *I wonder what they'll find to eat there.

> Hákarl and Brennivín. *You need lots of the latter to enjoy any of the
> former :-)

Hákarl (shark) is a speiality dish that is sometimes asked for by
tourists. Icelanders do not eat it normally.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 9, 3:46 pm, sigvaldi > wrote:
> On Feb 8, 5:46 pm, Silvar Beitel > wrote:
>
> > On Feb 8, 10:06 am, Food Snob® > wrote:

> > > I'm not sure that I could tolerate the food in England. My wife and
> > > son are going toIcelandin August. (I have airplane phobias, so I'm
> > > not going). I wonder what they'll find to eat there.

> > Hákarl and Brennivín. You need lots of the latter to enjoy any of the
> > former :-)

> Hákarl (shark) is a speiality dish that is sometimes asked for by
> tourists. Icelanders do not eat it normally.

Oh, I knew that. I, as a tourist there, had my obligatory taste of
it, washed down (before and after!) by plenty of booze. Sort of like
stinky cheese. Not bad, once you get over the smell of it, but
definitely not something one wants to eat with any regularity.

Brennivín is no worse (or better) than any other flavored schnapps. If
you like the flavor of caraway, you'll like it. If not, you won't.

I loved Island and plan to go back, preferably in the summer, on a
motorbike. You have a most interesting country! And I hope your
economy recovers quickly!

--
Silvar Beitel

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Silvar wrote on Tue, 9 Feb 2010 13:43:24 -0800 (PST):

> On Feb 9, 3:46 pm, sigvaldi > wrote:
>> On Feb 8, 5:46 pm, Silvar Beitel >
>> wrote:

> >> Hákarl and Brennivín. You need lots of the latter to enjoy
> >> any of the former :-)

>> Hákarl (shark) is a speiality dish that is sometimes asked
>> for by tourists. Icelanders do not eat it normally.

> Oh, I knew that. I, as a tourist there, had my obligatory
> taste of it, washed down (before and after!) by plenty of
> booze. Sort of like stinky cheese. Not bad, once you get
> over the smell of it, but definitely not something one wants
> to eat with any regularity.

Hakarl seems to be an example of the strange Nordic tendency to ferment
(or putrefy) fish in order to preserve it. Another type is Lutefisk as
prepared in Minnesota from cod. I did once try Lutefisk but never again!

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sigvaldi wrote:

> On Feb 8, 5:46 pm, Silvar Beitel > wrote:
> > On Feb 8, 10:06 am, Food Snob® > wrote:
> >
> > > I'm not sure that I could tolerate the food in England. My wife and
> > > son are going toIcelandin August. (I have airplane phobias, so I'm
> > > not going). I wonder what they'll find to eat there.

> > Hákarl and Brennivín. You need lots of the latter to enjoy any of the
> > former :-)
> >

> Hákarl (shark) is a speiality dish that is sometimes asked for by
> tourists. Icelanders do not eat it normally.

Never even saw it offered the times I was there. Black Death is another
matter of course
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:

> Food Snob® > wrote:
>
> >I'm not sure that I could tolerate the food in England.

> Things have changed, the U.K. is now a food destination.
>
> There is still some bad food there, but far less of it than
> in the past.
>
> Steve

There has always been the same amount of bad food in the UK that there
was/is in the US. BTDT both places, I know these things :P
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 9, 9:50*pm, "James Silverton" >
wrote:
> *Silvar *wrote *on Tue, 9 Feb 2010 13:43:24 -0800 (PST):
>

> > On Feb 9, 3:46 > wrote:

> >> Hákarl (shark) is a speiality dish that is sometimes asked
> >> for by tourists. Icelanders do not eat it normally.

> > Oh, I knew that. *I, as a tourist there, had my obligatory
> > taste of it, washed down (before and after!) by plenty of
> > booze. *Sort of like stinky cheese. *Not bad, once you get
> > over the smell of it, but definitely not something one wants
> > to eat with any regularity.

> Hakarl seems to be an example of the strange Nordic tendency to ferment
> (or putrefy) fish in order to preserve it. Another type is Lutefisk as
> prepared in Minnesota from cod. I did once try Lutefisk but never again!

Untreated shark is poisonus so the fermenting is a way to actually
make it edible (or at least non-lethal to eat)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sigvaldi wrote on Wed, 10 Feb 2010 01:07:53 -0800 (PST):

> On Feb 9, 9:50 pm, "James Silverton"
> > wrote:
>> Silvar wrote on Tue, 9 Feb 2010 13:43:24 -0800 (PST):

> >> Oh, I knew that. I, as a tourist there, had my obligatory
> >> taste of it, washed down (before and after!) by plenty of
> >> booze. Sort of like stinky cheese. Not bad, once you get
> >> over the smell of it, but definitely not something one
> >> wants to eat with any regularity.

>> Hakarl seems to be an example of the strange Nordic tendency
>> to ferment (or putrefy) fish in order to preserve it. Another
>> type is Lutefisk as prepared in Minnesota from cod. I did
>> once try Lutefisk but never again!
>>

>Untreated shark is poisonus so the fermenting is a way to actually
>make it edible (or at least non-lethal to eat)

But you can get shark steaks. I've even eaten them myself tho' I don't
now since sharks are apparently becoming scarce. I don't know whether a
sailor would consider that a bad thing :-)

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 10:19:39 -0600, "Gregory Morrow"
> wrote:

>Maybe they can bring him back some rotted shark as a gift, that's one of the
>national dishes of Iceland IIRC. It's shark meat that is buried in sand for
>a whiles and then resurrected...an "acquired taste" from what I've read.

This is very reminiscent of that Scandinavian delight, lutefisk, which
likely is a "cousin."

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

---

"If the soup had been as warm as the wine,
if the wine had been as old as the turkey,
and if the turkey had had a breast like the maid,
it would have been a swell dinner." Duncan Hines