Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Food processor dough

My food processor did not come with a plastic dough mixing blade.
Can I use the steel chopping blade for mixing dough?
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jan 28, 10:40*am, David Harmon > wrote:
> My food processor did not come with a plastic dough mixing blade.
> Can I use the steel chopping blade for mixing dough?

yup. I've done it with no problem

If you want to get a plastic one though you can order it through
Culinary Parts....now merged with Gourmet Depot.

http://www.thegourmetdepotco.com/store/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
David Harmon > wrote:

> My food processor did not come with a plastic dough mixing blade.
> Can I use the steel chopping blade for mixing dough?

I don't think I would. IIR, the dough blade is for recipes with 3 or
more cups of flour.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller; Pirohy, January 25, 2010
The Pirohy Princess is in the Kitchen
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 14:43:56 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article > ,
> David Harmon > wrote:
>
>> My food processor did not come with a plastic dough mixing blade.
>> Can I use the steel chopping blade for mixing dough?

>I don't think I would. IIR, the dough blade is for recipes with 3 or
>more cups of flour.

I have almost always used the metal blade when I make bread in my
Cuisinart Custom 11. It has a plastic blade but I never bother to
look for it when I am ready to make a loaf of bread. And any time I
am going to make 1 loaf I use the Cuisinart. For 2 loaves I use my
KitchenAid 5 quart and for more than that, I use the Magic Mill which
can handle up to 5 pounds of flour.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 10:40:46 -0800, David Harmon >
wrote:

>My food processor did not come with a plastic dough mixing blade.
>Can I use the steel chopping blade for mixing dough?

I have the plastic blade, but I never use it and I always make dough
in my food processor. You'll be fine.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

David Harmon wrote:
> My food processor did not come with a plastic dough mixing blade.
> Can I use the steel chopping blade for mixing dough?

The steel blade will make dough fine. The gotcha is that the plastic blade
is shorter and less likely to stall, or if the design of the machine is such
that it will break before stalling, to break (and I did break my DLC-7 with
some pumpernickel--shaft spun inside the hub).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 23:12:33 -0500, "J. Clarke"
> wrote:

>David Harmon wrote:
>> My food processor did not come with a plastic dough mixing blade.
>> Can I use the steel chopping blade for mixing dough?

>The steel blade will make dough fine. The gotcha is that the plastic blade
>is shorter and less likely to stall, or if the design of the machine is such
>that it will break before stalling, to break (and I did break my DLC-7 with
>some pumpernickel--shaft spun inside the hub).

That's sorta what happened to mine too. The plastic came off the
shaft. The motor was fine, but the housing gave out. That was a
great machine! It lived a long and useful life.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 23:12:33 -0500, "J. Clarke"
> > wrote:
>
>> David Harmon wrote:
>>> My food processor did not come with a plastic dough mixing blade.
>>> Can I use the steel chopping blade for mixing dough?

>> The steel blade will make dough fine. The gotcha is that the
>> plastic blade is shorter and less likely to stall, or if the design
>> of the machine is such that it will break before stalling, to break
>> (and I did break my DLC-7 with some pumpernickel--shaft spun inside
>> the hub).

> That's sorta what happened to mine too. The plastic came off the
> shaft. The motor was fine, but the housing gave out. That was a
> great machine! It lived a long and useful life.

I tried the same recipe in stand mixer and it stalled. Finally pushed me
off center to get a bread machine, which kneads it with no problem.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 23:12:33 -0500, "J. Clarke"
> wrote:

>David Harmon wrote:
>> My food processor did not come with a plastic dough mixing blade.
>> Can I use the steel chopping blade for mixing dough?

>The steel blade will make dough fine. The gotcha is that the plastic blade
>is shorter and less likely to stall, or if the design of the machine is such
>that it will break before stalling, to break (and I did break my DLC-7 with
>some pumpernickel--shaft spun inside the hub).

I've got an old Toshiba TFP-1200. I did the same thing with both
shredding blades. I did it on cheese. I never tried it for dough.
I'm sure it wouldn't handle he load. I like the less robust pulse
feature it has for chopping things so I kept it and luckily found
replacements. But for big jobs the KA gets used.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 17:03:22 -0800, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 14:43:56 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:
>
>>In article > ,
>> David Harmon > wrote:
>>
>>> My food processor did not come with a plastic dough mixing blade.
>>> Can I use the steel chopping blade for mixing dough?

>>I don't think I would. IIR, the dough blade is for recipes with 3 or
>>more cups of flour.

>I make pizza dough all the time in my food processor, and have never
>used the dough blade. And from all I have read, one really doesn't
>have to use the dough blade.

I've used my KA for dough too. I've never heard the 3 cup flower
guideline but it sure makes sense. For a single loaf or two small
pizzas it's fine. But for larger batches it seems to choke. The
mixer or the dough cycle on the bread machine is a safer bet.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
David Harmon > wrote:

> My food processor did not come with a plastic dough mixing blade.
> Can I use the steel chopping blade for mixing dough?

Yup. I do it all the time.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 10:53:25 -0600 in rec.food.cooking, Lou Decruss
> wrote,
>I've used my KA for dough too. I've never heard the 3 cup flower
>guideline but it sure makes sense. For a single loaf or two small
>pizzas it's fine.

Thanks, everybody, for your answers.

Hah, Mary Ann Esposito is making pizza dough in her food processor
and using the metal blade, on TV right now.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Lou Decruss > wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 17:03:22 -0800, Christine Dabney
> > wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 14:43:56 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:

> I've used my KA for dough too. I've never heard the 3 cup flower
> guideline but it sure makes sense. For a single loaf or two small
> pizzas it's fine. But for larger batches it seems to choke. The
> mixer or the dough cycle on the bread machine is a safer bet.
>
> Lou

RTFM? "-)

Whoops! I was off by half a cup. It's 3-1/2 cups

Instruction and Recipe Booklet for my Deluxe 11 Food Processor says
"Plastic dough blade is intended only for recipes calling for at least
3-1/2 cups of flour. If your recipe calls for less flour, remove
plastic dough blade and insert metal blade. Always use metal blade for
recipes calling for less than 3-1/2 cups of flour, such as pizza dough."

Manual for my old DLC-8 Plus says the same.

I note that the info here speaks of a metal dough blade. Huh!:
<http://www.retrevo.com/r/884dj486/39...#q=Cuisinart+D
LC-2011>

Manuals also contain info about maximum amounts of flour involved for
various dough recipes, too.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller; Pirohy, January 25, 2010
The Pirohy Princess is in the Kitchen
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 11:00:10 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Lou Decruss > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 17:03:22 -0800, Christine Dabney
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 14:43:56 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
>> > wrote:

>> I've used my KA for dough too. I've never heard the 3 cup flower
>> guideline but it sure makes sense. For a single loaf or two small
>> pizzas it's fine. But for larger batches it seems to choke. The
>> mixer or the dough cycle on the bread machine is a safer bet.
>>
>> Lou

>RTFM? "-)

Like I know where that old thing is. <g>

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 08:26:12 -0800, David Harmon >
wrote:

>On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 10:53:25 -0600 in rec.food.cooking, Lou Decruss
> wrote,
>>I've used my KA for dough too. I've never heard the 3 cup flower
>>guideline but it sure makes sense. For a single loaf or two small
>>pizzas it's fine.

>Thanks, everybody, for your answers.
>
>Hah, Mary Ann Esposito is making pizza dough in her food processor
>and using the metal blade, on TV right now.

Hope I haven't missed her! Turning on Tv.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Lou Decruss > wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 11:00:10 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > Lou Decruss > wrote:

> >> I've used my KA for dough too. I've never heard the 3 cup flower
> >> guideline but it sure makes sense. For a single loaf or two small
> >> pizzas it's fine. But for larger batches it seems to choke. The
> >> mixer or the dough cycle on the bread machine is a safer bet.
> >>
> >> Lou

> >RTFM? "-)

> Like I know where that old thing is. <g>
>
> Lou

For one who lives in as much chaos and clutter as I do, I have that kind
of thing under control and readily accessible. Go figure.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller; Pirohy, January 25, 2010
The Pirohy Princess is in the Kitchen
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
David Harmon > wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 10:53:25 -0600 in rec.food.cooking, Lou Decruss
> > wrote,
> >I've used my KA for dough too. I've never heard the 3 cup flower
> >guideline but it sure makes sense. For a single loaf or two small
> >pizzas it's fine.

> Thanks, everybody, for your answers.
>
> Hah, Mary Ann Esposito is making pizza dough in her food processor
> and using the metal blade, on TV right now.

How much flour is in the recipe?

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller; Pirohy, January 25, 2010
The Pirohy Princess is in the Kitchen
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 17:00:55 -0600 in rec.food.cooking, Melba's
Jammin' > wrote,
>In article >,
> David Harmon > wrote:
>> Hah, Mary Ann Esposito is making pizza dough in her food processor
>> and using the metal blade, on TV right now.

>How much flour is in the recipe?

Two cups, and one cup liquid, to make two pizzas.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
David Harmon > wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 17:00:55 -0600 in rec.food.cooking, Melba's
> Jammin' > wrote,
> >In article >,
> > David Harmon > wrote:
> >> Hah, Mary Ann Esposito is making pizza dough in her food processor
> >> and using the metal blade, on TV right now.

> >How much flour is in the recipe?

> Two cups, and one cup liquid, to make two pizzas.

There you go! Steel blade it is. That's a heckuva lot of water, though
-- looks more like batter than dough.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller; Pirohy, January 25, 2010
The Pirohy Princess is in the Kitchen
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 28, 1:40*pm, David Harmon > wrote:
> My food processor did not come with a plastic dough mixing blade.
> Can I use the steel chopping blade for mixing dough?

I use my steel blade all the time. They "recommend" the plastic
blade since it doesn't get hot from the mixing friction. That might
damage the yeast...but the mixing action takes place so quickly, I
don't knead that long with the steel blade. Hope that helps.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 07:44:34 -0600 in rec.food.cooking, Melba's
Jammin' > wrote,
>In article > ,
> David Harmon > wrote:
>> Two cups, and one cup liquid, to make two pizzas.

>There you go! Steel blade it is. That's a heckuva lot of water, though
>-- looks more like batter than dough.

I may have got it wrong. Also, she worked the dough on a floured
board and it picked up some unknown amount of additional flour
there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 11:34:30 -0600, Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 11:00:10 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
>>In article >,
>> Lou Decruss > wrote:
>>
>>> On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 17:03:22 -0800, Christine Dabney

>>> I've used my KA for dough too. I've never heard the 3 cup flower
>>> guideline but it sure makes sense. For a single loaf or two small
>>> pizzas it's fine. But for larger batches it seems to choke. The
>>> mixer or the dough cycle on the bread machine is a safer bet.
>>>
>>> Lou

>>RTFM? "-)

> Like I know where that old thing is. <g>
>
> Lou

men!

your pal,
various women
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 17:00:33 -0600, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >,
> Lou Decruss > wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 11:00:10 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
>> > wrote:

>>>RTFM? "-)

>> Like I know where that old thing is. <g>
>>
>> Lou

> For one who lives in as much chaos and clutter as I do, I have that kind
> of thing under control and readily accessible. Go figure.

people of the book, unite!

your pal,
blake