Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bacon - Potato - Mushroom Soup

Stu's Bacon - Potato - Mushroom Soup

1 lb. side bacon
2 med. onions (chopped)
600gr. dried mushrooms
1 1/2 lb. potatoes ( I used miniatures) chopped in 1/2 inch pieces
1 bay leaf
1 oz. (handfull) chives (fresh if possible)
250 gr. kernel corn
2 liters chicken stock

1. Brown bacon and onion in stockpot together (do not drain fat)
2. Add the 2 liters of chicken stock, bay leaf, chives, potatoes, mushrooms and
corn
3. Bring to full boil, then turn down to very slow boil for about 40 min.
4. Serve immediately

Pictures to come

Stu
http://foodforu.ca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stu wrote:

> Stu's Bacon - Potato - Mushroom Soup
>
> 1 lb. side bacon
> 2 med. onions (chopped)
> 600gr. dried mushrooms
> 1 1/2 lb. potatoes ( I used miniatures) chopped in 1/2 inch pieces
> 1 bay leaf
> 1 oz. (handfull) chives (fresh if possible)
> 250 gr. kernel corn
> 2 liters chicken stock
>
> 1. Brown bacon and onion in stockpot together (do not drain fat)
> 2. Add the 2 liters of chicken stock, bay leaf, chives, potatoes,
> mushrooms and corn
> 3. Bring to full boil, then turn down to very slow boil for about 40 min.
> 4. Serve immediately
>
> Pictures to come

The main problem I have with dried mushrooms is that they usually contain
some grit. If you rehydrate them, the grit sinks to the bottom of the water
and can be discarded. Doesn't look like you took that precaution.

Is it really necessary to serve immediately? Many if not most soups are
better the second day.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 8 Jan 2010 23:01:55 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>Stu wrote:
>
>> Stu's Bacon - Potato - Mushroom Soup
>>
>> 1 lb. side bacon
>> 2 med. onions (chopped)
>> 600gr. dried mushrooms
>> 1 1/2 lb. potatoes ( I used miniatures) chopped in 1/2 inch pieces
>> 1 bay leaf
>> 1 oz. (handfull) chives (fresh if possible)
>> 250 gr. kernel corn
>> 2 liters chicken stock
>>
>> 1. Brown bacon and onion in stockpot together (do not drain fat)
>> 2. Add the 2 liters of chicken stock, bay leaf, chives, potatoes,
>> mushrooms and corn
>> 3. Bring to full boil, then turn down to very slow boil for about 40 min.
>> 4. Serve immediately
>>
>> Pictures to come

>The main problem I have with dried mushrooms is that they usually contain
>some grit. If you rehydrate them, the grit sinks to the bottom of the water
>and can be discarded. Doesn't look like you took that precaution.

Oh come on Bob, cut him some slack. I use dried mushrooms all the
time and do not notice discernable grit... if there is any grit, I
can't tell.

>Is it really necessary to serve immediately? Many if not most soups are
>better the second day.

Most people don't cook with the intention of serving it a day later.
If it lasts another day and it's better - HOORAY, but they don't
usually do that on purpose.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jay wrote:

>In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 8 Jan 2010 23:01:55 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
>> > wrote:

>> >The main problem I have with dried mushrooms is that they usually contain
>> >some grit. If you rehydrate them, the grit sinks to the bottom of the water
>> >and can be discarded. Doesn't look like you took that precaution.
>> >

>> Oh come on Bob, cut him some slack. I use dried mushrooms all the
>> time and do not notice discernable grit... if there is any grit, I
>> can't tell.

Well, you're a Pro slurpper, obviously you remove your shoppers before
gittin' down to biz.

>> >Is it really necessary to serve immediately? Many if not most soups are
>> >better the second day.
>> >

>> Most people don't cook with the intention of serving it a day later.
>> If it lasts another day and it's better - HOORAY, but they don't
>> usually do that on purpose.

>His comments were right on... and a LOT of people cook soups/chili/stews
>with the intention of serving a day later. I nearly always do. Stu
>posted this to get some constructive comments didn't he?

Well you're dead wrong... WTF do ya think yoose are, Mr. Jay ****in'
Campbell's Kidz? Most home cooks prepare soups/stews to be served the
same day, and hopefully they make enough for left overs and to fill
their freezer. I've never even once in over fifty years prepared a
soup/stew that I didn't partake that day, and also made enough for
several more days... it's really kitchen-dumb to make homemade soups
that fill less than like a ten quart pot.

And yes, dehy 'shrooms should be reconstituted prior to use, their
liquor incorporated in the dish but with the last schmutz filled dregs
tossed. Some folks don't bother, usually because they forgot and/or
are lazy, but then let it settle and toss the last couple three
ounces... there is typically enough sand attached to dehy 'shrooms to
damage teeth. But then all root veggies will contain some sand, even
spuds, even after they're peeled.

Now if yoose truly wanted to make accurate constructive comments yoose
shoulda noticed that bacon and 'shrooms is balatant TIAD. With spud
soup either omit the bacon or omit the 'shrooms... smoked foods and
'shrooms in the same dish is probably the most TIAD combo possible...
anyone who does this proves that they have not even one taste bud on
their tongue, they're all in their rectum, or they lick rectums for a
living. "Jay's Rectum Lapping Ltd."

Ahahahahahahahahaha. . . .
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Stu wrote:
>
>> Stu's Bacon - Potato - Mushroom Soup
>>
>> 1 lb. side bacon
>> 2 med. onions (chopped)
>> 600gr. dried mushrooms
>> 1 1/2 lb. potatoes ( I used miniatures) chopped in 1/2 inch pieces
>> 1 bay leaf
>> 1 oz. (handfull) chives (fresh if possible)
>> 250 gr. kernel corn
>> 2 liters chicken stock
>>
>> 1. Brown bacon and onion in stockpot together (do not drain fat)
>> 2. Add the 2 liters of chicken stock, bay leaf, chives, potatoes,
>> mushrooms and corn
>> 3. Bring to full boil, then turn down to very slow boil for about 40
>> min.
>> 4. Serve immediately
>>
>> Pictures to come

> The main problem I have with dried mushrooms is that they usually
> contain some grit. If you rehydrate them, the grit sinks to the
> bottom of the water and can be discarded. Doesn't look like you took
> that precaution.

When re-hydrating dried mushrooms I always use a coupla soakings to get rid
of any schmutz...also the cheaper Chinese ones can have a pretty "funky"
smell, a coupla soakings/rinsings pretty much get rid of that.

> Is it really necessary to serve immediately? Many if not most soups
> are better the second day.

Agreed, I won't even serve a soup the first day it's been cooked,
refrigerating overnight *at least* is necessary to meld the flavors. Also I
usually find it necessary to adjust the flavors after cooking, this may take
a day or two...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stu wrote:

> btw..I did reconstitute the mushrooms and then rinced them so no grit was
> added to the soup.

Did you wear latex gloves when you did it?

Bob