Old 31-01-2004, 10:31 PM
Mark Shaw

Default Vegemite

What *is* this stuff? How does one eat it?

Thanks.

--
Mark Shaw contact info at homepage -- http://www.panix.com/~mshaw
"There are 10 types of people in the world: those who can

Old 31-01-2004, 10:40 PM
BOB

Mark Shaw wrote:
What is this stuff?

Gear lube

How does one eat it?

Like peanut butter

Google is your friend:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...F-8&q=vegemite

http://www.vegemite.com.au/

It's actually pretty good on toast or crackers.

BOB

Old 31-01-2004, 11:23 PM
David Hare-Scott

"Mark Shaw" wrote in message
What *is* this stuff? How does one eat it?

Thanks.

--
Mark Shaw contact info at homepage -- http://www.panix.com/~mshaw

It is a food spread made from yeast, the yeast is pressure cooked and
reduced until it is black and the consistency of heavy grease. The excess
yeast from the beer brewing industry (megatons of it) has to go somewhere
and in Oz this is what we do with it. Vegemite is quite a good source of B
group vitamins.

Those raised on it enjoy it on sandwiches or often on toast for breakfast.
It can also be used judiciously as a background flavour in soups, stews etc
but be warned it is quite strong and salty. Those not raised on it find it
an acquired taste.

If you haven't acquired the taste yet try it spread THINLY on hot buttered
toast as part of a savoury breakfast. It has no sugar and doesn't sit well
with sweet things. If you get a mouthful of it you will be put off for life
as the epithelium will be stripped off your tongue and deposited in the back
of your throat - or at least it will feel like that.

Some (like my wife) wouldn't eat any other spread. I *was* raised on it and
can take it or leave it.

David

Old 01-02-2004, 12:03 AM
lea b

Mark Shaw wrote:
What *is* this stuff? How does one eat it?

I just had it for breakfast on lightly toasted soy&linseed. Lots of butter,
with a tinge of the veg'. Perfect.

www.vegemite.com.au

--
something witty

Old 01-02-2004, 12:06 AM
lea b

David Hare-Scott wrote:

If you haven't acquired the taste yet try it spread THINLY on hot
buttered toast as part of a savoury breakfast. It has no sugar and
doesn't sit well with sweet things. If you get a mouthful of it you
will be put off for life as the epithelium will be stripped off your
tongue and deposited in the back of your throat - or at least it will
feel like that.

I like it 'raw' for a salt kick.

It's also good to disguise cat medicines/crushed pills.
Like licking the salt off your hand, cats really go for it.
*meow*

Old 01-02-2004, 12:42 AM
THEMOM1

You don't. I'ts a cheap copy of Marmite.

--
Helen

Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift:
Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God
is the object of our faith; the only faith that
saves is faith in Him

www.peagramfamily.com
http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/

http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/..._WATCHERS.html

http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/RECIPES.html

225/187.4/145

Old 01-02-2004, 01:35 AM
pavane

"THEMOM1" wrote in message
You don't. I'ts a cheap copy of Marmite.

--
Helen

Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift:
Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God
is the object of our faith; the only faith that
saves is faith in Him

Yeah, just like Christ being a cheap copy
of John the Baptist.

Time means little; substance is of significance.

pavane

Old 01-02-2004, 01:43 AM
Rhonda Anderson

"lea b" wrote in
:

Mark Shaw wrote:
What *is* this stuff? How does one eat it?

I just had it for breakfast on lightly toasted soy&linseed. Lots of
butter, with a tinge of the veg'. Perfect.

www.vegemite.com.au

I like my Vegemite unadulterated. No butter or margarine! I like it on
toast, on an English muffin or on a crumpet for breakfast. Vegemite
sandwiches and Vegemite and lettuce sandwiches were a staple for lunch
during my schoolyears (and earlier - apparently when I was a toddler I
went for quite a long period refusing to eat anything other than Vegemite
sandwiches and custard g, or so my mum used to tell me). Many people
like Vegemite and cheese sandwiches, but I've always preferred Vegemite
and lettuce.

I've also been known to eat Vegemite spread on Weetbix
(http://www.weetbix.com.au/) as a snack.

One use that I haven't yet tried, but I read here in a previous
discussion on Vegemite was to spread it on toast and top with a poached
egg.

Rhonda Anderson - a happy little Vegemite
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia
Old 01-02-2004, 03:16 AM
Bigbazza

"Mark Shaw" wrote in message
What *is* this stuff? How does one eat it?

Thanks.

--
Mark Shaw contact info at homepage -- http://www.panix.com/~mshaw
"There are 10 types of people in the world: those who can
count in binary, and those who cannot." -unknown

Particularly nice on very hot buttered toast..Hmm..You only spread it
very,very...thinly though...not like you (or at least me..) spread Peanut
Butter...

Bigbazza..Oz

Old 01-02-2004, 03:19 AM
Bigbazza

"THEMOM1" wrote in message
You don't. I'ts a cheap copy of Marmite.

--
Helen

I think you have it very wrong there, Helen...The other way
around....Marmite is a very, very cheap imitation of what some think that
'Vegemite' tastes like...very wrong...g...

Bigbazza..Oz

Old 01-02-2004, 03:52 AM
rbinca

David Hare-Scott said:

"Mark Shaw" wrote in message

[...]

Is it even sold outside of Australia? I have never seen it here in the
US not that I was really looking for it.
Old 01-02-2004, 03:57 AM
kalanamak

rbinca wrote:

Is it even sold outside of Australia? I have never seen it here in the
US not that I was really looking for it.

I bought some last week in a none-too-chichi town in Pugetopolis. I
think it has a shelf-life of several decades.
blacksalt
who remembers trying it in Australia as a child, and being unable to
bear it. My father, a poor boy who milked, collected eggs and delivered
the produce morning and night 7 days a week, couldn't bear throwing food
out. He ate it without a word, and we all watched with sympathy.
Old 01-02-2004, 04:04 AM
david

Default Vegemite - D

See http://www.australianbeers.com/culture/tucker.htm for a vege discussion

Old 01-02-2004, 05:09 AM
Cherry

Nope your wrong. British Marmite came before Australian Vegemite. Ergo
Vegemite is the "very, very cheap imitation of what some think Marmite
tastes like". Now check the history sir.

http://www.marmite.com/

http://www.vegemite.com.au

Cherry

"Bigbazza" wrote in message
u...

Old 01-02-2004, 05:46 AM
lea b

THEMOM1 wrote:
I'ts a cheap copy of Marmite.

It's a superior version of Marmite. Ever compared the two ?
Oh, and Promite sucks pretty bad too.