Kisanna

Default Wolfgang Puck Cookware -- How do you like it?

I'm thinking of purchasing either the Wolfgang Puck Cookware line or
the Sitram Profiserie line from Costco. Both is of similar value and
I am curious of people who may own the Wolfgang Puck's line. Any
advice?

Even cooking surface?
Easy to clean? Food sticks often or not?
Glass Lid considerations?
Discoloration of cookware from Cooking?

Thanks.. I shall post a report on my experience once I decide on which
cookware to buy.
Vox Humana

"Kisanna" > wrote in message
om...
> I'm thinking of purchasing either the Wolfgang Puck Cookware line or
> the Sitram Profiserie line from Costco. Both is of similar value and
> I am curious of people who may own the Wolfgang Puck's line. Any
> advice?
>
> Even cooking surface?
> Easy to clean? Food sticks often or not?
> Glass Lid considerations?
> Discoloration of cookware from Cooking?
>
> Thanks.. I shall post a report on my experience once I decide on which
> cookware to buy.

I have the WP Bistroware from hsn.com I have used it for several year and I
love it. WP was rated best for performance, cleanablility, and finish by
Consumer report - better than All-Clad. The disks on the bottom are very
heavy, making the pans heavier and thicker than most other pieces of clad
cookware. Therefore, they heat very evenly. I Don't have problems with
food sticking. I always heat the pan, add oil, then add the food. I was
worried about the glass lids, but so far there haven't been any problems. I
like them from a functional standpoint. Cooks Illustrated found glass lids
to be as good a metal lids in a study several years ago, so I wouldn't worry
about them. I use them in the oven up to 400F without any problems and
without the lids, I have used the cookware in the oven up to 500F. The
cookware is 18/10 stainless, so it doesn't discolor with use. What does
happen, is that a amber varnish-like coating can build-up on the cookware.
This will happen to any cookware. To restore the finish, I simply put the
cookware in a plastic garbage bag, spray with heavy duty oven cleaner, close
the bag, and let it sit overnight. In the morning, the pieces rinse clean
to like-new condition. This is the method recommended by the manufacturer.

There are two negative issues often discussed with this cookware. One is
theoretical and applies to all disk bottom cookware. Since the aluminum
core does not go up the sides, some people think that scorching is more
likely on the sides of this cookware as opposed to fully clad pans (tri-ply)
like All-Clad. I haven't noticed this, nor has anyone else in the endless
discussions at rec.food.equipment, but if you do a lot of very delicate
sauces you should keep this in mind. The other, and very real consideration
is the handles on the WP cookware. If you have a gas range, they will get
hot. They are a tubular design that seems to act like a chimney, drawing
hot air from around the pan to the handle. It isn't a big issue, but you
will have to get used to using pot holders or mitts. If you have an
electric range, then it shouldn't be an issue.

There are two lines of WP cookware. Bistroware sold at HSN.com and another
line sold at Sam's Club. They are clearly marked on the bottom and there
are differences. I haven't used the cookware from Sam's and it wasn't
tested by Consumer Reports, so if you buy that line, you are on your own --
it may be fine.

As for the Sitram at Costco, it also looks fine. I am concerned about the
copper in the bottom disk. I don't know if it is just for show or if there
is enough mass to be meaningful. Both Costco and HSN have good return
polices. You might consider purchasing an inexpensive "try me" piece of WP
from HSN - something not included in one of the sets, and try it. If you
like it, keep it and get a set. If not, return it. I do recommend the sets
because they are the best value and I use all the pieces in my 21 piece set.

Seth Goodman

In article >,
Vox Humana > wrote:

> WP was rated best for performance, cleanablility, and finish by
> Consumer report - better than All-Clad.

Not exactly. The report in which Wolfgang Puck Cookware was top rated
(December 2002, p. 48) was a test primarily of mid-priced cookware.
All-Clad was *not* included in that test.

--
Seth Goodman
Kisanna

It seems most people are satisfied with their WP cookware. Plus there
are so many pieces and they look quite nice from pictures. The only
other consideration is:

WP cookware has 4mm encapsulated aluminum
Sitram Profiserie has 7mm encapsulated aluminum

The higer percentage of aluminum between the stainless steel should
provide better conduction, I think.

Many thanks for advice!

K.

Seth Goodman > wrote in message >...
> In article >,
> Vox Humana > wrote:
>
> > WP was rated best for performance, cleanablility, and finish by
> > Consumer report - better than All-Clad.

> Not exactly. The report in which Wolfgang Puck Cookware was top rated
> (December 2002, p. 48) was a test primarily of mid-priced cookware.
> All-Clad was *not* included in that test.

Vox Humana

"Kisanna" > wrote in message
om...
> It seems most people are satisfied with their WP cookware. Plus there
> are so many pieces and they look quite nice from pictures. The only
> other consideration is:
>
> WP cookware has 4mm encapsulated aluminum
> Sitram Profiserie has 7mm encapsulated aluminum
>
> The higer percentage of aluminum between the stainless steel should
> provide better conduction, I think.
>
> Many thanks for advice!
>
> K.

There have been many discussions of this cookware at rec.food.equipment. If
you need more advice, you might do a search on that NG on the terms
"Wolfgang Puck" and "WP"

PENMART01

> Sheryl Rosen
>
>>Kisanna wrote:

>> I'm thinking of purchasing either the Wolfgang Puck Cookware line or
>> the Sitram Profiserie line from Costco. Both is of similar value and
>> I am curious of people who may own the Wolfgang Puck's line. Any
>> advice?
>>
>> Even cooking surface?
>> Easy to clean? Food sticks often or not?
>> Glass Lid considerations?
>> Discoloration of cookware from Cooking?
>>
>> Thanks.. I shall post a report on my experience once I decide on which
>> cookware to buy.

>Here's the thing.
>You do realize Wolfgang Puck doesn't actually have a pot factory, right?
>They are made in the same factory as some other brands of cookware. (Which
>ones, i do not know...) He just lends his name for the marketing of the
>product.
>
>That being said, you can rest assured a man who has spent a lot of years
>making a name for himself as a chef isn't going to put his name on junk.
>
>My first impression is, if they meet with your specifications for YOUR
>cooking needs, then go for it.

All true, but the thing though is to try to find out which manufacturer
produces that cookware and then buy the product without the Celebrity Sig.,
it'll likely cost substantially less than the Special Edition version.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Vox Humana

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> > Sheryl Rosen
> >
> >>Kisanna wrote:

> >> I'm thinking of purchasing either the Wolfgang Puck Cookware line or
> >> the Sitram Profiserie line from Costco. Both is of similar value and
> >> I am curious of people who may own the Wolfgang Puck's line. Any
> >> advice?
> >>
> >> Even cooking surface?
> >> Easy to clean? Food sticks often or not?
> >> Glass Lid considerations?
> >> Discoloration of cookware from Cooking?
> >>
> >> Thanks.. I shall post a report on my experience once I decide on which
> >> cookware to buy.

> >Here's the thing.
> >You do realize Wolfgang Puck doesn't actually have a pot factory, right?
> >They are made in the same factory as some other brands of cookware.

(Which
> >ones, i do not know...) He just lends his name for the marketing of the
> >product.
> >
> >That being said, you can rest assured a man who has spent a lot of years
> >making a name for himself as a chef isn't going to put his name on junk.
> >
> >My first impression is, if they meet with your specifications for YOUR
> >cooking needs, then go for it.

> All true, but the thing though is to try to find out which manufacturer
> produces that cookware and then buy the product without the Celebrity

Sig.,
> it'll likely cost substantially less than the Special Edition version.

Since you can get a 16 piece set of WP cookware for $109, I doubt that you
would find a generic version for substantially less.
http://www.hsn.com/cnt/prod/default....cat=&gs=&attr=

PENMART01

>new_pdx_galsays:
>
>Sitram Profiserie has 7mm encapsulated aluminum
>
>The higer percentage of aluminum between the stainless steel should
>provide better conduction, I think.

The conductivity rate for aluminum does not change regardless of thickness.
But with increasing thickness comes a point of diminishing returns regarding
*responsiveness*, so one must strike a happy medium so that all the cooking
properties desired are balanced... kinda like how Goldilocks rated the porridge
until she found one which was jusssssst right! These days there are more folks
than ever who buy cookware way beyond the skills/needs of the typical home
cook... like how senior citizens with a few bucks buy say a Porche and then
drive no faster than 45 mph, in the left lane! duh No one *needs* to spend
more than $10 for a pot when essentially it's used to cook soup. For 95% of
what folks cook at home a set of Farberware Classics will *more* than suffice.
If you say you like the way pricey cookware looks in your kitchen, well that's
being honest, but if you believe pricey cookware will make you a better cook,
then you are nuts. It's much smarter to spend your money on better food...
it's utterly ridiculous how certain folks prepare stock in a $300 All-Crap pot
but they can't bring themselves to spend $5 for a pot chicken, so they invest
many hours cooking that stock of saved up scraps... literally of garbage... and
then they go Mmmmmmm, garbage goooood! Idiots and their pot jewelry.

True.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

PENMART01

>Since you can get a 16 piece set of WP cookware for $109, I doubt that you
>would find a generic version for substantially less.
>
>http://www.hsn.com/cnt/prod/default....b_id=1086738&s

z=0&sf=&dept=&cat=&subcat=&gs=&attr=

The set pictured isn't worth $39... and if someone put in the effort they'd
find the same set at some schlock shop for $29.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Vox Humana

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> >Since you can get a 16 piece set of WP cookware for $109, I doubt that

you
> >would find a generic version for substantially less.
> >
> >http://www.hsn.com/cnt/prod/default....b_id=1086738&s

> z=0&sf=&dept=&cat=&subcat=&gs=&attr=
>
> The set pictured isn't worth $39... and if someone put in the effort

they'd
> find the same set at some schlock shop for $29.

Please post a link for a site with a 16 piece cookware set (18/10 stainless
with encapsulated disk bottom) for $39. I'm always looking for a bargain.

PENMART01

> "Vox Humana" asks:
>
>"PENMART01" wrote:
>> >Since you can get a 16 piece set of WP cookware for $109, I doubt that

>you
>> >would find a generic version for substantially less.
>> >
>> >http://www.hsn.com/cnt/prod/default....b_id=1086738&s

>> z=0&sf=&dept=&cat=&subcat=&gs=&attr=
>>
>> The set pictured isn't worth $39... and if someone put in the effort

>they'd
>> find the same set at some schlock shop for $29.

>Please post a link for a site with a 16 piece cookware set (18/10 stainless
>with encapsulated disk bottom) for $39. I'm always looking for a bargain.

There are better sets than that Puck
crapola and for less money, not with those stoopid glass lids, and a bunch of
useless tools tossed in counting as pieces.

$39...

http://www.epinions.com/hmgd-Cookwar...ium_Stainless_
Steel_Copper_Clad_8_Piece_Cookware_Set/display_~full_specs

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Vox Humana

"PENMART01" > wrote in message

> >you
> >> >

>http://www.hsn.com/cnt/prod/default....b_id=1086738&s
> >> z=0&sf=&dept=&cat=&subcat=&gs=&attr=
> >>
> >> The set pictured isn't worth $39... and if someone put in the effort

> >they'd
> >> find the same set at some schlock shop for $29.

> >Please post a link for a site with a 16 piece cookware set (18/10

stainless
> >with encapsulated disk bottom) for $39. I'm always looking for a

bargain.

> There are better sets than that Puck
> crapola and for less money, not with those stoopid glass lids, and a bunch

of
> useless tools tossed in counting as pieces.

I agree that tossing in the utensils to increase the number of pieces is
sleazy. They are sturdy, but most people probably have them. You can
always give them to someone setting up a new household. I like the lids and
see nothing wrong with them. It's a matter of opinion. I am interested in
your opinion on what would be better for less money.

PENMART01

http://www.rr.com

>"PENMART01" > wrote in message

>> >you
>> >> >

>>http://www.hsn.com/cnt/prod/default....b_id=1086738&s

>> >they'd
>> >
>> >Please post a link for a site with a 16 piece cookware set (18/10

>stainless
>> >with encapsulated disk bottom) for $39. I'm always looking for a

>bargain.
>>
>> There are better sets than that Puck
>> crapola and for less money, not with those stoopid glass lids, and a bunch

>of
>> useless tools tossed in counting as pieces.
>>

>I agree that tossing in the utensils to increase the number of pieces is
>sleazy. They are sturdy, but most people probably have them. You can
>always give them to someone setting up a new household. I like the lids and
>see nothing wrong with them. It's a matter of opinion. I am interested in
>your opinion on what would be better for less money.

I posted a link to a nice 9 piece Millenium set made by Farberware, at
Amazon.com for $39... you can find it at eopinions.com

But for myself I'd not buy a set, I strongly recommend buying individual
pieces... the last piece I bought was a few months ago from Williams-Sonoma (I
mentioned it here) a wonderfully voluptuous 18 quart stock pot by PIAZZA: on
sale at $70. What a great bargain. Was perfect timing for preparing sauce
from tomatoes from my garden. Any PIAZZA pot is better than any pot from
anyone else.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Vox Humana

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> >"Vox Humana"
> >Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking

> >I agree that tossing in the utensils to increase the number of pieces is
> >sleazy. They are sturdy, but most people probably have them. You can
> >always give them to someone setting up a new household. I like the lids

and
> >see nothing wrong with them. It's a matter of opinion. I am interested

in
> >your opinion on what would be better for less money.

> I posted a link to a nice 9 piece Millenium set made by Farberware, at
> Amazon.com for $39... you can find it at eopinions.com
>
> But for myself I'd not buy a set, I strongly recommend buying individual
> pieces... the last piece I bought was a few months ago from

Williams-Sonoma (I
> mentioned it here) a wonderfully voluptuous 18 quart stock pot by PIAZZA:

on
> sale at $70. What a great bargain. Was perfect timing for preparing

sauce
> from tomatoes from my garden. Any PIAZZA pot is better than any pot from
> anyone else.

I'll take a look at the Farberware next time I see it in a store. I agree
that buying cookware by the set may not make sense from a functional
standpoint, but manufactures often price open stock such that getting one or
two pieces of open stock costs about the same as getting a set. I do use
all of the pieces that came in my set, but some get used more than others.
I wouldn't have bought the two unlined omelet pans, but when I priced the
pieces I wanted, it was cheaper to get the set. In any case, I think that
good, functional cookware can be had for far less than the outrageous prices
charged for All-Clad and the increasing number of All-Clad knock-offs.