Edwin Pawlowski

Default Proactive or Reactive: Appliance Safety Switches

"Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message >
> My question is, were these safety features designed as a forethought, or
> were they an afterthought? Were we indeed treated to some unwanted
> 'finger foods'?
>
> I know how engineers are, so the question burns like an ember...
>
> Jack Curiosity

As appliances are designed today, all the safety considerations are put in
place.
That was not true years ago. I'm sure a few fingers were sacrificed to get
to that point.

Microwave ovens did always have a door interlock though. I don't recall my
mother's old Bendix front loader having a door lock back in the early'50s.
Designers thought people would have enough common sense not to open the door
when water was sloshing around.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message >
> My question is, were these safety features designed as a forethought, or
> were they an afterthought? Were we indeed treated to some unwanted
> 'finger foods'?
>
> I know how engineers are, so the question burns like an ember...
>
> Jack Curiosity

As appliances are designed today, all the safety considerations are put in
place.
That was not true years ago. I'm sure a few fingers were sacrificed to get
to that point.

Microwave ovens did always have a door interlock though. I don't recall my
mother's old Bendix front loader having a door lock back in the early'50s.
Designers thought people would have enough common sense not to open the door
when water was sloshing around.

Rick & Cyndi

> wrote in message ...
> "Jack Schidt®" > wrote:
>> As I pureed stuff in my FP, and took full note of all its functions, I
>> couldn't help but notice the safety features: you can't run the thing
>> unless the lid is in place. My front load washer is the same; once we
>> hit
>> the green light, there's no opening the door.

>> My question is, were these safety features designed as a forethought, or
>> were they an afterthought? Were we indeed treated to some unwanted
>> 'finger
>> foods'?

>> I know how engineers are, so the question burns like an ember...

> I don't recall ever seeing a FP that would operate with the lid off.
> Be glad you can't open the door on your front load wash while it is in
> use. Do I really need to explain why?

=================

Well... but...ummm... <raising hand hesitantly>... I did find a particular
instance where it was a pain in the ... wallet because the front loader
wouldn't open...

I'd always had and/or used top loaders. With that in mind, anytime I was
using powder detergent I always put it in first and then the clothes after
an inch of water had flowed in. <shrug> I was out of town (Green Bay) and
had to use a laundramat that happened to have some front loaders. Hey cool,
I can watch my clothes spin instead of staring at walls. As you've already
guessed, I put in the soap, closed the door and then commenced to grabbing
clothes to put in... <!> I couldn't open the door!! So I watched an empty
washer get cleaned. <sigh> Positive note? I got to wash my clothes in a
clean washer. Negative? I was out a dollar that I really couldn't afford
to lose at the time. I was in Green Bay for orientation for a new job.

Cyndi Suds

Jack Schidt®

"Rick & Cyndi" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
>> "Jack Schidt®" > wrote:
>>> As I pureed stuff in my FP, and took full note of all its functions, I
>>> couldn't help but notice the safety features: you can't run the thing
>>> unless the lid is in place. My front load washer is the same; once we
>>> hit
>>> the green light, there's no opening the door.

>>> My question is, were these safety features designed as a forethought, or
>>> were they an afterthought? Were we indeed treated to some unwanted
>>> 'finger
>>> foods'?

>>> I know how engineers are, so the question burns like an ember...

>> I don't recall ever seeing a FP that would operate with the lid off.
>> Be glad you can't open the door on your front load wash while it is in
>> use. Do I really need to explain why?

> =================
>
> Well... but...ummm... <raising hand hesitantly>... I did find a particular
> instance where it was a pain in the ... wallet because the front loader
> wouldn't open...
>
> I'd always had and/or used top loaders. With that in mind, anytime I was
> using powder detergent I always put it in first and then the clothes after
> an inch of water had flowed in. <shrug> I was out of town (Green Bay)
> and had to use a laundramat that happened to have some front loaders. Hey
> cool, I can watch my clothes spin instead of staring at walls. As you've
> already guessed, I put in the soap, closed the door and then commenced to
> grabbing clothes to put in... <!> I couldn't open the door!! So I watched
> an empty washer get cleaned. <sigh> Positive note? I got to wash my
> clothes in a clean washer. Negative? I was out a dollar that I really
> couldn't afford to lose at the time. I was in Green Bay for orientation
> for a new job.
>
> Cyndi Suds

Well, the pain of the lost buck is long gone, but you have a funny tale to
tell. Worth a buck, I'd say!

Jack Guffaw

Nancy Young

"Jack Schidt®" wrote:

> As I pureed stuff in my FP, and took full note of all its functions, I
> couldn't help but notice the safety features: you can't run the thing
> unless the lid is in place. My front load washer is the same; once we hit
> the green light, there's no opening the door.
>
> My question is, were these safety features designed as a forethought, or
> were they an afterthought? Were we indeed treated to some unwanted 'finger
> foods'?

I wonder, was the food processor created by the french?

I can stick my hand into my blender any time I wish. I read about a
kid who had his arm torn off when he stuck his arm into a still
spinning washing machine ... I can still open my top loader while
it's spinning.

Who knows. (smile) no answer at all, i know.

nancy

Nancy Young

"Jack Schidt®" wrote:

> As I pureed stuff in my FP, and took full note of all its functions, I
> couldn't help but notice the safety features: you can't run the thing
> unless the lid is in place. My front load washer is the same; once we hit
> the green light, there's no opening the door.
>
> My question is, were these safety features designed as a forethought, or
> were they an afterthought? Were we indeed treated to some unwanted 'finger
> foods'?

I wonder, was the food processor created by the french?

I can stick my hand into my blender any time I wish. I read about a
kid who had his arm torn off when he stuck his arm into a still
spinning washing machine ... I can still open my top loader while
it's spinning.

Who knows. (smile) no answer at all, i know.

nancy
Boron Elgar

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 15:44:37 -0400, Nancy Young >
wrote:

>.. I can still open my top loader while
>it's spinning.

That was great fun for me to do when I was a little kid. I'd open the
lid while the spin cycle was going full speed and put my hand on the
center post and feel the spin. Or we'd try to put a sock on the post &
see who sock could fly farthest.

This is what we were reduced to by growing up before the Internet.

Boron

Boron Elgar

wrote:

>.. I can still open my top loader while
>it's spinning.

That was great fun for me to do when I was a little kid. I'd open the
lid while the spin cycle was going full speed and put my hand on the
center post and feel the spin. Or we'd try to put a sock on the post &
see who sock could fly farthest.

This is what we were reduced to by growing up before the Internet.

Boron

I can remember this dialogue in the appliance stoore;

Why are all the gas-stove controls in front of the stove ?
"So you won't have to reach over a hot burner to adjust it"

Then, why are all the electric stove controls in back ?
"So a child won't accidently turn them on"

????
<rj>

Jack Schidt®

"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 15:44:37 -0400, Nancy Young >
> wrote:
>
>>.. I can still open my top loader while
>>it's spinning.
>>

> That was great fun for me to do when I was a little kid. I'd open the
> lid while the spin cycle was going full speed and put my hand on the
> center post and feel the spin. Or we'd try to put a sock on the post &
> see who sock could fly farthest.
>
> This is what we were reduced to by growing up before the Internet.
>
> Boron

Yes, before the internet, but not before TV, eh? That's my story and I'm
sticking with it.

Jack Sputnik

Steve Calvin

Jack Schidt=AE wrote:
<snip>
sock could fly farthest.

>>This is what we were reduced to by growing up before the Internet.
>>
>>Boron
>>

>=20
>=20
> Yes, before the internet, but not before TV, eh? That's my story and I=

'm=20
> sticking with it.
>=20
> Jack Sputnik=20
>=20
>=20

aw heck Jack, I remember being allowed to watch 1 hour of TV per day -=20
tops. The rest of the time was chores, homework, or "go find=20
something to do". Not to hijack the thread but I think that those "go=20
find something to do" times produced *some* of the best memories of my=20
childhood. Now, don't ask how many of the activities my parents=20
actually knew about. I started to tell them once and they stopped me.=20
:-D

--=20
Steve

Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake
when you make it again.

Tony P.

In article <43Qad.5149$gd1.4935@trnddc08>,
says...

> > wrote in message ...
> > "Jack Schidt®" > wrote:
> >> As I pureed stuff in my FP, and took full note of all its functions, I
> >> couldn't help but notice the safety features: you can't run the thing
> >> unless the lid is in place. My front load washer is the same; once we
> >> hit
> >> the green light, there's no opening the door.

> >> My question is, were these safety features designed as a forethought, or
> >> were they an afterthought? Were we indeed treated to some unwanted
> >> 'finger
> >> foods'?

> >> I know how engineers are, so the question burns like an ember...

> > I don't recall ever seeing a FP that would operate with the lid off.
> > Be glad you can't open the door on your front load wash while it is in
> > use. Do I really need to explain why?

> =================
>
> Well... but...ummm... <raising hand hesitantly>... I did find a particular
> instance where it was a pain in the ... wallet because the front loader
> wouldn't open...
>
> I'd always had and/or used top loaders. With that in mind, anytime I was
> using powder detergent I always put it in first and then the clothes after
> an inch of water had flowed in. <shrug> I was out of town (Green Bay) and
> had to use a laundramat that happened to have some front loaders. Hey cool,
> I can watch my clothes spin instead of staring at walls. As you've already
> guessed, I put in the soap, closed the door and then commenced to grabbing
> clothes to put in... <!> I couldn't open the door!! So I watched an empty
> washer get cleaned. <sigh> Positive note? I got to wash my clothes in a
> clean washer. Negative? I was out a dollar that I really couldn't afford
> to lose at the time. I was in Green Bay for orientation for a new job.

Ah, but front loaders at laundromats are usually equipped with a
detergent receptacle on top of the machine. You pour the liquid or
powder in and the water flows in to the tank from that top port. Mixes
the detergent in nicely.

Jack Schidt®

"<RJ>" > wrote in message
>I can remember this dialogue in the appliance stoore;
>
> Why are all the gas-stove controls in front of the stove ?
> "So you won't have to reach over a hot burner to adjust it"
>
> Then, why are all the electric stove controls in back ?
> "So a child won't accidently turn them on"
>

> ????
> <rj>

You have to dig a bit to find an electric stove with the knobs on the front.
It appears you need to pay a bit extra for that as well.

Jack Amana

Jack Schidt®

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
Jack Schidt® wrote:
<snip>
sock could fly farthest.

>>This is what we were reduced to by growing up before the Internet.
>>
>>Boron
>>

> Yes, before the internet, but not before TV, eh? That's my story and I'm
> sticking with it.
>
> Jack Sputnik

aw heck Jack, I remember being allowed to watch 1 hour of TV per day -
tops. The rest of the time was chores, homework, or "go find
something to do". Not to hijack the thread but I think that those "go
find something to do" times produced *some* of the best memories of my
childhood. Now, don't ask how many of the activities my parents
actually knew about. I started to tell them once and they stopped me.
:-D

Haha! None of my friends or I were allowed much TV either. We'd go out and
'mess around' instead. I used to be quite the dam builder at an early age.
Later on, of course, we'd get in trouble, but that's another story for
another time.

Jack Yout

Jack Schidt®

Jack Schidt® wrote:
<snip>
sock could fly farthest.

>>This is what we were reduced to by growing up before the Internet.
>>
>>Boron
>>

> Yes, before the internet, but not before TV, eh? That's my story and I'm
> sticking with it.
>
> Jack Sputnik

aw heck Jack, I remember being allowed to watch 1 hour of TV per day -
tops. The rest of the time was chores, homework, or "go find
something to do". Not to hijack the thread but I think that those "go
find something to do" times produced *some* of the best memories of my
childhood. Now, don't ask how many of the activities my parents
actually knew about. I started to tell them once and they stopped me.
:-D

Haha! None of my friends or I were allowed much TV either. We'd go out and
'mess around' instead. I used to be quite the dam builder at an early age.
Later on, of course, we'd get in trouble, but that's another story for
another time.

Jack Yout

Doug Freyburger

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> Jack Schidt® wrote:
>
> > My question is, were these safety features designed as a
> > forethought, or were they an afterthought? Were we indeed
> > treated to some unwanted 'finger foods'?

> > I know how engineers are, so the question burns like an ember...

> As appliances are designed today, all the safety considerations
> are put in place. That was not true years ago. I'm sure a few
> fingers were sacrificed to get to that point.

Engineers put in a lot of effort to make their inventions
foolproof, but the problem is to make it through college, get a
degree in the engineering department, make it through the first
years in the field and get to invent stuff, that makes a well
above average intelligence. Engineers don't make good fools
in their attempts to foolproof products.

So products are put out in the market and the general
population supplies clever-er fools than the engineers are
able to be.

"You can make it fool proof but you can't make it damn fool
proof" is a common saying in engineering. The borderline
between fool and damn fool starts out with the engineers the
fools and gradually head towards the damn fools being the ones
who get nominated for Darwin Awards.

> Microwave ovens did always have a door interlock though. I
> don't recall my mother's old Bendix front loader having a door
> lock back in the early'50s. Designers thought people would
> have enough common sense not to open the door when water was
> sloshing around.

Sometimes an engineer CAN think of what's foolish that people
will try. With a conventionally heated oven I will open it up
while it is running, pull out the tray, baste the turkey, push
in the tray, close the door and walk away. NOT a good idea
with a microwave oven that would proceed to reflect its entire
heating output towards the face of the person reaching in to
pull out a turkey to baste it.

Some things engineers CAN think of but still can't figure out
how to handle it. Like putting an egg in its shell into the
nuke and expecting to be able to take out a hard/soft boiled
egg in a minute.

The case of sticking a finger into a spinning blade is something
engineers tend to not think of unless they have siblings who
are carpenters, or until customers do it.

Consider that cars were built for decaes before anyone started
putting seatbelts into them, yet seatbelts were used in aircraft
much earlier than that.
Jack Schidt®

"Doug Freyburger" > wrote in message
om...
> Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
>> Jack Schidt® wrote:
>>
>> > My question is, were these safety features designed as a
>> > forethought, or were they an afterthought? Were we indeed
>> > treated to some unwanted 'finger foods'?

>> > I know how engineers are, so the question burns like an ember...

>> As appliances are designed today, all the safety considerations
>> are put in place. That was not true years ago. I'm sure a few
>> fingers were sacrificed to get to that point.

> Engineers put in a lot of effort to make their inventions
> foolproof, but the problem is to make it through college, get a
> degree in the engineering department, make it through the first
> years in the field and get to invent stuff, that makes a well
> above average intelligence. Engineers don't make good fools
> in their attempts to foolproof products.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA