Gregory Morrow

Default This is what the no-fly-list is for (to keep Cat Stevens out of the USA)

[x-posted to rec.travel.europe and rec.food.cooking...]

Some Guy wrote:

> So this is why the US has a no-fly list.

Yup..don't you LOVE it...???

> The great, FREE, USA has to maintain a list of people to keep out of
> the country just because of what they think. Free speech eh? What a
> crock. The US has become one of the world'a formost Orwellian states,
> right up there with Iran and North Korea.

So sez Chicken Little...

*lol*

> ------------------------
>
> The Former Cat Stevens Gets Plane Diverted
>
> Flight Diverted After Yusuf Islam, Aka Cat Stevens, Found to Be on
> U.S. Watch List
>
> The Associated Press
>
> WASHINGTON Sept. 21, 2004 - A London-to-Washington flight was diverted
> to Maine on Tuesday when it was discovered passenger Yusuf Islam
> formerly known as singer Cat Stevens was on a government watch list
> and barred from entering the country, two federal officials said.
>
> United Airlines Flight 919 was en route to Dulles International
> Airport when the match was made between a passenger and a name on the
> watch list, said Nico Melendez, a spokesman for the Transportation
> Security Administration. The plane was met by federal agents at
> Maine's Bangor International Airport around 3 p.m., Melendez said.
>
> The two federal officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity,
> identified the passenger as Islam. They said Islam was denied entry on
> national security grounds, but had no details about why the peace
> activist

Heh. "Peace activist" my arse. The terms "Muslim" and "peace activist" are
mutually exclusive, there is no such animal as a Muslim "peace activist".

Glad we have a "no fly" list to keep such vermin out of the country. They
can go peddle their rubbish some other place...

--
Best
Greg

Gregory Morrow

Some Guy wrote:

> So this is why the US has a no-fly list.

Yup..don't you LOVE it...???

> The great, FREE, USA has to maintain a list of people to keep out of
> the country just because of what they think. Free speech eh? What a
> crock. The US has become one of the world'a formost Orwellian states,
> right up there with Iran and North Korea.

So sez Chicken Little...

*lol*

> ------------------------
>
> The Former Cat Stevens Gets Plane Diverted
>
> Flight Diverted After Yusuf Islam, Aka Cat Stevens, Found to Be on
> U.S. Watch List
>
> The Associated Press
>
> WASHINGTON Sept. 21, 2004 - A London-to-Washington flight was diverted
> to Maine on Tuesday when it was discovered passenger Yusuf Islam
> formerly known as singer Cat Stevens was on a government watch list
> and barred from entering the country, two federal officials said.
>
> United Airlines Flight 919 was en route to Dulles International
> Airport when the match was made between a passenger and a name on the
> watch list, said Nico Melendez, a spokesman for the Transportation
> Security Administration. The plane was met by federal agents at
> Maine's Bangor International Airport around 3 p.m., Melendez said.
>
> The two federal officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity,
> identified the passenger as Islam. They said Islam was denied entry on
> national security grounds, but had no details about why the peace
> activist

Heh. "Peace activist" my arse. The terms "Muslim" and "peace activist" are
mutually exclusive, there is no such animal as a Muslim "peace activist".

Glad we have a "no fly" list to keep such vermin out of the country. They
can go peddle their rubbish some other place...

--
Best
Greg

Mxsmanic

Gregory Morrow writes:

> Glad we have a "no fly" list to keep such vermin out of the country.

If one of them decides to adopt an alias of Gregory Morrow, you may
change your mind.

Mxsmanic

Gregory Morrow writes:

> Glad we have a "no fly" list to keep such vermin out of the country.

If one of them decides to adopt an alias of Gregory Morrow, you may
change your mind.

Mxsmanic

Gregory Morrow writes:

> Glad we have a "no fly" list to keep such vermin out of the country.

If one of them decides to adopt an alias of Gregory Morrow, you may
change your mind.

Gary L. Dare

Mxsmanic wrote:

>Gregory Morrow writes:
>

>>Glad we have a "no fly" list to keep such vermin out of the country.
>>

>If one of them decides to adopt an alias of Gregory Morrow, you may
>change your mind.

Or Kevin Nelson ...

Or Ted Kennedy ...

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5765143/

Gary L. Dare

Mxsmanic wrote:

>Gregory Morrow writes:
>

>>Glad we have a "no fly" list to keep such vermin out of the country.
>>

>If one of them decides to adopt an alias of Gregory Morrow, you may
>change your mind.

Or Kevin Nelson ...

Or Ted Kennedy ...

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5765143/

pantagruel

"Gary L. Dare" > wrote in message
> Mxsmanic wrote:
>
> >Gregory Morrow writes:
> >

> >>Glad we have a "no fly" list to keep such vermin out of the country.

I wonder what Mary Jo Koepchne has to say about that.

pantagruel

"Gary L. Dare" > wrote in message
> Mxsmanic wrote:
>
> >Gregory Morrow writes:
> >

> >>Glad we have a "no fly" list to keep such vermin out of the country.

I wonder what Mary Jo Koepchne has to say about that.

WardNA

>> The great, FREE, USA has to maintain a list of people to keep out of
>> the country just because of what they think.

The idea is not to keep them out of the country. It's to keep them out of the
air.

WardNA

>Nope. He's been refused entry into the country.

But that's different than his being on the no-fly list.
WardNA

WardNA > wrote:
>>Nope. He's been refused entry into the country.
>>

> But that's different than his being on the no-fly list.

True, but he was already on the plane and within minutes
of reaching his destination so being on the no-fly list did
not prevent Cat Stevens from boarding a plane and flying.

El21

In Tulsa, OK 17 illegales were stopped by local police on Monday.Local police
contacted INS. INS told local police let them go. Why are we worried about one
individual when they are coming in to the US by the truck load.
Peter Aitken

"WardNA" > wrote in message
> >Nope. He's been refused entry into the country.
> >

> But that's different than his being on the no-fly list.

According to a story in today's paper, the list in people who are "not
allowed to fly into the US." So it's not clear - could he come in by land? I
think the idea is that flights from overseas to the US are the most obvious
targets for terrorists wanting to crash into US targets, hence the list.
Still,nit's just plain stupid to put someone on the list because
(paraphrasing the government) "we think that an organization he gave money
to may have ties to terrorists."

--
Peter Aitken

Pan Ohco

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 00:22:52 -0700, "Gary L. Dare"
> wrote:

>>>Glad we have a "no fly" list to keep such vermin out of the country.
>>>

>>If one of them decides to adopt an alias of Gregory Morrow, you may
>>change your mind.
>>

>Or Kevin Nelson ...
>
>Or Ted Kennedy ...
>
>http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5765143/

May be Kennedy was on a no Drive list.
Pan Ohco
Pan Ohco

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 00:22:52 -0700, "Gary L. Dare"
> wrote:

>>>Glad we have a "no fly" list to keep such vermin out of the country.
>>>

>>If one of them decides to adopt an alias of Gregory Morrow, you may
>>change your mind.
>>

>Or Kevin Nelson ...
>
>Or Ted Kennedy ...
>
>http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5765143/

May be Kennedy was on a no Drive list.
Pan Ohco
Gregory Morrow

> WardNA > wrote:
> >>Nope. He's been refused entry into the country.
> >>

> > But that's different than his being on the no-fly list.

> True, but he was already on the plane and within minutes
> of reaching his destination so being on the no-fly list did
> not prevent Cat Stevens from boarding a plane and flying.

IIRC Stanley the passenger manifests are transmitted to the TSA or whoever
after the passengers have actually checked in and the flight has taken off.
The various foreign governments (in this case the UK) do not act as agents
of the TSA *per se*, they just transmit the passenger manifests to the US
government. There was initially some controversy over this, as some
governments thought it was intrusive and abrogated their sovereign rights
(the Czech Repbublic was one most recently). But it's a requirement now for
US - bound flights, e.g. if the foreign governments don't cooperate in this
matter then their flights cannot receive clearance to land in the USA...

--
Best
Greg

Gregory Morrow

Gregory Morrow > wrote:

> IIRC Stanley the passenger manifests are transmitted to the TSA or whoever
> after the passengers have actually checked in and the flight has taken off.
> The various foreign governments (in this case the UK) do not act as agents
> of the TSA *per se*, they just transmit the passenger manifests to the US
> government. There was initially some controversy over this, as some
> governments thought it was intrusive and abrogated their sovereign rights
> (the Czech Repbublic was one most recently). But it's a requirement now for
> US - bound flights, e.g. if the foreign governments don't cooperate in this
> matter then their flights cannot receive clearance to land in the USA...

But the plane did land in the United States.

Gregory Morrow > wrote:

> IIRC Stanley the passenger manifests are transmitted to the TSA or whoever
> after the passengers have actually checked in and the flight has taken off.
> The various foreign governments (in this case the UK) do not act as agents
> of the TSA *per se*, they just transmit the passenger manifests to the US
> government. There was initially some controversy over this, as some
> governments thought it was intrusive and abrogated their sovereign rights
> (the Czech Repbublic was one most recently). But it's a requirement now for
> US - bound flights, e.g. if the foreign governments don't cooperate in this
> matter then their flights cannot receive clearance to land in the USA...

But the plane did land in the United States.

And, if you read a recent TIME magazine article,

Some 200 aliens crossed the border illegally
every day in southern Arizona......

Think of that next time you have to
provide proof of identity,
have your luggage searched
pass through a metal detector
and
take your shoes off
just to take an airline trip.

????

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 15:45:35 -0500, Pan Ohco > wrote:

>>>If one of them decides to adopt an alias of Gregory Morrow, you may
>>>change your mind.
>>>

>>Or Kevin Nelson ...
>>
>>Or Ted Kennedy ...
>>
>>http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5765143/
>>

>May be Kennedy was on a no Drive list.
>Pan Ohco

<rj>

And, if you read a recent TIME magazine article,

Some 200 aliens crossed the border illegally
every day in southern Arizona......

Think of that next time you have to
provide proof of identity,
have your luggage searched
pass through a metal detector
and
take your shoes off
just to take an airline trip.

????

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 15:45:35 -0500, Pan Ohco > wrote:

>>>If one of them decides to adopt an alias of Gregory Morrow, you may
>>>change your mind.
>>>

>>Or Kevin Nelson ...
>>
>>Or Ted Kennedy ...
>>
>>http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5765143/
>>

>May be Kennedy was on a no Drive list.
>Pan Ohco

<rj>
Anonymous

>>So this is why the US has a no-fly list.

> Yup..don't you LOVE it...???
>

>>The great, FREE, USA has to maintain a list of people to keep out of
>>the country just because of what they think.

and those that make sizeable donations to terrorist organizations.

--
To live outside the law, you must be honest...
(Absolutely Sweet Marie - Blonde on Blonde - 1966)
Mxsmanic

Anonymous writes:

> and those that make sizeable donations to terrorist organizations.

Like the IRA?

Mxsmanic

Anonymous writes:

> and those that make sizeable donations to terrorist organizations.

Like the IRA?

Steve Calvin

Mxsmanic wrote:

> Anonymous writes:
>

>>and those that make sizeable donations to terrorist organizations.

> Like the IRA?

Frank Sinatra's thoughts on terrorists. (sound on)

http://www.beecy.net/frank/

--
Steve

Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake
when you make it again.

Steve Calvin

Mxsmanic wrote:

> Anonymous writes:
>

>>and those that make sizeable donations to terrorist organizations.

> Like the IRA?

Frank Sinatra's thoughts on terrorists. (sound on)

http://www.beecy.net/frank/

--
Steve

Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake
when you make it again.

walamalacalucy

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message . com>...
> "WardNA" > wrote in message
> > >Nope. He's been refused entry into the country.
> > >

> > But that's different than his being on the no-fly list.

> According to a story in today's paper, the list in people who are "not
> allowed to fly into the US." So it's not clear - could he come in by land? I
> think the idea is that flights from overseas to the US are the most obvious
> targets for terrorists wanting to crash into US targets, hence the list.
> Still,nit's just plain stupid to put someone on the list because
> (paraphrasing the government) "we think that an organization he gave money
> to may have ties to terrorists."

So why was Cat Stephens daughter allowed in the country --does she not
have connections with her father!!!!!
walamalacalucy

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message . com>...
> "WardNA" > wrote in message
> > >Nope. He's been refused entry into the country.
> > >

> > But that's different than his being on the no-fly list.

> According to a story in today's paper, the list in people who are "not
> allowed to fly into the US." So it's not clear - could he come in by land? I
> think the idea is that flights from overseas to the US are the most obvious
> targets for terrorists wanting to crash into US targets, hence the list.
> Still,nit's just plain stupid to put someone on the list because
> (paraphrasing the government) "we think that an organization he gave money
> to may have ties to terrorists."

So why was Cat Stephens daughter allowed in the country --does she not
have connections with her father!!!!!
Gregory Morrow

>>Gregory Morrow wrote:

> > IIRC Stanley the passenger manifests are transmitted to the TSA or

whoever
> > after the passengers have actually checked in and the flight has taken

off.
> > The various foreign governments (in this case the UK) do not act as

agents
> > of the TSA *per se*, they just transmit the passenger manifests to the

US
> > government. There was initially some controversy over this, as some
> > governments thought it was intrusive and abrogated their sovereign

rights
> > (the Czech Repbublic was one most recently). But it's a requirement now

for
> > US - bound flights, e.g. if the foreign governments don't cooperate in

this
> > matter then their flights cannot receive clearance to land in the USA...

> But the plane did land in the United States.

That's because United Airlines adheres to the TSA requirements :-)

--
Best
Greg

The Reids

Following up to Steve Calvin

>> Like the IRA?
>>

>Frank Sinatra's thoughts on terrorists. (sound on)
>
>http://www.beecy.net/frank/

things you find on the net, is there one about NORAID.
--
Mike Reid
Wasdale-Lake district-Thames path-London "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email us@ this site

The Reids

Following up to Steve Calvin

>> Like the IRA?
>>

>Frank Sinatra's thoughts on terrorists. (sound on)
>
>http://www.beecy.net/frank/

things you find on the net, is there one about NORAID.
--
Mike Reid
Wasdale-Lake district-Thames path-London "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email us@ this site
Eat-walk-Spain "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" <-- dontuse@ all, it's a spamtrap
The Reids

Following up to The Reids

>is there one about NORAID.

or the Mafia?
--
Mike Reid
Wasdale-Lake district-Thames path-London "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email us@ this site
Eat-walk-Spain "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" <-- dontuse@ all, it's a spamtrap
The Reids

Following up to The Reids

>is there one about NORAID.

or the Mafia?
--
Mike Reid
Wasdale-Lake district-Thames path-London "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email us@ this site
Eat-walk-Spain "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" <-- dontuse@ all, it's a spamtrap
The Reids

Following up to The Reids

>is there one about NORAID.

or the Mafia?
--
Mike Reid
Wasdale-Lake district-Thames path-London "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email us@ this site
Eat-walk-Spain "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" <-- dontuse@ all, it's a spamtrap
abacus

I bet the name Frank Sinatra is on the no-fly list too.