Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Apples and pears and waists

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...being/health-n...

Waist, not weight, key to long life

Putting on the pounds around stomach is short cut to a premature
death

By Jeremy Laurance, Health Editor
Thursday, 13 November 2008
People with a large waist had twice the risk of dying prematurely
compared with people who had slender waists
The size of your waist is a more important determinant of health than
your weight, doctors have found.

--Clip--

The problem is greatest among men. The typical British male has an
apple shape, his stomach bulging over his trousers, whereas women
tend
to the traditional pear shape as they age with weight accumulating on
hips and legs.

A pear shape is healthier than an apple shape but women's waists are
growing, turning them from pears to apples,

John Kane Kingston ON Canada

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kane" > wrote in message
> http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...being/health-n...
>
> Waist, not weight, key to long life
>

> Putting on the pounds around stomach is short cut to a premature
> death

I have seen this--for years. What's troubling about it is, these builds run
in families. It's like warning people not to have blue eyes. A better
warning might be, "keep the blubber off." I cannot believe gaining 30 lbs
all in your ass can be healthy either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kane wrote:
> http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...being/health-n...
>
> Waist, not weight, key to long life
>

> Putting on the pounds around stomach is short cut to a premature
> death
>

> By Jeremy Laurance, Health Editor
> Thursday, 13 November 2008
> People with a large waist had twice the risk of dying prematurely
> compared with people who had slender waists
> The size of your waist is a more important determinant of health than
> your weight, doctors have found.
>
> --Clip--
>
> The problem is greatest among men. The typical British male has an
> apple shape, his stomach bulging over his trousers, whereas women
> tend
> to the traditional pear shape as they age with weight accumulating on
> hips and legs.
>
> A pear shape is healthier than an apple shape but women's waists are
> growing, turning them from pears to apples,
>

> John Kane Kingston ON Canada

And this seems to tie in with the just-released statin study. I
have avoided taking statins, but now it seems they would benefit
an apple like me.

--
Jean B.