Katra

Default Pig ears??? :-o

Lynn gets stuff from the food bank, and it's not unusual for them to put
stuff in the boxes that nobody wants...

She gifted me with a package of frozen and cleaned pig ears this
morning! :-P Something I would NEVER buy! I asked her why she did not
just cook them up for her rottweilers and she said that since I do eat
pigs feet, she thought I might be interested.

Thanks. <bleah!>

So, now I have this package of about 1 lb. of frozen pig ears.

I'm thinking about just simmering them until they are soft, then letting
them cool and offering them to my own dogs. I know that my border collie
would probably be delighted. ;-) All 4 dogs enjoy the smoked/dried pig
ear chewies from the feed store, as well as the freeze dried pig snouts.

Anyone else know what these are good for?

TIA,
K.

--
>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby >,,<

Socks

Katra wrote:

> Anyone else know what these are good for?

you can make a silk purse, but it is a lot of work:

http://libraries.mit.edu/archives/exhibits/purse/

Katra

In article >,
"Socks" > wrote:

> Katra wrote:
>
> > Anyone else know what these are good for?

> you can make a silk purse, but it is a lot of work:
>
> http://libraries.mit.edu/archives/exhibits/purse/

Cute, but not what I had in mind...... ;-)

K.

--
>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby >,,<

Katra

In article >,
Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 15:36:54 -0600, Katra >
> wrote:
>
> >Lynn gets stuff from the food bank, and it's not unusual for them to put
> >stuff in the boxes that nobody wants...

> Maybe she should give it back and have them give it to soemone who'd
> be able to use them.
>
> -sw

I don't know why she does not...
Heaven knows that _I_ don't need stuff from the food bank! :-(
I donate to them regularly.

Hey, I thought you plonked me? <G>

K.

--
>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby >,,<

Arri London

Katra wrote:

> Lynn gets stuff from the food bank, and it's not unusual for them to put
> stuff in the boxes that nobody wants...
>
> She gifted me with a package of frozen and cleaned pig ears this
> morning! :-P Something I would NEVER buy! I asked her why she did not
> just cook them up for her rottweilers and she said that since I do eat
> pigs feet, she thought I might be interested.
>
> Thanks. <bleah!>
>
> So, now I have this package of about 1 lb. of frozen pig ears.
>
> I'm thinking about just simmering them until they are soft, then letting
> them cool and offering them to my own dogs. I know that my border collie
> would probably be delighted. ;-) All 4 dogs enjoy the smoked/dried pig
> ear chewies from the feed store, as well as the freeze dried pig snouts.
>
> Anyone else know what these are good for?
>
> TIA,
> K.

Can put them into menudo along with the tripe. Or simmer them until
soft, then bread them and fry them. Or pickle them like the trotters. Or
cook them with sauerkraut.

jammer

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 17:42:05 -0700, Arri London >
wrote:

>Katra wrote:
>>
>> Lynn gets stuff from the food bank, and it's not unusual for them to put
>> stuff in the boxes that nobody wants...
>>
>> She gifted me with a package of frozen and cleaned pig ears this
>> morning! :-P Something I would NEVER buy! I asked her why she did not
>> just cook them up for her rottweilers and she said that since I do eat
>> pigs feet, she thought I might be interested.
>>
>> Thanks. <bleah!>
>>
>> So, now I have this package of about 1 lb. of frozen pig ears.
>>
>> I'm thinking about just simmering them until they are soft, then letting
>> them cool and offering them to my own dogs. I know that my border collie
>> would probably be delighted. ;-) All 4 dogs enjoy the smoked/dried pig
>> ear chewies from the feed store, as well as the freeze dried pig snouts.
>>
>> Anyone else know what these are good for?
>>
>> TIA,
>> K.
>>

>Can put them into menudo along with the tripe. Or simmer them until
>soft, then bread them and fry them. Or pickle them like the trotters. Or
>cook them with sauerkraut.

Or wrap in newspaper and dispose of them!

Katra

In article >,
Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 18:01:53 -0600, Katra >
> wrote:
>
> >Hey, I thought you plonked me? <G>

> Only in austin.general. Anybody who responds to travid more than 3
> times get plonked, and not just by me.
>
> -sw

Okay. ;-)

K.

--
>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby >,,<

Katra

In article >, Arri London >
wrote:

> Katra wrote:
> >
> > Lynn gets stuff from the food bank, and it's not unusual for them to put
> > stuff in the boxes that nobody wants...
> >
> > She gifted me with a package of frozen and cleaned pig ears this
> > morning! :-P Something I would NEVER buy! I asked her why she did not
> > just cook them up for her rottweilers and she said that since I do eat
> > pigs feet, she thought I might be interested.
> >
> > Thanks. <bleah!>
> >
> > So, now I have this package of about 1 lb. of frozen pig ears.
> >
> > I'm thinking about just simmering them until they are soft, then letting
> > them cool and offering them to my own dogs. I know that my border collie
> > would probably be delighted. ;-) All 4 dogs enjoy the smoked/dried pig
> > ear chewies from the feed store, as well as the freeze dried pig snouts.
> >
> > Anyone else know what these are good for?
> >
> > TIA,
> > K.
> >

> Can put them into menudo along with the tripe. Or simmer them until
> soft, then bread them and fry them. Or pickle them like the trotters. Or
> cook them with sauerkraut.

Well, I DO cook trotters...
What is the consistency of them when they are done?

I normally do trotters with white northern beans, or lentils.

K.

--
>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby >,,<

Ariane Jenkins

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 15:36:54 -0600, Katra > wrote:
[snip]
> So, now I have this package of about 1 lb. of frozen pig ears.

[snip]

I've only ever eaten them prepared in one way... An Asian
grocery store down near Cincinnati has them in the take-out section.
My guess is that they've been braised for a long time in a savory
sauce, probably a combination of five spice powder, soy sauce, sherry,
garlic, and oyster sauce. They let it cool, then slice thinly and
sprinkle with minced cilantro. It's pretty good, the ears take on the
flavors of the sauce and have a slight crunch to them because of the
cartilage.

Ariane

Rodney Myrvaagnes

wrote:

>Lynn gets stuff from the food bank, and it's not unusual for them to put
>stuff in the boxes that nobody wants...
>
>She gifted me with a package of frozen and cleaned pig ears this
>morning! :-P Something I would NEVER buy! I asked her why she did not
>just cook them up for her rottweilers and she said that since I do eat
>pigs feet, she thought I might be interested.
>
>Thanks. <bleah!>
>
>So, now I have this package of about 1 lb. of frozen pig ears.
>
>I'm thinking about just simmering them until they are soft, then letting
>them cool and offering them to my own dogs. I know that my border collie
>would probably be delighted. ;-) All 4 dogs enjoy the smoked/dried pig
>ear chewies from the feed store, as well as the freeze dried pig snouts.

They can be salted down in layers for a couple of days, then boiled
and cut in strips eat. Tails and rind the same way.

If you are going to give them to th edog I wouldn't go to that much
trouble, but it is your dog. :-)

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

Does one child rape really change Strom Thurmond's lifetime record?
For better or worse?

Katra

In article >,
jammer > wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 17:42:05 -0700, Arri London >
> wrote:
>
> >Katra wrote:
> >>
> >> Lynn gets stuff from the food bank, and it's not unusual for them to put
> >> stuff in the boxes that nobody wants...
> >>
> >> She gifted me with a package of frozen and cleaned pig ears this
> >> morning! :-P Something I would NEVER buy! I asked her why she did not
> >> just cook them up for her rottweilers and she said that since I do eat
> >> pigs feet, she thought I might be interested.
> >>
> >> Thanks. <bleah!>
> >>
> >> So, now I have this package of about 1 lb. of frozen pig ears.
> >>
> >> I'm thinking about just simmering them until they are soft, then letting
> >> them cool and offering them to my own dogs. I know that my border collie
> >> would probably be delighted. ;-) All 4 dogs enjoy the smoked/dried pig
> >> ear chewies from the feed store, as well as the freeze dried pig snouts.
> >>
> >> Anyone else know what these are good for?
> >>
> >> TIA,
> >> K.
> >>

> >Can put them into menudo along with the tripe. Or simmer them until
> >soft, then bread them and fry them. Or pickle them like the trotters. Or
> >cook them with sauerkraut.

> Or wrap in newspaper and dispose of them!

I'll feed them to the dogs before I'd just trash them. ;-)

I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas.

I don't do Menudo either. <G>

I usually pressure cook trotters with white beans and onions, or
lentils, or sometimes split peas.

K.

--
>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby >,,<

Katra

In article >,
Ariane Jenkins > wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 15:36:54 -0600, Katra > wrote:
> [snip]
> > So, now I have this package of about 1 lb. of frozen pig ears.

> [snip]
>
> I've only ever eaten them prepared in one way... An Asian
> grocery store down near Cincinnati has them in the take-out section.
> My guess is that they've been braised for a long time in a savory
> sauce, probably a combination of five spice powder, soy sauce, sherry,
> garlic, and oyster sauce. They let it cool, then slice thinly and
> sprinkle with minced cilantro. It's pretty good, the ears take on the
> flavors of the sauce and have a slight crunch to them because of the
> cartilage.
>
> Ariane

Interesting, thanks! :-)
Braising I can do...... I might just get up the nerve
to try them.

Maybe. <G>

K. (who has eaten rattlesnake.... and enjoyed it!)

--
>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby >,,<

Katra

In article >,
Rodney Myrvaagnes > wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 15:36:54 -0600, Katra >
> wrote:
>
> >Lynn gets stuff from the food bank, and it's not unusual for them to put
> >stuff in the boxes that nobody wants...
> >
> >She gifted me with a package of frozen and cleaned pig ears this
> >morning! :-P Something I would NEVER buy! I asked her why she did not
> >just cook them up for her rottweilers and she said that since I do eat
> >pigs feet, she thought I might be interested.
> >
> >Thanks. <bleah!>
> >
> >So, now I have this package of about 1 lb. of frozen pig ears.
> >
> >I'm thinking about just simmering them until they are soft, then letting
> >them cool and offering them to my own dogs. I know that my border collie
> >would probably be delighted. ;-) All 4 dogs enjoy the smoked/dried pig
> >ear chewies from the feed store, as well as the freeze dried pig snouts.
> >

> They can be salted down in layers for a couple of days, then boiled
> and cut in strips eat. Tails and rind the same way.
>
> If you are going to give them to th edog I wouldn't go to that much
> trouble, but it is your dog. :-)
>

> Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

Nuthin wrong with spoiling the puppy mutts from time to time. ;-)

They (the pig ears) are currently residing in the freezer, so the jury
is still out as to whether or not I'll get the nerve to try them in a
dish, or make dog food out of them. <G>

The input has been enlightening!

K.

--
>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby >,,<

Katra

In article >,
Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 15:36:54 -0600, Katra >
> wrote:
>
> >So, now I have this package of about 1 lb. of frozen pig ears.

> Salt them for a few days. then put 'em on the smoker, with light
> smoke, for 6-8 hours at 225F. Then use as you would bacon or ham
> hocks.
>
> Don't give em to the dogs.
>
> -sw

Another interesting idea. :-)

Thanks!

K.

--
>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby >,,<

Jean Clarke

The Brazilians use them in a traditional Sunday fare. I do not know how
to spell it but just as a way to remember it I refer to it as, " Frez
Whader." It is very delicious and quite a substantial stew-like meal.
Please forgive my phonetic crash-up...... I wish too, that I had the
recipe to give you.

Just a Jeanie

Katra

In article >,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> Katra > wrote in
> :
>
> > In article >,
> > (Jean Clarke) wrote:
> >
> >> The Brazilians use them in a traditional Sunday fare. I do not know
> >> how to spell it but just as a way to remember it I refer to it as, "
> >> Frez Whader." It is very delicious and quite a substantial stew-like
> >> meal. Please forgive my phonetic crash-up...... I wish too, that I
> >> had the recipe to give you.
> >>
> >> Just a Jeanie
> >>

> > That's ok. :-) Any input on this is most welcome! <G>
> > I'm pretty adventurous when it comes to trying new things,
> > but just the "presentation" of these in the package is kind
> > of a turn off! LOL!
> >
> > But then, so are chicken feet, but since mom used to fix them when
> > I was a very young child, I grew up liking those. In fact, there are
> > some in the freezer right now that I need to use up and winter
> > weather is perfect for making a stock from chicken feet...
> >
> > I'll bet if nothing else, pig ears would make a rich pork stock.
> >
> > K.
> >

> Wonder if they could be cooked up in a sauce like chicherones?

Someone suggested something similar. Simmering them soft, then frying
them.

I have a few "ears" and they are rather large, so I might play with them
a bit. I'm brave. <G>

If they turn out gross, the dogs are always eager.......

K.

--
>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby >,,<

Arri London

jammer wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 17:42:05 -0700, Arri London >
> wrote:
>
> >Katra wrote:
> >>
> >> Lynn gets stuff from the food bank, and it's not unusual for them to put
> >> stuff in the boxes that nobody wants...
> >>
> >> She gifted me with a package of frozen and cleaned pig ears this
> >> morning! :-P Something I would NEVER buy! I asked her why she did not
> >> just cook them up for her rottweilers and she said that since I do eat
> >> pigs feet, she thought I might be interested.
> >>
> >> Thanks. <bleah!>
> >>
> >> So, now I have this package of about 1 lb. of frozen pig ears.
> >>
> >> I'm thinking about just simmering them until they are soft, then letting
> >> them cool and offering them to my own dogs. I know that my border collie
> >> would probably be delighted. ;-) All 4 dogs enjoy the smoked/dried pig
> >> ear chewies from the feed store, as well as the freeze dried pig snouts.
> >>
> >> Anyone else know what these are good for?
> >>
> >> TIA,
> >> K.
> >>

> >Can put them into menudo along with the tripe. Or simmer them until
> >soft, then bread them and fry them. Or pickle them like the trotters. Or
> >cook them with sauerkraut.

> Or wrap in newspaper and dispose of them!

Wasting perfectly edible and palatable food (which pigs' ear most
certainly are) is stupid of course.
Arri London

Katra wrote:

> In article >,
> jammer > wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 17:42:05 -0700, Arri London >
> > wrote:

> > >Can put them into menudo along with the tripe. Or simmer them until
> > >soft, then bread them and fry them. Or pickle them like the trotters. Or
> > >cook them with sauerkraut.

> > Or wrap in newspaper and dispose of them!
> >

> I'll feed them to the dogs before I'd just trash them. ;-)
>
> I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas.
>
> I don't do Menudo either. <G>
>
> I usually pressure cook trotters with white beans and onions, or
> lentils, or sometimes split peas.
>
> K.

So cook the pig ears the same way. Once they are cut up, you probably
can't tell the difference anyway.

Arri London

Katra wrote:

> In article >, Arri London >
> wrote:
>
> > Katra wrote:
> > >
> > > Lynn gets stuff from the food bank, and it's not unusual for them to put
> > > stuff in the boxes that nobody wants...
> > >
> > > She gifted me with a package of frozen and cleaned pig ears this
> > > morning! :-P Something I would NEVER buy! I asked her why she did not
> > > just cook them up for her rottweilers and she said that since I do eat
> > > pigs feet, she thought I might be interested.
> > >
> > > Thanks. <bleah!>
> > >
> > > So, now I have this package of about 1 lb. of frozen pig ears.
> > >
> > > I'm thinking about just simmering them until they are soft, then letting
> > > them cool and offering them to my own dogs. I know that my border collie
> > > would probably be delighted. ;-) All 4 dogs enjoy the smoked/dried pig
> > > ear chewies from the feed store, as well as the freeze dried pig snouts.
> > >
> > > Anyone else know what these are good for?
> > >
> > > TIA,
> > > K.
> > >

> > Can put them into menudo along with the tripe. Or simmer them until
> > soft, then bread them and fry them. Or pickle them like the trotters. Or
> > cook them with sauerkraut.

> Well, I DO cook trotters...
> What is the consistency of them when they are done?
>
> I normally do trotters with white northern beans, or lentils.
>
> K.

Slightly chewy. Cut them into small strips or squares.
Wayne Boatwright

Katra > wrote in news:Katra-E33209.13362511012004
@corp.supernews.com:

>> Wonder if they could be cooked up in a sauce like chicherones?

> Someone suggested something similar. Simmering them soft, then frying
> them.
>
> I have a few "ears" and they are rather large, so I might play with them
> a bit. I'm brave. <G>
>
> If they turn out gross, the dogs are always eager.......

There was a Mexican restaurant near where I lived in Ohio whose
owners/cooks were an aged couple from Guadalajara and produced some of the
best food I've ever eaten. We became quasi-friends and once they suggested
they prepare us chicherones on our next visit. I became fixated on them
for the rest of the time we lived there, calling and pre-ordering them on
almost every visit. The pig's ears might just be similar.
Hipot Al

"Arri London" > wrote in message
> jammer wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 17:42:05 -0700, Arri London >
> > wrote:

put

eat

letting

collie

pig

snouts.

> > >Can put them into menudo along with the tripe. Or simmer them until
> > >soft, then bread them and fry them. Or pickle them like the trotters.

Or
> > >cook them with sauerkraut.

> > Or wrap in newspaper and dispose of them!

> Wasting perfectly edible and palatable food (which pigs' ear most
> certainly are) is stupid of course.

I've seen them in a Puerto Rican cafeteria simmering in a steam-table pan
with sliced bananas!

T K

Pig ears??? :-o

From: Katra
Lynn gets stuff from the food bank, and it's not unusual for them to put
stuff in the boxes that nobody wants...
She gifted me with a package of frozen and cleaned pig ears this
morning! :-P Something I would NEVER buy! I asked her why she did not
just cook them up for her rottweilers and she said that since I do eat
pigs feet, she thought I might be interested.
Thanks. <bleah!>
So, now I have this package of about 1 lb. of frozen pig ears.
I'm thinking about just simmering them until they are soft, then letting
them cool and offering them to my own dogs. I know that my border collie
would probably be delighted. ;-) All 4 dogs enjoy the smoked/dried pig
ear chewies from the feed store, as well as the freeze dried pig snouts.
Anyone else know what these are good for?
TIA,
K.

RESPONE: No ideal about how to use pig ears and I doubt people who
receive them know what to do with it either.
DAMN shame this is the crap those food banks are giving to people who
are in need especially with children.

Katra

In article >, Arri London >
wrote:

> jammer wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 17:42:05 -0700, Arri London >
> > wrote:

> > >Can put them into menudo along with the tripe. Or simmer them until
> > >soft, then bread them and fry them. Or pickle them like the trotters. Or
> > >cook them with sauerkraut.

> > Or wrap in newspaper and dispose of them!

> Wasting perfectly edible and palatable food (which pigs' ear most
> certainly are) is stupid of course.

Tch! Be nice. ;-)
They were just joking I'm sure...

Some folks are not as adventurous as others! LOL!

K.

--
>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby >,,<

Katra

In article >, Arri London >
wrote:

> Katra wrote:
> >
> > In article >,
> > jammer > wrote:

> > > Or wrap in newspaper and dispose of them!
> > >

> > I'll feed them to the dogs before I'd just trash them. ;-)
> >
> > I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas.
> >
> > I don't do Menudo either. <G>
> >
> > I usually pressure cook trotters with white beans and onions, or
> > lentils, or sometimes split peas.
> >
> > K.
> >

> So cook the pig ears the same way. Once they are cut up, you probably
> can't tell the difference anyway.

Interesting idea..... :-)
Pressure cookers are handy for stuff like that.

I will probably not get around to trying to cook these for a couple of
weeks since I have to fly to Miami for a week starting next Saturday for
a training seminar. For something like this, I need a weekend to take my
time with the spicing and flavoring.

I'll let everyone know how they come out.

Thanks to all that responded!!! :-D

K.

--
>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby >,,<

Katra

In article >,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> Katra > wrote in news:Katra-E33209.13362511012004
> @corp.supernews.com:
>
> >> Wonder if they could be cooked up in a sauce like chicherones?

> > Someone suggested something similar. Simmering them soft, then frying
> > them.
> >
> > I have a few "ears" and they are rather large, so I might play with them
> > a bit. I'm brave. <G>
> >
> > If they turn out gross, the dogs are always eager.......

> There was a Mexican restaurant near where I lived in Ohio whose
> owners/cooks were an aged couple from Guadalajara and produced some of the
> best food I've ever eaten. We became quasi-friends and once they suggested
> they prepare us chicherones on our next visit. I became fixated on them
> for the rest of the time we lived there, calling and pre-ordering them on
> almost every visit. The pig's ears might just be similar.

I'll let everyone know what happens with these. ;-)

I like chicharones too. Funny thing, for those that have read Atkins
"The New Diet Revolution". In his section for the "fat fast" (which is
something I've tried and I can lose nearly 4 lbs. per week doing it!) is
serving chicharones with sour cream........ and caviar. <G>
Talk about the sublime with the rediculous!

Unfortunately, since the fat fast is so little food, you are hungry all
the time even tho' it's 1,000 kc per day. But it works fast! It's just
hard to stay on it for more than 5 or 6 days.

K.

--
>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby >,,<

Katra

In article >,
"Hipot Al" > wrote:

> "Arri London" > wrote in message
> > jammer wrote:

> put

> eat

> letting

> collie

> pig

> snouts.

> Or
> > >
> > > Or wrap in newspaper and dispose of them!

> > Wasting perfectly edible and palatable food (which pigs' ear most
> > certainly are) is stupid of course.

> I've seen them in a Puerto Rican cafeteria simmering in a steam-table pan
> with sliced bananas!

Hmmmmm... I may be brave when it comes to trying new foods,
but I think I'll draw the line at serving them with fruit! LOL!

K.

--
>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby >,,<

Wayne Boatwright

Katra > wrote in
:

> In article >,
> "Hipot Al" > wrote:

>> put

>> eat

>> letting

>> collie

>> pig

>> snouts.

>> Or

>> > Wasting perfectly edible and palatable food (which pigs' ear most
>> > certainly are) is stupid of course.

>> I've seen them in a Puerto Rican cafeteria simmering in a steam-table
>> pan with sliced bananas!
>>

> Hmmmmm... I may be brave when it comes to trying new foods,
> but I think I'll draw the line at serving them with fruit! LOL!
>
> K.

Ummmmmm! Banana split a la pig's ears!
Katra

In article >,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> Katra > wrote in
> :
>
> > In article >,

> >> put

> >> eat

> >> letting
> >> collie
> >> pig
> >> snouts.

> >> Or

> >> I've seen them in a Puerto Rican cafeteria simmering in a steam-table
> >> pan with sliced bananas!
> >>

> > Hmmmmm... I may be brave when it comes to trying new foods,
> > but I think I'll draw the line at serving them with fruit! LOL!
> >
> > K.
> >

> Ummmmmm! Banana split a la pig's ears!

EWWWWWwwwww :-D

K.

--
>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby >,,<

Pete Romfh

Katra wrote:
> Lynn gets stuff from the food bank, and it's not unusual
> for them to put stuff in the boxes that nobody wants...
>
> She gifted me with a package of frozen and cleaned pig
> ears this morning! :-P Something I would NEVER buy! I
> asked her why she did not just cook them up for her
> rottweilers and she said that since I do eat pigs feet,
> she thought I might be interested.
>
> Thanks. <bleah!>
>
> So, now I have this package of about 1 lb. of frozen pig
> ears.
>
> I'm thinking about just simmering them until they are
> soft, then letting them cool and offering them to my own
> dogs. I know that my border collie would probably be
> delighted. ;-) All 4 dogs enjoy the smoked/dried pig ear
> chewies from the feed store, as well as the freeze dried
> pig snouts.
>
> Anyone else know what these are good for?
>
> TIA,
> K.
>
>> ,,<Cat's Haven Hobby >,,<

Properly prepared, they make a pretty good sandwich.
Take a look at: http://www.deltablues.net/apple.html

Don't knock 'em till you've tried some.

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
promfh at Texas dot net

Katra

In article >,
"Pete Romfh" > wrote:

> Katra wrote:
> > Lynn gets stuff from the food bank, and it's not unusual
> > for them to put stuff in the boxes that nobody wants...
> >
> > She gifted me with a package of frozen and cleaned pig
> > ears this morning! :-P Something I would NEVER buy! I
> > asked her why she did not just cook them up for her
> > rottweilers and she said that since I do eat pigs feet,
> > she thought I might be interested.
> >
> > Thanks. <bleah!>
> >
> > So, now I have this package of about 1 lb. of frozen pig
> > ears.
> >
> > I'm thinking about just simmering them until they are
> > soft, then letting them cool and offering them to my own
> > dogs. I know that my border collie would probably be
> > delighted. ;-) All 4 dogs enjoy the smoked/dried pig ear
> > chewies from the feed store, as well as the freeze dried
> > pig snouts.
> >
> > Anyone else know what these are good for?
> >
> > TIA,
> > K.
> >
> >> ,,<Cat's Haven Hobby >,,<

> http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...e=0&user id=k
> atra
>
> Properly prepared, they make a pretty good sandwich.
> Take a look at: http://www.deltablues.net/apple.html
>
> Don't knock 'em till you've tried some.

I never knock anything until I've tried it. ;-)

But I do draw the line at bugs:

http://www.ent.iastate.edu/Misc/toc.html

Thanks for the site. ;-) I'll czech it out!

K.

--
>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby >,,<

Katra

In article >,
Katra > wrote:

> In article >,
> "Pete Romfh" > wrote:
>
> > Katra wrote:
> > > Lynn gets stuff from the food bank, and it's not unusual
> > > for them to put stuff in the boxes that nobody wants...
> > >
> > > She gifted me with a package of frozen and cleaned pig
> > > ears this morning! :-P Something I would NEVER buy! I
> > > asked her why she did not just cook them up for her
> > > rottweilers and she said that since I do eat pigs feet,
> > > she thought I might be interested.
> > >
> > > Thanks. <bleah!>
> > >
> > > So, now I have this package of about 1 lb. of frozen pig
> > > ears.
> > >
> > > I'm thinking about just simmering them until they are
> > > soft, then letting them cool and offering them to my own
> > > dogs. I know that my border collie would probably be
> > > delighted. ;-) All 4 dogs enjoy the smoked/dried pig ear
> > > chewies from the feed store, as well as the freeze dried
> > > pig snouts.
> > >
> > > Anyone else know what these are good for?
> > >
> > > TIA,
> > > K.
> > >

> > Properly prepared, they make a pretty good sandwich.
> > Take a look at: http://www.deltablues.net/apple.html
> >
> > Don't knock 'em till you've tried some.

> I never knock anything until I've tried it. ;-)
>
> But I do draw the line at bugs:
>
> http://www.ent.iastate.edu/Misc/toc.html
>
> Thanks for the site. ;-) I'll czech it out!
>
> K.
>
> --

Ok, answering my own post here, http://www.deltablues.net/apple.html
According to that site, pressure cooking (like I do with trotters)
appears to be the right approach.

Thinking we will try them with lentils. :-)

K.

--
>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby >,,<

zxcvbob

Katra wrote:

> In article >,
> Rodney Myrvaagnes > wrote:
>

>>On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 15:36:54 -0600, Katra >
>>wrote:
>>

>>>Lynn gets stuff from the food bank, and it's not unusual for them to put
>>>stuff in the boxes that nobody wants...
>>>
>>>She gifted me with a package of frozen and cleaned pig ears this
>>>morning! :-P Something I would NEVER buy! I asked her why she did not
>>>just cook them up for her rottweilers and she said that since I do eat
>>>pigs feet, she thought I might be interested.
>>>
>>>Thanks. <bleah!>
>>>
>>>So, now I have this package of about 1 lb. of frozen pig ears.
>>>
>>>I'm thinking about just simmering them until they are soft, then letting
>>>them cool and offering them to my own dogs. I know that my border collie
>>>would probably be delighted. ;-) All 4 dogs enjoy the smoked/dried pig
>>>ear chewies from the feed store, as well as the freeze dried pig snouts.
>>>

>>They can be salted down in layers for a couple of days, then boiled
>>and cut in strips eat. Tails and rind the same way.
>>
>>If you are going to give them to th edog I wouldn't go to that much
>>trouble, but it is your dog. :-)
>>

>>Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a
>>

> Nuthin wrong with spoiling the puppy mutts from time to time. ;-)
>
> They (the pig ears) are currently residing in the freezer, so the jury
> is still out as to whether or not I'll get the nerve to try them in a
> dish, or make dog food out of them. <G>
>
> The input has been enlightening!
>
> K.

How simmering them for hours to make stock, and then give them to the
dogs. Use the stock as the liquid for a pot of chili.

Bob
blake murphy

wrote:

>So, now I have this package of about 1 lb. of frozen pig ears.
>
>I'm thinking about just simmering them until they are soft, then letting
>them cool and offering them to my own dogs. I know that my border collie
>would probably be delighted. ;-) All 4 dogs enjoy the smoked/dried pig
>ear chewies from the feed store, as well as the freeze dried pig snouts.
>
>Anyone else know what these are good for?
>
>TIA,
>K.

you might google for oriental-type recipes for pig ears. i seem to
recall reading a red-cooked rendition. for that matter, try them on
the grill.

your pal,
petunia

Katra

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 15:36:54 -0600, Katra >
> wrote:
> >
> >So, now I have this package of about 1 lb. of frozen pig ears.
> >
> >I'm thinking about just simmering them until they are soft, then letting
> >them cool and offering them to my own dogs. I know that my border collie
> >would probably be delighted. ;-) All 4 dogs enjoy the smoked/dried pig
> >ear chewies from the feed store, as well as the freeze dried pig snouts.
> >
> >Anyone else know what these are good for?
> >
> >TIA,
> >K.

> you might google for oriental-type recipes for pig ears. i seem to
> recall reading a red-cooked rendition. for that matter, try them on
> the grill.
>
> your pal,
> petunia

Google is our friend. :-)

I'll be dropping out here for a week, I have to fly to Miami
to the Coulter school for a training seminar on a new machine
at work. <sigh> It ought to be fun, but I don't like flying.
OTOH, I might get to enjoy more lobsters! ;-d

I'll probably still post tonight, but if not, I'll see y'all
next weekend! Any hints to get thru airport security would be
appreciated. E-mail me privately. I've already removed the pocket
knives from my purse as I don't want to lose them. One of them
belonged to grandpa so has sentimental value.

I only fly once about every 5 years. It's not my thing.

In the meantime, the ears are still in the freezer. <G>

K.

--
>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby >,,<

Rick & Cyndi

"Katra"

<snip>
:
: I'll be dropping out here for a week, I have to fly to Miami
: to the Coulter school for a training seminar on a new machine
: at work. <sigh> It ought to be fun, but I don't like flying.
: OTOH, I might get to enjoy more lobsters! ;-d
:
: I'll probably still post tonight, but if not, I'll see y'all
: next weekend! Any hints to get thru airport security would be
: appreciated. E-mail me privately. I've already removed the
pocket
: knives from my purse as I don't want to lose them. One of them
: belonged to grandpa so has sentimental value.
:
: I only fly once about every 5 years. It's not my thing.
:
: In the meantime, the ears are still in the freezer. <G>
:
: K.
=========

Enjoy your trip Katra!

Hmm, I just got back from a trip from Florida 2 weeks ago (via
plane).

Let's see, be prepared for most of your jewelry to set off the
metal detectors. Uggh. You already know to take out your
pocketknife. Oh, metal nail files - put in your checked-through
luggage and no lighters. My BIL, last year, bought one of those
very special Collibri (sp?) lighters -as in $ 85.oo ! - and he
was told it was a "torch" and it was forbidden to take onto the
plane. He was taking a day trip for business so he didn't have
any luggage to check it through (but even so, that may have been
a no-no... I don't recall).

Make sure you keep your ID handy - you'll be asked for it a
couple of times. If you're flying through (connecting) Atlanta,
you'll be taking off your shoes when going through the security
check point. Pack yourself a little something to eat since you
won't see a meal onboard. Lastly, since flights to Florida can
be quite full, do try to be at the airport no less than one hour
before your departure.

HTH,
Cyndi

PENMART01

>"Katra"
>
><snip>
>:
>: I'll be dropping out here for a week, I have to fly to Miami
>: to the Coulter school for a training seminar on a new machine
>: at work. <sigh> It ought to be fun, but I don't like flying.
>: OTOH, I might get to enjoy more lobsters! ;-d
>:
>: I'll probably still post tonight, but if not, I'll see y'all
>: next weekend! Any hints to get thru airport security would be
>: appreciated.

Don't wear your underwire bras, your Double Ds can kill a man! LOL

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Katra

In article <hIUNb.79981$8H.116168@attbi_s03>,
"Rick & Cyndi" > wrote:

> "Katra"
>
> <snip>
> :
> : I'll be dropping out here for a week, I have to fly to Miami
> : to the Coulter school for a training seminar on a new machine
> : at work. <sigh> It ought to be fun, but I don't like flying.
> : OTOH, I might get to enjoy more lobsters! ;-d
> :
> : I'll probably still post tonight, but if not, I'll see y'all
> : next weekend! Any hints to get thru airport security would be
> : appreciated. E-mail me privately. I've already removed the
> pocket
> : knives from my purse as I don't want to lose them. One of them
> : belonged to grandpa so has sentimental value.
> :
> : I only fly once about every 5 years. It's not my thing.
> :
> : In the meantime, the ears are still in the freezer. <G>
> :
> : K.
> =========
>
> Enjoy your trip Katra!
>
> Hmm, I just got back from a trip from Florida 2 weeks ago (via
> plane).
>
> Let's see, be prepared for most of your jewelry to set off the
> metal detectors. Uggh. You already know to take out your
> pocketknife. Oh, metal nail files - put in your checked-through
> luggage and no lighters. My BIL, last year, bought one of those
> very special Collibri (sp?) lighters -as in $ 85.oo ! - and he
> was told it was a "torch" and it was forbidden to take onto the
> plane. He was taking a day trip for business so he didn't have
> any luggage to check it through (but even so, that may have been
> a no-no... I don't recall).

Kewl. ;-) I figured on the metal nail file thing and bought some emery
boards. Gotta keep those fingernails in shape. <G> Guys may not
understand...

No lighters. I don't smoke.

> Make sure you keep your ID handy - you'll be asked for it a
> couple of times.

It is handy in the front part of my wallet, thanks! :-)

> If you're flying through (connecting) Atlanta,
> you'll be taking off your shoes when going through the security
> check point. Pack yourself a little something to eat since you
> won't see a meal onboard. Lastly, since flights to Florida can
> be quite full, do try to be at the airport no less than one hour
> before your departure.
>
> HTH,
> Cyndi

Planning for 3 hours prior to leaving, and have already been warned
about no food on flights anymore. <G> I still have plenty of home made
jerky, some shelled sunflower seeds and a package of cheese sticks. :-)

To waste time, I've got some paperbacks and a pocket "Tetris" game.

Danke in spades for responding!

K.

--
>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby >,,<

Pig's Ears? Michael Horowitz General Cooking 18 04-11-2009 11:29 PM
Music to my ears The Cook Preserving 0 08-06-2008 05:36 PM
Recipe for Pig ears [email protected] General Cooking 11 14-05-2005 03:43 AM
My ears must deceive me Nancy Young General Cooking 13 31-05-2004 04:06 PM