Nancy Young

Default My ears must deceive me

I just heard on a show on FoodTV, American Festivals, something like
that, that risotto is a pasta that looks like rice. I almost fell
over. Okay, I didn't really, but I certainly gave the tv a look.

nancy
TOM KAN PA

<< I just heard on a show on FoodTV, American Festivals, something like that,
that risotto is a pasta that looks like rice. >>

____Reply Separator_____

I risotto is a rice that looks like rice!

Nancy Young

TOM KAN PA wrote:

> << I just heard on a show on FoodTV, American Festivals, something like that,
> that risotto is a pasta that looks like rice. >>
>
> ____Reply Separator_____
>
> I risotto is a rice that looks like rice!

I thought I must have heard wrong, so I turned to see the tv, in
disbelief, and they said 'pasta' again. All I can think is
(obviously), it must have been orzo ... or the host was wildly
confused. Got me.

nancy
Paul M. Cook©®

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> TOM KAN PA wrote:
> >
> > << I just heard on a show on FoodTV, American Festivals, something like

that,
> > that risotto is a pasta that looks like rice. >>
> >
> > ____Reply Separator_____
> >
> > I risotto is a rice that looks like rice!

> I thought I must have heard wrong, so I turned to see the tv, in
> disbelief, and they said 'pasta' again. All I can think is
> (obviously), it must have been orzo ... or the host was wildly
> confused. Got me.

Sounds about right, FoodTV doesn't even seem to know what a chef is anymore
or what it takes to be a good one. Substance is no substitute for somebody
who fits the suit.

Paul

Nancy Young

"Paul M. Cook©®" wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> > I thought I must have heard wrong, so I turned to see the tv, in
> > disbelief, and they said 'pasta' again. All I can think is
> > (obviously), it must have been orzo ... or the host was wildly
> > confused. Got me.

> Sounds about right, FoodTV doesn't even seem to know what a chef is anymore
> or what it takes to be a good one. Substance is no substitute for somebody
> who fits the suit.

I have to give them a pass on that, the guy was a host of a show
that covers food festivals, no claims that he's a chef that I know
of. But really, I was taken aback. I hope someone else sees the
show and can tell me I didn't have some kind of dream or something.

American Festivals, it was a pasta sauce competition.

nancy
Cindy Fuller

In article >,
Nancy Young > wrote:

> TOM KAN PA wrote:
> >
> > << I just heard on a show on FoodTV, American Festivals, something like
> > that,
> > that risotto is a pasta that looks like rice. >>
> >
> > ____Reply Separator_____
> >
> > I risotto is a rice that looks like rice!

> I thought I must have heard wrong, so I turned to see the tv, in
> disbelief, and they said 'pasta' again. All I can think is
> (obviously), it must have been orzo ... or the host was wildly
> confused. Got me.
>
> nancy

There's also a rice-shaped pasta called riso. It can be used the same
way as orzo.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
PENMART01

>Dog3 writes:
>
>Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>> I just heard on a show on FoodTV, American Festivals, something like
>> that, that risotto is a pasta that looks like rice. I almost fell
>> over. Okay, I didn't really, but I certainly gave the tv a look.

>Okay, at first I thought you had lost your hearing. Then I decided to do
>some research. I have always thought of risotto as rice. Every website
>I've been on refers risotto to rice as one does pasta to wheat. I think
>it's rice. Shame on you for making my lazy butt actually look something
>up

Yoose research skills SUCK, BIG TIME!

Risotto is *NOT* rice. Risotto is a friggin' *RECIPE* [DUH] (a method of
cooking), one that generally uses rice... but a perfectly good risotto dish can
be prepared with orzo, or a mixture of orzo and rice.

risotto [rih-SAW-toh, ree-ZAW-toh]
An Italian rice specialty made by stirring hot stock into a mixture of rice
(and often chopped onions) that has been sautéed in butter. The stock is added
1/2 cup at a time and the mixture is stirred continually while it cooks until
all the liquid is absorbed before more stock is added. This labor-intensive
technique results in rice that is delectably creamy while the grains remain
separate and firm. Risottos can be flavored variously with ingredients such as
chicken, shellfish, sausage, vegetables, cheese, white wine and herbs. The
famous risotto Milanese is scented with SAFFRON. The use of Italian ARBORIO
RICE is traditional in the preparation of risotto.
---

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

>"Paul M. Kook"
>
>FoodTV doesn't even seem to know what a chef is anymore
>or what it takes to be a good one.

Neither you, friggin' putz... how come you have no show, 'cause yer a
know-nothing idiot... an envious *wish he had a show* *******.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Puester

SomNancy Young wrote:

> I just heard on a show on FoodTV, American Festivals, something like
> that, that risotto is a pasta that looks like rice. I almost fell
> over. Okay, I didn't really, but I certainly gave the tv a look.
>
> nancy

eone is confusing orzo with risotto.

gloria p

Louis Cohen

I may have heard Julia Child or Jacques Pepin say that a particular orzo
dish has a name that was very similar to risotto - the name meant rice-like,
because it was creamy, like a risotto.

----
Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> I just heard on a show on FoodTV, American Festivals, something like
> that, that risotto is a pasta that looks like rice. I almost fell
> over. Okay, I didn't really, but I certainly gave the tv a look.
>
> nancy

Nancy Young

Donna Rose wrote:

> > I have to give them a pass on that, the guy was a host of a show
> > that covers food festivals, no claims that he's a chef that I know
> > of. But really, I was taken aback. I hope someone else sees the
> > show and can tell me I didn't have some kind of dream or something.
> >
> > American Festivals, it was a pasta sauce competition.
> >
> > nancy
> >

> I saw it as well. They definitely said "Risotto is a type of pasta..."
> No, you're not crazy or hallucinating. But that host obviously is.

Oh, thank you!!! (laugh) It was so bizarre that I thought, you
really weren't paying close attention, you must have misunderstood
or missed something they said earlier.

Thanks, Donna. nancy
lacticrat

"ORZO" is a pasta that looks like Rice. In fact it's really cool. But if
they said Risotto then they were totally utterly and completely WRONG!!