Nancy Young

Default Kona coffee, a la Smithfarms

I ordered some coffee from our fellow rfc'er. It was a present.
Well, I don't drink coffee, but decided to try a half a cup just to
see. AWESOME. And I ordered it ground, which I know will make the
purists cringe.

Terrific cup of coffee, I was quite pleased. And no, I do not sell
coffee, I have no financial interest in Smithfarms.
http://www.smithfarms.com

nancy
Gregory Morrow

Nancy Young wrote:

> I ordered some coffee from our fellow rfc'er. It was a present.
> Well, I don't drink coffee, but decided to try a half a cup just to
> see. AWESOME. And I ordered it ground, which I know will make the
> purists cringe.
>
> Terrific cup of coffee, I was quite pleased. And no, I do not sell
> coffee, I have no financial interest in Smithfarms.
> http://www.smithfarms.com

I love their very haimish website with the kitties and the
chameleons...thanks for the input, I've wanted to order from them for
awhiles now and will do so....

--
Best
Greg

j.j.

Hark! I heard "Gregory Morrow" > say:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>
> > I ordered some coffee from our fellow rfc'er. It was a present.
> > Well, I don't drink coffee, but decided to try a half a cup just to
> > see. AWESOME. And I ordered it ground, which I know will make the
> > purists cringe.
> >
> > Terrific cup of coffee, I was quite pleased. And no, I do not sell
> > coffee, I have no financial interest in Smithfarms.
> > http://www.smithfarms.com

> I love their very haimish website with the kitties and the
> chameleons...thanks for the input, I've wanted to order from them for
> awhiles now and will do so....

Yes, it's nice to get an unsolicited opinion from someone you
can trust, even if she won't eat grape jelly on meatballs...

j.j., who's trying Sheryl's recipe on some friends tonight <eg>
Boron Elgar

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 16:50:29 -0500, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>I ordered some coffee from our fellow rfc'er. It was a present.
>Well, I don't drink coffee, but decided to try a half a cup just to
>see. AWESOME. And I ordered it ground, which I know will make the
>purists cringe.
>
>Terrific cup of coffee, I was quite pleased. And no, I do not sell
>coffee, I have no financial interest in Smithfarms.
>http://www.smithfarms.com
>
>nancy

Theirs is the best.

Boron

Fred

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> I ordered some coffee from our fellow rfc'er. It was a present.
> Well, I don't drink coffee, but decided to try a half a cup just to
> see. AWESOME. And I ordered it ground, which I know will make the
> purists cringe.
>
> Terrific cup of coffee, I was quite pleased. And no, I do not sell
> coffee, I have no financial interest in Smithfarms.
> http://www.smithfarms.com
>
> nancy

I like Kona as well. I think it ranks right up there with Jamaican Blue and
like. Incidentally, I sell coffee and always take mine home ground rather
than grinding it at home. Why? Because the commercial burr grinders we
have at the store produces a more uniform and flavorful grind than my home
machines. Since a lb. of coffee only lasts less than a week at our house,
it's always fresh enough. No need to imagine people cringing.

Fred
The Good Gourmet
http://www.thegoodgourmet.com

JimLane

Fred wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>
>>I ordered some coffee from our fellow rfc'er. It was a present.
>>Well, I don't drink coffee, but decided to try a half a cup just to
>>see. AWESOME. And I ordered it ground, which I know will make the
>>purists cringe.
>>
>>Terrific cup of coffee, I was quite pleased. And no, I do not sell
>>coffee, I have no financial interest in Smithfarms.
>>http://www.smithfarms.com
>>
>>nancy

> I like Kona as well. I think it ranks right up there with Jamaican Blue and
> like. Incidentally, I sell coffee and always take mine home ground rather
> than grinding it at home. Why? Because the commercial burr grinders we
> have at the store produces a more uniform and flavorful grind than my home
> machines. Since a lb. of coffee only lasts less than a week at our house,
> it's always fresh enough. No need to imagine people cringing.
>
> Fred
> The Good Gourmet
> http://www.thegoodgourmet.com

The consensus on alt.coffee is that JBM is vastly over rated (I agree. I
first had it in the early 80's. Much ado about nothing). I think most
would prefer Kona or a lot of other beans to JBM.

jim
Boron Elgar

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 23:51:06 -0800, JimLane >
wrote:

>Fred wrote:
>
>> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>>
>>>I ordered some coffee from our fellow rfc'er. It was a present.
>>>Well, I don't drink coffee, but decided to try a half a cup just to
>>>see. AWESOME. And I ordered it ground, which I know will make the
>>>purists cringe.
>>>
>>>Terrific cup of coffee, I was quite pleased. And no, I do not sell
>>>coffee, I have no financial interest in Smithfarms.
>>>http://www.smithfarms.com
>>>
>>>nancy

>> I like Kona as well. I think it ranks right up there with Jamaican Blue and
>> like. Incidentally, I sell coffee and always take mine home ground rather
>> than grinding it at home. Why? Because the commercial burr grinders we
>> have at the store produces a more uniform and flavorful grind than my home
>> machines. Since a lb. of coffee only lasts less than a week at our house,
>> it's always fresh enough. No need to imagine people cringing.
>>
>> Fred
>> The Good Gourmet
>> http://www.thegoodgourmet.com
>>

>The consensus on alt.coffee is that JBM is vastly over rated (I agree. I
>first had it in the early 80's. Much ado about nothing). I think most
>would prefer Kona or a lot of other beans to JBM.

I have had JBM several times & never been impressed. I have found it
had a sourness that I am not fond of in coffee.

One of the most sensual aspects of Kona, OTOH, is its deep and
complex, yet smooth as silk flavor.

Boron
Scott

In article > ,
"Fred" > wrote:

> I like Kona as well. I think it ranks right up there with Jamaican Blue and
> like. Incidentally, I sell coffee and always take mine home ground rather
> than grinding it at home. Why? Because the commercial burr grinders we
> have at the store produces a more uniform and flavorful grind than my home
> machines. Since a lb. of coffee only lasts less than a week at our house,
> it's always fresh enough. No need to imagine people cringing.

Unless you're making espresso, only blade grinders or the worst of burr
grinders will have a significantly worse quality grind compared to a
commercial grinder. My Solis Maestro makes a quite uniform grind for my
vac pot.

Considering that ground coffee stales in less than a day, you're losing
FAR more than you're gaining by grinding at the store.

please mail OT responses only
sf

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 15:22:31 GMT, Scott
> wrote:

> In article > ,
> "Fred" > wrote:
>
> > I like Kona as well. I think it ranks right up there with Jamaican Blue and
> > like. Incidentally, I sell coffee and always take mine home ground rather
> > than grinding it at home. Why? Because the commercial burr grinders we
> > have at the store produces a more uniform and flavorful grind than my home
> > machines. Since a lb. of coffee only lasts less than a week at our house,
> > it's always fresh enough. No need to imagine people cringing.

I agree!

> Unless you're making espresso, only blade grinders or the worst of burr
> grinders will have a significantly worse quality grind compared to a
> commercial grinder. My Solis Maestro makes a quite uniform grind for my
> vac pot.
>
> Considering that ground coffee stales in less than a day, you're losing
> FAR more than you're gaining by grinding at the store.

Baloney. Coffee isn't caviar and it can sit for up to a
week without losing quality if you begin with quality beans.
One of my family members works for Peets, so I get any
coffee I want for free on a weekly basis (and I want it
pre-ground). News flash: The good stuff doesn't degrade
overnight.

Kona is one of Peet's most expensive coffees - it's good -
but it't not my favorite (and it's not "fake" Kona either).
I prefer African or Indonesian. It's a matter of taste. I
like my coffee beans strong, dark roasted & finely ground
(expresso or Arabian). Kenya and Sulawawesi Kalosi are my
favorites to date.

JimLane

sf wrote:

snip

> Baloney. Coffee isn't caviar and it can sit for up to a
> week without losing quality if you begin with quality beans.
> One of my family members works for Peets, so I get any
> coffee I want for free on a weekly basis (and I want it
> pre-ground). News flash: The good stuff doesn't degrade
> overnight.

Just because you cannot taste the falloff does not mean that no one else
can tell the difference. Why don't you take your silliness to alt.coffee
and see how well it flies?

Bwahaaaahaaaaaaaaa!

jim
Gregory Morrow

JimLane wrote:

> sf wrote:
>
> snip
>

> > Baloney. Coffee isn't caviar and it can sit for up to a
> > week without losing quality if you begin with quality beans.
> > One of my family members works for Peets, so I get any
> > coffee I want for free on a weekly basis (and I want it
> > pre-ground). News flash: The good stuff doesn't degrade
> > overnight.
> >

> Just because you cannot taste the falloff does not mean that no one else
> can tell the difference. Why don't you take your silliness to alt.coffee
> and see how well it flies?

Uh, she happens to be correct. I've had and gave away three coffee grinders
over the past years. Why? I can't *stand* the annoying sound of the
grinder first thing in the morning, fiddling with it, cleaning it, it
taking up counter space, etc. I've got better things to do with my
time...it's just another useless appliance IMNSHO.

I get my coffee from a non - chain store on my corner. They let me know
when the freshest stuff comes in (they roast all their own beans). I go
through a pound about every week or so, and I let them grind it. Then it
resides in a zip loc bag in the freezer. Tastes just fine to me and my
guests...very little if any loss of taste. We aren't a bunch of
professional tasters in Sao Paulo or wherever who take a sip and then spit
it out. We just like a nice cuppa Joe...

I like good coffee, but it *is* just coffee - I'm not going to be all anal
to the nth degree about it. As long as it's reasonably good, I'm happy. No
reason to get all silly and snobbish about it. I've got plenty of other
things to be silly and snobbish about ;-)

> Bwahaaaahaaaaaaaaa!

You wouldn't know the difference between good Kona and roasted goat turds,
putz.

--
Best
Greg

Scott

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> Baloney. Coffee isn't caviar and it can sit for up to a
> week without losing quality if you begin with quality beans.
> One of my family members works for Peets, so I get any
> coffee I want for free on a weekly basis (and I want it
> pre-ground). News flash: The good stuff doesn't degrade
> overnight.

The quality of the beans is irrelevant. Roasted whole bean coffee can
remain fine for a week or two, properly stored, but once ground it
stales very quickly. Freshness and bean quality are unrelated.

please mail OT responses only
-L.

Nancy Young > wrote in message >...
> I ordered some coffee from our fellow rfc'er. It was a present.
> Well, I don't drink coffee, but decided to try a half a cup just to
> see. AWESOME. And I ordered it ground, which I know will make the
> purists cringe.
>
> Terrific cup of coffee, I was quite pleased. And no, I do not sell
> coffee, I have no financial interest in Smithfarms.
> http://www.smithfarms.com
>
> nancy

Thanks for letting us know this is an rfc'er. Kona is all I wil
drink, and now I have a new source to try.

-L.
smithfarms pure kona

On 11 Jan 2004 00:21:02 -0800, (-L.) wrote:

>Nancy Young > wrote in message

>> I ordered some coffee from our fellow rfc'er. It was a present.
>> Well, I don't drink coffee, but decided to try a half a cup just to
>> see. AWESOME. And I ordered it ground, which I know will make the
>> purists cringe.
>>
>> Terrific cup of coffee, I was quite pleased. And no, I do not sell
>> coffee, I have no financial interest in Smithfarms.

http://www.smithfarms.com

>> nancy

>Thanks for letting us know this is an rfc'er. Kona is all I wil
>drink, and now I have a new source to try.
>
>-L.

Thank you Nancy and Boron for your really kind words! We sure
appreciate it!!

Just for the record, too, when one says Jamaica BLue Mountain, you are
referring to the national processing plant. JBM can come from
different estates such as Wallenford and Mavis Bank etc and those are
considered the real premium JBMs. Very expensive indeed.

BTW I had to look up the word "haimish" Thanks for the compliment!
We are just farmers.

Wishing you a great day!

with aloha from still dark Kona,
Thunder