Ken Knecht

Default low-fat pie crust?

I love pot pies but am on a low fat diet. The store-bought pie
crusts are very high fat. Can anyone suggest a substitute? (I've
never tried making my own.)

TIA

--
Untie the two knots to email me

"Madness is not a consequence of uncertainty, but of certainty."
Nietzche

Pizen

"Ken Knecht" > wrote in message
> I love pot pies but am on a low fat diet. The store-bought pie
> crusts are very high fat. Can anyone suggest a substitute? (I've
> never tried making my own.)
>
> TIA
>
> --
> Untie the two knots to email me
>
> "Madness is not a consequence of uncertainty, but of certainty."
> Nietzche

You could try Olestra, but many people suffer gastric distress as a
result. Pie doughs by definition are flour, seasoning, fat, and
water. If your diet can't handle that amount of fat, perhaps you
could try a substitute for the pot pie dough. As an example, there
are lower-fat crescent rolls and biscuits that would make an excellent
top dough (bake the pot pie much like you would a cobbler). Other
than those ideas, I can't think of anything else.

--
"Life is hard. Life is harder when
you're stupid". - John Wayne

"Politics is war without bloodshed while
war is politics with bloodshed" - Mao Zedong

'99 FLHRCI

Remove 74 before replying.

Wayne

"Pizen" > wrote in news:Btl0d.43684$Np2.25790
@bignews4.bellsouth.net:

> "Ken Knecht" > wrote in message
>> I love pot pies but am on a low fat diet. The store-bought pie
>> crusts are very high fat. Can anyone suggest a substitute? (I've
>> never tried making my own.)
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> --
>> Untie the two knots to email me
>>
>> "Madness is not a consequence of uncertainty, but of certainty."
>> Nietzche
>>

> You could try Olestra, but many people suffer gastric distress as a
> result. Pie doughs by definition are flour, seasoning, fat, and
> water. If your diet can't handle that amount of fat, perhaps you
> could try a substitute for the pot pie dough. As an example, there
> are lower-fat crescent rolls and biscuits that would make an excellent
> top dough (bake the pot pie much like you would a cobbler). Other
> than those ideas, I can't think of anything else.

I know Olestra is used as a fat substitute in many commercial food
products, but didn't know it was available on its own. Do you know of a
source?

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne

"Pizen" > wrote in news:Btl0d.43684$Np2.25790
@bignews4.bellsouth.net:

> "Ken Knecht" > wrote in message
>> I love pot pies but am on a low fat diet. The store-bought pie
>> crusts are very high fat. Can anyone suggest a substitute? (I've
>> never tried making my own.)
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> --
>> Untie the two knots to email me
>>
>> "Madness is not a consequence of uncertainty, but of certainty."
>> Nietzche
>>

> You could try Olestra, but many people suffer gastric distress as a
> result. Pie doughs by definition are flour, seasoning, fat, and
> water. If your diet can't handle that amount of fat, perhaps you
> could try a substitute for the pot pie dough. As an example, there
> are lower-fat crescent rolls and biscuits that would make an excellent
> top dough (bake the pot pie much like you would a cobbler). Other
> than those ideas, I can't think of anything else.

I know Olestra is used as a fat substitute in many commercial food
products, but didn't know it was available on its own. Do you know of a
source?

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
PENMART01

>Ken Knecht writes"
>
>I love pot pies but am on a low fat diet. The store-bought pie
>crusts are very high fat. Can anyone suggest a substitute? (I've
>never tried making my own.)

Pizza dough works great for pot pies... in fact you'll need no pot.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

PENMART01

>Ken Knecht writes"
>
>I love pot pies but am on a low fat diet. The store-bought pie
>crusts are very high fat. Can anyone suggest a substitute? (I've
>never tried making my own.)

Pizza dough works great for pot pies... in fact you'll need no pot.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
jmk

On 9/10/2004 1:22 PM, Ken Knecht wrote:
> I love pot pies but am on a low fat diet. The store-bought pie
> crusts are very high fat. Can anyone suggest a substitute? (I've
> never tried making my own.)
>
> TIA

- no crust on the bottom, phyllo dough on top
- shepherd's pie (mashed potatoes on top)
- "southern" pie -- low-fat biscuit topping

--
jmk in NC
jmk

On 9/10/2004 1:22 PM, Ken Knecht wrote:
> I love pot pies but am on a low fat diet. The store-bought pie
> crusts are very high fat. Can anyone suggest a substitute? (I've
> never tried making my own.)
>
> TIA

- no crust on the bottom, phyllo dough on top
- shepherd's pie (mashed potatoes on top)
- "southern" pie -- low-fat biscuit topping

--
jmk in NC
Puester

Ken Knecht wrote:

> I love pot pies but am on a low fat diet. The store-bought pie
> crusts are very high fat. Can anyone suggest a substitute? (I've
> never tried making my own.)
>
> TIA
>
> --

Pie crust is fat captured in layers of flour for flakiness.

I'd suggest covering the pot pies with baking powder biscuits
or even corn muffin dough as an alternative.

gloria p
Puester

Ken Knecht wrote:

> I love pot pies but am on a low fat diet. The store-bought pie
> crusts are very high fat. Can anyone suggest a substitute? (I've
> never tried making my own.)
>
> TIA
>
> --

Pie crust is fat captured in layers of flour for flakiness.

I'd suggest covering the pot pies with baking powder biscuits
or even corn muffin dough as an alternative.

gloria p

Puester

Ken Knecht wrote:

> I love pot pies but am on a low fat diet. The store-bought pie
> crusts are very high fat. Can anyone suggest a substitute? (I've
> never tried making my own.)
>
> TIA
>
> --

Pie crust is fat captured in layers of flour for flakiness.

I'd suggest covering the pot pies with baking powder biscuits
or even corn muffin dough as an alternative.

gloria p
Ron Audet

"Puester" > wrote in message
> Ken Knecht wrote:
> >
> > I love pot pies but am on a low fat diet. The store-bought pie
> > crusts are very high fat. Can anyone suggest a substitute? (I've
> > never tried making my own.)
> >
> > TIA

No low-fat pie crust will taste exactly like the real thing, but this
version works for me:

CRUST FOR POT PIE

1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground sage or poultry seasoning (for chicken pie)
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons margarine (the reduced-fat or corn-oil kinds are fine)
1/3 cup skim milk

Combine flour, baking powder, sage or poultry seasoning (if desired), and
salt in a large bowl. Using a pastry blender, cut in the margarine until the
mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk. Form a ball with the dough.
Add a bit more flour if dough is too sticky. Roll out to fit casserole.
Place on dish and prick several times with fork. If desired, sprinkle top of
crust lightly with salt and pepper. Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes, or
until golden brown.

Ron Audet

Pie crust Andy Petro General Cooking 71 13-06-2010 08:22 PM
Pie crust HELP! Outdoorgirl General Cooking 25 22-06-2005 04:25 AM
pie crust Mary Jo Oliver General Cooking 7 28-07-2004 07:27 AM
Crazy Crust Pizza Crust Recipes (moderated) 0 24-11-2003 07:22 PM
Pie Crust michele Baking 18 17-10-2003 07:02 AM